17 replies to this topic

#1 Slingshot John

Slingshot John
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

My ISOStick seems to be auto unmounting on 1570 in linux. This has happened in Ubuntu 10.04-64bit and Xubuntu 12.04-64. I updated right away so i'm not sure if it does this on 1562. I'll do a little more experimenting and update as i go. Here is a capture of it on 10.04:

I started the vid as soon as i plugged the ISOStick in. The folder i created does not appear when i plug it in again. If you have questions or have something for me to look up or try, let me know.

Edit:
Same thing in XP-SP3, It unmounts and then remounts as 'isostick emergency recovery'

Does not appear to happen with 1562.

Edited by Slingshot John, 11 August 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#2 mflgrmp

mflgrmp
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm having the same problem on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Several seconds after mounting, both drives dismount and the ISOStick appears to revert to bootloader mode. It only happens with 1570, while 1562 works fine.

#3 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

This seems to be a bug in r1570 caused by an empty microSD card.
I've opened a case and will try to reproduce and fix it as soon as possible.

Until then, please try updating to r1562, then follow the instructions for first-time use here. Then you can update to r1570 and everything should work fine.

Sorry about that! :cheers:
  • Slingshot John likes this

#4 Slingshot John

Slingshot John
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

yep, that did it. Works fine now, thanks

#5 Chris Weiss

Chris Weiss

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

going back to 1562 alone did not correct this for me. I had to also remove the sdcard and add the config folder using a normal card reader. It's possible that this is because I'm using USB passthru on vmware workstation to use the updater in windows due to a libc6 issue on Ubuntu 10.04 x64.

Please add this caveat to the first time use instructions.

Edited by Chris Weiss, 13 August 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#6 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Updated the first-time use instructions as requested. Thanks for the heads-up, will work on this very soon.

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

I believe I've got this one fixed, expect a new beta firmware in the updater some time in the next 24hrs. For now though, way too tired to trust myself to properly commit this to the repository and publish an update.
Took a 12hour debug session. Either I grossly misunderstand C++ default constructors, or it's a bug in the compiler (in gcc's defense, Atmel's latest available branch is 4.4.3, which is pretty freakin' old).

tl;dr - Proposed fix will be published as soon as I recover from a debugging coma. :yawn:

#8 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Okay, beta firmware r1581 is in the updater. Anyone having this issue, please give it a try and let me know if you have any problems!

#9 Slingshot John

Slingshot John
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

ok, so i deleted everything on the card, updated and the beta is not unmounting on an empty sd card, but i just started seeing some other issues while trying to copy files back onto card. Seems after a few seconds of trying to copy the usb disk disappears, i will research more and try to narrow it down when i get time. I can make files and folders but cant copy my iso's. Its possible this is on the computer side, not the usb side.

depending on what file manager i'm using they're I/O errors or 'Drive is not available' or 'directory not available' and the stick has unmounted at that point. I jumped to a couple different firmware versions and this is happening with all of em. Hadn't seen this before i updated to 1581. While i doubt remnants of 1581 remain and screw up the drive after downgrading, maybe its possible? Its not consistent either, sometimes i can get several hundred megs copied before it happens, sometimes i dont get anything copied (sits at 0 and eventually unmounts). If what im copying is small enough i can get it all on no problem.

Posted Image

maybe its something in the addressing, there was an 'ISO' folder last time it was mounted, now its the entire file path...
Posted Image

Edited by Slingshot John, 22 August 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#10 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

You're not the first to report a problem writing iso files. Just to check: can you confirm if writing any large files makes it crash, or if it's just iso files? The simplest test would probably just be to change the extension on one of the isos you can't copy to 'txt' or something, then see if it still crashes. Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't seem to reproduce this bug, but I have a feeling it's a race condition in the code, and may be causing many other issues at the moment. I'm working around the clock to add code so the firmware will produce a log file, which will tell me what happened up to the crash.
  • Slingshot John likes this

#11 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Also, is it by chance an ADATA card? Either way could you also try reseating the card? Thanks.

#12 Slingshot John

Slingshot John
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

this is a PNY card, tried reseating it and that didnt help. tried copying some large video files (2GB mp4) they also failed to copy multiple times. 1st time 353MB was on card upon remount, 2nd was 792MB. After 2nd time i tried to delete the file [again] and was told it was read only (only that file, none others appear to be read only) and it wont let me change attrib to read write - "This is a read only file system." Other odd things are happening too, sometimes the drive doesnt auto mount when i insert it, sometimes it auto-mounts multiple times... sort-of. ie. 4 windows will open and 4 notifications that i inserted a device. Take your time, dont feel too much pressure from me. I know what its like trying to debug issues, especially ones you cant reproduce.

#13 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the update. :cheers:

#14 Slingshot John

Slingshot John
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Ended up reformatting SD card, no matter what i did i couldnt get that file deleted. It always reported as read only and i couldnt change that. I inserted it directly into computer, no luck, i tried in a root file browser, no luck. Started root browser in terminal and this is the output when i entered the files properties:

Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
gstfilesrc.c(867): gst_file_src_create_read (): /GstPlayBin2:play/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstFileSrc:source:
system error: Input/output error

gstfilesrc.c(867): gst_file_src_create_read (): /GstPlayBin2:play/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstFileSrc:source:
system error: Input/output error

(nautilus:3134): TotemPropertiesPage-WARNING **: Couldn't open file:///media/7476-4546/ISO/Movie1.mp4: Could not read from resource.

so it seemed unrecoverable... I could copy other files off the drive, so i did that and reformatted to fix the problem

will be gone for the next few weeks, maybe someone else who has these problems can chime in.

#15 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Please try the new beta firmware r1612 and let me know how it goes.

#16 xaminmo

xaminmo
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Airplanes, Family.
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

This is to confirm that r1612 resolved my isostick crash issues when copying files to a tf card without a /config directory.

I'm on Win7 x64, but the OS shouldn't matter for this type of bug.

#17 Slingshot John

Slingshot John
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

i second that, works for me too.

On another note (you must hate me by now) and maybe i should start a new topic for a different issue, my computer froze on boot just before memory test (or maybe during) with the isostick plugged in when i powered on. I let it sit for about 2 min and pulled the stick, it immediately displayed mem test line and continued booting. Once again, i didnt bother investigating right away, so i'll get back when i can restart the computer and investigate. Its a home built computer btw - MB is a MA790FXT-UD5P with F8n firmware.

Edit: And r1612

Edited by Slingshot John, 09 September 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#18 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

[...] my computer froze on boot just before memory test (or maybe during) with the isostick plugged in when i powered on. I let it sit for about 2 min and pulled the stick, it immediately displayed mem test line and continued booting.

Ah yes, this seems to happen on some machines. I've been calling it the "BIOS Pause Button Feature" :whistling:
Not sure yet what causes it, probably something it doesn't like about the way isostick enumerates over USB.
Thanks for the information, hopefully I can get that fixed soon. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users