Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

File Name: MistyPE
File Submitter: misty
File Submitted: 20 Sep 2013
File Updated: 13 Feb 2018
File Category: Projects

This is a minimalist 32 or 64-bit WinPE/WinFE with a GUI shell (BBLean - based on BlackBox for Windows) - originally created for system deployment, backup, restore and recovery.

Use this project to create WinPE (version 2.*/3.*/4.0/5.*/10.*) in a matter of minutes from Windows installation media - a DVD, local folder, network share or mounted disc image. WAIK/ADK is not required.

There is also an option to collect the necessary files from the host operating system used to run winbuilder - Windows 7/8/8.1 supported. Credit to Erwan.l whose QuickPE project pointed the way to the required commands. This option requires that WinRE be copied from the C: drive - if WinRE was not copied to the C: drive during the Windows install then it won't be possible to use this method.

Project goals -
  • A successful build every time!
  • Clean and simple user interface
  • Good quality instructions
WinBuilder version 82 is included in the download. This project has been tested on Windows Vista (SP1)/7 (SP1)/8/8.1 host Operating Systems and is also reported to be working on Windows XP (SP3).

Please see here for more information and to post feedback - http://reboot.pro/topic/18917-mistype/

Regards,

Misty

Documentation is included in the download and is also available online - http://mistyprojects...ocs/readme.html

For changelog, see here

Click here to download this file
  • farda, devdevadev and r3boot3d like this

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

I like the help info window. It gives a nice explantion of the option.

from

Description=Create WinPE from Windows Vista\2008\7\8\2012\8.1 installation media (DVD, disc image, network share)

to

Description=Create WinPE from Windows Vista\2008\7\8(2012)\8.1 installation media (DVD, disc image, network share)

Suggestion adding 1 more option

from

CHANGE OPTIONS 1-7 AS REQUIRED

to

CHANGE OPTIONS 1-8 AS REQUIRED

Option 8

Yes/No                    Before booting you will be asked "Hit any key to boot from CD"

Could not get a successful build using following sources

Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise Edition 90-Trial Period

Windows 7 SP1 32-bit Enterprise - X17-59183

Attached File  log.zip   7.07KB   1570 downloads

Windows 7 Professional x86 ISO

Windows 7 - X15-65804.iso

Attached File  log.zip   7.07KB   1597 downloads

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Final x86 (32 bit)

7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso

Attached File  log.zip   7.08KB   1569 downloads

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Could not get a successful build using following sources

Is your basedir actually:

G:\- WinBuilder\- projects\MistyPE\MistyPE\

(i.e. containing spaces)? :dubbio:

You know, like:
http://reboot.pro/to...npe-from-a-dvd/

Download available here - http://reboot.pro/fi...le/357-mistype/

IMPORTANT/WARNING - DO NOT USE A PATH (TO WINBUILDER.EXE) CONTAINING SPACES - THE PROJECT WILL NOT WORK IF YOU DO

or the spaces and hyphens are something that Winbuilder added to your log? :unsure:

:cheers:
Wonko

#4 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

no, it has spaces. let me try again by moving it to another non space location. I dont think it would have been a problem, that is since misty fixed the spaces issue in the minixp project.

Moving the project folder to a non spaced location seems to allow the build to be created and boots into BBLean shell.

#5 boulcat

boulcat

• Advanced user
  • 51 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

The topic has changed it seems ;)

Here my tests on the other thread,  to help improve

After correcting, I tried with Win8.1 RTM 6.3.9600
I got the message (normal): This source has not been tested... (I do not have the Win8.1 Preview you've tested).
The building finished successfully :good:

It started well in VmWare, but it is not really conclusive with Win8.1
I have the menu bbLean on a black wallpaper and unfortunately the application freezes.
I'll try later with Win8 even if I am happy with Win8PESE.

With Win8, it works better
I do not have the wallpaper, but the apps works.

