Windows 10 as freeware for home users

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Sounds like a good option. Give it free to home-users, charge the enterprise world: http://news.filehipp...ersonal-users‏/

True or fiction?

:cheers:

• ZEE likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

True or fiction?

Or wishful thinking:

http://thenextweb.co...s-windows-free/

or more plainly failure to understand some hearsay, possibly originated by the President of Microsoft Indonesia, at the time misunderstood by the Detik online magazine:

http://inet.detik.co...-gratis-asalkan

:duff:

Wonko

• ZEE likes this

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Good find. :fine:

However, if this news is on the Internet then it must be true. We shall have a free Windows for home-users.. :lightbulb:

:cheers:

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

However, if this news is on the Internet then it must be true. 

Sure :).

Spoiler

Wonko

#5 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

this os is already a bigger piece of sh1t than vista or 8.. 

i use a satellite web access despite i live near nimes and montpellier in france ; two big cities ...because orange had privatized all the things ...so as i live far from the residential s home [ aka 500 meters ] they are unable to reconnect my line that a truck from french electricity had cut by mistake...[ i asked during 4 months before buying the dish...a good thing ; internet is cheaper and better , plus tv is very good by sat , i bought a second dish with a motor and have 8k tvs , half are needing cards..., i get one called grozny at 53 est..., very nice to watch these tv that are not pro-us-europe... the destructions cause by the gwbush-obamama-old-europe is incredible...something like the us black citizen killed by cop ...]

so i have a 25 go limit during days [ no limit from 0 to 6 o'clock ]

and i have installed two pc with win 10...that downloads so much that it eats it quickly ...last month my access stopped one week before end of month..

have a look of yesterday morning with one computer...that was disconnected only 8 days and already using latest 10122....

win10_one_pc_one_hour.jpg

so i disabled win update yesterday ...

this morning ; SURPRISE , i got a reboot screen....

w10n_update_un_dis_able.jpg

so what the h3ll is this .....

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

POPULAR

Windows 10 Home users may not be able to opt out of Automatic Updates

http://www.neowin.ne...tomatic-updates

On July 29, users of Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium and those on the non Pro version of Windows 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Home for free. The interesting language in the specifications page for this upgrade path is also the bit where it mentions updates.

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

Although the wording isn't crystal clear here, it seems to suggest that Windows 10 Home users will not have the ability to defer updates - as was previously possible in 8.1 and 7 - and will be updated automatically.

This suggests two things: that when updates become available, they will be downloaded and installed immediately, but not necessarily force a user to restart right away; and secondly, those on the Home edition will not be able to bypass a potentially troublesome update.

:idea: :fool: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

• Brito, sixcentgeorge and ZEE like this

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

This is a great option when government teams with MS to install freedumware trojan updates on your laptop.

Already happening to OSX users in Germany since some years ago. About time for MS to catch up. :)

#8 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

Oh good I'm safe. All my OS are Pro version. :)

There are some that might say... They can't even give away Windows 10... it is that bad. So then they will say, they couldn't give it away so they forced it on people.

I'll just hope there are no one using Windows 7 or 8, wake up the next day to find Windows 10 on their PC. A few people fear that this will happen but I feel it would be a very bad mistake and not even MS would be so stupid.

#9 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

As much as I hate to say it, I think Microshaft is jumping the gun by releasing 10 early (July). 1st it was supposed to come out next yr, then late this yr, and now July. That's exactly the kind of shit that got them into trouble with 8, by essentially releasing what amounted to beta software before it was ready. And of course, the public backlash that ensued. They seem to be making it a habit these days of pushing out new OSes, softwares, etc, before they're ready.

I recently installed a clean copy of 10 on my new SSD. And within of hour of installing, with absolutely nothing installed, and the system in an idle state, my system then proceeded to hard-lock while installing updates. Nothing responded, the mouse wouldn't move, I couldn't even access Ctrl-Alt-Del. They're not doing much to convince me to upgrade, not even for free. Right now I'm reinstalling good ol' rock-solid 7, given that 8.1 is giving me issues as well. Everything is smooth so far.

I can also attest that it appears M$ is forcing users to install all available updates, with no opt-out option. As an example, I had my own drivers I wished to use, but Windows Update wouldnt let me skip the drivers it had available.

If anything, it appears they are attempting to systematically strip away users' rights with each new release of Windows. And this is why I lose faith in them more and more as every new OS is rolled out. Linux holds a bright future for computing if you ask me. It's about time another OS had a good chance to challenge Windows' dominance. And an OS that I'm embracing more and more. One that stands for the freedom of the user and not a greedy corporation that thinks it knows what is "right" for everyone.

My 2 cents.......

Edited by AnonVendetta, 07 June 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#10 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

They also removed support for floppy disk drives...

However, virtual floppy disk drives created with ImDisk still work, they "only" removed the hardware support.

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

They also removed support for floppy disk drives...

