#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot but, altho I am logged on to reboot.pro, I have tried numerous time to find a control or icon from which to post a new question- not having found in my searched the answer to my concerns.
I am no newbie but I can't see it anywhere
Thanks
Brian

If I get it right you cannot see on the right top of a Forum page, like:
http://reboot.pro/forum/59/
a button labeled "Start New Topic"? :dubbio:

In any case, WHAT was the question you wanted to ask? (I am failing to see it in your post) :unsure:

:cheers:
Wonko

#27 rollobsam

rollobsam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Wonko, I must be going selectively blind because on numerous occasions I did not see that button and always made sure I was logged in.

My question is that Winbuilder never succeeds in completing the operation successfully.

----I get the errors below every time I try- whether I use the Original legitimate MS Windows upgrade disc or copy those files to my HD.

"Exec - Processed section [Win7PESE-ONBUILDEXIT] in file: [%BaseDir%ProjectsWin7PE_SEscript.project]"

----And when I used a on loan W7 Pro Full Install disc I got this error message:

Cannot create file "%BaseDir%TempWin7PE_SEWimInfo7z.exe". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: [ExtractAllFiles,%ScriptFile%,7z4.65,%ProjectTemp%WimInfo]
---- I did succeed in creating a boot disk without errors a few days ago, but it didn't allow me to access any of my files or run any of my installed progs

Thank you for your time
Brian

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Wonko, I must be going selectively blind because on numerous occasions I did not see that button and always made sure I was logged in.

Good (it's not some exoteric issue with the board with some browser). :good:

Since you now know where the button is, and you can see it, the suggested procedure is the following.

Start a new topic here:
http://reboot.pro/forum/91/
AND - after having read these:
http://reboot.pro/15267/
http://reboot.pro/431/

Get a LOG of your (failed) run (since you are a new member most probably you won't be able to attach the log to your post, but you can upload it to *any* free hosting service and post a link to there).

If a "full-powered" Mod or Admin doesn't fix this, this way Olof will then be able to delete posts #25, #26, #27 and #28 from the present thread and nothing will get lost :) (and things will be ordered and tidy nonetheless).

Wonko

P.S.: the post by sbaeder is referring to the "old" Rules here:
http://reboot.pro/82/
that though replaced by the newish "Site Policies" written in legalese:
http://reboot.pro/about/policies
are more direct to the point when it comes to troubleshooting.

#29 rollobsam

rollobsam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

thanks I'll do a couple more attempts and save the error messages and logs and come back to repost in a day or so

Good (it's not some exoteric issue with the board with some browser). :good:

Since you now know where the button is, and you can see it, the suggested procedure is the following.

Start a new topic here:
http://reboot.pro/forum/91/
AND - after having read these:
http://reboot.pro/15267/
http://reboot.pro/431/

Get a LOG of your (failed) run (since you are a new member most probably you won't be able to attach the log to your post, but you can upload it to *any* free hosting service and post a link to there).

If a "full-powered" Mod or Admin doesn't fix this, this way Olof will then be able to delete posts #25, #26, #27 and #28 from the present thread and nothing will get lost :) (and things will be ordered and tidy nonetheless).

Wonko

P.S.: the post by sbaeder is referring to the "old" Rules here:
http://reboot.pro/82/
that though replaced by the newish "Site Policies" written in legalese:
http://reboot.pro/about/policies
are more direct to the point when it comes to troubleshooting.

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Temporary post, never mind.

Wonko

#31 dutamulia

dutamulia
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hi there, thanks for writing such a great software. I have a newbie question here about physical RAM allocation.

I have two piece of RAM which are 8GB and 4GB one. I want each RAM to do their own part, 4GB one to serve windows and general needs while the 8GB one will be solely for RAMdisk usage. Is it possible to apply such setup? If yes how do i do that? Thanks in advance.

#32 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Point 5 should be updated, since awealloc is now automatically started. But, for those who are using an old version of ImDisk, a note about the version could be useful.

About the links of the point 8, are they really the last version? You gave an explanation about DiscUtils.dll here (but this 0.0 is somewhat bigger than the 0.11...), but I still have an ImDiskNet.dll 1.0.7 that you once provided somewhere on the forum, while the one of the FAQ is 1.0.6...

#33 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Point 5 should be updated, since awealloc is now automatically started.

You are right. There is also a more simple syntax nowadays. Updated.

But, for those who are using an old version of ImDisk, a note about the version could be useful.

