Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Let's get this straight, once and for all. :thumbup:

You talked about tinybit releases, they are on the given link, ANYTHING ELSEWHERE is NOT and WIL NOT be supported.
(last character in the above sentence is a dot , or full stop or PERIOD)

Latest build here (given link):
http://nufans.net/grub4dos/tinybit/
is:
http://nufans.net/gr...-2010-07-12.zip

Which means that it was compiled/put online on the 12th of July 2010

If you want chenall builds, WHICH ARE NOT WHAT YOU ASKED, they are here:
http://nufans.net/grub4dos/chenall/
latest being:
http://nufans.net/gr...-2010-06-21.zip

Which means that it was compiled/put online on the 21st of June 2010

chenall's site is here:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

WHICH §@ç#ing address has "the main link" that your §@ç#ing ISP has blocked? :thumbup:

If you ask things EXACTLY, you may get APPROPRIATE replies, otherwise you will get not only unuseful replies, but you will also piss off people trying to help you, which ultimately will turn out as less help received next time.

Sheesh, go helping people...:cheers:

Wonko

#127 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

is there anyone else who can upload this grub4dos-0.4.5b-2010-07-12.zip to MediaFire and save Wonko the Sane some dime?

YES. :cheers:
http://homepages.tes...no-answers.html

But since I am after all a nice guy, click here:
http://tinyurl.com/3yfg46l

then, click on 2nd link you will find. :cheers:

:thumbup:
Wonko

#128 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

I'm so NOT going to thank you for that! :merc: BTW, that page says javascript disabled :merc: (you should have known my firewall would kick that google divert off Wonko)

I guess that by the combined effect of your ISP and your firewall settings you are losing a lot of fun....:cheers:

Just in case you weren't able to find the site:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list
http://code.google.c...z...mp;can=2&q=
http://grub4dos-iren...-2010-07-12.zip

If you have problems with getting to the above, you should remove ANY RAM above 1 Gbyte, as you simply don't need it, and you won't need PAE or anything else. :cheers:

:cheers:
Wonko

#129 ireneuszp

ireneuszp

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:46 AM

sorry!
I tried it。
the grub4dos current does not support for this source with outcmd.

@chenall
here is new version grub4dos-0.4.5b with loadslic command
http://forums.mydigi...2008-R2-Loaders
or here
http://grub4dos-iren.../OpenLoader.rar
maybe now you can update loadslic command from this sources code ??

Posted Image

:)

#130 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

no word on compression :mellow: so, if I'm using IMG on RAM for every reboot, my hard disk will be fine right?

edit sept 16: hmmm, still booting from hdd, hope it doesn't get damaged...

#131 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:27 AM

Hi everyone. This is a great place with great people. The stuff you do... It's amazing!
Could you tell me once again what is the right version of grub to download... to load images above 4GB(3,25GB???) point in RAM? And what is the menu.lst syntax?

I have 4GB of RAM, my W7x86 vhd is 2,5GB, so i'm currently left with 450MB or so...

A link and a syntax example would be very appreciated... Thanks...

#132 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

;) Grub4Dos from Karyonix is great (with progress indicator), you may have to go back few pages for link. He also made guide??? somewhere... :hi: the development seems to be... paused (unusually) from him. Maybe a new nick?

Since this is your first post, i would recommend you to argue more with Wonko the Sane (will give me pleasant results) ;)

#133 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yeah), tnx L... But, didn't he, Karyonix, tell us not to use his build and use developers' build instead?
I thought his build is incompatible? If it is working I'll definitely give it a try... And the guide mentioned... Is it the first post? That's the syntax for Karyonix's build, right? I the syntax for other builds the same???

Edited by far.in.out, 17 November 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#134 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

Yeah), tnx L... But, didn't he, Karyonix, tell us not to use his build and use developers' build instead?
I thought his build is incompatible? If it is working I'll definitely give it a try... And the guide mentioned... Is it the first post? That's the syntax for Karyonix's build, right? I the syntax for other builds the same???

its a matter of preferences... :hi: Chenall TinyBit is the nick you should be googling otherwise with grub4dos text added, wait till you encounter "Wonko the search engine" :hi:

As far as "working" is concerned, I use it daily (g4d build by karo)... Oh and the guide was about Win7 (not in this topic, you might want to click karyonix and see all topics by him to narrow down the results)

you'll have to forgive me ;) my head is too fragmented to look around and post link here... (not to forget to mention lazy) anyyyyyways, C yez!

#135 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

No problem, that's enough info... I'll look for it myself. Tnx for clearing this up, now I know what to look for.