2 3 tricks noted at first sight:
no wifi for now, maybe PeNetwork can help, I do not know.
For Opera, it would be good to remove the request for updated.
I do not see the interest of 2 defragmenters.
Good continuation :)

Win7 SP1 x64

it seems to work as desired :)

Shame that Opera does not work, x86, it lacks a browser for x64 architecture or the support for running 32 bit apps.

Small detail, a colorful wallpaper would be more friendly and maybe select the Create ISO by default.

I have not seen either the addition of driver.

A good start but it lacks the explorer shell, for my needs, I hope that it will come :suda: 

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

A good start but it lacks the explorer shell, for my needs, I hope that it will come :suda:

What is the difficult part in "minimalist" that you have difficulties with? :dubbio:

This is a minimalist 32 or 64-bit WinPE with a GUI shell (BBLean - based on BlackBox for Windows).

There are several more "featured" projects, a "minimalist" PE is very likely to be "minimalist", IMNSHO, as soon as you start adding everything (and the kitchen sink :w00t:) it will gradually lose it's status of "minimalist" ;)

For the reasons expressed here:

http://reboot.pro/to...tions/?p=177276

any x64 build cannot even "properly" be called "minimalist", though :ph34r:.

I would say that for a project born just a few days go, it behaves extraordinarily well, I am sure that the few little glitches will be fixed whilst the idea of adding some bloat to it (the Explorer shell) seems to me contradicting the very basic philosophy of the project.

BTW, IF such a thing will be added, it will probably have a much different behaviour (start menu, etc.) in Windows 7 based PE's and in Windows 8 based ones :unsure: (having a PE with the NCI - Nameless Crap Interface - that Windows 8 sports is something that may populate some of my worst nightmares :ph34r:)

bblean is highly configurable, and it is possible to have a "start" button and menu very similar to the original Windows one (with the added possibility of right clicking anywhere).

Can you "detail" what your *needs* are?

Wonko

#7 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

@TheHive
Thanks for testing the project and the feedback. I am now working on adding support if spaces are used in the path - I'm getting there. Sadly (for me) it's not as straightforward as just wrapping everything in quotes!

In terms of adding an option for your suggestion -

Option 8
Yes/No Before booting you will be asked "Hit any key to boot from CD"

Thanks. I'll look at adding this function - but will probably do so in the "Tools\Create ISO" script. The reason for doing so is to keep the options in the main project script to a minimum - what I consider to be the essentials. Not everyone will want or need to make an ISO and those that do could easily tick a box in the Create ISO script.

@boulcat
Thanks also for testing and feedback.

After correcting, I tried with Win8.1 RTM 6.3.9600
I got the message (normal): This source has not been tested... (I do not have the Win8.1 Preview you've tested).
The building finished successfully

It started well in VmWare, but it is not really conclusive with Win8.1
I have the menu bbLean on a black wallpaper and unfortunately the application freezes.
I'll try later with Win8 even if I am happy with Win8PESE.

One of the future advantages of this project is the ability to verify the source files against known builds and tailor the options to suit that build. As an example - in the WinFE script if 6.2.9200 or 9.3.9431 sources are used (assuming they were verified correctly) then different registry values are applied - SanPolicy 4 in this case. As I don't have access to build 6.3.9600 I thought I'd add it at a later date after testing it works ok. Clicking on help in the main project script (in option "1] Attempt to use Existing Cache") will list the source builds currently 'known' to the project.

...2 3 tricks noted at first sight:
no wifi for now, maybe PeNetwork can help, I do not know.
For Opera, it would be good to remove the request for updated.
I do not see the interest of 2 defragmenters.
Good continuation

I'll look into improving network support at a later date. I've never managed to add wifi to a basic build and suspect the overheads are just not worth it. I've not had any issues with missing drivers for my own hardware and much is supported out of the box in WinPE so this has not been a priority - also there is the option to add a driver at runtime via drvload.

I discovered JkDefrag close to the completion of the project - liked it and added it. I'm fine with command line tools, but like the GUI of Defraggler and suspect that others might be more comfortable with this. Simply deselect one of them.