Also for dial-up with slower than 14.4 K modems, I believe :whistling:, but I don't believe anyone will be overly preoccupied by this ;) (and USB floppy disks are seemingly still supported), of course being completely unable to deal with 5.25" and 8" floppies will probably be a major issue for a selected group of people :(, you cannot make everyone happy.

Just in case of need:

http://www.msfn.org/...inst-your-will/

http://www.msfn.org/...and-windows-81/

Wonko

#12 F...youidontcareanymore

F...youidontcareanymore

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

I've been under the hood of my machines studying hardware for the past couple of years & i have to say theirs a conspiracy between chip manufacturers, bios companies, operaring system developers (free & commercial).

I could write a novel on the unscrupulous trade practices that go on between each other that drain the pockets of consumers.

If you want to know how evil the microcontroller/computer industry is just ask.

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

I could write a novel on the unscrupulous trade practices that go on between each other that drain the pockets of consumers.

Knowing more won't do any harm I guess :), maybe you want to start a new thread, possibly here:

http://reboot.pro/forum/27-news/

and provide us with some of your insights on the matter.

Wonko

#14 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

I've been under the hood of my machines studying hardware for the past couple of years & i have to say theirs a conspiracy between chip manufacturers, bios companies, operaring system developers (free & commercial).

We just have to open our eyes to see a major technological decline about the LCD screens.

Therefore it is easy to imagine the same kind of skullduggery for the rest of the hardware. For example, some years ago, hard drive manufacturers have made a lot of money thanks to water-floods in Thailand...
But now, almost everyone has forgot.

#15 F...youidontcareanymore

F...youidontcareanymore

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

That's retail skullduggery having already wholesale units & doubling the retail price of DDR3 in the same scenario, the water went down, the price didn't.

#16 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

Yes, it is whoever is on that UEFI 2.3.1 paper.

#17 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:33 PM

Well IMHO it's more a FORCED update than a FREE update. I'm very happy with my Win7 and untill I read from other people experience with the "upgrade", I'm hiding all known updates related to it, see: http://www.msfn.org/...l/#entry1097746

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hi friends!

I'm feeling rather nervous.

I do not know how Billy The Door takes rabbits out of his magic hat.

I'm in doubt whether anywhen my current win7-64, win7-32 or win8.1 installations greet me with "Hi, I'm #10!"

(I think, my still working XP should be out of question.)

Is there a true way that I can prohibit such unwanted upgrades before they appear?

I found already some "KB ##" which should be dangerous. But what to do with that knowledge?

To explain my situation a bit more:

Some more detail: I usually do all my work (mails, development, amazon, google, ...) from XP.

But for tests I sometimes boot into win7-32, win7-64, win81, mint, ...

And then it is already boring, when Billy The Door transfers and installes  the updates of the last 2 month ...

Peter :confused1:

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

I'm in doubt whether anywhen my current win7-64, win7-32 or win8.1 installations greet me with "Hi, I'm #10!"

(I think, my still working XP should be out of question.)

Is there a true way that I can prohibit such unwanted upgrades before they appear?

Dedicated thread here:

How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will?

http://www.msfn.org/...inst-your-will/

Special tool:

Windows 10 GWX Update Removal Tool for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

http://www.msfn.org/...and-windows-81/

but do double check anyway the KB's manually along the previous thread as the nag is seemingly re-proposed continuously with new KB updates. :frusty:

Wonko

• pscEx likes this

#20 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

Reading this thread on the topic (and other similar ones on different forums) I can say that I'm also extremely nervous as pscEx, 

Until I found this, lastly :

https://techingiteas...om-windows-10/ 

The point here is if we all have to believe that a rollback is possible, feasible and reliable with Win10.

What I'm afraid of is that following the upgrade to Win10, you'll loose the possibility to re-activate the old system...

@ Wonko

if the above is true, can we take that as plan B - besides your wise advice for a complete backup before upgrading to Win10 ?

And if it doesn't, according to your experience, what other posibilities we'll have for a plan B ?

Thanks,

ambralivio

#21 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1070 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

I appear to be exempt from this particular upgrade as I'm running Windows 7 with Windows Update permanantly turned off!!!

But that's surely not safe? It's possibly safer than being forced into unwanted updates and I don't really care - I'll take the risk. I have a backup system that works for me and I reinstall Windows from a working and very clean backup image at least once a month - often much more frequently if I've been playing around with new software.

Looks like I'll have a year to reserve my free upgrade so I'll wait until I start hearing about the experiences of the early adopters and accidental guinea pigs before making a decision.

I'm confident that I will be able to rollback to Windows 7 if I do choose to upgrade - and here's why. My system is a crappy old refurbished laptop that uses SLIC 2.1 product activation - if I do choose to upgrade then I seriously doubt that it will be possible to blacklist my old key as it's quite literally in use on thousands of other systems. Also the SLIC information is a physical part of the BIOS - there is no way that MS are going to update the BIOS as part of the Windows 10 installation process.

