4 replies to this topic

#1 lk4

lk4
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I reviewed the other non-working posts. (hidden extensions, at least one ISO on board, etc etc) but I am still not having any luck.

Obviously, I'm missing something and dont see it.

SDCARD inserted - no problem

Firmware updated - no problem (Jan 1st, 2013, latest one successfully installed)

SDCARD formatted - your recommended formatter would not work on my XP system, I used the HP one, set to FAT32. Successful

Files copied - no problem

iso_filename.txt - created and edited (in notepad) - no problem.

Here's the file structure - anyone see something I missed ?

The "iso_filename.txt" has this entry in it.  (No quotes) "os/Damn-Small-Linux_dsl-4.11.rc2.iso"

Thanks, LK4

==========================================================================

Bold = Drive

Italics ---> Folder

\     = file(s) in the subdirectory

My Computer
> C:

> H: KNOPPIX (cdrom)
---->boot
---->KNOPPIX

> I: Removable Disk (flash card in isostick)
---->config
      \iso_filename.txt 
      \isosel.bin

---->ISO-Stick-Help
      \How to load an ISO Image.txt

---->os
      \Damn-Small-Linux_dsl-4.11.rc2.iso
      \ophcrack-xp-livecd-3.4.0.iso

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Everything looks good there.

To be sure I understand the problem: does the isostick's CDROM show up when you are in an OS? It just will not let you boot from it at all (what exactly happens when you try to boot from it?)

First, can you confirm the sd card is without errors by performing a disk check? On Windows: right-click the sd card, Properties, Tools, Check Now. After the check completes, right-click the drive again and Eject it, then unplug and plug your isostick back in. At the moment, isostick will not read from a volume that was not cleanly unmounted, so that may be the issue.

Also it is worth noting that some BIOSes will not see isostick's CDROM (or will see it but not boot from it) if the computer has another CDROM present. This is especially common in consumer HP laptops. If that is the problem, it can usually be solved by disabling the internal CDROM in the BIOS, or unplugging it.

#3 lk4

lk4
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

The disk check did not report any errors, but ejecting the "removable drive" resulted in an error. "Cannot Eject Volume", "An error  was encountered trying to eject removable disk X:"

On the other hand, ejecting the "knoppix CDROM" worked fine.

I havent attempted any Windows operation other than setting it up and copying ISO's to the flash card (I havent seen any descriptions of those abilities).

I have only tried to boot the key to an onboard ISO, but the 3 computers I tried it on, dont seem to recognize it and simply booted right into Windows.

You bring up a good point about disconnecting the onboard CDROM, although I had hoped that wouldnt be necessary.

I tried a computer with no CDROM installed as per your suggestion and set the boot priority to FDD, USB-CDROM, HDD-0 and it

booted right into the ISOSEL selection screen and let me choose one of the dozen ISO's present. Bootup into the selected OS was perfect.

That's great, it was very cool to see the ISOSEL pop up at last.

Hopefully, I will be able to remove the standard CDROM from the boot up list and reinsert the USB-CDROM instead, hopefully I wont ever have to physically disconnect the internal CDROM.

For those following the thread: The solution, as recommended by "Developer", was to remove/disconnect the internal CDROM which worked great.

I will further test just rearranging the BIOS boot order or disabling the internal CDROM in BIOS as an alternative.

Thank you for your help ! It was also good to know I had everything set up correctly already.

I'll be digging around, looking for an operational overview and manual for this key.

One parting question: Do all the ISO's save their persistent data to a general area on the flash drive, or does each create it's own? (for example: OS preferences and settings etc) Or is it lost ? 

Good Job, this is some fine tech.

LK4

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

I'll be digging around, looking for an operational overview and manual for this key.

At the moment the best resource is the FAQ: http://isostick.com/support/faq/ and these forums.

I am working on doing some quick setup and overview videos, though.

One parting question: Do all the ISO's save their persistent data to a general area on the flash drive, or does each create it's own? (for example: OS preferences and settings etc) Or is it lost ?

They behave the same way as they would with a normal CDROM, so state would be lost unless the ISO you are using happens to give the option to save data somewhere. In that case, you can save to the isostick's flash drive just as you would any other.

You can think of it like having a USB CDROM and a USB Flash drive plugged in at the same time. Other than ISOSEL, that scenario is basically identical to what isostick provides :)

#5 lk4

lk4
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users