• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

So I just downloaded the VBoxGuestAdditions.script and tried to incorparate it.  I am confused as to where to put the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso so the script can find it and extract the files.  Can someone help a poor sould out and give me a clue?

#2 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

In order to not let this posting whither and die and to possibly help others.
These are some excerpts from P.M.s between Rootman and I.

Rootman said:
======================================================================
RoyM, Sorry to bother you.  I just downloaded your VBoxGuestAdditions.script 
and am trying to incorporate it into my Win7PE_SE project.  
I am a bit confused as to WHERE to put the VoxGuestAdditions.iso so the script can extract the files from it

RoyM said:
Hi Rootman
Certainly no bother, this is a wonderful script for VBox when all goes well
with all the Guest Addition bells and whistles and all.
Please notice that it was only written for the following version, After that all bets are off.
Title=VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.1.8r75467

[NOTES]
// SCRIPT SHOULD BE PLACE IN TWEAKS FOLDER
// x86 Builds: Penetwork will fail if VBoxShared Folder is opened. Disconnect VBoxShared Folder then start Penetwork
// x??ExtractName not extracted using 7-zip anymore.

[DoVBox]
If,ExistDir,"%VBoxFolder%",DirDelete,%VBoxFolder%,FAST
If,ExistDir,"%VBoxFolder%",Message,"%VBoxFolder% NOT DELETED",INFORMATION,6

** Next line checks if files extracted from .ISO* If iso not here C:\ProgramFiles\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso *** ** Then find in the registry where VBox is installed on Host Machine ***

If,NotExistFile,%ISOExtract%\%x86ExtractName%,If,NotExistFile,"%ProgramFilesDir%\%ProgramFolder%\%VBoxISO%",Run,%ScriptFile%,VBoxReg

*** If not extracted yet but .ISO is here,                C:\ProgramFiles\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso --> then extract the contents of the .ISO to the %ISOExtract% folder.
 here:  %ISO Extract%=%ProjectTemp%\TempExtractFolder\%ProgramFolder%

If,NotExistFile,%ISOExtract%\%x86ExtractName%,If,ExistFile,"%ProgramFilesDir%\%ProgramFolder%\%VBoxISO%",ShellExecute,Hide,%Tools%\7z.exe,"x #$q%ProgramFilesDir%\%ProgramFolder%\%VBoxISO%#$q -y -o#$q%ISOExtract%#$q"
If,NotExistFile,%ISOExtract%\%x86ExtractName%,Message,"x86 Did not Extract From ISO#$x%x86ExtractName%",INFORMATION,5
If,NotExistFile,%ISOExtract%\%x64ExtractName%,Message,"x64 Did not Extract From ISO#$x%x64ExtractName%",INFORMATION,5

So in short, the .ISO is download to the directory that VBox is installed to
then the script extracts the contents of the .ISO to something like Winbuilder\Temp\TempExtractFolder\Oracle\VirtualBox\*
the referencec folder just above this line is probably not accurate, 
I am on laptop right now and not on Development computer.

Rootman said:
Thanks!  I guess the issue was I was trying to compile my PE on a Windows 7 53 bit machine, 
I may have installed Virtualbox in a nonstandard location too.  
I tried again on my 32 bit PC and it worked just fine this time, found the ISO, extracted the files 
and when I booted it under VBox it worked a treat.
The mouse capture is really WORTH IT!

RoyM said:
Hey Rootman

Glad it's working!, This script is a wonderful addition to VBox. 
P.S. try out the shared folder provided via script, it makes life so much nicer.

I'm curious about the version of VBox Guest Additions.ISO that is now downloaded,
and whether or not I need to update the script for newer versions of the .ISO

If you have the time and inclination, could you please respond with what version 
of the VBox Guest Additions.ISO that is now being downloaded and used by VBox. 

This script was written for VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.1.8r75467 

Rootman said:
I'm running VBox 4.2.8 and the guest additions says it's also 4.2.8, the ISO itself is just titled 
VBoxVBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Not sure how to tell the "level" beyond that. 

The script appears to work fine on an X86 machine. Originally I was trying to compile the X86 WinPE7_SE 
on my Windows 7 X-86-AMD OS with VBox installed in a non standard location, 
one or both of these issues must of kept it from working. Trying on my my 32bit machine solved the issue.

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work.

*** Undocumented Notes for VBoxGuestAdditions.script V2 ***

"To help clarify any issues with VBoxGuestAdditions.script"

I originally wrote the script to extract the contents of VBoxGuestAdditions.iso using 7-Zip,
which would successfully extract all files from x86/x64 ISO's. 
But The 7-Zip extract was somewhat messy with non-standard folders and names, 
so I decided to use VBox's own included extractors:
%x86ExtractName%=VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe
%x64ExtractName%=VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe

This resulted in a much cleaner extract of the .ISO files and made scripting much easier and cleaner.

The trade-off to using the included VBox extractors is that if you try to "Cross-Build"
the VBox extractors would not function correctly.

(i.e)
 if you try to build an x86 PE on an X64 host, VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe would not run.
 if you try to build an x64 PE on an X86 host, VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe   would not run.

I am pleased that the script is still working using the above extraction method.
The decision to abandon the 7-Zip extract method was not the most universal/compatible method,
but, (you may be eligable to apply for a full refund of the paid price?.)

