103 replies to this topic

#76 afk

afk
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Hi, I've just found this topic to guide me through resetting forgotten Win 8 password.

But there's a problem for me - in the original post, Step 6 says:

6- When you are ready, boot the locked PC that needs to be unlocked with that CD or USB you just made, and follow the
pictures below

but there are no pictures!

I've tried 2 different computers, and about 5 browsers, and I still get no images.

Can anyone help with the images, please?

#77 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

I have used this with sucess before when I could not log on to my user account because it would not accept my pin and demanded a password which I did not have.

After upgrading to the Anniversary Update (AU) I was faced with the same problem but this time the fix does not work.

After entering the new password the second time I get this error message:-

" The system is not authoritative for the specified account and therefore cannot complete the operation. Please retry the operation using the provider associated with this account. If this is an online provider please use the providers online site"

Help!!! what does this mean?

AU is a disaster for me!

9 months old HP 27-n103a All-In-One, i7-6700T, 8GB memory, 2TB HDD, Win 10 home 64 bit.

#78 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

Hi, I've just found this topic to guide me through resetting forgotten Win 8 password.

But there's a problem for me - in the original post, Step 6 says:

but there are no pictures!

I've tried 2 different computers, and about 5 browsers, and I still get no images.

Can anyone help with the images, please?

There is a pdf file with all the pictures at the bottom of Jamal's original post

#79 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

These methods were made for "normal", "local" accounts, on Windows 10 many people are tricked into making a (stupid) MS account or "online" account, with which this won't probably work (and I don't think that it has been tested on Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" specifically anyway) :(.

:duff:

Wonko

#80 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

@Wonko

This is correct. But all windows OS have a local built-in administrator account. I'm pretty sure Windows 10 has the account too, even if you use an online account. Just need to enable it via cmd: net user administrator /active:yes

Full tutorial here: http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

I would be interested in knowing if this works for you guys that use Windows 10.

#81 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

@Wonko

This is correct. But all windows OS have a local built-in administrator account. I'm pretty sure Windows 10 has the account too, even if you use an online account. Just need to enable it via cmd: net user administrator /active:yes

Full tutorial here: http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

I would be interested in knowing if this works for you guys that use Windows 10.

Sure :), the OP most probably attempted to use his account and not the administrator one (which once enabled actually should have no password by default), anyway trying:

net user administrator /active:yes

doesn't cost anything..

It is also possible that in that context it is possible to create a new account, but it has to be seen.

Wonko

#82 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

It is also possible that in that context it is possible to create a new account, but it has to be seen.

I was just going to suggest that.

Once utilman.exe is replaced with cmd it does not matter whether your account is online or not. You can either 1. enable the built-in account or 2. create a new admin account.

#83 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

all windows OS have a local built-in administrator account. I'm pretty sure Windows 10 has the account too

It worked for me - I enabled it some months ago when I could not access my local user account (also admin) using my pin while trying to get into safe mode.

On that occasion I was dealing with a BSOD.this time it was installing the anniversary update (AU) that triggered the problem of accessing my local account with my pin.

I have now managed to revert to the previous build using an installation USB with the AU that I created specially to deal with this problem.

In the meantime I am pulling splinters from under my finger nails, caused by scratching my head while trying to figure out a solution. I am 84 and the last time I had to deal with this many problems was when I upgraded to Win 95

Ardgour :confused1:

#84 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

I was just going to suggest that.

Once utilman.exe is replaced with cmd it does not matter whether your account is online or not. You can either 1. enable the built-in account or 2. create a new admin account.

Sure :), the OP most probably attempted to use his account and not the administrator one (which once enabled actually should have no password by default), anyway trying:

net user administrator /active:yes

doesn't cost anything..

Wonko

Having logged on as the built-in admin I was unable to create a new account or access my own user account. It remains to be seen if this was due to a deliberate alteration of the OS by MS or a bug in the upgrade.

#85 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:51 PM

Having logged on as the built-in admin I was unable to create a new account or access my own user account. It remains to be seen if this was due to a deliberate alteration of the OS by MS or a bug in the upgrade.

