Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ultimate-Super-Smart-Secret 'Removable' USB Drive with Mega-Booting

multi boot dual partition grub4dos easy2boot removable usb drive iso image uefi uefi multi.exe usb booting winntsetup 3

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I tried that. No joy.

Strange.
Really strange. :dubbio:
On XP it works fine (I use it *normally*, I use the "Safely remove hardware" to remove the stupid multi-card reader and devcon restart to later re-enable it). I get error code 47 (re-plug needed) when I do the removal, then I run devcon on the appropriate hub and get back to "working device".
Maybe it is a feature of the PE environment or an "enhancement" in later Windows systems.

:duff:
Wonko

#52 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

How do I do a 'Safely remove h/w' in WInPE?

#53 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

Easiest Way for Installing Filter Driver (cfadisk) within 'Boot.wim' On-the-FLY       

1- First download 'Filter Driver On-the-Fly v1.0.zip' file from HERE

2- Extract 'Filter Driver On-the-Fly v1.0.zip' to any location and double-click on 'CreateDesktopShortCuts.cmd' in

order to create 'Mount_wim_2' Desktop shortcut Icon.

3- Drag-and-drop desired 'boot.wim' file onto the 'Mount_wim_2' Desktop shortcut in order to continue process. 

It will automatically mount the 'boot.wim' file and copy Filter Driver files to %SystemDrive%\mount4 folder

4- You can cross-check mounted %SystemDrive%\mount4 folder for changes (not required) otherwise

Just Close Explorer (Don't forget to Close Explorer, It's very Important) !. 

5- And then Enter C or D for Commit changes or Discard.

6- Press any key to Continue...

7- Done.......

And now you can boot both 32 Bit 'Boot.wim' and 64-Bit 'Boot.wim' ("testsigning" option must be enable in BIOS BCD & UEFI BCD) within from any Partition (PTN1/PTN2/PTN3/PTN4) of your 'Removable USB Drive' in order to load 'install.wim' file within from any Partition (PTN1/PTN2/PTN3/PTN4) of your 'Removable USB Drive' in both BIOS and UEFI (Secure Boot Disablemode.

I find this method much more reliable than using 'DISM GUI 4.0' or 'GImageX v2.1.1' or any other tools and a lot easier...

Cheers....   :) 

Attached Files

#54 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

How do I do a 'Safely remove h/w' in WInPE?

Try with RemoveDrive :unsure:: http://www.uwe-siebe...ivetools_e.html or with the same devcon, it should be something *like* devcon remove "USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy"

Just tested in XP:

devcon listclass USB
devcon status *USB*
Found ID: USB\VID_058F&PID_6362\058F312D81B
devcon disable "@USB\VID_058F&PID_6362\058F312D81B" <- Code22
devcon restart *ROOT_HUB20* <-nothing happens
devcon enable "@USB\VID_058F&PID_6362\058F312D81B" <- restored as before

devcon remove "@USB\VID_058F&PID_6362\058F312D81B" <- vanished
devcon restart *ROOT_HUB20* <- restored as before

http://www.uwe-siebe...ivetools_e.html
removedrive E: <- Code21

http://www.heise.de/...links/208.shtml

deveject.exe -EjectId:"USB\VID_058F&PID_6362\058F312D81B" <- Code47

Seemingly Windows 8.1 (and possibly 8) needs to do it twice :w00t:, see:
https://www.raymond....g-and-reinsert/

What I don't seem to find is an easy way in batch to find out to which USB HUB the device is connected. :dubbio:

Wonko

#55 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hi Wonko

Thanks for the posts and tips. By experimenting with RemoveDrive and RestartStrDev, I have found out what the problem was.

The drvload command (and RemoveDrive) did not work because the batch file it is running, is on the USB drive so Windows cannot lock and dismount the USB drive to remove it and re-enumerate the drives again.

To fix this, I copy a set of batch files + the driver files to the X: ramdrive and then run a batch file on drive X:.

This runs drvload fine but all drive letters are now changed because the USB drive is now a hard disk as seen by Windows and becomes C:!

So I then have to look through all drive letters again to find the USB drive letter again, and then carry on with the rest of the batch file to load the ISO file from the USB drive using ImDisk.

phew!

Anyway, the result is that Windows Setup can see all partitions on a Removable drive.

Just how useful this will be I am not sure... I guess the ISO file could be on the 2nd partition of a removable drive now...

• devdevadev likes this

#56 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

The drvload command (and RemoveDrive) did not work because the batch file it is running, is on the USB drive so Windows cannot lock and dismount the USB drive to remove it and re-enumerate the drives again.

