Photo

HP 8770w not recognizing the ISOstick at boot, but when booted it's fine ...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

Is there anything I can help with, e.g. by attaching a JTAG probe to the ISOstick and giving you SSH access to a Linux machine that is connected to the JTAG probe? It shouldn't be a big problem to do this. We could talk during this debug session via Jabber. In case there is interest at all.

It's the first machine I'm trying it on and it didn't work no matter what I tried to change in the BIOS. GRUB4DOS also didn't pick up the CDROM, but in the booted Windows 7 x64 it shows up fine as CDROM plus flash drive. I've tried both with the switch set to r/o and r/w.

The sticks arrived just yesterday via the US. I cheated a bit to get them via Amazon, by asking a colleague located in Florida to forward two of those little things.

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Oops, just noticed this post -- already gave a suggestion about this in another topic.

Let me know if that doesn't work and I will see what we can do :cheers:

#3 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hey, it actually doesn't work. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help debug. As mentioned, it would also be fine to connect one of my ISOsticks to one of my lesser used PCs and give you SSH access to a booted Linux, for example.

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Just to refresh my memory -- the isostick does not show up as a choice in the boot menu on your HP 8770w?

Have you tried just setting it to "USB CDROM" or equivalent?

Also, do you happen to have a real USB CDROM around to test on the same machine?

If a real USB CDROM works, then isostick should work when this feature is implemented: https://trello.com/c/cJ5vI7lP

#5 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hi, and sorry for rebooting so rarely :)

Alright, tried your suggestion today. It won't work.

My BIOS offers the following options for devices to boot from:

• CD-ROM boot
  • SD card boot
  • Floppy boot
  • PXE Internal NIC boot
  • PXE Internal IPv4 NIC boot
  • PXE Internal IPv6 NIC boot
  • USB device boot
  • Upgrade Bay Hard Drive boot
  • eSATA boot
  • HP Application
  • Customized Boot

Additionally it offers the following "boot modes":

• Legacy
  • UEFI Hybrid (With CSM)
  • UEFI Hybrid (Without CSM)

The combination that was active before I tried was CD-ROM bootUSB device bootCustomized Boot. That allowed me to boot from the external USB CD-ROM drive attached while the internal one was still connected. In fact when I plugged it in, this was the first device in the boot order automatically.

I then tried also (with both the external LiteOn CD/DVD-ROM drive and the IsoStick respectively - never plugged in at once, though):

• Customized Boot: nothing
  • CD-ROM boot: nothing
  • CD-ROM bootUSB device boot: boots from external USB CD-ROM drive, but not from IsoStick. Note: pressing F9, i.e. invoking the boot device selection dialog, shows a "USB CD-ROM" in both cases, but only in case of the actual external USB CD-ROM does it boot from there.

Also note: I used the same USB port, i.e. swapped IsoStick for external USB CD-ROM and vice versa during my tests. This was mainly to rule out that a malfunctioning port is used.

Edited by assarbad, 10 April 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#6 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

That workstation looks like a heavy power horse laptop :w00t: Do you have the one with DreamColor RGB LED Display? (sticker near camera) :P

Guess it serves tech companies right till they don't come up with OLEDs...

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

In that case, I think it is probably because isostick shows up as two drives instead of just one.

Here is an item on the to-do list that, when completed, will allow isostick to operate as just a USB CDROM when its switch is in the read-only position. I expect this will solve the problem you are having. Sorry it is taking so long to get it done!

:cheers:

#8 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

Okay, thanks anyway for the feedback. It's possible, yes.

In this case I'd also recommend to add some file under ./config that acts as an indicator whether the selection menu should be shown at all or whether the ISOStick should act as if the file given in iso_filename.txt is always mounted at all times. This would allow to work around some of the situations you mentioned in other posts and not remove flexibility for those not interested in this kind of feature.

#9 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

That workstation looks like a heavy power horse laptop :w00t: Do you have the one with DreamColor RGB LED Display? (sticker near camera) :P

Guess it serves tech companies right till they don't come up with OLEDs...

Oh yeah, I like it. No sticker like that, no.

It's a private laptop, however. Since I like to run several VMs in parallel I needed to get one that was heavy-duty. Also, I use it mainly inside a docking station with two monitors - except when I don't ;)

#10 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

In this case I'd also recommend to add some file under ./config that acts as an indicator whether the selection menu should be shown at all or whether the ISOStick should act as if the file given in iso_filename.txt is always mounted at all times. This would allow to work around some of the situations you mentioned in other posts and not remove flexibility for those not interested in this kind of feature.

Added to the list :cheers:

#11 KroFF

KroFF
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

Same thing with other HP mobile workstations (8710w and 8740w).

#12 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

@KroFF, thanks for the information :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users