This is strange, once you are "in" (and as administrator) you should have the right to create new user(s), while accessing your pre-existing account (if it was an "online" account) may still be problematic.

But I was thinking more of attempting to create a new account before logging in, the cmd.exe (renamed to utilman.exe) should be running under the System credentials. Again no idea if the old way of working applies to the new release and/or to "online" accounts.

Wonko

#86 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:30 AM

This is strange, once you are "in" (and as administrator) you should have the right to create new user(s), while accessing your pre-existing account (if it was an "online" account) may still be problematic.

But I was thinking more of attempting to create a new account before logging in, the cmd.exe (renamed to utilman.exe) should be running under the System credentials. Again no idea if the old way of working applies to the new release and/or to "online" accounts.

Wonko

I may not have made things clear in my first posting.

When I could not log on to my own local account using my pin I logged on using the built in administrator account which I had activated on a previous occasion.

Using that account I was unable to access my own account to reset the pin/password nor was I able to create a new user account as the necessary fields were not accessable. I spent some considerable time looking for a hidden door but could find none.

I followed Kumar's instructions to the letter though I could see some shortcuts but did not try them.

In response to the instruction to confim the new password I entered it for the second time and pressed enter. It was then I got the following error message:-

" The system is not authoritative for the specified account and therefore cannot complete the operation. Please retry the operation using the provider associated with this account. If this is an online provider please use the providers online site"

#87 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

Yep, what I am saying is that BEFORE you log in, when you run the cmd.exe renamed to utilman.exe or sethc.exe, you should have system credentials, there and at that time (again BEFORE logging in) you should be able to create a new user.

And for "creating a new user" I am not talking of using the GUI and filling "fields", but rather to run in the cmd window:

net.exe user Admin123 MyPassword /add
net.exe localgroup Administrators Admin123 /add
taskkill.exe /F /IM LogonUI.exe

http://www.overclock...0#post_23391366

Again, cannot say if this works the same on Windows 10 and particularly on AU :unsure:.

Wonko

• ardgour likes this

#88 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

Yep, what I am saying is that BEFORE you log in, when you run the cmd.exe renamed to utilman.exe or sethc.exe, you should have system credentials, there and at that time (again BEFORE logging in) you should be able to create a new user.

And for "creating a new user" I am not talking of using the GUI and filling "fields", but rather to run in the cmd window:

net.exe user Admin123 MyPassword /add
net.exe localgroup Administrators Admin123 /add
taskkill.exe /F /IM LogonUI.exe

http://www.overclock...0#post_23391366

Again, cannot say if this works the same on Windows 10 and particularly on AU :unsure:.

Wonko

Thanks I will try this next time I get into trouble trying to log on. Which will probably be when MS forces AU on me.

#89 Dreammily

Dreammily
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:22 AM

If you want to use USB stick, then you can simply use multiplatform UNetBootin and select ntpasswd it'll download images and create bootable usb flash for you. Or for CD/DVD manually download image from ntpasswd Or you can use sources and integrate to your favorite live distribution.

This distro uses chntpw program that can reset, blank or set password for your accounts. It can even unlock blocked accounts from your Windows station. All offline, it comes even with offline registry editor.

• ardgour likes this

#90 Dreammily

Dreammily
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:44 AM

If you want to use USB stick, then you can simply use multiplatform UNetBootin and select ntpasswd it'll download images and create bootable usb flash for you. Or for CD/DVD manually download image from ntpasswd Or you can use sources and integrate to your favorite live distribution.

This distro uses chntpw program that can reset, blank or set password for your accounts. It can even unlock blocked accounts from your Windows station. All offline, it comes even with offline registry editor.

If you need free windows password recovery to reset your windows 8 password.

This is guide how to use ntpassword: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If you wanna try paid software to reset win 8 password, iSeePassword may be your first choice.

http://www.iseepassw...8-password.html

free version is a little complex and paid is easy to use.

Edited by Dreammily, 19 October 2016 - 01:47 AM.

• ardgour likes this

#91 ardgour

ardgour
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestion - I will save it for the next time MS stuffs up my system.

