wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

WD Elements 1042 Portable USB-harddisk connected to Intel i5 machine with Intel USB 3.0 ports

XP compared to Win7 and to Win8

Attached File  XP_WD_U3.png   473.39KB   4 downloads  ==  Attached File  W7_WD_U3.png   511.54KB   4 downloads == Attached File  W8_WD_U3.png   414.55KB   1 downloads

In XP the USB 3.0 controller Intel - 1E31 is installed as System Device without children

In Win7 the Intel USB 3.0 xhci is present with child Intel USB 3.0 Hub

WD Elements has USB 3.0 connector but is in XP and in Win7  a child of USB 2.0 ehci controller

In Win8 the WD Elements is a child of USB 3.0 xhci Controller of Microsoft  :clap:

The speed to copy a 15 GB VHD from internal HDD to WD USB Portable is about 20 MB/sec in XP and Win7

whereas in Win8 a gain of factor 3 is obtained giving speed of about 60 MB/sec

Thus only Win 8 gives me the real boost of USB 3.0 in ageement with connection via XHCI Controller.

:cheers:

• dw3ll013 likes this

#1077 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

Greetings folks. I am new to wimb and I see that the original post already has a couple or more years. Has anything changed since then that I should be aware? I am going to try to put Windows XP SP3 on a USB disk. Currently the computer only has windows 7. All advise will be greatly welcome by this n00b :) Cheers

#1078 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Original post is up to date, but easier and better is to read this link about

Install XP in VHD using XP Setup ISO file and WinVBlock driver

http://reboot.pro/to...tall-xp-in-vhd/

#1079 o.k.

o.k.

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hi. Very interesting topic and nice work.

I want to ask:

Is it posible to create and install XP (or 7, 8) to a VHD file which can boot in virtual machine and native.

I have tried to install XP native with grub4dos (map winvblock.ima) it works good, but in virtaulbox gives me blue screen with error 0x7B (boot drive error). The Mass Storage driver pack was integrated to the setup iso, and also tried to delete mounteddevices in registry. Also tried to install xp in virtual machine, and install winvblock driver (or firadisk) and then native boot only works with memory mapping, file mapping gives error 0x7B. Tried to map vhd both as file and ram drive, but xp cant see filedrive. If i use VHD_XP_Compact on the image created in virtualbox it boots native but not in virtual machine. I'm not an expert and for me it's not clear the difference between the boot process in virtual machine and native boot.

Thank you for reply.  

#1080 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I never use virtual machines since for recovery and repair purposes I need to boot my VHD from USB or HDD on real machines.

Virtual machines can introduce extra complexity that I would like to exclude. 

It means that I don't have enough experience with booting XP VHD in virtual machines and cannot help you to solve your problem.

Anyway it is nice to hear that booting XP VHD on real machines is working OK for you.

In Virtual Machine probably you will have more succes  with Portable Win7 VHD made by VHD_W7_Compact.exe

#1081 mikeserv

mikeserv

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

O.K.: Hi. While I'm far from an expert, I suspect your problem is with HAL - the Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer. Broadly speaking, every NT-based Windows system already is a virtual machine. The user-mode Win32 subsystem runs atop the NT kernel and possibly alongside other user-mode subsystems like OS/2 and POSIX. By virtue of its epehemeral nature, Win32 subsystem can be reconfigured ad infinitum, but its parent the NT kernel and its HAL management processes can be rather stubborn when low-level hardware addresses change.

A native Windows possible solution to your issue is sysprep. As I understand it, you configure a machine to operate to your specifications, then you save a log of changes. At this point HAL Is released by the kernel. When the Windows system next boots it performs a system installation and verifies and hardens HAL, after which any drastic hardware change is likely to result in its failure.

Probably you realize that this amounts to a system installation at every boot, which is probably not an exciting prospect. First its important to understand that all necessary files can be provided directly, and even, with some effort, be configured to install to their proper locations via hard-links rather than actually copying data resulting in drastically improved installation times.