Shame that Opera does not work, x86, it lacks a browser for x64 architecture or the support for running 32 bit apps.

I couldn't find any lightweight 64-bit web browsers and therefore didn't add one - I wanted to keep the download size to a minimum to save Nuno some bandwidth. Opera has been working fine on my own x86 builds - used mainly for reviewing help/instructions (such as http://diddy.boot-land.net/bcdedit/).

Small detail, a colorful wallpaper would be more friendly and maybe select the Create ISO by default.

Support for adding wallpaper is missing in WinPE 4 and 5. I don't know how to get this working natively - any suggestions. If it doesn't add any dependencies to the build then I'll add it. There is an option to set a background via bblean - I'll look into this too. Quick scan of the bblean documents -

Generally, the background can be an image or a dynamically generated gradient. The background is specified in the current style with a line that starts like:

rootCommand: bsetroot -full "backgrounds\your_image.jpg"

Click on bsetroot.exe to get some help with it. See also the documentation for bsetroot.exe.

bbLean uses bsetroot.exe to generate the background and then either displays it on its own or lets Windows set the wallpaper, depending on the setting of 'Smart Wallpaper' in 'Configuration->Graphics'.

Also any processing of the rootCommand may be disabled in 'Configuration->Graphics'.

I removed bsetroot to reduce size, but will look at adding this back as an option for the user.

A good start but it lacks the explorer shell, for my needs, I hope that it will come

I am sorry to disappoint you however this will not be added for the reasons already covered by Wonko (see above)

@Wonko

I would say that for a project born just a few days go, it behaves extraordinarily well, I am sure that the few little glitches will be fixed whilst the idea of adding some bloat to it (the Explorer shell) seems to me contradicting the very basic philosophy of the project.

Thanks for the comments - and for the help and support so far provided in this thread. Just out of curiosity - have you tried it?

Regards

Misty

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

@Wonko
Thanks for the comments - and for the help and support so far provided in this thread. Just out of curiosity - have you tried it?

I only quickly made a build from a Windows 7 .iso (32 bit) I had around, and since the use I expect to do in a PE is "minimal", I did not even think of testing things like network (wired or wireless) and of course I am a "sponsor" of bblean since day one (or two) so found nothing "wrong" in this preliminary test.

About paths with spaces, allow me a little rant :ranting2: .

Using spaces in files or paths is a sure way to make something not work (before or later).
It has been like this since the early days of DOS.
It will be like this on any OS, the SPACE is a SEPARATOR, the whole stuff derives from MS envy on Apple (OS 6 or 7), but Macs used (and possibly use even today) a completely different approach at filesystem level and the workaround (cannot be really thought as a "solution") MS provided with DOS 7.x/Windows 95 has more than one glitch.
It is not like the intended user of a Winbuilder project is a total newbie, the requisite of using not a path/filename containing spaces is not anything actually "important" or "relevant" or precluding "normal" use of the PC.
It reminds me a lot about the Eden.
You are all set in a paradise on Earth, with only one rule, DO NOT eat the fruits of this particular tree (but you can have all the fruit from any other tree in this immense garden) and what you do?
You eat that particular fruit (actually the Devil made you do it :whistling:).

Same thing, here, you can do anything, but DO NOT use path with spaces.
What is the first thing done?
Assume that path with spaces are supported and use them. :frusty:
BTW TheHive :) is innocent, the Devil made him do it ;).

The amount of troubles to have a (maybe) fully path-with-spaces-compliant project (with no guarantee whatsoever to actually reach 100% in a relatively complex project) is so vast that anyone whining :ph34r: about this single limitation should be severely punished!
Crucifixion comes to mind :innocent: :
http://www.imdb.com/...?item=qt0471984

Everyone think of this, why would the good MS guys have changed a few "established" paths containing spaces (and replaced them with path without spaces) in Vista :ph34r: and later?

