Photo

Extract files out of WAIK without downloading whole WAIK first.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

If you are asking about win7pe_se then this describes exactly what files are required from aik and where they go and what they are named:

http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/required.php

What you require depends on what the source os is ( vista / win7 ) and also on your host os and its architecture x86 / x64 ( i.e. the os on which you are running winbuilder ).

#27 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

If you are asking about win7pe_se then this describes exactly what files are required from aik and where they go and what they are named:

http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/required.php

What you require depends on what the source os is ( vista / win7 ) and also on your host os and its architecture x86 / x64 ( i.e. the os on which you are running winbuilder ).

Yeah, but it doesn't explain where on the KB3AIK_EN.iso these files can be found, which is why I ended up here which does have more information on that, but unfortunately refers to different files.

#28 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

To do what...and who or what document says - a link pls? And why asking in this Tutorial thread?

Er, the first post in this thread lists those files for 32-bit.

I'm asking in this thread as the Win7PE thread pointed me here to show how to get the files I need, but as I say this thread refers to different files to those in the Win7PE thread, so nowhere seems to offer advice on where in the ISO to find the required files.

#29 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

- Open W:waikx86.msi or W:waikamd64.msi with 7-zip:
- Open the file Neutral.cab inside 7-zip with the "Open Inside" command in the context menu (W:waikx86.msiNeutral.cab

#30 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

As I said, there's no Neutral.cab in waikx86.msi when I open it with 7-zip :rolleyes:

And you've just referred back to the 32-bit list I pointed you to previously and told you was not consistent with the Win7PE thread, which specifies wimmount, not wimflt.

Some of the files needed are in waikx86.msix86AIK.cab but not all of them, so it would be helpful for everyone I think if there's was somewhere that showed where the files can be obtained from within the ISO.

Edited by doveman, 26 January 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#31 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

Why not just install the msi?

#32 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

I generally prefer to avoid installing stuff just to grab some files as you never know what it might leave behind after uninstalling it, possibly causing problems.

Anyway, I think I got everything from waikx86.msix86AIK.cab except bcdedit.exe which was in system32, but still it would be nice if there were some accurate instructions available for others in future.

#33 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

Instructions have to be written. As you just found all the files why not write instructions in this thread describing exactly how you did it.

#34 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

bcdedit can also be found in the windows 7 dvd at sourcesboot.wim. If you open boot.wim with 7zip its at 1WindowsSystem32. Note this will mean you need a windows 7 source dvd with the same architecture as the host os as its run during the build.

Also in winpe.cabF1_WINPE.WIM. Extract the wim and open with 7zip. Its then found in windowssystem32.

#35 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Instructions have to be written. As you just found all the files why not write instructions in this thread describing exactly how you did it.

Because it would be better if the first post was edited to be accurate, rather than let people waste their time trying to follow it before realising it's wrong and then having to read through the entire thread to find the right instructions.

#36 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

bcdedit can also be found in the windows 7 dvd at sourcesboot.wim. If you open boot.wim with 7zip its at 1WindowsSystem32. Note this will mean you need a windows 7 source dvd with the same architecture as the host os as its run during the build.

Also in winpe.cabF1_WINPE.WIM. Extract the wim and open with 7zip. Its then found in windowssystem32.

Well I'm running Win7 x64 and got bcdedit from my WindowsSystem32 folder and built a 32-bit Win7PE (using a 32-bit Win7 DVD ISO mounted in DaemonTools) OK with it, so I'm not sure the architecture of the source dvd you get bcdedit from really matters. Isn't everything in system32, 32-bit anyway?

#37 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

The first page is accurate - it gives general instructions for extracting files out the waik without downloading the waik. It does not claim to give instructions for extracting files out the waik for the winpe_se project.

One of the recommendations, also the one I reiterated, was to install the msi. If you had done that then win7pe_se automatically copies the required files from the waik to the project tools directory.

#38 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Fair enough. Maybe the Win7PE page is just misleading the way it links to this thread and it would be better if it said there where to get the files. I'll see if I can get something added to that.

#39 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Well I'm running Win7 x64 and got bcdedit from my WindowsSystem32 folder and built a 32-bit Win7PE (using a 32-bit Win7 DVD ISO mounted in DaemonTools) OK with it, so I'm not sure the architecture of the source dvd you get bcdedit from really matters. Isn't everything in system32, 32-bit anyway?

I usually get 32-bit Windows program versions from SysWOW64 folder on Win7 64-bit, despite some of 64-bit versions can do the trick for you when started from Win7 64-bit, and other programs can be identical in both System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

#40 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

I usually get 32-bit Windows program versions from SysWOW64 folder on Win7 64-bit, despite some of 64-bit versions can do the trick for you when started from Win7 64-bit, and other programs can be identical in both System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

That makes sense...for Microsoft :crazy:

#41 0sten

0sten
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I just compiled HTTPDriverGUI.exe

So, dear sambul61, please re-download it to the other filehosting than Megaupload...
You know, these respectable government guys don't respect your intellectual property... :cold:

Edited by 0sten, 10 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#42 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

Lets make a deal: I'll upload it for you in exchange for a link to WAIK 3.5 ISO or similar source ISO containing WAIK 3.5 or new ImageX (example - Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102) which supports Win8, so that everyone can benefit from your request. :dubbio:

