Canada

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image

File Name: TracePE
File Submitter: Flyboarder
File Submitted: 10 Oct 2011
File Updated: 11 Nov 2011
File Category: Projects

TracePE is a brand new PE building project designed to be a cleaner building process and allow for anyone to easily create compatible scripts.

We now have project space on reboot.pro! Add 'flyboarder.reboot.pro/tracepe/' to your server list and get updates as we release them!

Users can build a PE (2.x / 3.x) based on Windows Vista, 7 and 8, x86/x64 using Windows AIK (WAIK).

BETA - Trace is now entering BETA!!! The Base System (Base and Finalize folders) are now 'Mostly' Stable. (this means less of :lamo:)
Since we are getting closer to a v1.0 release the more bugs that are reported the more stable Trace will become!
I would LOVE :wub: if other reboot.pro members would like to also help finish this project! Hit the 'support forum' link and upload changes that you want to see.
If the build does fail for you please upload the log file(s) so that I can continue development.

=========
Features:
=========
- TracePE Scripts use Trace_API
- .NET 4 (under dev)

...more info to come!

Click here to download this file
  • Brito likes this

#2 Rui Paz

Rui Paz

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hi,

Can you add more details like PE version (PE1, PE2, PE3)? Sources accepted (x86,x64)?

Thanks.

#3 Flyboarder

Flyboarder

• .script developer
  • 95 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hi,

Can you add more details like PE version (PE1, PE2, PE3)? Sources accepted (x86,x64)?

Thanks.

Project Description has been updated, Thanks!

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

Do we need to install WAIK or just provide the link for the ISO image?

I'm trying this project over the weekend.

:)

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

When I tried to download, Avast killed the download because of "Malware".

I suggest you inform Avast about "False Positive".

Peter

#6 Flyboarder

Flyboarder

• .script developer
  • 95 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi,

Do we need to install WAIK or just provide the link for the ISO image?

I'm trying this project over the weekend.

:)

Trace does require the WAIK, and with version 0.3 (being uploaded via ftp as I type). It has options for downloading the correct WAIK version based on a user selection. Also DONT INSTALL THE BOOTLOADER!!! I am currently working on getting this fixed but i cant figure out how to boot the PE from the bootloader. You must select the USB drive you wish to copy the PE onto on the same screen. (Give it a try and feel free to ask any questions here!)

When I tried to download, Avast killed the download because of "Malware".

I suggest you inform Avast about "False Positive".

Peter

Please download the file, decompress it, and scan the folder again. The download should NOT have any malware associated with any of the Trace Scripts. If you are getting any false positives please list which files are being reported as infected. ALL Trace development is done in a VM with files synced via dropbox (this is done for development across multiple vm's for different OS versions) and do NOT intentionaly contain malware, the only thought I have on this is that possibly one of the tools used by the project is being reported incorrectly.

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Ok then, will wait for the new version.

It is important to list all the requirements and steps to get your project working. This really helps new users to get things working on their own.

---- Added ---
What is the folder that I should use as source? The WAIK folder or a Windows 7 install folder?

:cheers:

Edited by Nuno Brito, 05 November 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#8 Flyboarder

Flyboarder

• .script developer
  • 95 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Ok then, will wait for the new version.

It is important to list all the requirements and steps to get your project working. This really helps new users to get things working on their own.

Agreed, I am working on building a list of known limitations and will update the file download page once the list is complete. (Will also include missing/limited features)

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

My issue is, that without deactivating Avast, I cannot download.

BTW: I think that it is not necessary to examine / scan your project. .script developers are trusted here.

But in order to avoid similar "no download" for other users, I suggested that you send your project / file in question to Avast and tell them that it is clean.

I already did so with a different file about one or two years ago (don't remember what is has been), and since then Avast decided this file as "Clean".

Peter

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

I'm a bit confused. Is this one of those projects that build a PE just from WAIK? The first post made it sound, like it would build from Vista, Win7 and -8. :confused1:

#11 Flyboarder

Flyboarder

• .script developer
  • 95 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

I'm a bit confused. Is this one of those projects that build a PE just from WAIK? The first post made it sound, like it would build from Vista, Win7 and -8. :confused1:

Yes, this project is build using the Windows AIK. Additional components are added via mounting install disk wims and extracting files, so technically this would build a 3.x PE with windows explorer from Win8 if used with the correct source.

---- Added ---
What is the folder that I should use as source? The WAIK folder or a Windows 7 install folder?

Source Dir should be installation media root, i recommend copying the contents to HDD for increased performance!

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Hi,

I've tried downloading this project and also other projects available at this moment. Your project keeps being flagged on my antivirus because of fbinstTool.exe being inside the package.