Wonko

#9 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

The amount of troubles to have a (maybe) fully path-with-spaces-compliant project (with no guarantee whatsoever to actually reach 100% in a relatively complex project) is so vast that anyone whining :ph34r: about this single limitation should be severely punished!
Crucifixion comes to mind :innocent: :
http://www.imdb.com/...?item=qt0471984

I completely disagree - crucifiction is just too fast a punishment!

@Everyone
I discovered what I thought was a serious bug last night and could not get any of the project builds to boot to BBLean shell. After a lot of frustration I traced it back to having unpacked the MistyPE.zip download using Windows 8 (64-bit) built in tools. :frusty:

I'd only just installed this version of Windows as a test environment and hadn't installed 7-zip - which I'd have normally used to unpack the file.

The upload was packed using 7-zip.

Don't know why this happened, but I've included the error messages that were displayed on booting just in case it's an issue for anyone else.

The first message was in a window titled Restrictions -

The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

After closing the above window the following was displayed at the command prompt -

A winpeshl.ini file is present, but no commands were successfully launched. This could be cause by incorrect formatting or an invalid executable name. Please consult the documentation for more information.

Bizarrely all of the files appeared to be there in the correct locations - I checked from the command line in the booted project.

Regards,

Misty

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

I completely disagree - crucifiction is just too fast a punishment!

Well, not really fast, but at least it gets you out in the open air...  ;)
http://www.imdb.com/...?item=qt0471972

As general rules of the thumb (which you just re-discovered) :whistling::

• 64 bit is "evil"
  • Windows 8 is "bad"

I'll let you do the math about what comes out when you add Windows 8 with 64 bit architecture.....:ph34r:

Wonko

#11 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

@Wonko
Call me crazy if you want to - but I actually like Windows 8/8.1. I even like the UI now I've gotten used to it. Windows to go is a major selling point - unfortunatly not available to the great unwashed such as myself - other than the time limited trial I'm currently running. 64-bit on the other hand is completely unnecessary on all of my hardware.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

@Wonko
Call me crazy if you want to - but I actually like Windows 8/8.1. I even like the UI now I've gotten used to it. Windows to go is a major selling point - unfortunatly not available to the great unwashed such as myself - other than the time limited trial I'm currently running. 64-bit on the other hand is completely unnecessary on all of my hardware.

Well, de gustibus.... :)

Personally, with Start is back (or other shell) I find it overall "not that bad", besides the Windows to go feature (which I believe is only included in the "top" versions :unsure:) the good thing I can find in it (though UNneeded for the moment) is the BOOTMGR corrected to work on bigger than 4Kb clusters:
http://www.msfn.org/...an-4k-clusters/
as a matter of fact the good MS guys had it wrong on previous BOOTMGR versions (as NTLDR seemingly works allright on those stupidly large clusters).

What is UNforgiveable, and so utterly "wrong" that should make people cry, is the completely wrong way the search behaves. :frusty:
A couple quotes I agree with from (they are about the "final" 8.1, which I have had not an occasion to test):
https://windowssecre...al-windows-8-1/

Before going through Windows 8.1, I’ll cut directly to the 30-second summary: if you have Windows 8, you’re going to want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. There are a few gotchas (see below), but by and large Win 8.1 is an improvement.
On the other hand, if you’re still using Windows 7 and you’re on the fence about migrating to Windows 8, nothing in Win8.1 will sway your decision to upgrade. For traditional Windows users who are perfectly happy with a mouse, a nice screen, and a comfortable keyboard — and who prefer to not poke at big, blinking boxes — Win8.1 brings nothing new to the table.

Some Windows 8.1 ‘features’ best avoided

Windows 8′s search charm is a bit funky — it doesn’t work the way most people would expect, but at least it isn’t a stoolie for Microsoft. In Windows 8.1, that changes drastically. By default, when you enter search terms into the Charms bar search box, Win8.1 uses the new “Smart Search” feature to search Everywhere — not just your local system but the Internet, too. If you don’t remember to change the drop-down filter box to something else (such as Files), Smart Search sends every search string you enter to Microsoft. Search your files for “pregnant” or “Aryan nation” or “Anonymous” or “HIV,” and those search terms are passed along — with your Microsoft account information — to the company.