I would not be so confident were my system activated via SLIC 3.0 in use on Windows 8 systems as product keys are supposed to be unique and I'm not actually sure where they are stored. They are apparantly in the MSDM table in the BIOS - that's according to Microsoft (see here) who use the term BIOS throughout the "Microsoft Software Licensing Tables (SLIC and MSDM)" white paper. Based on the hardware requirements for OEM certification at the time of the Windows 8 release I suspect that they really mean in the UEFI firmware - possible even in NVRAM - who knows. If the Microsoft Data Management (MSDM) table is stored in NVRAM then it will almost certainly be possible to overwrite it - removing the rollback option. This is purely speculation as I do not have any Windows 8/8.1 OEM hardware and the information out there is limted.

Information from the Windows 10 FAQ (http://www.microsoft.../windows-10-faq -

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time: you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

I'll almost certainly end up dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 9 10 anyway - in which case I will probably end up adopting it sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Misty

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

@ambralivio

As I see it, the main point is not about the good MS guys providing or not an automagic app to revert to previous OS, the point is in trusting that the thingy will surely work on your specific system and setup AND that you will be prepared to provide the means to run it at install time.

More or less that is based on the idea of making a backup (or a restore point or *whatever* along those lines), so some disk space is needed (on the main machine disk or on an external device).

Think of *any* OEM laptop sold in recent years.

The idea in the perverted minds of the developers/makers is that as soon as the thingy is switched on first time it will prompt the user to stop playing with his/her new toy, procure himsef/herself two DVD's and burn to them a set of recovery disks (often made in an obscure, crippled format so that only a proprietary tool will work with them).

If I had 1 US$ for each of the people that quickly bypassed the advice, made not the recovery disks and then, when the hard disk failed or the OS was corrupted, were stuck with an unworkable machine I wouldn't be rich, but surely I would be well off. 

Wonko

#23 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

Good.  :cheers:

But now, aside the (more or less) isolated cases as Misty's one, I think that most (if not the majority) of the guests/members in this forum have a regular (read licensed) system, potentially eligible for the upgrade.

And for them,once  a due and diligent system backup/imaging of the actual system (before the upgrade and just for safety) is made, we have at least, 2 possibilities :

A - Accept the upgrade and then rollback,, eventually, in case you're not satisfacted with the new system

B - Accept the upgrade, as is and continuing to live with the upgrade

(Effectively, a third possibility does exist , that is making nothing and not accepting the upgrade - possibly and if you can).

In any case, the point remains the same, that is :

For those which are eligible and will accept to upgrade, will the "old" license remain effective after the upgrade and the rollback so that you can return to the original condition ?

Or, after the upgrade, your previous license will be definitely cancelled and no more valid ?

Finally, as per your statement below 

If I had 1 US$ for each of the people that quickly bypassed the advice, made not the recovery disks and then, when the hard disk failed or the OS was corrupted, were stuck with an unworkable machine I wouldn't be rich, but surely I would be well off. 

sincerely I thought that only (or mainly) conscious guys were involved in this forum, which know where their towel could be and having a basic knowledge on computing, according to which a system backup is of primary importance/priority (a sort of MUST TO DO), before proceeding with any so important change in the system  !!!

ambralivio    :boo:

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

sincerely I thought that only (or mainly) conscious guys were involved in this forum, which know where their towel could be and having a basic knowledge on computing, according to which a system backup is of primary importance/priority (a sort of MUST TO DO), before proceeding with any so important change in the system  !!!

Well, I wasn't making reference to people involved in this forum specifically (though there may be among them a few headless chickens most members usually know where their towel is :)) I was talking "generically" not only on this forum, over the years the "help emergency!" posts from new members have a queer tendency to revolve around the "I did x (or installed y, or run z) and now my system doesn't boot, I have no recovery or backup or install media..." or about one form (or the other) of data recovery (obviously not backed up data).

Wonko

#25 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

I'm confident that I will be able to rollback to Windows 7 if I do choose to upgrade - and here's why. My system is a crappy old refurbished laptop that uses SLIC 2.1 product activation

I would not be so confident were my system activated via SLIC 3.0 in use on Windows 8 systems as product keys are supposed to be unique and I'm not actually sure where they are stored. They are apparantly in the MSDM table in the BIOS

Regarding Windows 7 and SLIC, you are correct. I think you are safe with that kind. So as long as you didn't goof your BIOS and have the manufacturer's recovery DVD, then you can reinstall. However, Refurb may be different. RRPs don't use the SLIC, they use a different license/product key/activation. Do you have a legit refurb PC? You would have 2 COAs on the bottom if so.

Windows 8+ is different. Yes the product key is stored in the MSDM table, which is in the ACPI section. You can use tools like RWeverything to see this product key if the hardware you are using is supported by the tool. Unlike the Windows 7 method, Windows 8+ has to go online to activate. So the potential is there that MS could blacklist keys that are on systems that have upgraded to Windows 10. I don't think they will ever do such a thing and I wouldn't get worried about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users