Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

UEFI MULTI - Make Multi-Boot USB-Drive

aio boot linux vhdx windows 10 wim ssd uefi usb multiboot

Best Answer wimb , 11 May 2020 - 12:18 PM

Update USB_FORMAT-51 and UEFI_MULTI-51

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   USB_FORMAT-51 and UEFI_MULTI-51  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-41 and Win_Reduce_Trusted-40

Download File E = Encrypted Password = bootwimb

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf  and  Win10_Install.pdf  to make Mini 7/8/10 x64 in VHD with UsedSize about 2 GB

At MSFN there is topic USB Format Tool and UEFI_MULTI

All my projects are now available for Download as Releases at wimb GitHub

Download:  USB_FORMAT  and   UEFI_MULTI  and  VHD_WIMBOOT  and WOF_Compress and  System_Info  and  MBR_Backup

More Info:  VHD_WIMBOOT Mini 7/8/10 x64  and   Grub4dos for UEFI  and USB_FORMAT Tool and UEFI_MULTI

:cheers:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#51 Franz Ferdinand II.

Franz Ferdinand II.

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Macedonia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

Thanks Wonko, may I get some help about primary partitions size distribution where I have reserved starting 64GB for them all.

What I expect to boot from the drive is Win 8.1 installation media,optionally Win 7 installation media and about 20 bootable ISOs.

I'm not too clear where the Win 8 installation comes. Does UEFI_MULTI handle BCD entry for it's environment or do I have to add it self using EasyBCD?

#52 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

Wonko ?

The FAT32 Set Active Boot partition should have size smaller than 32 GB e.g. 20 GB so that you can use FAT32 Format.

The BCD entries for WIM and VHD and ISO Boot  Image files are made by UEFI_MULTI.exe

The Win XP/7/8 Setup ISO files used as Installation media should be copied to the DATA partition.

These Setup ISO files have no BCD entry in USB FAT32 Boot Drive.

After booting from USB you can use portable App WinNTSetup3 to mount the Setup ISO in ImDisk Virtual Drive.

WinNTSetup3 will prepare local harddisk for Install of XP/7/8

http://www.msfn.org/...v33-v34-beta-1/

#53 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

================================================================================

*** UEFI MULTI - Make Multi-Boot USB-Drive ***

Booting with Boot Manager Menu and using Boot Image files - VHD IMG ISO and WIM

================================================================================

UEFI_MULTI.exe is program to make Multi-Boot USB-Drive to boot computers having BIOS or UEFI firmware

Run UEFI_MULTI and Extract to simple path
Boot with Win 7/8 x64 OS and Set User Account Control Off and Reboot

UEFI_MULTI - Make Multi-Boot USB-Drive

=

Section 1. - Prepare FAT32 USB-Stick Or USB-Harddisk for Booting with Boot Manager Menu

UFD_FORMAT.exe - Tool to format USB-stick for Booting with Boot Manager Menu on BIOS or UEFI computer

Use UFD_FORMAT in 7/8 OS to format USB-Stick with FAT32 and for Booting with Boot Manager Menu
For fast booting into RAMDISK then USB 3.0 is advised e.g. use Kingston 100G3 32 GB

Or Prepare USB-Harddisk to have 3 Primary partitions

Preferred is to use Portable USB-harddisk e.g. Western Digital 500 GB Elements SE 2.5" Or Samsung Portable S2

Prepare USB-Harddisk to have MBR and 3 Primary partitions
- Boot   partition - Primary with FAT32 Format and Size e.g. 20 GB - Set Active   
- System partition - Primary with NTFS  Format and Size e.g. 50 GB                
- Data   partition - Primary with NTFS  Format and Size e.g. rest of USB-harddisk 

Use of the 3 partitions will be
- Boot   FAT32 - for Boot files and Win8.1SE x64 boot.wim file and with folder images for ISO and other small Boot Image files
- System NTFS  - for Win 7/8 VHD Image files and for Windows 8 x64 System and for Portable XP VHD running Life from USB 
- Data   NTFS  - for PStart folder with Portable Apps and for all Windows Setup ISO files used by WinNTSetup3 to Install Windows on local harddisk

After booting from USB you can use portable App WinNTSetup3 to mount the Setup ISO in ImDisk Virtual Drive.
WinNTSetup3 will prepare local harddisk for Install of XP/7/8 - http://www.msfn.org/...612-winntsetup-