Due to work constraints I am not able to analyze and update the script for the newer VoxGuestAdditions.iso

If anyone is interested in updating the script to implement a 7-Zip extract,
I will surely provide development notes,procedures, and scripting notes from prior unpublished scripts.

Thanks for using VBoxGuestAdditions.script, Hope you enjoy it, "I know I do."

Regards
RoyM

#3 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

So the plot changes yet again.  I downloaded a brand new shiny Win PE 8 and the script - while it seems to work - does not load in the finished PE. The resultant ISO is 10 megs or so larger than the same ISO without the Vbox additions, so SOMETHING is being added to the build.

When launching the ISO in a virtual machine the VBox tools do not load in the tray and any NICs using the VBox paravirtual device do not connect, in fact the NIC doesn't even show up.

So, anyone experimented with this VBox additions script on Win PE 8 yet?

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

WHICH script?

Since this is not anymore a personal conversation between you two, it would be nice to provide a reference to it.

Also WHICH PE8 ?

The "original thing" by Chris and friends of the unnameable board, or one of the rips/mods/whatever? (Again, link please).

Or a MS PE 8?

WHICH EXACT version of EVERYTHING? (including the Vbox additions)

:cheers:

Wonko

#5 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Actually ANY PE 8 as I've tried it out with 3 of the WinBuilder projects (and I would have to guess since this is a VBox additions WIBUILDER script that the PE8 is a WinBuilder project would be a given) and all 3 produce the same results, for grins and giggles I'll stick with the last one I've tried: http://al-jo.net46.n...PEtutorial.html

Disregarding the ongoing "credit" fiasco going on with the above particular WinBuilder project it seems to produce a smaller ISO, by about 100 megs.  I've not picked it apart ro see why yet but I like the smaller size.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Good :), I see that you are not willing to provide any meaningful (needed) detail.

In my language that means that you don't actually want help to solve a problem, you are not a "newbie", you should know how troubleshooting works:

http://homepage.ntlw...ard-litany.html

If the scope was wasting some of yours and other people's time, you managed to do that, but at least limited to my time it has come to an end.

Have fun :).

Wonko

#7 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

If you see the scope of my question it was "So, anyone experimented with this VBox additions script on Win PE 8 yet?", your insistence on providing useless information for a question of a general nature to which NO ONE WHO HAS NOT TRIED IT will have an answer seems a little silly.  If you don't want your time wasted then PLEASE don't respond to posts to which you cannot provide an answer.

So, again, has ANYONE tried this VirtualBox Additions script on a Windows PE 8 project yet?  Did it work for you?

• pscEx likes this

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

So, again, has ANYONE tried this VirtualBox Additions script on a Windows PE 8 project yet?

Yes.

http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html

Did it work for you?

I don't know, I didn't try it .

Wonko

#9 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

So, let me get this straight, you actually think that your answer does ANY good what so ever?  You say YES you tried it and then NO you didn't?

Wonko, your genius in the Winbuilder script and contributions is unparalleled,  However it is responses like this that reminds me of why the original PE forum blew apart and fractured and WHY I took a hiatus of several years before coming back.  Dude, if you have nothing to actually contribute then please try and refrain form posting.  I for one have seen other threads like this, I begin to see snide remarks and confusion being tossed about for no other reason than people wanting to see the world burn and no real progress being made.  I then drop the thread like a hot rock.

I asked a simple answer, fully expecting no real response as few people seem to use the script, but vaguely somehow hoping that someone might chime in with an answer like "Yes I tried it and it seems incomparable"  and probably drop the issue right there. The benefits are marginal being mainly the mouse capture.  I've seen other weird things with the Windows 8 PE that tell me this is going to be a difficult beast to tame no matter what I try.  I simply tried building it to keep somewhat up to date.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

So, let me get this straight, you actually think that your answer does ANY good what so ever? 

No, I never thought it would be of any use, I actually posted it AFTER having declared how attempting to help you resulted in some wasted time, and since I still had some more spare time to waste, I decided to spend some of it in NOT helping you.

You say YES you tried it and then NO you didn't?

No, I answered the questions, I am pretty sure that SOMEONE tried it, I personally did not.

And I don't think I ever contributed (much) to Winbuilder scripts, and yes, I am a self-declared grumpy and old bastard, which of course does not mean that I am the cause or connected with your decision about leaving for several years the "original" PE forum :dubbio:, nor the cause of all evil in the world.

I thought you had a problem, I tried to help you, it turns out that you had no problem (or not serious enough to wanting to provide some details, let alone actually try to solve it), and my attempt to try and help you seemingly disturbed you, judging form the thankfulness transpiring from your reply, so I decided to give you some actual reasons to be annoyed by me.

Wonko

#11 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Well Wonko, congratulations, you've done it, actually won an argument on the internet. 

So celebrate by having a Mt. Dew and a bag of Cheetos, be sure to hang a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door of your grandmas basement so no one walks in on your celebratory wank-fest.

I see too much of this crap already.  Bullies and BSers just don't contribute.a thing to this community. It's headed the down the same path that lead to the previous forms demise.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I see no argument.

Let alone anyone winning it.

Wonko