#43 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi 0sten,

I see you had no luck in catching WAIK 3.5 - no worries, that's a common problem now. :) Lets hope, HTTPDisk author will update the driver to support VHDs, compressed ZIP and EXE files, and other than ISO image types that can be mounted remotely as disks. I re-uploaded HTTPDriverGUI.exe. If you have any problems using it, read the relevant posts here, including the Instructions and Disclaimer. :)

#44 0sten

0sten
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi sambul61, and thank you for HTTPdiskGUI.
About WAIK for Win8 (really they call it ADK now).
I have Imagex ver.6.2.8102.0 - take it here if you wish:
http://www.mediafire...rjr13d002w0ro08
There are x86 version.
And there is new DISM (x86 8102 too):
http://www.mediafire...pq2wq42htccd2o3

Edited by 0sten, 14 March 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#45 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thanks. I meant the original sources posted by MS, besides there may be more dlls required for DISM and ImageX to perform their functions. We need to work a bit with authors of both HTTPDisk and AutoIT to hopefully make some progress in adjusting HTTPDisk and its GUI functionality towards new MS trends in offering scaled down low traffic downloads via ZIP and EXE options instead of ISO.

#46 0sten

0sten
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

It seems that Bo Branten's httpdisk-7 is better then winvblock-integrated one - but maybe not.
I made a script for WIN7PE SE for that driver and now will add your GUI there.
But VHD and WIM via HTTP would be much better... :clap:
My goal is small and fast PXE-friendly boot image and http-availability for all extra needed files.

Edited by 0sten, 14 March 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#47 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Would you be interested to invite HTTPDisk author Konstantin Vlasov to this forum? Of course, adding mounting VHDs and WIMs over net would be extremely helpful for network boot. I wonder whether native boot from VHD over net is possible...

"HttpDisk-7 Allows to mount images without administrative privileges by Konstantin Vlasov, works better on Windows Vista and Windows 7, support for 64-bit systems."

#48 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Would you be interested to invite HTTPDisk author Konstantin Vlasov to this forum? Of course, adding mounting VHDs and WIMs over net would be extremely helpful for network boot. I wonder whether native boot from VHD over net is possible...

Isn't HTTPDisk Author Bo Branten? :dubbio:

:cheers:
Wonko

#49 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Invited Konstantin Vlasov to the forum. :)

#50 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

OK. :frusty:

For the record, the current (7) HTTPDisk readme.txt:

HTTP virtual disk driver for Windows.
Copyright © 1999-2009 Bo Brantén.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

The GNU General Public License is also available from:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Windows and Windows NT are either registered trademarks or trademarks of
Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Please send comments, corrections and contributions to bosse@acc.umu.se

The most recent version of this program is available from:
http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/

Revision history:

7. 2009-10-21
Small bug fix for CD-images on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Support for 64-bit systems.

6. 2009-10-15
Allow to mount images without administrative privileges by
Konstantin Vlasov.

5. 2009-04-12
Support for DVD images with the UDF file system.
Can be compiled with the WDK.

4. 2008-07-11
Minor changes.

3. 2006-03-08
Small bug fix in handling of receive data length.

2. 2006-03-05
Added support for persistent connections.

1. 2006-02-11
Initial release.

The Author of the thingy is Bo Branten. :worship:
Konstantin Vlasov :worship: supplied a patch/fix/revision to avoid the needing for Administrative privileges :thumbsup:.

On program homepage:
http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/
there is currently no reference to Konstantin Vlasov:

HttpDisk
Release 7 (2009-10-21)
HttpDisk is a virtual disk driver for Windows that uses HTTP to mount disk or CD/DVD images from a web server. It is also a demonstration on how to do network communication from kernel mode on Windows using the TDI interface.
Latest news: Allow to mount images without administrative privileges, works better on Windows Vista and Windows 7, support for 64-bit systems.
I have put a small CD image here to make it easy to try HttpDisk, use the following command:
httpdisk /mount 0 http://www.acc.umu.s...se/fdbootcd.iso /cd f:
httpdisk /umount f:

If not in the "News":

News
SwapFs-3.0 Support for FAT32 and swap partitions bigger than 4GB.

Ntifs.h-56 Updated so you can compile Matt Wu's ext2fsd with it.

FileDisk-17 Allow to mount images without administrative privileges by Konstantin Vlasov, works better on Windows Vista and Windows 7, support for 64-bit systems.
FileDisk-15-signed Signed by Matt Wu so that it can be loaded on 64-bit versions of Windows without pressing F8 at boot and select "Disable driver signing".

HttpDisk-7 Allow to mount images without administrative privileges by Konstantin Vlasov, works better on Windows Vista and Windows 7, support for 64-bit systems.

Khttpd-2 Simple kernel mode web server for Windows that demonstrates how to do network communication from kernel mode and how to use the MDL interface to the filesystem.

Rfsd-0.25.5 I have updated the unmaintained ReiserFs file system driver. Signed version: Rfsd-0.25.5-signed.

New: Matt Wu has made a new release 0.50 at ext2fsd.com.Ext2fsd-0.48-bb8-signed Support for ext4 extents and fix for BSOD on Windows 7.

If you are interested in network communication from kernel mode on Windows, so called TDI clients, you may want to read my report High performance kernel mode web server for Windows.

And the adjectives of the day are:
http://www.thefreedi...ry.com/thorough
http://www.thefreedi...ry.com/accurate

:cheers:
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users