To fix this, I copy a set of batch files + the driver files to the X: ramdrive and then run a batch file on drive X:.

This runs drvload fine but all drive letters are now changed because the USB drive is now a hard disk as seen by Windows and becomes C:!

So I then have to look through all drive letters again to find the USB drive letter again, and then carry on with the rest of the batch file to load the ISO file from the USB drive using ImDisk.

phew!

Anyway, the result is that Windows Setup can see all partitions on a Removable drive.

Just how useful this will be I am not sure... I guess the ISO file could be on the 2nd partition of a removable drive now...

HEy...Steve...

I think I had already suggested exactly the same IDEA ( for copy a set of batch files + the driver files to the X: ramdrive and then run a batch file on drive X:.) to you in mail. I was expecting for the success. And Finally you got that point. Now It will be going be very useful for us (Specially for me).

Thanks for your researching.......

#57 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Sure, but copying batch files etc. seemed unnecessary at the time. As it turns out, it is necessary to run from the X: drive otherwise the C: drive and USB drive is locked by Windows and a 'reboot is required' message is returned.

• devdevadev likes this

#58 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

the same IDEA

Another idea: integrate the filter driver (cfadisk, dummydisk, diskmod) to boot.wim: dism /Add-Driver

the IF EXIST will throw an error on machines with "multi card readers"

The XP cmd.exe would throw an error, later versions not anymore.
No, a empty card reader slot won't throw a error.
  • devdevadev likes this

#59 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

Another idea: integrate the filter driver (cfadisk, dummydisk, diskmod) to boot.wim: dism /Add-Driver

Thanks for the Tip.... ;)

Actually we all already knew about this. And I was also using this till now. But I had heard from somewhere that we can't do UEFI Booting (Secur Boot Enable) of  unsigned driver integrated 'boot.wim'. And AFAIK, all filter drivers are unsigned. AM I RIGHT ??

It's why I have to look for Filter Driver On-the-Fly. And I think now It should do UEFI Booting (Secur Boot Enable) of  on-the-fly 'cfadisk' injected 'boot.wim'. AM I RIGHT ?

Regards....

#60 androidserv

androidserv
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

No, that is not what devs mod does.

If you look at the download, it just adds a winpeshl.ini file which runs a batch file when WinPE boots.

So cfadisk driver is not installed until boot time (each and every time WinPE boots, drvload is run).

The difference seems to be that when I run drvload (win 8 x86), it says it installed correctly but that a reboot is required, with devadev's WinPE, it does not say that a reboot is required.

@Steve6375: In case you might not notice, devdevadev's cfadisk is a forked/updated version by some MDL user (hence the new name "microdrive") which is different from original cfadisk.sys.

FYI, I didn't get things worked with original cfadisk.sys. But with the new cfadisk (microdriver) version, things worked right away.

Things even worked better with diskmod (ie. on WindowsToGo), because diskmod can regconize any usb stick as usb hdd whereas cfadisk can only regconize the one from which it's installed.

About this "on-the-fly" method or any method of integrating unsigned drivers, it won't work on Win x64 if we haven't set its BCD entry with "Testsigning ON" option. Does anyone have ideas to bypass that?

Edited by androidserv, 01 December 2014 - 08:03 AM.

• devdevadev likes this

#61 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

Yep :):

All in all I would actually see if it is possible to add the cfadisk (or dummydisk or diskmod) to the offline PE in boot.wim (i.e. without using drvload, but rather DISM), I mean it is not like "as is" you have a choice to install or not install the filter driver and the on-the-fly installation would make sense only if needed on some systems and not needed on others, but off hand I cannot see any particular reason to NOT have such a filter driver installed.  :dubbio:

but as Steve pointed out, adding it on the fly (with his modified method through autounattend.xml) might allow for keeping the .iso "untouched".

The XP cmd.exe would throw an error, later versions not anymore.
No, a empty card reader slot won't throw a error.

Good to know for next time :thumbsup:, still the looking for all drives to invariably end on X: specifically wasn't needed.

@androidserv
The way the cfadisk driver behaves depends on the .inf, cdob made it installable as attached to USBSTOR\Gendisk (please read to all USB disks) a lot of time ago, JFYI:

http://www.msfn.org/...ation/?p=818429

But yes, nowadays I would prefer Diskmod anyway. :)

@Steve6375

As I see it you could see if you can pre-populate \DosDevices (a la migrate.inf) with the appropriate drive letter(s) for the stick volumes after having "removed" the device and before "restoring" it or you could try playing with the "no automount" settings available in PE 3's and 4's and attribute the drive letters with mountvol.

