Error 15: File not found

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 carambolage

carambolage
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

I was excited when I read that you could load XP into RAM. So I followed the tutorial as best as I could. I successfully created my_disk.ima and copied the windows files to it etc.
However, when I rebooted and chose the proper option in grub4dos, it says the following:

Booting Boot XP from RAMDisk
(hd0,5)

probed C/H/S = 131/255/63, probed total sectors = 2104515

partition type 0x06

I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. But I am wondering about this part of the tutorial:
http://diddy.boot-la...xp_boot_ini.htm

Am I supposed to create a new boot.ini file on the my_disk.ima image?

By the way, I only have one HDD. Right now I only have one boot.ini on C: (which is my main partition). D: is the fresh windows installation that I copied. E: is where I store music etc.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

Post contents of menu.lst.

NEVER use a menu.lst when expermenting, ALWAYS use command line, until you are satisfied with the result.

:thumbup:
Wonko

#3 carambolage

carambolage
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Post contents of menu.lst.

NEVER use a menu.lst when expermenting, ALWAYS use command line, until you are satisfied with the result.

:thumbup:
Wonko

And for what reason should I not use a menu.lst? That's what the tutorial did.

This is what I use:

title Boot XP from RAMDisk
find --set-root /my_disk.ima
map --mem /my_disk.ima (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Sure :), but the tutorial ends with a booting/working system... ;), your attempt ends with a failure... :D

What about:
"Because if you enter the following one by one you can see what actually causes the error?" :unsure:

[ENTER]
And you will get:
(hd0,5)

[ENTER]
NO feedback.
map --hook
[ENTER]
NO feedback.
root (hd0,0)
[ENTER]
When you issue the above, you should get some detail about the partition (hd0,0), most probably:
partition type 0x06

chainloader /ntldr
[ENTER]
When you issue the above, you should see something like:
Will boot NTLDR from ...... (some more details)
or this:
meaning that there is NO "ntldr" in the filesystem that is root (hd0,0).

If you type:
chainloader /
and press the [TAB] key you will bw able to see all files in the root of that partition, or use:
chainloader /n
to list anything that begins with "n", you should have at least "ntldr" and "ntdetect.com" listed.

The part of the tutorial you referred to is about things that happen after NTLDR is loaded, something that in your setup seemingly doesn't happen (yet ;)).

How did you made the image (which method did you use among the several ones listed in that guide to create the image)?

131*255*63*512=1,077,511,680 bytes, you will need a machine with 1.5 or better 2 Gb of RAM at least to be able to map that image to --mem.

HOW (and when) did you copy the NTLDR to the root of the image?

An usual good idea is to copy just (once created the image) NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and a BOOT.INI with two entries (at least) in it, to verify that the procedure works before copying all the other XP files.

:cheers:
Wonko

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is what I use:

title Boot XP from RAMDisk
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

Try removing the root(hd0,0) line from your menu!

If that does not work, put the image into a subdir.

This works for me well:
title multiPE_RAM_XP

find --set-root /images/multiPE_RAM_XP.img

map --mem /images/multiPE_RAM_XP.img (hd0)

map --hook

chainloader (hd0,0)/NTLDR

Peter

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

Try removing the root(hd0,0) line from your menu!

Interesting approach. :D ;)

If that does not work, put the image into a subdir.

The image is actually found (on (hd0,5)). ;)

For the record:
chainloader (hd0,0)/NTLDR
is exactly the same as:
root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr
from a "booting" view, from the report, ntldr is NOT found on the partition.

:)
Wonko

#7 carambolage

carambolage
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

@Wonko:

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that ntldr doesn't exist on the image because as far as I can tell the tutorial never mentioned copying those files (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and a BOOT.INI)
The thing is, I copied the new Windows installation from partition D:. But since my regular Windows installation (the one I use every day) is on C:, only C: has all those files on it.

I never mentioned this, but I actually once copied (in my desperation) those files (including all other files located in C:) from C:. Basically what happened is that it initially looked like it had worked, but then I got an error message or BSOD (can't remember). More importantly, from that point on my regular Windows installation (on C:) had a corrupted registry. It took me a while to recover from that mishap...

So what you're saying is that I should only copy those 3 files, and that I should copy them from C: (since D: obviously doesn't have them)? I just don't want the same thing to happen to me again.

I used the the 1.0 image available here:
http://diddy.boot-la...disk_images.zip

Yes, I have 2 GB of RAM, so that can't be the issue.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Yep ;), you introduced a variation (the tutorial probably implies that the "base" XP is a new "standard" install).

When you boot a NT based system there are TWO THREE booting phases:
  • MBR->PBR->System file (in the case of NT < Vista ;) NTLDR) - this is common to *all* operating systems
    And in the case of this method it is actually MBR on hd->PBR on hd->NTLDR on hd ->BOOT.INI on hd->grldr on hd ->menu.lst on hd->image map->NTLDR on mapped image->BOOT.INI on mapped image
  • NTLDR real mode
  • NTLDR+NTDETECT.COM->switch to HAL -> protected mode

The #1 and #2 will give you (if an error) an error in white text on black background, the #3 will give you a BSOD with a STOP ERROR CODE and in white on blue background.

The idea of having a BOOT.INI with more than one entry in it (and with a timeout of, say, 20 seconds) is that it allows you to test #1 without problems.

There is no way that one can help you unless you describe EXACTLY what you did, the EXACT way your system is setup and the EXACT error you get.

Maybe you would prefer to try using this app:
http://reboot.pro/9830/
that is more updated than diddy's guide and automates the procedure and later go back to the "manual" way to compare results/methods ... :D

:)
Wonko

#9 carambolage

carambolage
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ok, I just tried it again. This time I made sure that only BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.COM were in the image (instead of also AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS and so on)

I also made sure to edit the BOOT.INI in the image so that there are two entries and it won't just immediately load the default.

Basically, the same thing happened as before.

So here is exactly what happened:

I rebooted my machine, I selected grub4dos, I selected the appropriate entry in the menu.lst, it DID NOT mention "Error 15: File not found", instead it showed me the boot menu of the ramdisk. I chose the appropriate option and it started loading Windows XP (famous logo and progress bar). However, when that was done I immediately received an error box titled "lsass.exe - System Error" and the message said "When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.", which means that the registry is corrupt. It displayed that message for about 2-3 seconds and rebooted automatically.
Again, when I tried to boot into my regular Windows on the hard drive, I got THE SAME error. Thankfully I had already anticipated this, so I was able to quickly copy back my old registry.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

What you report is very strange. :whistling:
It seems like *somehow* the Registry is accessed by the thingy booted from the image. :) (it shouldn't).
Maybe there is a quirk somewhere, but really cannot see what it can be.
Do try the "automated method" linked to before, if that works it will mean that the problem is in the tutorial (or in some steps you misinterpreted/changed) if the situation repeats it means that it is an issue with your machine or setup....

:cheers:
Wonko

#11 carambolage

carambolage
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

No worries, I finally managed to pull it off.

Of course, it was my own fault for installing the firadisk driver on my regular Windows, instead of the Windows to be copied. I think I previously also edited the registry of my regular Windows, instead of the Windows on the ramdisk image.

I am suprised though by the low transfer rate of my RAM.
HDTune determined an average of 460.6 MB/sec.

Anyway, thanks for all your support.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

Firadisk is not (yet :yahoo:) optimized for speed.

See here:
http://reboot.pro/13863/

:crazyrocker:
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users