Wonko

#13 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

New version

2013.09.21 (Beta)

• Now working with spaces in the path to winbuilder.exe
  • Added option to "Tools\Create ISO" script to remove the "Press any key to boot CD..." prompt.
  • Minor edits to project scripts to further improve error checks, warnings, etc.
  • Changed hard coded paths in "Core\Core Files" and "Shell.Then.End\BlackBox Lean" scripts - replacing with "%ProjectDir%". This should avoid any future errors if I decide to change the project name again.

I've tested several different sources and they seem to be ok following the above changes. Please test and feed back.

Regards,

Misty

P.s. Just because I've (hopefully) added support for spaces in the path doesn't mean you actually have to use them :whistling:

#14 boulcat

boulcat

• Advanced user
  • 51 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

What is the difficult part in "minimalist" that you have difficulties with? :dubbio:

I can understand your choice of bbLean, if the goal is to keep it simple and minimalist.
Nevertheless, explorer shell remains for me the best one, far ahead Mac OS menu bar or other Shell.

Can you "detail" what your *needs* are?

I use PE to repair a computer (backup / restore, antivirus and spyware, deleted file, partitioning, diagnostic ...
and it is also a game to build a PE

I couldn't find any lightweight 64-bit web browsers and therefore didn't add one - I wanted to keep the download size to a minimum to save Nuno some bandwidth. Opera has been working fine on my own x86 builds - used mainly for reviewing help/instructions (such as http://diddy.boot-land.net/bcdedit/).

A browser seems important to me too, to retrieve information on the web.
There is Opera x64, I also saw Cyberbox or Waterfox x64 browser based on Firefox.
but yes, they are not really light.

Support for adding wallpaper is missing in WinPE 4 and 5. ......

I removed bsetroot to reduce size, but will look at adding this back as an option for the user.

look at this key, I beleive HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\ProductOptions
but it should be easier with bblean bsetroot which seems very light.

I'll look into improving network support at a later date. I've never managed to add wifi to a basic build and suspect the overheads are just not worth it. I've not had any issues with missing drivers for my own hardware and much is supported out of the box in WinPE so this has not been a priority - also there is the option to add a driver at runtime via drvload.

For drivers, in my Win8PE, I only added some WLAN drivers and so far I have not had any problems. It would be nice to have wifi in future

P.s. Just because I've (hopefully) added support for spaces in the path doesn't mean you actually have to use them :whistling:

FYI, I just tested successfully Win8PESE with a space in the path, I hope it's good for you too ,now

About 64 bit PE

I am skeptical between what you said and what I've read
It seems necessary for the system restore on a 64 architecture
It may be required to install/reinstall a Windows 64 bit
32 Bit Windows versions don't support UEFI.
There is the limit of 4 Gb. It is maybe not a real concern for WinPE.
and maybe other things

:)

Edited by boulcat, 22 September 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#15 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Thanks. Build with spaces works with this new update. Mainly use spaces and dashes and such to keep things organized within the winbuilder folder that has almost all reboot projects and things related to it.

Added option to "Tools\Create ISO" script to remove the "Press any key to boot CD..." prompt.

Like it in that location.  Makes sense if youre going to build a boot iso.

Didnt see a wallpaper option to choose the custom image. It has the option, but no browse option to point to the image.

Windows 7 PE

Windows 7 PE.jpg

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

@boulcat

The question was more aimed to "which particular features of the Explorer shell are a *need* for you?

As said it is possible to setup bblean in such a way that it behaves and looks very similar to the Explorer shell.

A tool, in my perverted mind, is a tool.

It needs to work, it doesn't normally need to be "nice looking".

About 32 bit vs. 64 bit, most boards currently allow "BIOS compatibility mode", i.e. right now the probabilities of booting a 32 bit bit Windows PE on a "random" failed system are above 99% (completely faked data ;)) : all the BIOS based systems + 99.5% (still faked data) of those EFI/UEFI based.