Section 2. - Prepare Boot Image files - 8.1SE x64 WIM or 8.1 x64 VHD Or IMG Or ISO file

Download Win 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation ISO from http://technet.micro...r/hh699156.aspx
9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_ENTERPRISE_EVAL_EN-US-IRM_CENA_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

Run Win81SE82_Builder.exe to make Win8.1SE x64 boot.wim in ISO\WIM\sources
In UEFI_MULTI.exe you need also file boot.sdi from folder ISO\WIM\Boot

The XP/7/8 Mini Windows VHD's of 1.2 - 2.5 GB are loaded from USB into RAMDISK and can be made according to

Make_PE3 Program to Create Portable Windows 7 PE

IMG_XP package - Make XP and Win 7 Universal Image files

Section 3. - UEFI_MULTI.exe is used to make Multi-Boot USB-Drive

0. Connect USB-Drive and start computer with Windows 7/8 - x64 OS version
1. Run UEFI_MULTI.exe
2. Select USB Target Boot Drive - FAT32 needed for UEFI support
3. Select USB Target System Drive (for USB-Stick use same as Boot Drive)
4. Select Boot Image File - Win8.1SE x64 - Select boot.wim in ISO\WIM\sources
VHD is Copied always to NTFS System Drive - WIM and ISO are copied to FAT32 Boot Drive
5. Click GO to make Multi-Boot USB-Harddisk
6. You can use UEFI_MULTI.exe several times to Add more Boot Image files or to Add extra Source Folder content
Option to Select Source Folder UEFI_MULTI\MULTI_BOOT for Copy to Boot Drive

BOOT_IMG can make Grub4dos Menu on Boot Drive for VHD Image Files copied to Target System Drive.
Fix XP or Win 7/8 VHD for booting from USB-drive by using USB_XP_Fix.exe or USB_W78_Fix.exe

Section 4. - UEFI Secure Boot - Multi-Boot of Linux Fedora-18 + Windows 8 from USB-harddisk (option)

Download Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso from http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
Download and use liveusb-creator-3.11.7-setup.exe from https://fedorahosted...iveusb-creator/

First prepare Fedora 18 LIVE USB-stick with files vmlinuz0 and initrd0.img from isolinux copied to folder LiveOS
and using in grub.cfg the commands linuxefi and initrdefi and root=live:LABEL=LIVE

Then prepare Multi-Boot of Fedora-18 + Windows 8 from USB-harddisk as follows.

Add Grub2 EFI Boot Manager for UEFI booting of Linux Fedora-18 or Parted Magic

In UEFI_MULTI.exe use Add Grub2 EFI Boot Manager for UEFI booting of Linux Fedora-18 or Parted Magic
Existing file /efi/boot/bootx64.efi of Windows 8 is renamed as 8bootx64.efi to enable Multi-Boot of Win8 and Linux.
Folder efi with Fedora-18 Secure Boot files is copied from UEFI_MAN to USB Boot Drive.

Fedora-18 Secure Boot files efi\boot\BOOTX64.efi and efi\boot\grubx64.efi are used 
and we use Fedora vmlinuz0 and initrd0.img in LiveOS folder of Fedora-18 copied to USB Boot Drive.
The name of the USB Boot Drive with LiveOS folder must be specified and is in my case 2_BOOT

efi\boot\grub.cfg

set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry 'Fedora-18 LIVE USB 2_BOOT' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
linuxefi /LiveOS/vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=2_BOOT ro rd.live.image rhgb 
initrdefi /LiveOS/initrd0.img
}

menuentry "Parted Magic 64" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
  linuxefi /pmagic/bzImage64
  initrdefi /pmagic/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Windows 8 x64 EFI" {
  chainloader /efi/boot/8bootx64.efi
}

Windows 8 should NOT be default.
For booting Parted Magic Linux it is needed to copy pmagic folder to USB Boot Drive and in UEFI to Disable Secure Boot

Booting in BIOS mode with Fedora LiveOS folder on USB partition with LABEL 2_BOOT 
then we can use Grub4dos with entry in menu.lst

menu.lst

title Fedora-18 LIVE USB 2_BOOT
find --set-root /LiveOS/vmlinuz0
kernel /LiveOS/vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=2_BOOT ro rd.live.image quiet rhgb 
initrd /LiveOS/initrd0.img
rhgb = redhat graphical boot - This is a GUI mode booting screen with most of the information hidden 
quiet = hides the majority of boot messages before rhgb starts. These are supposed to make the common user more comfortable. 

