• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4201 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:23 AM

A team in Australia breaks the 500 nanometer barrier. 1,000 terabytes of data on a single DVD

http://www.fastcolab...on-a-single-dvd

Cleverly, the reachers used two light beams, both 500 nanometers themselves. One was used for writing bits of information while the second purple circular beam was used to block all but a point of light 9 nanometers in width.

#2 dencorso

dencorso

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 142 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

Purple is around 405 nm. 500 nm is deep green. See:

61739e97b1ab4cf1cab258dd92fa53d4_w450.jp

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

I hate these guys. :w00t:

For a very short period around 1995/96 we had hard disks that were 300 to 500 Mb and CD's that were 650 Mbs.

Making a backup copy was easy-peasy.

I don't care about a 1,000 Terabyte on a DVD in a stupid lab using 500 nm deep green, I want a 500 Gb DVD on my desktop, and I want it NOW, and I want it CHEAP, I don't care about the wavelength or colour. :frusty:

In other words I would gladly have today something that I actually *need* (and actually it is a rather "modest" request as I would like something that is 1,000 to 2,000 times less than what the good guys achieved), rather than have, by the time I will be able to fit all the data I ever produced in my life (and that of all my family) on a single DVD, all those data already lost in any number of stupid, malfunctioning hard disks. :(

:duff:

Wonko

#4 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

What about the reliability and robustness of the thing? Most of hard drives already have 1/10^14 non recoverable error rate, that is, a frightening probability close to 100% to get a read error in 12,5 TB of data.
So, what about a disc with a much higher density, covered only by a thin and fragile layer of plastic?

#5 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4201 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

I would say. Dont go for the 1,000 terabyte dvd but make bigger incremental data storage dvd before producing 1,000 terabyte ones.

How long to burn a 1,000 terabyte disc with present tech?

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

How long to burn a 1,000 terabyte disc with present tech?

Hmm.. back in the old days burning a CD would take a whole afternoon. Assuming we are spoiled and accept nothing less of a performance to a 1Pb DVD and an afternoon with 6 hours then would mean 160Tb/hour :-)

#7 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

humm, crazy, if i think on my SCSI-Burner in the past.... huhh..

and now with green light..it's something like an CD-Rom of Stereoides ...*giggle*

and if it takes the Blue Pill's/Light.. he freak it out, or what ? holy..

but i have an idea/Suggestion, an Burner-software, where check what for an lacer

it is installed as hardware, and with this possible maybe the burning width of the burning,

if it's possible.. it is possible ? so, out of the consideration ..

best regards

Blacky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users