While I'm unclear on this (and, to be honest, i'm a little foggy on all the rest as well), I believe it may be possible to use a sysprepped VHD as the seed disk in a differenced array. Disk differencing works with a copy-on-write technique by saving all changes to a filesystem to a separate filesystem. In your case it is conceivable that you could load first from read-only sysprepped image file which will then layer atop the parent vhd a rewritable image file containing all changes you have made to the filesystem since first-boot. It is interesting to consider the potential of keeping a differenced VHD for virtual machines and one for bare-metal and loading the correct write-layer depending on the current boot hardware.

A more flexible approach may be to consider always virtualizing Windows regardless of boot system under some minimal Linux host, though this does of course present its own set of problems in addition to the obvious overhead involved. Still, with no Windows HAL issues, modern hardware management, and the possibility of incorporating interesting optimizations like Kernel Same page Merging, the Kernel Virtual Machine, and Zswap/ZRAM it might be worth considering.

Again, please understand that this is speculation. I should probably be disregarded entirely in most cases, but I just thought such options might be interesting to you and so considered to share.

-Mike

#1082 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

@mikeserv

JFYI, there are no particular issues in using different HAL's.

See:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19397

but, more generally:

http://support.micro...kb/833721/en-us

/HAL=filename
With this switch, you can define the actual hardware abstraction layer (HAL) that is loaded at startup. For example, type /HAL=halmps.dll to load the Halmps.dll in the System32 folder. This switch is useful to try out a different HAL before you rename the file to Hal.dll. This switch is also useful when you want to try to switch between starting in multiprocessor mode and starting in single processor mode. To do this, use this switch with the /kernel switch.
/kernel=filename
With this switch, you can define the actual kernel that is loaded at startup. For example, type /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe to load the Ntkrnlmp.exe file in the System32 folder. With this switch, you can switch between a debug-enabled kernel that is full of debugging code and a regular kernel.

The Windows STOP ERROR 0x0000007b, however is "inaccessible boot device", and that means - strangely enough :w00t: - that the boot device is inaccessible ;)

Wonko

#1083 mikeserv

mikeserv

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks, Wonko. Another Microsoft mystery just grew a little less mysterious for me. I had no idea you could just give it another one when the first one gave up. Where do you get the other HAL anyway? (Probably the answer is in your links I realize, but I'm currently focused on this box, no offense meant and none will be taken if you don't care to answer.)

Interesting about the "boot device unavailable" error. He mentions grub4dos. I've only ever set that up once for XP, but as I recall it put a grldr file at the root of C: for me. I'm more familiar with BOOTMGR than NTLDR, though honestly that isn't saying much. Do you have any advice for the other guy?

And Wonko, I'm curious: do you know if the differenced sysprepped image scenario I mentioned is possible? I know it can be done with an installed system of course, but can you difference a vhd before finalizing a system installation?

#1084 mikeserv

mikeserv

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Oh, wait a minute, xp doesn't do native vhd booting at all, right? Of course, this is a modified boot process. Some general advice for troubleshooting your problem, OK:

1) If you're telling virtual box when you first configure the machine that the OS is of WinXP type, consider trying as Other or something.

2) Maybe dd (or rawcopy is quite good) your xp install into a virtual box formatted disk and attempt to boot it.

2) Like 2), but image to a physical disk partition and tell vbox to boot from it "raw."

3) Like 2), but don't image and instead attempt the install process you did for the xp vhd you have booting on bare metal to a vbox format disk.

5) If any success is had in 1), 2), 3), or 4) then diff the disk contents between the usable disk and your vhd. If it can be done, you might also try snapshotting your vhd during the blue screen and diffing against the offline disk. In this way you may more easily locate the source of your issue. All of the above recommendations are made because I consider it a distinct possibility that virtual box may have some built-in custom mechanism for booting XP itself that is conflicting with your current method and/or that virtual box may make certain assumptions when encountering a vhd that alters it's behavior in favor of Vista+.

