Photo
- - - - -

Boot windows 10 vhd from usb (also ramboot)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 favorinus

favorinus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

Hi WONKO,  

I have tried your both grub4dos entries but both fail.

fact is: when the vhd is located on a hard disk drive FILEDISK will work but when it's placed on the USB Stick FILEDISK will fail.

I tried a lot to find a solution: untouched windows10. untouched windows 8.1.  use bootice to edit the bcd inside the vhd, 

used different usb sticks (usb 2 and 3). used different PC's all the same: a nice BSOD ACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

what else can I try?

#27 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

I don't know.

"both fail" isn't a useful report.

They should, I believe, at least fail differently.

I know we are a bunch of inquisitive people and - at least personally, an annoying old grumpy bastard (and cheap ;) ) - but here everyone asked questions and you didn't reply properly to all of them.

Let's start again, here is a set of numbered questions, some of them already asked (and not replied to):

1) What computer is that?
2) What USB stick is that?
3) Does the 8 VHD boots fine as filedisk and ramdisk on your current USB device? (or - if you prefer - is it only Windows 10, and while we are at it the peculiar 2016 LTSB version you are using that created the issue?)

4) In you report here: http://reboot.pro/to...mboot/?p=215769

you say grub4dos tells you:

grub> map (hd0) (hd1) 

floppies_orig=0, harddrives_orig=1, floppies_curr=0, harddrives_curr=2

but his would mean that you have only one hard disk (the USB stick) connected? :dubbio:

5) Have you tried a non-compact build? Compare with:
http://reboot.pro/to...mboot/?p=215773

:duff:

Wonko

#28 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

I recommend you to start from scratch a new build.

Wimb programs to automate Wimboot and Compact Installs:

USB Format Tool and UEFI_MULTI: http://reboot.pro/fi...and-uefi-multi/

VHD_WIMBOOT - Apply and Capture of WIM Files for OS in VHD: http://reboot.pro/fi...-for-os-in-vhd/

NOTE: Good for Standard, Wimboot and Compact installs. Into this download is included a pdf file with recommended procedure.

Let us know latter if this helped you to solve the issue.

i wich you good luck in your builds

alacran

#29 favorinus

favorinus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

Hi Wonko,

I am sorry that I am not that clear, I will try to explain the best possible. 

"both fail" I mean map the vhd on hd0 and the usb stick on hd1 and vica versa, doesn't matter both result in the bsod.

1) What computer is that?

my target system is Asrock Q1900-itx , nothing fancy I think. has 2 sodimm modules of 4GB. and the intel celeron J1900 cpu (4 cores)

other test system is a acer e5-573, 12 GB of ram. 

Hi Alacran, I will try the VHD_WIMBOOT also.

2) What USB stick is that?

Kingston datatraveler 100 G3 64GB

Samsung 256GB usb 3.1

sandisk cruzer blade 16GB usb 2.0

3) Does the 8 VHD boots fine as filedisk and ramdisk on your current USB device? (or - if you prefer - is it only Windows 10, and while we are at it the peculiar 2016 LTSB version you are using that created the issue?)

No windows 8.1 is not booting as filedisk from usb either, it's from a hard disk drive.  although I remember I have had it worked also from usb stick ones, can it be with firadisk? 

4) but his would mean that you have only one hard disk (the USB stick) connected?

Yes I disconnect the sata cable before testing the usb stick. 

5) Have you tried a non-compact build?

yes I always make non-compact build now for testing, so there is one possible cause less. 

#30 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:19 AM

About:

Acer e5-573    Intel Celeron 2957U    1.40 GHz 2 Cores 2 Threads, 12 GB Ram.

The 2957U Processor seems to me very weak for LZX Compression, For Ram boot it should work as all is on Ram, but even from Ram it will feel slow, I would use Compact 4K Compression (or Express 4K on wimlib terminology) for file booting on this CPU. 

About:

Asrock Q1900-itx    Intel Celeron® J1900    2 - 2.42 GHz 4 Cores 4 Threads, 8 GB Ram.