Wonko

#62 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

About this "on-the-fly" method or any method of integrating unsigned drivers, it won't work on Win x64 if we haven't set its BCD entry with "Testsigning ON" option. Does anyone have ideas to bypass that?

It does work on WinPE\Setup though. The new E2B v1.61Beta3 automatically installs cfadisk when you boot from an x86 or 64-bit Windows Install ISO and this allows Setup to access files on any partition on the USB Removable Flash drive. I tested with Win 7 64-bit ISO.

• devdevadev likes this

#63 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

It does work on WinPE\Setup though. The new E2B v1.61Beta3 automatically installs cfadisk when you boot from an x86 or 64-bit Windows Install ISO and this allows Setup to access files on any partition on the USB Removable Flash drive. I tested with Win 7 64-bit ISO.

You mean 64-bit Windows Install ISO can also BIOS Boot from PTN2/PTN3/PTN4 of 'Removable USB Drive' without Enabling " Testsigning " option in BIOS BCD. Could I understood correctly ??

Does 64-bit Windows Install ISO also UEFI Boot (Secure Boot Disable) from PTN2/PTN3/PTN4 of 'Removable USB Drive' without Enabling " Testsigning " option in UEFI BCD if we install 'microdrive' filter driver On-the-Fly within 64-bit 'boot.wim' ???

Regards....

#64 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hmmm - I have hit a bit of a problem!

I tested Win7 64-bit Windows Install ISO and it worked fine, but the Win 8.1 64-bit Windows Install ISO failed!

When the drvload cfadisk ran, it said a reboot was required, but worse still was that the USB drive then disappeared after it ran!

It is not visible in Diskpart and unplugging/reconnecting the USB drive physically does not fix it either!

Maybe I will have to remove this 'feature' from E2B...

#65 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hmmm - I have hit a bit of a problem!

I tested Win7 64-bit Windows Install ISO and it worked fine, but the Win 8.1 64-bit Windows Install ISO failed!

When the drvload cfadisk ran, it said a reboot was required, but worse still was that the USB drive then disappeared after it ran!

Maybe :unsure::

Seemingly Windows 8.1 (and possibly 8) needs to do it twice :w00t:, see:
https://www.raymond....g-and-reinsert/

Wonko

#66 androidserv

androidserv
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

It is not visible in Diskpart and unplugging/reconnecting the USB drive physically does not fix it either!

Maybe things are different on Windows 7 and ISO booting method. (IIRC, some article said that if you install the driver's certificate (if any), Win 7 won't even pop up any warning).

I mentioned about the error because I have only done tests on Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro. And well:

- If we use cfadisk (microdrive), drvload will say the driver has been installed successfully, but the USB drive is not available anymore just as Steve said.

- If we use diskmod, drvload will inform that the driver can't be installed with error code 0xe000024b

#67 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

'loveleeyoungae' had provided me a checklist about integrating filter drivers as follow:

a. BIOS Mode: Winx86 works without any concern about Testsigning.
b. BIOS Mode: Winx64 works ONLY when Testsigning is ON/ENABLED.
c. UEFI Mode but Secure Boot is OFF/DISABLED: Winx86 works without any concern about Testsigning.
d. UEFI Mode but Secure Boot is OFF/DISABLED: Winx64 works ONLY when Testsigning is ON/ENABLED.
e. UEFI Mode and Secure Boot is ON/ENABLED: No matter how you try to change BCD boot options or settings,
    BOTH Winx86 and Winx64 can't work.

Till now point a,b,c and d seems to be TURE. But what about 'point e' ? Is 'point e' also correct ?

Can anybody please confirm about 'point e' ?

Regards...

#68 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

But I had heard from somewhere that we can't do UEFI Booting

Yes, it's not possible at windows default files.

UEFI Mode and Secure Boot is ON/ENABLED: No matter how you try to change BCD boot options or settings, BOTH Winx86 and Winx64 can't work.

Win8.1SE patches winload.exe too. Secure boot is possible at unsigned drivers.
Try Win8.1SE secure boot.
  • devdevadev likes this

#69 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

Yes, it's not possible at windows default files.

Win8.1SE patches winload.exe too. Secure boot is possible at unsigned drivers.
Try Win8.1SE secure boot.

Thanks for maintaining the Hope.....

You mean ChrisR 32/64-bit 'Win8.1SE' (integrated with unsigned driverspatches 'winload.exe' in order to successfully UEFI Boot with Secure Boot Enable ?