6) If none of the above methods work then, as I recall, it is possible to uninstall grub4dos and reinstall NTLDR. I don't remember the specifics, but you might find some here: http://kb.acronis.com/content/1507 and at grub4dos Google code page. I realize that this might defeat your purpose to some degree, but if you configure the bootloader in a COW differenced disk-layer, it will likely only add a few megabytes to your overall image size and can probably be loaded as a file-system layer only when needed.

#1085 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have tried to install XP native with grub4dos (map winvblock.ima) it works good, but in virtaulbox gives me blue screen with error 0x7B (boot drive error). 

USB_XP_Fix.exe will Install MassStorage drivers e.g. VMSCSI.sys from integrated Windows\driverPacks\M folder in your XP-1.vhd  present when KTD option was used.

It can also make other hal / kernel files available and use them via modified boot.ini menu

Use USB_XP_Fix.exe before transfer to Virtual machine

#1086 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

@mikeserv

If the idea is to help the "other guy" (i.e. o.k.) maybe this is not the right place to throw in your doubts and/or semi-random advice. :w00t:

No offence whatever intended :) but it seems to me like you have not (yet ;)) clear a huge amount of (needed) knowledge on the booting of XP (generically) and of XP inside a .vhd (or a RAW image) on real or virtual hardware more specifically.

Maybe it would be advisable if you start a new thread, like here:

http://reboot.pro/fo...ndows-2kxp2003/

where maybe we can discuss the matter without further confusing the "other guy".

Really :) besides being the worst numbered list 1),2), 2), 3), 5), 6), AND with a reference to point 4), I have seen in a while :whistling: the problem is that the contents are either "vague" or "unrelated"/"unuseful", because you mix liberally very different booting methods (a .vhd or RAW image in a Virtual Machine is EXACTLY like a real hard disk, whilst a .vhd or RAW image on a "real" machine is VERY different and NEEDS grub4dos and either Winvblock or Firadisk - or a similar driver - to actually boot/be accessible).

Wonko

#1087 o.k.

o.k.

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thank you for the advices. The VirtualBox VHD format and the Microsoft VHD format is realy different. I can solve the boot drive problem if I create the empty VHD file in VirtualBox then map with Grub4Dos and install XP with WinVBlock driver in real mode. But with the so created image in VirtualBox I get  error 0xCE (intelppm.sys DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS). I tried to solve the problem by changing value in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm from 1 to 4. Now the native boot gives error: 0x4E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. I can boot in Safe Mode both in VirtualMachine and native.

Cheers, O.K.

#1088 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Dear WIMB,

Please, would You tell Me, why Yours excellent USBw7.exe from Yours latest IMG78 package does not work for ME?

I have installed Windows 7 X86 SP1 to The usb bootable harddisk by using NT6 fast installer package, The Steve modified one.

I can run Windows 7 smoothly from this USB bootable harddisk on The computer, on which i have installed The Windows 7.

But when i have tried to apply The patch to The Windows7 bootable partition, USBW7fix.exe is generrating following error message:

WARNING - Target Drive is Not Valid     Target Drive  is Not Valid

System32\DriverStore Not Found

I Am specifiing The boot drive by choosing The drive letter from The browser dialog box.

I am choosing The right letter and i press OK button.

I have tried to run even older variant of USBw7fix.exe, but i Am getting other error message, that it is not a USB boot drive, only removable or fixed USB can be used or similar message.

Do You know, why Yours tool is not working properly?

Or i must use other approach to install Windows 7 to The bootable USB drive?

Or The problem is caused by The partition label with Czech characters inside The label of The boot WIndows 7 partition?

Thank You very much for yours answer.

You have always adviced me excellently dear WIMb.

Or do i have to use winrestore rather because usbw7fix.exe is littlee experimental?

#1089 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for your report on USB_W7_Fix.exe

I have Updated USB_W7_Fix.exe to version 7.9 so that you can fix Win 7/8 Drive or VHD for booting from USB

and can Make Boot Manager Menu on Selected Target Boot Drive when you use it in Win 7/8 or 7 PE environment.