#54 Franz Ferdinand II.

Franz Ferdinand II.

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Macedonia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

So that I have to use BOOT (the FAT32) partition smaller than 32GB? That may be reason it didnot offer me g4d boot menu at all.

My initial layout Boot/System/Data was 40 / 16 / 8. Even when I had selected USB storage with higher prio than internal HD it jumped directly to external Windows Bootmgr-based menu and offered me only systems which I've added as .WIM image (all ISOs registered via menu.lst, however grub4dos seems never been invoked). If I choosen UEFI USB Device from Windows 8.1 boot menu, it just restarts.

Only external system that is bootable is Paragon Backup Capsule selected from main BCD :(

BTW. Mark partition as active/inactive option is not available for partitions on GPT drive. Is that problem?

Edited by Franz Ferdinand II., 24 April 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#55 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Grub4dos Menu can only be used on UEFI computer when you boot in BIOS mode

If you have UEFI firmware then for booting Grub4dos from USB you need to modify BIOS settings.

In BIOS select  "BIOS compatible" Or "Legacy" Or boot "Win7 / Other" Setiing (different names occur)

GPT cannot be used on BIOS computers and probably also NOT on UEFI computers in BIOS mode.

If you want Multi-Boot USB with support for Grub4dos then you need to use MBR and NOT GPT

Win8.1 SE boot.wim can boot directly from Boot Manager Menu without changing BIOS Settings.

That is the best option to support booting from USB on BIOS and UEFI computers

#56 Franz Ferdinand II.

Franz Ferdinand II.

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Macedonia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Grub4dos Menu can only be used on UEFI computer when you boot in BIOS mode

If you have UEFI firmware then for booting Grub4dos from USB you need to modify BIOS settings.

So in simple, there's not yet a way to create multiboot partition on GPT drive, right?

If that conclusion is true, is that possible create more smaller partitions on GPT drive, one bootable WinPE-based environment per partition, and modify main BCD accordingly?

How should added BCD entry look like? (ie. how to identify particular partitions correctly)

#57 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

So in simple, there's not yet a way to create multiboot partition on GPT drive, right?

No, BUT making a hybrid MBR/GPT is still possible (with a number of limitations):

http://www.rodsbooks...isk/hybrid.html

:duff:

Wonko

#58 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

You can have several WinPE boot.wim files (having different names) on the same FAT32 Boot partition.

boot.wim is a container so there is no need at all to create more smaller partitions.

You can have Win 8.1 x64 recovery boot.wim named as w8x64rec.wim next to Win8.1SE boot.wim renamed as w81x64.wim

The BCD entries for these boot.wim files can be made easily with UEFI_MULTI.exe

In command window of Win8 then run bcdedit to view the created entries e.g.

bcdedit /store M:\efi\microsoft\boot\BCD /enum all

will give the entries e.g.

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {391b890e-c531-11e3-824c-00501848e329}
device                  ramdisk=[boot]\w81x64.wim,{38cf3db6-c531-11e3-824c-00501848e329}
description             w81x64-WIM
loadoptions             DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
nointegritychecks       Yes
testsigning             Yes
osdevice                ramdisk=[boot]\w81x64.wim,{38cf3db6-c531-11e3-824c-00501848e329}
systemroot              \Windows
bootmenupolicy          Legacy
detecthal               Yes
winpe                   Yes

Device options
--------------
identifier              {38cf3db6-c531-11e3-824c-00501848e329}
ramdisksdidevice        boot
ramdisksdipath          \Boot\boot.sdi

#59 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

-
*** Update UEFI_MULTI Version 8.5  ***

Update grub4dos-0.4.5c-2013-07-24.7z
Update UFD_Format.exe - improvement for usage of format.com in x64 environment
Added GetWaikTools - Thanks to JFX http://www.msfn.org/...-the-huge-isos/
Added Tweaks for Windows XP/7/8 as used in WinNTSetup3 - Thanks to JFX

Improvement in all Help files - Procedures based on using Win8.1SE x64 boot.wim as Boot Image File
Thanks to ChrisR for making Win8.1SE - http://www.msfn.org/...170546-win81se/
Download Win 8.1 x64 Enterprise Evaluation ISO from http://technet.micro...r/hh699156.aspx

Download  - UEFI_MULTI_85 - mirror
Run UEFI_MULTI_85.exe and Extract to simple path

This is a major (and may be final) Update to version 8.5 for all programs derived from IMG_XP project.