In the future (I expect several years for this to happen) all or almost all boards/PC's will be EFI/UEFI based and 64 bit, so there will be a reversing of the percentages, but if you are going to repair computers you will be needing both builds/architectures (and also some other booting environments, you never know).

BTW, I am hopeful that some of the good programming guys will make a "generic" EFI/UEFI extension capable of emulating a BIOS, sooner or later. :unsure:

Wonko

#17 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

look at this key, I beleive HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\ProductOptions
but it should be easier with bblean bsetroot which seems very light.

Couldn't see anything in that key in terms of wallpaper settings. Tried using bsetroot and it didn't work with 6.3.9431 or 6.2.9200 sources. Also tried changing the settings in the "DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop" "Wallpaper" key(s). Still not working. Back to the drawing board. Interestingly when this key was edited on WinPE 3.1 it worked - provided that a .bmp type image was used!

Well, de gustibus.... :)

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this doesn't translate as "You're Mad" (or mental, bonkers, crazy, nutter, nut job, a fruit loop, etc). I prefer the English expression - "horses for courses".

Personally, with Start is back (or other shell) I find it overall "not that bad", besides the Windows to go feature (which I believe is only included in the "top" versions :unsure:)...

According to the information I've read, Windows To Go is restricted to "Enterprise" editions of Windows. No surprise really as Microsoft have to try to protect their intellectual property. Windows To Go requires regular activation, usually via a KMS server (following is from here)...

Do I need to activate Windows To Go everytime I roam?

No, Windows To Go requires volume activation; either using the Key Management Service (KMS) server in your organization or using Active Directory based volume activation. The Windows To Go workspace will not need to be reactivated every time you roam. KMS activates Windows on a local network, eliminating the need for individual computers to connect to Microsoft. To remain activated, KMS client computers must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS host on periodic basis. This typically occurs as soon as the user has access to the corporate network (either through a direct connection on-premises or a through remote connection using DirectAccess or a virtual private network connection), once activated the machine will not need to be activated again until the activation validity interval has passed. In a KMS configuration the activation validity interval is 180 days.

...otherwise an activated Windows To Go could greatly assist piracy - unless activation is somehow locked to the device it is first activated/installed on.

Thanks. Build with spaces works with this new update.....

A pleasure. I like the occasional challenge.

Didnt see a wallpaper option to choose the custom image. It has the option, but no browse option to point to the image...

I'll look at adding this to the next release. In the meantime just add "winpe.bmp" to the "\Projects\Cache\Programs\Wallpaper" directory. As you will hopefully be aware from reading the above (and other posts), Wallpaper is not working with/in WinPE 4 or 5.

Regards,

Misty

#18 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

@Everyone
After reading numerous reports that it's possible to add a custom wallpaper to WinPE 5.0 by replacing "winpe.jpg" I thought I'd experiment.

I built a standard WinPE 5.0 (using ADK) with the only customisation being to replace winpe.jpg with a different image. On booting the disk my custom wallpaper was (at long bl**dy last) displayed :1st: .

7-zip can't open the ADK boot.wim file - making it hard to browse it's contents without mounting it.  I :idea:  then noticed that 7-zip could open boot.wim after I'd added my winpe.jpg file and ran the wimlib-imagex optimize command!

Weird - I then noticed that the WinPE 5.0 boot.wim (from ADK) does not have "winpeshl.ini". Despite not containing this file, WinPE does read and apply it's contents if it's added - otherwise bblean would not have been starting up. I then added a command to start bblean via startnet.cmd instead of adding a winpeshl.ini file. On booting this disk my custom wallpaper was momentarily displayed until bblean started - then the black background was again displayed! :censored:

Thus ends my attempts to add wallpaper to WinPE 4 or 5! If anyone else figures this out then I'll be happy to look at adding it to the project.

Regards,

Misty

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this doesn't translate as "You're Mad" (or mental, bonkers, crazy, nutter, nut job, a fruit loop, etc). I prefer the English expression - "horses for courses".