The new version is for Download available in:

VHD_W7C_79  - 3 MB - http://reboot.pro/fi...ct-make-mini-7/

Win_Restore_80 - 4 MB - http://reboot.pro/fi...-on-hdd-or-usb/

IMG_XP_79 - 27 MB - http://www.mediafire.../?233dka636369k - mirror http://www.datafilehost.com/d/a1f441cf

USB_W7_Fix - for booting Win7/8 from USB

#1090 JustJordy1911

JustJordy1911
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

================================================================================

*** IMG_XP package ***

Make XP and Win7 Universal Image files booting with Grub4dos Menu on HDD or USB

Download - IMG_XP - mirror http://www.datafilehost.com/d/a1f441cf

In Win7 OS Set User Account Control Off and Reboot

First Prepare XP Setup ISO file with integrated UpdatePack and DriverPacks as described below in section 2.
and Copy XP Setup ISO file to the root of internal harddisk drive of your computer.

1. VHD_XP_Create.exe - Make VHD file and Install XP in VHD by using Grub4dos Boot Menu on HDD

attachicon.gifVHD_XP_Setup.png

0. Run IMG_XP.exe and Extract to simple path on your Local Harddisk - gives folder IMG_XP
1. Use IMX_XPmakebtimdiskinst.exe to Install ImDisk driver (if not present)
- Imdisk is used by USB_XP_Fix.exe to mount VHD and HDD Image files in a virtual drive
2. Run VHD_XP_Create.exe to create XP-1.vhd and Grub4dos Boot Menu for Install of XP in VHD

- Boot Drive - FAT32 or NTFS - can be USB-stick so that there are no changes needed in the Windows installation on the internal harddisk
- System Drive - NTFS - where VHD file is created e.g your internal harddisk drive
- XP Setup ISO file - located on internal harddisk drive so that fast loading into RAM is enabled
3. Reboot and in Grub4dos menu select Start XP Setup on XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock driver

- XP-1.vhd has already NTFS compressed format, so you should NOT format at Setup, just keep settings
- Format XP-1.img inside XP Setup cannot be used, it results in corrupt message
4. After Reboot select Continue XP Setup and then Reboot to Start XP from Image XP-1.vhd
5. Reduce size and improve settings as usual and Install missing Drivers but NOT the specific large Video driver
- Reduce size to get rid of pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys via:
- right click My Computer > select Properties > Advanced > Change Virtual memory > select No pagefile and Set
- right click on Desktop > Screen Protection > Energy > Uncheck Sleep settings to get rid of hiberfil.sys
- Set System Restore and Windows Update Off and delete 350 MB of dllcache folder via cmd SFC /purgecache (or Run PURGE_DLLCACHE.BAT)
- In Device Manager Install missing Drivers but NOT the specific large Video driver
- For Universal XP don't Install the Video driver. You can Uninstall the Video driver so that you still have high resolution on any hardware.
- Set Screen Resolution to 1024 x 768 useful on all monitors (right click on Desktop)
7. Connect USB-HDD where you want to use XP Image, so that USB-HDD settings are known in XP registry, and Reboot
8. Reboot with other OS and copy XP-1.vhd to bootable USB-drive and create entry in Grub4dos menu.lst
- BOOT_USB.exe can be used to make USB-drive bootable with Grub4dos Menu - http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24424
- BOOT_IMG.exe can be used to make Grub4dos Boot Menu on existing bootable drives
9. Run USB_XP_Fix.exe and Select your XP-1.vhd file on USB-drive and click GO
10. Reboot from USB on the same computer and Select Boot XP Image - XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock FILEDISK
11. Reboot from USB on other computers and Select Boot XP Image - XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock FILEDISK - to make Universal

When booting on other unknown machine, then XP will auto adjust itself in about 3 min and install the required drivers.
In this learning process, the registry gets extra info on how to boot on that machine and will use it next time and so XP becomes Universal.
This process requires that you have the WINDOWS\DriverPacks folder of 135 MB available with Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN drivers
and that DevicePath in the registry was properly set by the Keep The Drivers Option KTD (see below and in Picture).