Download  - IMG_XP_85 - mirror

Install 7/8 in VHD and Make Mini 7/8 VHD for booting from USB

Install XP in VHD and Make Mini XP VHD for booting from USB

VHD filename e.g. W864USP1.vhd contains Architecture 64/32 + Distribution Language + Version P/M/C + Number 1-9

For UEFI + BIOS booting from USB then Windows 8.1 x64 need to be used as Source.
There are now three Universal solutions for booting from USB on UEFI + BIOS computers:
- Win8.1SE x64 boot.wim of size 400 MB booting from RAMDISK in 35 sec when using USB 3.0 USB-Stick FAT32
- Portable W864USP1.vhd of size 3.5 GB booting as FILEDISK from portable USB-harddisk NTFS SYSTEM partition
- Full Windows 8.1 Pro installed in 15 GB VHD or any Windows 8.1 on USB NTFS SYSTEM partition of size 50 GB

After booting in 35 sec from USB 3.0 with x64 boot.wim then 
you can use portable App WinNTSetup_x64.exe to mount XP/7/8 Setup ISO in ImDisk Virtual Drive.
WinNTSetup3 of JFX will prepare local harddisk for Install of XP/7/8 - http://www.msfn.org/...612-winntsetup-
Loading boot.wim into RAMDISK can take more time when USB boot speed is low e.g. 15 min for old BIOS
Portable W864USP1.vhd of size 3.5 GB is then much faster and boots in 2 min 30 sec on computer wth old BIOS 

PXE wimboot of Win8.1SE x64 boot.wim and using portable Tiny PXE Server is very handy for booting in 1 min from Network 
since it can be used portable from USB without requiring extra drivers or software on the host computer.
Thanks to erwan.l for making Tiny PXE Server :) http://reboot.pro/fi...iny-pxe-server/

wimboot.ipxe

#!ipxe
set boot-url http://${dhcp-server}
kernel ${boot-url}/wimboot
initrd ${boot-url}/bootmgr.exe                  bootmgr.exe
initrd ${boot-url}/Boot/bcd                     bcd
initrd ${boot-url}/Boot/fonts/segmono_boot.ttf  segmono_boot.ttf
initrd ${boot-url}/Boot/fonts/segoe_slboot.ttf  segoe_slboot.ttf
initrd ${boot-url}/Boot/fonts/segoen_slboot.ttf segoen_slboot.ttf
initrd ${boot-url}/Boot/fonts/wgl4_boot.ttf     wgl4_boot.ttf
initrd ${boot-url}/Boot/boot.sdi                boot.sdi
initrd ${boot-url}/sources/boot.wim             boot.wim
imgstat
boot

• alacran and trailer0187 like this

#60 dbzrulz

dbzrulz
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:11 AM

Hi @wimb

I must conratulate you and the team reoot.pro on the awsome tools. However today when I tried to download the UEFI_Multi.exe file the download was interrupted with an error message:

Gateway Anti-Virus Alert

This request is blocked by the Firewall Gateway Anti-Virus

Service. Name: Ruskill.QCE (Trojan)

Is there any other source available from where I can dowload this file??

Cheers

#61 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

It is a false positive warning of your AV Software.

I have the same here for AVAST AV Software.

I recompiled some programs of UEFI_MULTI and now the warning is gone :)

I have Uploaded this new version of UEFI_MULTI_85.exe (and my other programs as well ....)

Download UEFI_MULTI_85.exe - http://reboot.pro/fi...boot-usb-drive/

#62 MaxPresi

MaxPresi
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

I have some questions...
I've been looking for a solution that me free from CDs, in which I can do everything with my external HD.
My only problem was with UEFI, since no Multi_boot boot in UEFI.

I wonder if I can and how to put the recovery of more than one type of Windows 8 (Windows 8 SL, 8.1 SL and 8.1 Pro for example) in UEFI mode and if I can put in BIOS Mode the Hiren's Boot, Windows 7 and XP.

At the BIOS mode, I can use it to boot another MULTI_BOOT?

Sorry for so many dumb questions and the bad english.

Edited by MaxPresi, 25 August 2014 - 10:04 PM.