Ardgour

#92 nycfanbee

nycfanbee
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:37 AM

This command doesn't work for me: net user administrator /active:yes

The password still exists after typing it in command prompt

Edited by nycfanbee, 28 December 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#93 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

This command doesn't work for me: net user administrator /active:yes

The password still exists after typing it in command prompt

RE-read the previous posts.

The suggestion is NOT to activate the built-in Administrator account (unless you have it hidden and it has no password) but rather to create a new account (with administrative privileges).

Wonko

#94 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:38 AM

Here's a script if any of you need to make a dedicated reset disk:

@echo off

(echo list disk
echo list volume
echo exit ) | diskpart.exe

set /p "drv=Type windows drive (sans colon, eg. C): "
pushd %drv%:\Windows\System32

md _overlay & copy utilman.exe _overlay\*
copy /y cmd.exe utilman.exe

copy sethc.exe _overlay\*
copy /y cmd.exe sethc.exe

#95 nycfanbee

nycfanbee
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:31 AM

If you need free windows password recovery to reset your windows 8 password.

This is guide how to use ntpassword: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If you wanna try paid software to reset win 8 password, iSeePassword may be your first choice.

http://www.iseepassw...8-password.html

free version is a little complex and paid is easy to use.

Finally solved the issue with UUkeys. NT Password Can't boot from the disk it made saying partition table invalid.

#96 mackpono

mackpono
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

@Wonko

Full tutorial here: http://www.recoveryw...8-password.html

These password resetting tools are usually good for local users on a stand alone computer. The above trick will probably not work under Windows Server 2003 due to service account security changes.

#97 Mat134444

Mat134444
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:35 AM

Its very simple to bypass the windows through the following steps i think its really help you
Bypass Windows Logon Password with Command Prompt

If computer couldn't be booted in normal mode or notebook is infected with Trojans or malware, you can get rid of them with Windows Safe Mode. Furthermore, bypass Windows 7 logon password becomes easy and safe in Safe Mode when lost or forgot Windows password.
For Windows 7, there are 3 different types of safe modes to choose, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. And the following guide is about how to bypass Windows login password with Safe Mode with Command Prompt. With command in safe mode, you can reset Windows password effectively. Details are as follow:

Step 1: Start or restart your Windows 7 computer.

Step 2: Press F8 to enter Advanced Boot Options before the Windows 7 loading screen appears.

Step 3: Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt in the coming screen, and then press Enter.

Step 4: Wait for Windows 7 files to load until Windows login screen comes up.

Step 5: Log in Windows with an administrator account until you see login screen.

Step 6: A Command Prompt appears. Type net user in the Command Prompt and then hit Enter. All Windows user accounts will be listed for you.
Step 7: Type net user 12345 and hit Enter.

Note: "" is your locked Windows user account name. And "12345" means the new password you want to reset for the locked account. User account "" will be reset with new password "12345".
reset windows 7 password with cmd

Step 8: The new password has been successfully reset for user when the command is completed successfully.

Step 9: Login Windows 7 PC with the new password.
Whenever you need to access Windows in Safe Mode, an administrator account password is necessary. So it is highly recommended that write down Windows password and store it or creating a Windows password recovery disk before Windows password lost.

Edited by Mat134444, 30 June 2017 - 03:36 AM.

#98 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

FYI: Easy2Boot now includes some scripts which semi-automate the UtilMan and SetHC password hack method.

You add a standard Windows Install ISO (Windows 10 1703.iso) and then boot from an Easy2Boot USB flash drive (removable drive) in MBR mode.

Then pick the ISO and UtilMan XML file.

This automates backup and renaming of the SetHC and UtilMan files.

No need to type the commands in, etc.

You can also restore the files afterwards very easily too.

More details here.

It also describe a UEFI-boot method and a method which does not require any windows\WinPE ISO at all.

#99 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

I can understand how a spammer from time to time comes here and likes to add a link to his/her senseless tool, but Steve, really, WHAT is the difficult part in "without using a third party tool" in the thread title?

Wonko

#100 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

i thought it might be of interest because it just uses some .cmd scripts which you can write yourself. You do not need to use E2B or any 3rd party s/w.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users