Thanks to Sha0 for making WinVBlock driver - http://reboot.pro/8168/
Thanks to cdob for making usb_xp_init.cmd - http://www.911cd.net...o...22473&st=37
Thanks to sara - pmedia for her tutorial - http://reboot.pro/13731/

More Info on direct Install of XP by using grub4dos menu and WinVBlock or FiraDisk driver:
cdob - Install XP from a ISO file No RAM disk - http://www.msfn.org/...rom-a-iso-file/
Doodoo - http://reboot.pro/13...385#entry122385
sara - pnedia - http://reboot.pro/13731/
wimb - http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553
karyonix - http://reboot.pro/88...737#entry121737
karyonix - http://reboot.pro/13967/

In case of a hidden boot partition containing Boot folder and file bootmgr of Windows 7,

then Grub4dos Boot menu for Install of XP in VHD can be made  by using USB-Stick as Target Boot Drive.

Grub4dos Menu for Install of XP in VHD by using XP Setup ISO file and WinVBlock driver

After Install of XP then you need to fix XP-1.vhd for booting from USB-drive by using USB_XP_Fix.exe
The fix will prevent BSOD 7B and will help to allow the XP VHD to boot on various hardware and so become Universal.

efb6ab99f77d04f8dc83bc2ed4588711b8886ea2

menu.lst on USB drive

title XP-2.vhd - WinVBlock FILEDISK - 2000 MB
# Sector-mapped disk
map /XP-2.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

title XP-2.vhd - WinVBlock RAMDISK - 2000 MB
# Sector-mapped disk
map --mem /XP-2.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

cheers.gif

================================================================================

Wait4UFD driver Enables Direct Install of XP in VHD on USB
Advantage of Direct Install of XP is that one does not need to make changes in the booting of the local harddisk,
where changes might be unwanted or difficult as in the case of a hidden Boot Manager partition e.g. Windows 7

First XP Setup ISO file was prepared as described in Section 2 here
DPsBase.exe was used to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN
(settings Disc - Method 2 - GuiRunOnce - Enable KTD for the DriverPacks I will Select C+P+M+L)

1. IntegrateDrv was used to integrate Wait4UFD driver in the XP Setup Source directory containing folder i386
2. ImgBurn was used to make new XP Setup ISO file, that was copied to NTFS formatted active partition of USB-harddisk
3. VHD_XP_Create.exe was used to make 2 GB NTFS VHD on USB and to make Grub4dos Menu for WinVBlock driver
4. Boot with Grub4dos Menu from USB and Install XP in VHD using Start TXT-mode / Continue GUI-mode / Boot Windows XP VHD
5. After Install of XP then Run USB_XP_Fix.exe and Select your XP-1.vhd file on USB-drive and click GO
to make XP Universal for booting from USB connected to any computer.

2. How to prepare XP Setup Source ? - Prepare XP Setup ISO file with integrated UpdatePack and DriverPacks

Take care that your XPSOURCE Folder is located on your Harddisk in a simple Path without SPACES.
Copy the Content of your Windows XP Setup CD to your XPSOURCE Folder on Harddisk 

First Integrate ServicePack SP3 in your XP-SP2 Source (don't use here nLite).