#136 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I can't make it! Any build I try only sees 2 or 3GB of RAM depending on chipset mode. WTF?

#137 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:18 AM

I can't make it! Any build I try only sees 2 or 3GB of RAM depending on chipset mode. WTF?

This goes inside your menu.something!
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (0 IMG)

find --set-root /0.img

map --mem-min=4G

map --mem /0.img (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0) 

chainloader /ntldr

AND This is the build I use (i think) don't ask me for latest :hi:

AND if it still doesn't work, ... come back here again :hi:

#138 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

Mystery solved. Turns out it's not the grub's fault. It's the way motherboard chipset manages memory.

#139 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

Mystery solved. Turns out it's not the grub's fault. It's the way motherboard chipset manages memory.

What motherboard is that? :hi: so i never BUY it ;)

#140 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

It's ASUS P5B-Plus, Intel P965 chipset. It remaps 2 of my 4 Gigs to 4-6GB adress space so I can use all 4GBs in win x64, so it looks like this:

0-2GB - my first 2GBs of RAM, accessible
2-4GB - a hole, no RAM mapped here,
4-6GB - the rest of my RAM - 2 more GBs, accessible.

Now, in this mode all the RAM is accessable and used - 4GBs. But GRUB can only use the contiguous space, so I am only able to create 2x2GBs memdrives. This is not what I need now however.

There is also another chipset mode - with memory remapping turned off, it looks like this:

0-4GB - 4GBs of RAM, but
3008-4096MBs space is reserved for system memory-mapped I/O

and RAM in that space is not accessible/used. So I'm left with a 3008MBs of usable contiguous memory.

I wonder how it would be if I'd plug another 4GBs of RAM, the max amount supported by chipset/MB is 8Gigs. I'm pretty sure it will waste those same 3008-4096MBs without remapping, but what about when it's turned on - will it give me the 8GBs or 6 (8GBs max - 2GBs hole)????

This is however the way almost any mobo out there behaves. Your's included, I'm sure of that. So...

#141 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

Anyone still interested in LZMA ?
You can help test LZMA decompression in experimental version of GRUB4DOS.
Use lzma.exe from LZMA SDK to encode .lzma file.
File name must end with .lzma for it to be recognized by this GRUB4DOS.

#142 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

:cheers: You knew i will!!!

EDIT: I'm trying "lzma e LZMA.IMG LZMA.LZMA -a0 -d12" assuming this will give Fastest decompression?
EDIT2: 1.40 GB got compressed to 1.04 GB now testing with g4d
EDIT3: didn't work :) Screenshot But MB counter is faster then previous verion :cheers: maybe i'll properly test it again... sometime later (g2g somewhere)
EDIT4: used the following command
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (LZMA.LZMA)

find --set-root /LZMA.LZMA

map --mem-min=4G

map --mem /LZMA.LZMA (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0) 

chainloader /ntldr

#143 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Currently, it does not recognize .LZMA.
.lzma is case-sensitive.

#144 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Was LZMA decompression put here to speed up boot? :mellow: I see it more as solution for img/vhd compression ratio (to save hdd space, which use to look good when space was a problem)... but it looks bad for decompression purposes now. Somehow, conclusion from this benchmark and decompression time and speed looks actually lower then gzip. Imagine, having sold state drives that read at 150MiB/s ++ and Grub4Dos actually slowing down boot time to 20 MiB/s because of decompression :huh:.

The last time I tested gzip, it took double time then raw copying although, the above benchmark shows it should be 60+ MiB/s?

Change-Log posted on today's build @ chenall shows the following as last change made to gzip area... (since 2007)

2010-07-24 patch by chenall: cat --length=0 will return the size of the compressed file if it is gzipped; fix memory-not-enough problem when mapping a gzipped memory-file with a high compression ratio.

Ultimately, is there any way to speed up mapping 4GB type IMG on ram? my img only has 1.06GB used. Seeing extra time taken for copying empty space really sucks :thumbdown:

#145 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

Your image is larger than neccessary. If you has only 1.06GB data in 4GB image, I think it is better to shrink your partition and disk image.
Compression/decompression speed is slow. It is useful only in situations where space is limit and time is expendable.

There are other ways to do compression/decompression.
- Divide disk image into small blocks, compress them separately, and decompress only used part of image.
- Use filesystem compression instead of disk image compression.

#146 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

:wodoo: Why gzip decompression is slow in grub4dos 9MiB/s~(-) ? according to that benchmark it should be 60 MiB/s max, which is good enough for hard disk users (though not enough for SSD users). If lzma decompresses above gzip in grub4dos then, its still better but... not the way as expected.

edit? :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users