Photo

Challenge #2 - Oh! darkly, deeply, beautifully blue....

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

I thought it might be a D and so did a flood fill in the middle of it to see what would happen and it worked. I then did an MD5 of the file but the answer was in lower case and so did not work when I pasted it in!

Did you try with the original file or a copy to *.bmp. ?

In the original file, with your method, you get an "U" instead of "D" when you floodfill with clicking one pixel at top.

BTW: Why did you not solve the challenge? Did you have had the same File / MD5 troubles like me?

Peter

#52 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

Nope, just opened it up in Win 7 Paint, did a flood fill from the top corner and then a flood fill in the centre of the D - works fine (just tried it again to confirm). I read the post today and then changed all lower case in the MD5 hash to upper case and then it worked, I didn't solve it until I read this forum because I assumed that any good programmer would allow upper or lower case answers Posted Image Wiki gives MD5 examples in lowercase...

#53 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Nope, just opened it up in Win 7 Paint, did a flood fill from the top corner and then a flood fill in the centre of the D - works fine (just tried it again to confirm). I read the post today and then changed all lower case in the MD5 hash to upper case and then it worked, I didn't solve it until I read this forum because I assumed that any good programmer would allow upper or lower case answers Posted Image Wiki gives MD5 examples in lowercase...

:dubbio:
Peter

#54 DarkPhoeniX

DarkPhoeniX

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Interesting Things
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

Steve dont bash the man
he is making a new challenge
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1.00"
(Grub4dos is chase sensitive too...)

#55 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

• The GIMP
  • "fuzzy selection"
  • Set level of difference to 0,0

And yes, it works also on the original .jpg, and no, you need anyway to select the inside of the D manually.

:dubbio:
Wonko

#56 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:41 AM

BTW: Unfortunatelly I did not have had success in downloading the "original" picture, and therefore I was not able to retrieve the correct MD5.

The way IPB handles attached images has created incompatibilities with certain browsers. So, I've removed the images from both Challenge #1 & #2, compressed them in a ZIP file & uploaded again. See, whether you can get a ZIP extracting which a 1120 bytes JPG is obtained.

........maybe only the UC / LC issue reported by Icecube, prohibited me to input the correct code.

People who design those hacking challenges are crazier than me. Surely, we don't want to fail to solve a problem just because of the case issue on the day of competition. Please bear with me & with such problems in future, try out probable answer in both the cases.

#57 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:43 AM

You are member of the team, I asked to finish what I could not finish at that time ...

Welcome DarkPhoeniX, hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

#58 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

.........I assumed that any good programmer would allow upper or lower case answers Posted Image.........

Pardon, neither I'm good, nor a programmer.:cheers:

#59 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

The way IPB handles attached images has created incompatibilities with certain browsers. So, I've removed the images from both Challenge #1 & #2, compressed them in a ZIP file & uploaded again. See, whether you can get a ZIP extracting which a 1120 bytes JPG is obtained.

With that ZIP expanded, and md5 converted to UC, I got success.

Peter

#60 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

With that ZIP expanded, and md5 converted to UC, I got success.

Congratz....Posted Image

#61 DJKingfisher

DJKingfisher
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

the md5 checksum of the attached file is the code
032C49411912397EEA2A7D906DAB5F7E

#62 MadSheep!

MadSheep!