It could have been useful to leave some information about that. But on the other hand, this is a FAQ that needs to be kept plain and simple. So, I removed all about that instead.

About the links of the point 8, are they really the last version? You gave an explanation about DiscUtils.dll here (but this 0.0 is somewhat bigger than the 0.11...), but I still have an ImDiskNet.dll 1.0.7 that you once provided somewhere on the forum, while the one of the FAQ is 1.0.6...

Not necessarily latest, but they are built together and verified to work correctly together. There could of course be later versions of DiscUtils.dll on the DiscUtils project website, but the version I have here is the one built together with that particular version of DiscUtilsDevio.exe. If someone wants to use features in a newer DiscUtils.dll they could of course try and see if a newer version works with DiscUtilsDevio.exe, but I cannot test each new version of DiscUtils.dll in that way. There used to be a link to the DiscUtils project website in this FAQ, but it seems gone nowadays (together with a few other things messed up but the forum software). I will add this link again!

There have been some tweaks to ImDiskNet.dll as well. But I generally have the same policy there. If I build a new version for some special purpose, that one is not necessarily distributed on this location, unless it provides some features that could be of interest in combination with some new features added to ImDisk.

The ".NET 2.0 special edtion" of DiscUtils.dll you link to is only larger in size because it is compiled for an older, completely different, version of .NET Core where binaries generally were larger. This is a kind of a "hack" not at all supported by the DiscUtils project and was only provided to support native/mixed .NET 2.0 devio.exe/iobridge.dll. I will not distribute that edition for use with DiscUtilsDevio.exe.

#34 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

The ".NET 2.0 special edtion" of DiscUtils.dll you link to is only larger in size because it is compiled for an older, completely different, version of .NET Core where binaries generally were larger. This is a kind of a "hack" not at all supported by the DiscUtils project and was only provided to support native/mixed .NET 2.0 devio.exe/iobridge.dll. I will not distribute that edition for use with DiscUtilsDevio.exe.

But this version of DiscUtils.dll (the one included in DiscUtilsStreamer.7z) is the same than the version provided in the FAQ (the files are the same). So, it seems that there is a mistake somewhere... :whistling:

#35 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Ah, then I see what you mean and that is indeed not how it is supposed to be. Seems I have put some file in the wrong directory, which has caused my publish scripts to pick up the wrong version. I will fix that as soon as possible. Maybe it would be a good idea to name the .NET 2.0 version with some suffix or something. To make sure that they are not mixed up again. Neither by me or by people downloading them. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Fixed now. Downloaded latest DiscUtils package and built that together with DiscUtilsDevio and friends. Noticed that DiscUtils.dll nowadays is built for .NET 2.0 out-of-the-box. That means, no special hacks are probably needed anymore to get it to work with iobridge.dll and devio.exe. Good.

#36 francoisr

francoisr
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

I´m unfortunately still running W7, 32-bit. I have 4GB of RAM installed, with 2,93 GB usable, as System information tells me.

Can I use ImDisk to allocate that 1GB between 3GB and 4GB as RAMDisk?  If so, what is the proper syntax?

I've tried the following command from OP but the RAM is taken from my main memory (as I see the physical memory usage raise in Task Manager).

imdisk -a -s 400M -o awe -m R: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

Thanks

#37 Mikeloeven

Mikeloeven
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

is it possible to extend an image file without loosing the contents??

i have a 2gig ramdisk i need to up 4 gig due to it filling up whats the best way to do this ???

#38 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

is it possible to extend an image file without loosing the contents??

i have a 2gig ramdisk i need to up 4 gig due to it filling up whats the best way to do this ???

That is a simple task in ImDisk Control Panel applet. Select the drive and click "Extend size" button. From command line, use -e -s switches.

Unfortunately, this only works with NTFS volumes. In other cases, the virtual disk can be expanded but the filesystem will still only use the old size, until you reformat the drive. If your ram disk is FAT or FAT32, you could use "convert" command line tool to convert it to NTFS first.
convert R: /fs:ntfs

#39 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

There is a little issue with this FAQ. If I search, let's say, "IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP" with the search engine of reboot.pro, the page is found, but I cannot find this word because it is in a "Spoiler" tag. Even a search into the page with my browser cannot find the word. I have to open one by one all of the answers to find out where is the word.
So, I think you should remove the "Spoilers". We could instead, for example, first put the questions together, and below the answers together. What do you think?