• wimb likes this

#63 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

@MaxPresi

Follow the description on How to use UEFI_MULTI.exe

http://reboot.pro/to...ve/#entry168079

#64 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

How to make Multi-Boot USB Flash Drive booting with boot.wim of Win8.1SE x64

UEFI_MULTI_85.png ==> W81SE_AOMEI.png
-
-
-
-
-

How to add AOMEI Backupper and AOMEI Partition Assistant in making Win8.1 SE x64 boot.wim Boot Image file

#65 Erez Sch

Erez Sch
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

i'm try to combine a uefi multiboot usb of windows 7 and windows 8.1 at the same usb disk, but everytime i choose the iso file, i get an error message that says incompatible format of iso, too large for fat32.

how can i solve this limination and combined both operating systems with this tool or another tool?

i'm using winsetupfromusb that is very easy to use and created a ntfs partitions for all my iso's, and i'ts working great, but not on uefi systems.

what to do?

thanks

#66 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

Prepare USB-Harddisk to have MBR and 3 Primary partitions
- Boot   partition - Primary with FAT32 Format and Size e.g. 20 GB - Set Active   
- System partition - Primary with NTFS  Format and Size e.g. 50 GB                
- Data   partition - Primary with NTFS  Format and Size e.g. rest of USB-harddisk 

Use of the 3 partitions will be
- Boot   FAT32 - for Boot files and Win8.1SE x64 boot.wim file and with folder images for ISO and other small Boot Image files
- System NTFS  - for Win 7/8 VHD Image files and for Windows 8 x64 System and for Portable XP VHD running Life from USB 
- Data   NTFS  - for PStart folder with Portable Apps and for all Windows Setup ISO files used by WinNTSetup3 to Install Windows on local harddisk

WinNTSetup3 will prepare local harddisk for Install of XP/7/8 - http://www.msfn.org/...inntsetup-v370/

http://reboot.pro/to...boot-usb-drive/

Instead of FAT32 USB-Stick you should use Portable USB-Harddisk with 3 partitions according to description.

#67 Master.ZizO

Master.ZizO
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:08 AM

Error linux not found... In Grub2
I was wondering where to put grub2 modules?
I put it in boot/grub/i386-PC
But same issue
Any help?

#68 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:59 AM

Error linux not found... In Grub2
I was wondering where to put grub2 modules?
I put it in boot/grub/i386-PC
But same issue
Any help?

Some more info is given here http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=25269 for the case of Fedora-18

The name of the USB Boot Drive with LiveOS folder must be specified and is in my case 2_BOOT

See Section 4 and may be you can first try Fedora 18

#69 Echtzeit

Echtzeit
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:12 AM

Hi,

I followed your instructions to the letter and created the USB stick together with a "8.1SE x64 WIM". On a normal BIOS everything works fine, but when I try to boot on secure UEFI I get the following message:

"Failed to verify image with *ACCESS DENIED*"

What did I do wrong?

#70 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

Hi,

I followed your instructions to the letter and created the USB stick together with a "8.1SE x64 WIM". On a normal BIOS everything works fine, but when I try to boot on secure UEFI I get the following message:

"Failed to verify image with *ACCESS DENIED*"

What did I do wrong?

In my case UEFI Secure booting of 8.1SE x64 WIM from USB-stick is doing fine.

Did you use Win 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation ISO to prepare 8.1SE x64 WIM and what is the precise version nr e.g. 9600.17050 or 9600.16384 or .... ?

What you can try is to disable Secure Boot in the UEFI BIOS Settings (Boot access via press Delete or F2 or Esc or F12)

Also you might try to use F8 key to select 8.1SE x64 WIM and so use Advanced Boot Options, where you select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

Try the above and report about it.

#71 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hello,

I would like to share my findings about UEFI boot with Secure Boot enabled.

References:
AltLinux:
http://en.altlinux.org/Rescue

http://en.altlinux.o...Boot_mini-HOWTO
http://nightly.altli...test-x86_64.iso

ELILO : EFI boot loader
http://sourceforge.n...ts/elilo/files/

The rEFInd Boot Manager
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux
http://www.rodsbooks...fi-bootloaders/

Assumption: some knowledge on UEFI boot.

I followed wimb's UEFI_MULTI method with success, however I had problem with Secure Boot enabled.
In wimb's method Parted Magic has to be run with Secure Boot disabled.
Also latest refind.efi=bootx64.efi is denied when Secure boot is enabled. So am I stuck with only
/efi/boot/bootx64.efi = /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi, this means I can only boot Windows 8.x 64-bit
when Secure Boot is enabled, requiring copy from /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi to /EFI/bootx64.efi.