JFYI, the hypothesis you make are not excluded by the latin phrase. :w00t:

In it's complete form of de gustibus non est disputandum (or de gustibus non disputandum est ) it simply means "you don't discuss tastes", which can carry with it two meanings, a more "gentle" one meaning respect for diverging opinions (hence the :) smiley) but also a more "blunt" meaning that it is futile and useless to discuss personal tastes as there will never be a change of opinion based on the discussion.

Since you introduced "horses for courses", there is an Italian proverb that conveys, with far more strength :ph34r:, the implied meaning of the latin phrase:

A lavare la testa all'asino ci si rimette il tempo ed il ranno.

Literally "when you wash a donkey's head you lose the time and the soap".

Which is a popular version of the meaning of the Aesop's Fable known in the English world as "washing the blackamoor white" or "washing the ethiopian white":

http://en.wikipedia....Ethiopian_white

or more common, "a crow is never the whiter for washing"....

So, if you want to feel offended, you actually can ;).

Wonko

#20 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Updated project. Changelog -

* Removed Beta status - following approximately 200
  downloads since the last release and no reports of
  any problems.

* Added .htm type documentation to the MistyPE
  download - documentation also available at -
  http://minixp.reboot.pro/mistype/

* Fixed dd and bootrec scripts - dependancies were not
  being copied during the build.

* Improved "Wallpaper" script - adding browse for file
  box to select a custom image.

* Added settings in the relevant "Tools" scripts to
  ensure that they can't be executed during the project
  build process - applies to "Create a Cache from WinRE"
  and "Load project registry hives" - these are designed
  to be executed pre or post processing!

Regards,

Misty

#21 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Updated project. Changelog -

* WinFE and shell scripts updated to execute WProtect.exe
during the boot process so that disks are write protected
(x86 builds only)

* Documentation edited (winfe.htm).

* Added MWSnap to the included programs.
  • RoyM likes this

#22 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Misty

It is my pleasure to tell you MistyPE runs great under XP-SP3 Spanish version, using as souce Win 7 SP-1 x86 Spanish version.

• misty likes this

#23 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

@alacran
Great news - I've been meaning to test the build process in Windows XP for several weeks but never seen to get the time to set up a VM or install XP on my laptop - I'm easily distracted.

Thanks for the feedback.

#24 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

@misty

1.- Could you please make an Script for disk manager?, it is very usefull for me to resize partitions; or a 3rd. party GUI alternative.

2.- I didn't found a way to change to Spanish keyboard.

3.- How to add some portable applications?, an extras file could be good.

Thanks for this great little tool.

Edited by alacran, 12 October 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#25 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

@misty

1.- Could you please make an Script for disk manager?, it is very usefull for me to resize partitions; or a 3rd. party GUI alternative.

2.- I didn't found a way to change to Spanish keyboard.

3.- How to add some portable applications?, an extras file could be good.

Thanks for this great little tool.

Hi,

1. - If you are referring to the native disk management console then I have no plans to try to add this as there are far too many dependancies. If you know of any lite third party alternatives please let me know. I actually prefer using Diskpart now that I've got my head around the syntax. I have a diskpark guide that I keep meaning to convert to .pdf and include with the project in the future - time permitting.

2. - on the fly keyboard changes is on my list of things to do. Does your build not default to spanish keyboard (you mentioned using spanish source files in a previous post)? Try this for now - http://reboot.pro/fi...layout-changer/. Setting a different keyboard during the build process is also on my to do list. en-GB can currently be set - I'll add spanish and a few others soon.

3. - I generally add programs to a usb drive and use a file manager to launch them.

I'm currently adding the option to add non essential programs (everything currently in the programs section) to the root folder of a CD/DVD/USB - not in boot.wim. I've re-written about half of the program scripts and am working my way through the rest. I'll look at adding keyboard support afterwards. 

Regards

Misty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe10, winpe5, winpe4, winpe3, winpe2, winpe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users