steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

We have at least one single example of someone that got famous online and got hired from MS: Mark Russinovich :worship:
http://en.wikipedia....ark_Russinovich

Luke - he has gone over to the Dark Side... :loleverybody:

#27 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Maybe first step would be starting to come first in a single one? :dubbio: :diablo:

And here comes the grumpy Italian, ufffff. :loleverybody: Well, wait for the day to come......BTW, did/do you encourage your son/daughter/grandson/granddaughter this way? Poor fellows.....

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

And here comes the grumpy Italian, ufffff. :loleverybody:

Yep :).

Well, wait for the day to come......

Sure :), and rest assured that I will be the first one to congratulate with the Team for the success :thumbsup:.

BTW, did/do you encourage your son/daughter/grandson/granddaughter this way? Poor fellows.....

No, but I try to direct them towards something actually productive.
As you might know, I have nothing against the Team, but a lot against the utter foolishness of CTF's. :ph34r:

There are so many real problems yet to be solved that spending valuable intellectual time to re-solve some that were already solved :frusty: in a contest about who is faster at it is IMHO a big waste of resources. :(

:cheers:
Wonko

#29 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

There are so many real problems yet to be solved that spending valuable intellectual time to re-solve some that were already solved :frusty: in a contest about who is faster at it is IMHO a big waste of resources. :(

I see. :dubbio: So, why are students are asked to re-solve already solved problems in exams?

#30 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Nuno, sorry to contradict you, but that's a dream and has nothing to do with reality

Sure thing. Big company names do help to bring reputation regardless of your talent, however one fact does not invalidate the other.

From personal experience, the deciding factor to get accepted at CMU and change my life from there forward was the online presence and freeware works.

Instead of just looking on a few lines of a CV that mentioned a career in the army and no formal training as software engineer, they took the time to look up my writings, activities and overall quality of work at the Internet.

They liked what they saw and that was the distinguishing point when compared to so many others with years of experience as software engineers at top 500 companies as one of the professors at the juri committee later told me.

Not all managers make decisions based solely on what they see written on the CV.. :)
  • Holmes.Sherlock likes this

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I see. :dubbio: So, why are students are asked to re-solve already solved problems in exams?

Because they need to learn, and somehow their new knowledge has to be tested and verified.

Theoretically if you take part in a "hacking challenge" you are already out of the school, you know where your towel is, and are already perfectly capable of solving new, unresolved problems.
Your time and mental energy is capable of exploring new frontiers and what you do instead?
You subject yourself to the perverted minds of quiz creators only to prove that you are faster or smarter than another guy?

I see it as a waste of very good intellectual resources, that could be used for better scopes, that's all.

Wonko

#32 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Because they need to learn, and somehow their new knowledge has to be tested and verified.

How dare are we to think that we have learnt everything under the sun?

Theoretically if you take part in a "hacking challenge" you are already out of the school, you know where your towel is, and are already perfectly capable of solving new, unresolved problems.

Thinking or being able to think "out-of-the-box" does never mean that one is "already perfectly capable of solving new, unresolved problems". If that was so, then everyone would come first.

You subject yourself to the perverted minds of quiz creators only to prove that you are faster or smarter than another guy?

Another bold & boasted remark. Generally those quiz creators whom you are aiming your gun at are those having years of experience in respective fields.

#33 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Another bold & boasted remark. Generally those quiz creators whom you are aiming your gun at are those having years of experience in respective fields.

I am not aiming at all at the quiz creators, I am aiming to the reason why people take part to those competitions.

Wonko

#34 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Actually, Mark Russinovich was swallowed by MS similar to many other devs as part of buyout Sysinternals contract, and they offer quite relaxing and comfortable conditions to people of such grade without the headache of running your own business, but of course far not everyone is happy with such MS practices. I'd say his current work is more about promoting MS and knowledge about its soft, rather than developing viable soft, but he still keeps polishing his tools suite.

#35 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Because the university need to check, if the students can already follow orders, even when they realize they are wrong, before releasing them into the wild. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users