In Command Window use for English version and XPSOURCE folder on drive E:
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe /integrate:E:\XPSOURCE
Siginet's RyanVM Integrator 1.6 can then be used to Integrate Windows UpdatePacks in the XP-Source. 
Download preferred version RVM Integrator 1.6.1 Beta 2.1

Windows XP UpdatePacks and Addons:

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe 
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the 
XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.
Use DPsBase.exe to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks
which will then be located in OEM Folder in your XPSOURCE folder.
(settings Disc - Method 2 - GuiRunOnce - Enable KTD for the DriverPacks I will Select)

Always first use RyanVM Integrator and then use DPsBase to Improve your XP-Source
DPsBase makes presetup.cmd in folder I386 and changes the I386\winnt.sif file for use of DriverPacks

presetup.cmd in folder I386 will start decompression of DriverPacks located in OEM folder 
at the beginning of GUI-mode of XP Setup, which does NOT take to much time for the 5 DriverPacks

You should select to Keep The Drivers for Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN
Then WINDOWS\DriverPacks is about 135 MB which is acceptable and provides a lot of extra driver support 
which is useful to make XP Universal and adapt easily to very different hardware.
In that case the DevicePath is set accordingly in key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion 
so that XP can automatically make use of these drivers for adjusting to New Hardware

When you don't use nLite, you can copy the supplied $OEM$ folder to your XP Source folder
Change $OEM$ folder to your needs for UserAccounts and Registry Tweaks and Adding Drivers
CMDLINES.TXT is used for making UserAccounts and install of Registry Tweaks at T-12

Use DriverForge.v4.5.4.exe to Install from C:\Drivers at T-9 of GUI XP Setup (just for the last Reboot).
DriverForge.v4.5.4.exe was made by kickarse http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=110783
At end of TXT-mode XP Setup the folder $OEM$\$1\Drivers is copied to C:\Drivers
and $OEM$\$1\Install\DriverForge.v4.5.4.exe is copied to C:\Install
For Auto Use of DriverForge at T-9 add uncompressed driver folders in $OEM$\$1\Drivers
and Uncomment two rules by removing ; in winnt.sif file copied from winnt_sif to your I386 folder
This is very useful for Install of your well known Audio and Video driver during GUI-mode of XP Setup.

Smart Driver Backup 2.12 of Jaque is very useful to Backup your drivers before install of XP

How to make XP Setup ISO File ?

- Use BBIE (see below) or Isobuster to Extract Boot Image bootsect.bin from Original bootable XP Setup CD 
  bbie will make image1.bin that you can copy as bootsect.bin to XP Setup source folder
- Reduce Size of XP Setup Source folder (if needed to fit on CD then remove folders LANG  WIN9XMIG  WIN9XUPG)
- Use ImgBurn and bootsect.bin to make Bootable CD

1. Remove 3 folders LANG  WIN9XMIG  WIN9XUPG - reduction in size = 135 MB
2. Run ImgBurn - Portable Tool in PStart Menu - IMG_XP\MULTI\PStart\Progs\ImgBurn
   - Select Write files/folders to disc
   - Output - Select Image File
   - Browse Source folder and Select your XP Setup Source folder
   - Browse Destination file - Give Name e.g. XP-Setup.iso
   - Labels ISO 9660 - Give Name e.g. XP-Setup
   - Advanced Restrictions - ISO9660 - Select Level X and DOS CharSet with 4x Checkbox On (allow ...)
   - Bootable Disc - Make Image bootable - Checkbox On - Browse Boot Image - Select bootsect.bin file
   - Bootable Disc - Emulation Type = None
                     Load Segment = 07C0
                     Sectors to Load = 4

BOOT_USB\makebt>bbie M:\XP3_1201.iso
BBIE - Bart's Boot Image Extractor v1.0, © 2001, Bart Lagerweij
will make BOOT_USB\makebt\image1.bin that you can rename as bootsect.bin

POST_FIX Tools for XP - Readme

You can use DriverForge.v4.5.4.exe to Install any missing driver (e.g. video audio or WLAN)
by selecting Path to Uncompressed Driver Files e.g. S:\D

In that case DevicePath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
is set to what DriverForge needs. 
It means that any previous settings are lost e.g. for making use of the KTP C:\WINDOWS\DriverPacks store.

If you have selected in DPsBase.exe to Keep The Drivers by using KTP Option,
then after using DriverForge you need to run DevicePath_Reset_KTP.reg to Reset DevicePath to the KTD settings. 