Will try to find some time to properly test your project. :)

#13 Flyboarder

Flyboarder

• .script developer
  • 95 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

Update: v06 will be out soon. Im working on windows explorer integration (possibly adding other shells in this release, depending on how long explorer takes). Most of this release is fixing bugs that come up once you start working with additional scripts for other apps. TraceAPI will also be changing a bit as I'm fixing bugs that I didn't see before (WIMVars in the API mostly, need to write better docs as how variables are being created, there is a method to the madness which I should explain).

The boot loader for Trace is BURG. I am having issues getting it to boot a winpe. I had asked bean123 on the burg loader forum for help and he answered but the site seems to be down so i cant check his response. If anyone knows how to boot a winpe from burg / grub2 please pm me or post here. I did start a topic for this issue but I haven't had time to work on that part of the project yet, mostly working on the shell and features portions.

BIG thanks to everyone who helped develop the original win7pe (and all the spin off's) as most of the code is already written and just needs to be converted.

I will also hopefully get better with changing script version numbers and uploading them to the server, however Im having issues with FTP to reboot.pro from my VM's (brutally slow upload). So for now downloading the archives from reboot.pro is probably best. Im currently hosting the files on dropbox as not to take up too much space on the reboot server.

TraceScript from the API is designed to make everyone's life easier from here on out when it comes to creating application scripts as it has build in organization. I will be adding an optional section where the developer can select which portions of the script should be executed. Ex. Currently TraceScript runs specific script sections, in the future all sections will be optional and defined by the script dev.

===========================================

ROADMAP for v06:
TraceScript Improvements
Windows Explorer Shell
WIMVars Fixes
BURG Loader working (may push back to v07 or v08)
Upload Process (probably v07)
Debug Script - Add fbinstTool.exe to tools list. (webget to fix antivirus warnings)

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hello,

I tried this project but it fails on the initial steps because of a hardcoded path for windows that is not from my machine.

To replicate this error, try running tracePE from a new machine as if you were a new user yourself.

Also, is fbinstTool really necessary? My anti virus really doesn't like the file and I'm sure that many users will not try the project if it is flagged this way.

Last but not least, would be possible to only share one winbuilder executable instead of plenty? Users will not be sure of what to do. There are also a lot of log files inside the project that should be removed from the download package. In the past, I just created a script or added a button that would clean up my project: remove hardcoded paths, remove logs, remove cache files, etc. Perhaps you can apply the same concept.

Other than that, thumbs up for the effort of keeping this project very simple and intuitive! :thumbup:

#15 Flyboarder

Flyboarder

• .script developer
  • 95 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Hello,

I tried this project but it fails on the initial steps because of a hardcoded path for windows that is not from my machine.

There are no hardcoded paths that I am aware of, could you upload your log files please? Also make sure that you go through all the config options before building.

Also, is fbinstTool really necessary? My anti virus really doesn't like the file and I'm sure that many users will not try the project if it is flagged this way.

I will add the option to download it in the next release to fix this issue.

Last but not least, would be possible to only share one winbuilder executable instead of plenty? Users will not be sure of what to do.

In what other way would you suggest distributing a project that requires a specific version of WB?
I have partially done this to show the differences between the versions which break projects like this.

There are also a lot of log files inside the project that should be removed from the download package. In the past, I just created a script or added a button that would clean up my project: remove hardcoded paths, remove logs, remove cache files, etc. Perhaps you can apply the same concept.

Other than that, thumbs up for the effort of keeping this project very simple and intuitive! :thumbup:

This is also planned for the next release, Im working on designing a cleaning process for the project.

#16 pokemon1

pokemon1

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

<The boot loader for Trace is BURG. I am having issues getting it to boot a winpe. I had asked bean123 on the burg loader forum for help and he answered but the site seems to be down so i cant check his response. If anyone knows how to boot a winpe from burg / grub2 please pm me or post here. I did start a topic for this issue but I haven't had time to work on that part of the project yet, mostly working on the shell and features portions>

Not sure if you are able to load winpe with burg directly; If so can you please share how?

I am able to burg chainload grub4dos then grub4dos chainloading winpe.iso;

example -
menuentry "WinPE.iso" {
linux /boot/grub/grub.exe --config-file="ls /iso/WinPE.iso || find --set-root --ignore-floppies /iso/WinPE.iso;map /iso/WinPE.iso (0xff);map --hook;root (0xff);chainloader /BOOTMGR"
}

my usb root has a folder 'boot' > 'boot' has a folder 'grub' containing grub.exe, grldr, default. burg is installed in usb mbr.

Cheers

Edited by pokemon1, 01 December 2011 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users