WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

At C:|WINDOWS>xcopy /e /h repair system32\config\ I get:

Does system32\config\ specify a file name or directory name on the target <F = file, D = directory>?

Are you sure that you included the back-slash at the end of config\ ? If so and you really got that message, simply press D. The REPAIR\ directory is an old Registry that was saved when you first installed Windows. You should copy it as the C:\Windows\System32\Config\ directory so that it'll be ready for Windows to use when booting from the HDD.

#52 Bakka

Bakka

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

I'm sure. I entered "D" and it now shows a list, and ends with "14 file<s> copied".

It is now at C:\WINDOWS>

#53 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

It is now at C:\WINDOWS>

Well then, try rebooting the computer, but from the HDD instead of the ERD. Fingers crossed! :happy_dance:

#54 Bakka

Bakka

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:25 AM

But how do I get out so I don't screw up -- do I hit Enter or Exit/Enter? I sure don't want to mess it up now :-)

Edited by Bakka, 29 March 2011 - 01:35 AM.

#55 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

...Exit/Enter?...

Sure. I'm pretty sure you're safe now. Then however ERD lets you shut down or reboot, try that.

#56 Bakka

Bakka

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:54 AM

I'm sad to say it won't boot from the HDD -- it has returned to the looping behavior we started out with. I tried doing the DOS stuff again because I just shut ERD down instead of logging off -- logged off the second time but no difference. I tried Safemode, etc., nothing changed. Weird, huh?

#57 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:06 AM

I'm sad to say it won't boot from the HDD -- it has returned to the looping behavior...Weird, huh?

That's quite unfortunate, but somewhat narrows down the issue. Since you restored the Registry hives from the Repair\ directory, that suggests that the problem is not Registry-related but program-/DLL-related. You can undo your recent changes in ERD with:

c:

cd \windows\system32

move config config.repair

xcopy /e /h config.march-28-2011 config\

d

exit

The D line above is only if you are asked if you are copying to a file F or a directory D, as you experienced earlier on.

The commands above will copy your "bad" Registry back into place, as it was before.

I wonder what file/files is/are missing (or damaged)...

#58 Bakka

Bakka

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

This whole thing began when I had a slew of MS Updates to install and I set them up to install overnight. I had dialup and downloads were slow. Everything hung -- I think I remember an error message "have shut down to prevent damage..." and it never booted again. It all seems related somehow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users