If you have Installed XP on AMD machine and then boot XP Image file on Intel machine,
then intelppm Service will have Start=1 value, which will give BSOD 7 E when booting on AMD machine.
This problem can be overcome by running the intelppm_Start3.reg registry tweak.
In that case intelppm Service will get Start=3 and everything will be OK for AMD and Intel.

Post Install Add DriverPacks to XP:
1. Boot with Universal XP Image file
2. Extract 3 DriverPacks to C:\ e.g. Chipset + CPU + MassStorage - will give C:\D folder
3. Use R-mouse to Open command prompt at C:\POST_FIX and run command
DevPath.exe %SystemDrive%\D
DevicePath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
is set to subfolders of C:\D

Portable Windows HD Image files booting from USB 

The Apps VHD_XP_Compact.exe and VHD_W7_Compact.exe of IMG_XP package
can be used to make Portable Windows VHD Image files booting with Grub4dos Menu on HDD or USB

These Virtual Harddisk VHD files require WinVBlock or FiraDisk driver to boot them as FILEDISK or as RAMDISK
The Ultimate Windows 7 VHD files make use of Microsoft VHD HBA driver which allows to boot them as FILEDISK

Target Boot Drive can be FAT32 or NTFS USB-drive used only for Boot files so that booting of internal harrddisk is NOT changed.
Target System Drive must be NTFS and is the drive where the VHD file is created and this can be your internal harddisk drive.

Booting from USB on computers with UEFI-firmware requires that the Boot Drive has FAT32 format.

Possible Scenario's 
- Boot with Grub4dos Menu on NTFS or FAT32 USB-Stick with VHD located on NTFS Drive of Internal Harddisk
- Boot with Portable USB-harddisk and launch VHD located on NTFS System Drive of USB-Harddisk

Booting VHD files from Grub4dos Menu as FILEDISK or as RAMDISK requires to Install in Source VHD either FiraDisk Or WinVBlock driver.
Additinally Installed Programs and Drivers and Settings are remembered in FILEDISK just like in normal Windows OS.
Loading the VHD into RAMDISK is much faster when the VHD file is located on the internal NTFS harddisk drive.

Source can be drive where Windows is installed or full XP VHD file Or Windows 7 VHD file
In case of using existing Installed XP as source, it is handy to first create a NEW user in XP,
so that this NEW user folder is small in size e.g. only contains very few Documents and Pictures.

Also Install either WinVBlock or FiraDisk driver:
- Install WinVBlock driver see - IMG_XP\Help_Info\WinVBlock_Install.txt
- Install FiraDisk driver with R-mouse on firadisk.inf in IMG_XP\makebt\firadisk-driver- folder

Reduce size and connect USB-harddisk as described in point 5 and 6 given above
to get rid of pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys and to get USB-HDD settings are known in XP registry

After booting with other OS e.g. Portable 7 PE, then you can run VHD_XP_Compact.exe and Select the NEW user
to make XP Image file that can boot from grub4dos menu on HDD or USB

Mini XP = OS Size 200 MB - including WLAN + Audio + Printer + 7-Zip + ImDisk and all installed drivers
Portable XP = OS Size 600 MB - extra system32 complete + Windows Media Player - Multimedia support

In case of Mini XP then external VLC portable player can be used for MultiMedia support

Advised size of XP Image file is 1.2 GB and for Windows 7 VHD file is 2.0 GB.

Grub4dos Menu for Win7-1.vhd and using FiraDisk driver

More Info see http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

3. Boot Win7 VHD Image file from USB

4. Universal Image Compact and Restore - Details

5. Solutions to prevent BSOD 7B - Run USB_XP_Fix.exe

6. Universal XP - Support in boot.ini menu for Multiple Hal and Kernel

Win_Restore.exe can be used to Restore XP or Win7 from VHD to HDD-partition.

For Restore of Win7 from VHD you need to run Win_Restore.exe in Win 7/8/7PE OS 

so that bcdboot.exe can be used to generate Boot Manager Menu required to boot Win 7 from HDD-partition.