The J1900 Processor is not so weak as the other, but it isn't a powerful Processor too.

About the USB devices:

Sandisk cruzer blade 16GB usb 2.0 >>> You may boot some WinPEs from it as they load to Ram, but USB 2.0  is too slow for file boot a VHD fine. Don't use it for this task. I booted once a uncompressed XP x86 VHD from a USB 2.0 stick and it was so slow it was unusable, but from a USD 2.0 HDD it booted fine.

The other 2 are USB 3.1 devices, they look fine, and they should work fine too.

So the Asrock Q1900-itx (Intel Celeron® J1900,  2 - 2.4 GHz 2 Cores 4 Threads, 8 GB Ram), should be capable to file boot a 10x64 LZX VHD from a USB 3.0 device, maybe a few slow (depending on actual USB speed) but it should be definitively capable to do it.

Better check following settings in UEFI Bios/Firmware:

Is Fast Boot disabled on UEFI firmware?

Please verify and if it isn't disabled, disable it.

From your MB Asrock Q1900-itx Manual, pag. 49:

Fast Boot
Fast Boot minimizes your computer's boot time. In fast mode you may not boot
from an USB storage device. Ultra Fast mode is only supported by Windows 8 and
the VBIOS must support UEFI GOP if you are using an external graphics card.
Please notice that Ultra Fast mode will boot so fast that the only way to enter this
UEFI Setup Utility is to Clear CMOS or run the Restart to UEFI utility in Windows.

About USB, on the manual on pag. 43, it says this

USB Controller
Enable or disable all the USB ports.

USB 3.0 Controller
Enable or disable all the USB 3.0 ports.

Legacy USB Support
Enable or disable Legacy OS Support for USB 2.0 devices. If you encounter USB compatibility issues it is recommended to disable legacy USB support.
Select UEFI Setup Only to support USB devices under the UEFI setup and Windows/Linux operating systems only.

I would try first all 3 enabled, and try file booting from your USB 3.1 device.

If previous setting don't work, then I would try selecting UEFI Setup Only on Legacy USB Support option, and try againg file booting from your USB 3.1 device.

EDIT:

When selecting UEFI Setup Only, if you have a USB keyboard, maybe you can't use it, if booting from grub4dos, better keep the filedisk booting as default option on menu.lst, or don't use grub4dos in this case, and boot from Windows boot manager directly.

alacran

#31 favorinus

favorinus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:35 AM

Hi Alacran,

yes fastboot is disabled, I will try the UEFI Setup Only setting.

tweaking the speed is a luxury for now, as I am still not able to boot :-(

#32 favorinus

favorinus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

another idea/question.

is Windows Boot Manager capable of booting vhd from usb?  I can use that as a workaround.

#33 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM

For booting as FILEDISK it is preferred to useinstead of SVBus the Microsoft vhdmp.sys driver and have Boot entry in Windows Boot Manager menu as made by UEFI_MULTI or VHD_WIMBOOT

Sure Windows Boot Manager can be used to boot Win10 VHD as FILEDISK.

In that case Win10 vhdmp.sys driver is used and SVBus driver is not used. 

SVBus driver is only really needed in case of using grub4dos for booting from RAMDISK.

#34 moriarty

moriarty
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

Sure Windows Boot Manager can be used to boot Win10 VHD as FILEDISK.

In that case Win10 vhdmp.sys driver is used and SVBus driver is not used. 

SVBus driver is only really needed in case of using grub4dos for booting from RAMDISK.

Do you happen to know how to ascertain the driver loadout at early boot? I don't understand the early boot process since MS moved away from the boot critical registry.

#35 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

Do you happen to know how to ascertain the driver loadout at early boot? I don't understand the early boot process since MS moved away from the boot critical registry.

What I can say about it is that in MBR BIOS mode the file Boot\bootvhd.dll

is since version 1903 certainly needed for booting Win10 VHD  from Windows Boot Manager menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users