Now I find a way to boot, in addition to Windows 8.x 64-bit, other non-signed or signed Linux kernels
like Parted Magic, Ubuntu 14.04..., without changing anything.
The method is taken from AltLinux.
You have to adapt the configuration files (refind.conf, elilo.conf).
It works because *.efi files have been signed by AltLinux, and thanks the trick of using ELILO to chainload
unsigned Linux kernels.

Inside /EFI/boot/ directory I have:

icons\ => from refind included with Alt Linux
refind.conf => see below
elilo.conf => see below
textmenu-message.msg => from ELILO
grubx64.efi => from AltLinux (= signed refind.efi)
elilo.efi => from AltLinux
bootx64.efi => from AltLinux
MokManager.efi => from AltLinux
general.msg => from ELILO
params.msg => from ELILO

refind.conf content:

timeout 20
scanfor manual
scan_driver_dirs /EFI/refind/drivers_x64
banner /EFI/refind/icons/bg.png

menuentry "Windows 8 x64 (PE/VHD) EFI" {
  icon /EFI/boot/icons/os_win.png
  loader /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi
  #disabled
}

# ELILO used as Secure Boot trampoline for unsigned kernels
menuentry "Ubuntu, PartedMagic..." {
  icon /EFI/boot/icons/os_linux.png
  loader /EFI/BOOT/elilo.efi
}

menuentry "others" {
  # others: Mokmanager, UEFI shell etc...
  icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_unknown.png
  loader /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi
}

elilo.conf content:

prompt
# wait 20 seconds before booting default
timeout=200
default=Ubuntu
chooser=textmenu
message=textmenu-message.msg

###

image="/EFI/ubuntu/vmlinuz-3.13.0-43-generic"
   label="Ubuntu"
   description="Ubuntu 14.04"
   initrd=/EFI/ubuntu/initrd.img-3.13.0-43-generic
   read-only
   # note: you need to change UUID to the UUID of your Linux partition
   append="root=UUID=b08a3f56-9df0-4a91-b7a5-27b854f2b5d8 ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff"

###
image="/pmagic/bzImage64"  
   label="PartedMagic"
   description="Parted Magic (2014-11-19)"
   initrd=/pmagic/initrd64.img
   read-only
   append="edd=off load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw vga=normal loglevel=9 max_loop=256 vmalloc=288MiB directory=/ keymap=fr"

To summarize, using this method, my multiboot USB hard disk has following structure:

- grub4dos in MBR
- 1 FAT32 primary partition with Easy2boot
- 1 NTFS primary partition for data, WIM and big (> 4 GB) ISO, VHD
- 1 Linux ext4 logical partition for Ubuntu 14.04
- 1 Linux swap logical partition for Linux swap

So Easy2boot still has 4th primary partition to work.
Important: the NTFS partition needs to be primary and not logical, because if logical, the VHD files will not be found in UEFI mode (no BCD entry displayed for them, while in BIOS mode there is n

• Zoso and devdevadev like this

#72 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

hi ktp, good to see your still around! that is ALOT of useful info. it looks like exactly what is needed too for if/when I ever get UEFI system. actually, I wouldnt have even considered one until now since reading your post here!

thanks

#73 Nexon_2014

Nexon_2014
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hi to all I want to run slax in uefi mode/secured boot is this uefi multi applicable? Can some share the link or procedure?

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk

#74 bruss

bruss
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

It is a false positive warning of your AV Software.

I have the same here for AVAST AV Software.

I recompiled some programs of UEFI_MULTI and now the warning is gone :)

I have Uploaded this new version of UEFI_MULTI_85.exe (and my other programs as well ....)

Download UEFI_MULTI_85.exe - http://reboot.pro/fi...boot-usb-drive/

Hi !

I got the same again . Avast keeps modifiing the new downloaded file ,reporting something-like Malwaregen-32 .(?)

bye

#75 Flux

Flux

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Any chance this can be updated to make use of UEFI:NTFS? It works great as is, but it would be nice to be able to use images larger than the 4GB file limit in FAT32.

Here's the github link:

https://github.com/pbatard/uefi-ntfs

Basically it creates two partitions, an NTFS and a FAT one, the NTFS gets ignored on 32-bit systems with EFI and the FAT one contains relevant boot code to load the NTFS one and boot from it.

It's pretty neat!

• TheHive likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aio boot, linux, vhdx, windows 10, wim, ssd, uefi, usb, multiboot

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users