- BOOT_IMG  makes GRUB4DOS Menu on Target Boot Drive for selected VHD File on NTFS Target System Drive (copy occurs if needed).

In general ImDisk must be installed in XP or Win 7/8 by using previously the provided imdiskinst.exe file.
ImDisk is used to mount VHD Image file in a virtual drive.
To Install ImDisk driver on Vista and Windows 7/8 you need to turn off UAC, User Account Control
http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html

The 64-bit FiraDisk driver requires in x64 Win7 to set  testsigning switched on.

Open Command Prompt as Administrator:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

Reboot to activate this. Info here http://msdn.microsof...y/dd419910.aspx

Thanks to karyonix, more Info see:
FiraDisk - http://reboot.pro/in...?showtopic=8804

Install FiraDisk driver in XP with R-mouse on firadisk.inf in IMG_XP\makebt\firadisk-driver- folder

Development and historical thread here:
Thanks to joakim for starting the subject
http://reboot.pro/in...?showtopic=9227

Wim, prachtige uitleg; maar het lijkt mij iets te ingewikkeld.

Zou je de nederlanders blij willen maken met de simpelste methode om XP op usb te draaien?

Ik doe dit omdat ik een prachtlaptop heb gekregen omdat de HDD kapot is....... Maar ik ben niet onwijs slim met pc's.

:loleverybody:

#1091 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

@JustJordy1911
In the future, please don't quote complete posts without any good reason.

#1092 JustJordy1911

JustJordy1911
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

@JustJordy1911
In the future, please don't quote complete posts without any good reason.

Sorry, I'm new to this, and now i see my complete post; it's damn big indeed! Sorry!

#1093 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

@JustJordy1911

Using the programs is much easier then you would think when reading the description.

You should focus on first preparing XP Setup ISO file having Integrated DriverPacks as described in Section 2.

Use DPsBase.exe to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks
which will then be located in OEM Folder in your XPSOURCE folder.
(settings Disc - Method 2 - GuiRunOnce - Enable KTD for the DriverPacks I will Select)

Easy to follow is:

Install XP in VHD using XP Setup ISO file and WinVBlock driver

Section 2. How to prepare XP Setup Source ? - Prepare XP Setup ISO file with integrated UpdatePack and DriverPacks

#1094 Raees Iqbal

Raees Iqbal
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Windows XP Pro 64bit on VHD, Multiboot Win 8.1, Win 7 VHD, Win XP VHD, & Ubuntu 13.10 VHD.
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

so I've put a reg file (the ones from folder registry_key in IMG_XP) in %WINDIR% and then gpedit.msc to make regedit executing this registry at every shutdown-restart.

I have the exactly same issue, and I dont know where did I miss but could you please give me same reg file??? I would like to try.

#1095 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Mister Wimb, by any chance, can you remove "only C: drive" feature from your img_xp_update.exe??? where windows must be at C: drive???

Anyone installing things manually from WinNTSetupX.exe and changing mount installation drive renders his/her installation useless if your app doesn't allow updating it :P

#1096 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Mister Wimb, by any chance, can you remove "only C: drive" feature from your img_xp_update.exe??? where windows must be at C: drive???

Please try version IMG_XP_Update_W.exe and report about it.

EDIT: Updated on July, 15 - so Download IMG_XP_85.exe

Download  - IMG_XP_85 - mirror

#1097 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thank you :P you're the man!

I will test it today and edit this post with results.

edit:
Didn't work. App just crashed (no message or dilog or anything)

#1098 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

assuming that you haven't read my edit,.. it didn't work.

#1099 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Didn't work. App just crashed (no message or dilog or anything)

Strange since App is running fine here and shows the normal GUI dialog where you can select VHD Image file.

You can use it just as the original IMG_XP_Update.exe

It seems to me that the download is not OK

Try again using different download environment.

#1100 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I have Updated IMG_XP_85.exe package with new version of IMG_XP_Update.exe

Download  - IMG_XP_85 - mirror