AFAIK, 'winload.efi' is boot file in case of UEFI Booting (both for Secure Boot Enable and Secure Boot Disable).  So why Win8.1SE patches 'winload.exe' instead of 'winload.efi'. Is there no need to patch 'winload.efi' for Secure UEFI Booting along with unsigned drivers ??

After reading you post, Now It's looking that If we use patched 'winload.exe/'winnload.efi' (if necessary) within 32/64-bit 'boot.wim' (integrated with unsigned drivers) then It may also perform successful Secure UEFI Booting at Unsigned Drivers 

AM I RIGHT ?

Can I use patched 'winload.exe' from 'Win8.1SE' to my 32/64-bit 'boot.wim' ?

Does 'Win8.1SE_2014-10-17.zip' already contains patched 'winload.exe' of both 32-bit and 64-bit ? Or It patch 'winload.exe' during creation of 32/64-bit 'Win8.1SE'  ?

Are both 32-bit and 64-bit 'winload.exe' are same ?

Regards.....

#70 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:38 AM

I'm remember a post about 'You Require Permissions From TrustedInstaller' at the oven.
No, I don't remember details anymore.
Sorry, not winload.exe at UEFI. winload.efi

Didn't you integrate cfadisk to Win8?SE in the past?
Can you boot this at UEFI mode?

#71 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:14 AM

I'm remember a post about 'You Require Permissions From TrustedInstaller' at the oven.

I have read above mentioned Tutorial and It's very useful. Thanks for that....But I can copy 'winload.exe' within from 'Win8.1SE_x86_boot.wim' by just mounting WIM file. then why this Tutorial ??

I had integrated microdrive (cfadisk) to 'Win8.1SE_x86_boot.wim' in the past. But I had not created 

'Win8.1SE_x64_boot.wim' till now because I don't have neither any 64-bit OS nor any UEFI machine at this  time

in order to test. Actually I am waiting for releasing 'Win 10 x64'. ;) And want to knew about all the fact regarding

64-bit Secure UEFI Booting in advance before I buy my upcoming UEFI machine. :)  But Internet is seems to be

useless this time for getting some important information about patching of 'winload.exe/winload.efi' in order to 

Secure UEFI Booting of Unsigned Driver integrated 32/64-bit 'boot.wim'

If you don't mind, then Can you please tell me about the Final Conclusion about these Secure UEFI Booting confusions ?

I can't stay with these UEFI confusions till I buy a UEFI machine ....So please help me......

Thanks & Regards....

#72 androidserv

androidserv
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

No, I don't remember details anymore.
Sorry, not winload.exe at UEFI. winload.efi

I tried that. UEFI firmware didn't allow the integrated win81sepe.wim to boot even though all 3 BCD parameters were set:

loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

nointegritychecks Yes

testsigning Yes

About default Win81SE_PE build:

I saw the threads about "patched winload.exe" on the oven. It looks like they all mentioned that the winload.exe/.efi of Win8.1SEPE is patched, hence we'll have to add those BCD parameters above for a successful boot. However, my built one doesn't require that!

Even though it was built with default settings and the special BCD parameters were deleted, it could still boot in Enabled Secure Boot UEFI.

Edited by androidserv, 02 December 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#73 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

About default Win81SE_PE build:

I saw the threads about "patched winload.exe" on the oven. It looks like they all mentioned that the winload.exe/.efi of Win8.1SEPE is patched, hence we'll have to add those BCD parameters above for a successful boot. However, my built one doesn't require that!

Even though it was built with default settings and the special BCD parameters were deleted, it could still boot in Enabled Secure Boot UEFI.

Can you please tell more about your Special Built (Win81SE_PE build)? Please..... :) How you have created your special build which can successfully boot in Secure Boot enabled UEFI even after integrating unsigned driver ?

Regards...

#74 androidserv

androidserv
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

Can you please tell more about your Special Built (Win81SE_PE build)? Please..... :) How you have created your special build which can successfully boot in Secure Boot enabled UEFI even after integrating unsigned driver ?

Regards...

Please read the post carefully. That part belongs to the 2nd paragraph which is about default build (no driver integration).

#75 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

If we have a Windows Installer 'boot.wim' and a WinPE 'Win8.1SE_x86_boot.wim'. then -

For 'boot.wim'                             -   Boot Index is : 2
For 'Win8.1SE_x86_boot.wim'     Boot Index is : 1

So now 'Filter Driver On-the-Fly v1.1.zip' mount Image Index 2 for 'boot.wim' and Image Index 1 for 'Win8.1SE_x86_boot.wim'.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multi boot, dual partition, grub4dos, easy2boot, removable usb drive, iso image, uefi, uefi multi.exe, usb booting, winntsetup 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users