#40 zenoaghaz

zenoaghaz
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

first of all, very thanks for your time.

i try to include this lines to Autounattend.xml file for silent istallation of imdisk

cmd /q /c  "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe SETLOCAL & SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 & %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe -y"

but still got successfull message

can anybody help me with this?

i want run installer directly (not from another .cmd) and i want use original installer (not modyfied one)

is there any way ?

thanks for attention

Edited by zenoaghaz, 04 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#41 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

first of all, very thanks for your time.

i try to include this lines to Autounattend.xml file for silent istallation of imdisk

cmd /q /c  "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe SETLOCAL & SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 & %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe -y"

can anybody help me with this?

i want run installer directly (not from another .cmd) and i want use original installer (not modyfied one)

is there any way ?

thanks for attention

Try to replace the last command by echo %SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP% and you will understand...
For a single line command, you would need something called "delayed environment variable expansion" (the switch /V:ON of cmd.exe), but it will not work either, because the installation script of ImDisk does not use the syntax required for delayed expansion.

So, I am afraid that there is no way. You have to use an additional .cmd file with SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 located on another line.

#42 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

For a single line command, you would need something called "delayed environment variable expansion" (the switch /V:ON of cmd.exe), but it will not work either, because the installation script of ImDisk does not use the syntax required for delayed expansion.

Why / Where /What?

There is no variable expansion to be delayed in that line. :dubbio:

:duff:

Wonko

#43 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

Why / Where /What?

There is no variable expansion to be delayed in that line. :dubbio:

Wonko

This would have been the case if IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP was directly used by an executable, but here, the ImDisk installer uses a .cmd file.
It's a bit weird but we have to admit it: the test in install.cmd (if not "%IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP%" == "1"...) does execute the message box, so the variable does not yet exist on this point.

I just made another test: if we define the variable before, and then we call the command of zenoaghaz, it also does not work. We have to define the variable before, and to NOT attempt to define it in the for loop. Otherwise, the variable is temporarily overwritten by a variable of the same name that is not... expanded?

#44 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

So the issue is not in the posted line, but in "install.cmd" ?

Possibly a CALL SET would do. :unsure:

But in this case, the scope is to silent install anyway, i.e. this should do :unsure::

cmd /q /c "SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 & FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe  %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe -y"

EDIT, nope it doesn't work, :(

Wonko

#45 zenoaghaz

zenoaghaz
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Try to replace the last command by echo %SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP% and you will understand...

So, I am afraid that there is no way. You have to use an additional .cmd file with SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 located on another line.

very thanks for this advise

It worked for me with little change. for now i test it on win8 (successfully installed with out any message).

i report back if it work either on win installation inviroment.

i just change place of SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 to end of commands and it worked!!!

cmd.exe /q /c "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe -y & SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1"

please report back if it worked either for you in other wins. because i know this issue is frequently asked.

thanks for your time.

Edited by zenoaghaz, 05 July 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#46 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Very good :) (though still it is not connected with delayed expansion), most probably it works because the SET command is executed after having started the .exe (that calls the the install.cmd) :unsure:

Wonko

#47 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

very thanks for this advise

It worked for me with little change. for now i test it on win8 (successfully installed with out any message).

i report back if it work either on win installation inviroment.

i just change place of SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1 to end of commands and it worked!!!

cmd.exe /q /c "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe %i:\boot\imdisk_1-8-0_2014-05-01.exe -y & SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1"

please report back if it worked either for you in other wins. because i know this issue is frequently asked.

thanks for your time.

It still does not work for me. The only change I made is the path of executable:

cmd.exe /q /c "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\Users\test\Desktop\imdiskinst.exe %i:\Users\test\Desktop\imdiskinst.exe -y & SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1"

Tested on Windows 7 and 8.1, several times with some variants. Are you sure that you didn't define the variable before, while testing something?

#48 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hmmm.

Then the only left possibilities are SETX or directly setting them in Registry :ph34r:

http://best-windows....-variables.html

http://ss64.com/nt/setx.html

Wonko

#49 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

This set IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP to "1 " not to "1"

Try as for debug
<Path>cmd.exe /c "SET IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP=1& FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\boot\imdiskinst.exe %i:\boot\imdiskinst.exe -y &echo done"</Path>
Finally set quite mode: cmd /q
  • v77 likes this

#50 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

This set IMDISK_SILENT_SETUP to "1 " not to "1"

The Devil is in the detail... Well done!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users