31 replies to this topic

#26 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:26 PM

Very glad to see that you guys are still with me! No Mysty, your suggestions have all been used as learning tools. The more failures I have, the more I learn from each. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to learn so much!!  :lol:  So, while "learning" I came across this:

https://www.raymond....-on-windows-pe/ See number five. It shows almost exactly the same screen I got when I ran Winbuilder ( See http://reboot.pro/to...er-problems/ ) So, as another learning experience I started a fresh Winbuilder and typed "list" at the prompt. Got a whole list of commands, one of which was "Build". It did build an ISO file from my Win 7 DVD files, but it threw a bunch of errors when looking for drivers. Said that path was not found. Most were net drivers. I'll try to post a link here to most of the build info if you want to look to see if there is anything you can tell me. https://www.sendspace.com/file/nimz3h Great. It looks like the housemother let me post it!

I am just going to burn the CD from it so will get back after. More learning!

#27 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

@jetjock
Based on the screenshot you linked to and the PDF containing the error log, you are using the new(er) Winbuilder - this is a java based application that I have no idea how to troubleshoot. I did one build with the new builder approximately two years ago - can't recall much - however it did work. Documentation is pretty much non-existent. Try searching the forum for "Winbuilder 2015" and in particular posts by pscEx.

Misty

#28 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

Well, 'download the Gandalf ISO and mess with it' is not a very detailed or accurate description of how you are actually using it!

Maybe, you could give us some details? How did you make the USB drive exactly?

The symptom you describe sounds like it has not loaded the ISO as drive Y: (check Explorer) but it depends on how you are booting it... :ermm:

I downloaded Gandalf's Win10PE X64 Redstone dated 11-10-2016. I then created a boot USB stick using rufus which pretty much is idiot proof, and the ISO included in the download. It created the Gandalf Win10PE boot sick which I then booted from. It booted into the PE OS with both mouse & keyboard working. By "messing", I just meant I clicked on few items to see if anything worked, as I didn't have a lot of time to explore thoroughly. Some things worked (browsers), others didn't (Malwarebytes). There were no programs listed under Start/All Programs. That's as far as I have gotten. Oh, the file managers worked also. I will "play" with it more as time permits. I'm still "playing" with the old Winbuilder from earlier just trying to learn what I can. Your input is much appreciated.

jetjock

#29 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

If you boot to Gandalf - can you see the USB drive in Explorer?

#30 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

The only time I have had problems with input devices was on the Lenovo 100s - this was a particularly frustrating experience that I hope never to have to repeat! Perhaps your own trials and tribulations will lead to a solution that can be used be others.

Downloaded your builder and made a boot CD using default settings from download. All I got when I booted was a pretty desktop with no programs on it, nothing but a couple of arrows in the start tray and just a name, which I can't remember, where the start button should be, and no mouse or keyboard....

MistyPE is a very basic build - what you describe is normal. Had you mouse been working, right-clicking on the desktop would have opened the BBLean menu. If the keyboard had been working then the Windows+E key would have started a file manager. Without an input device you are pretty much ******!

If you still have the build then try booting it again and using the Windows+E keyboard shortcut to at least test if the keyboard is working.

First boot had no mouse or keyboard. Remembered that I had had this problem before when booting with a Windows install disk or Acronis recovery disk!! :rolleyes: Booted again and started clicking & moving mouse as soon as I saw the blue screen. Worked this time. Shift F10 gave me a command window with the "Sources" folder selected. Now what?...

I find it strange that your keyboard (and mouse?) was working in a basic WinPE build (the Windows Install Disk) but not in others - this in my experience is very unusual.

I can't think of any other suggestions at the moment.

I tried downloading the Gandalf build to get an idea of how it works, but haven't been able to - my portable Opera is too old and IE is not supported :(

Regards,

Misty

Misty

#31 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

@jetjock
Based on the screenshot you linked to and the PDF containing the error log, you are using the new(er) Winbuilder - this is a java based application that I have no idea how to troubleshoot. I did one build with the new builder approximately two years ago - can't recall much - however it did work. Documentation is pretty much non-existent. Try searching the forum for "Winbuilder 2015" and in particular posts by pscEx.

Misty

Yes, you are correct about the version. Since I had tried almost everything else with no luck I thought I'd try it once I had figured out it required command line entries to build. Burned the ISO and got a BSD, so as of now I am officially out the Winbuilder learning process!!  :wacko: You are also right about documentation for the program. Abysmal!! It reminds of a secret club that doesn't want any outsiders to know their secrets!   :lol: Hell, they can't even be bothered to give basic instructions on how to run it. :angry: Now for good news. 

I rebooted back to the Win10PE from Gandalf and explored it pretty thoroughly. WOW, he has really done some work with that! Once I discovered where all the programs are hidden I tried most of them. Most of them (more than I'll ever use) worked just fine. Super Anti Spyware is a 32 bit version, but will still run. Malwarebytes even ran and updated definitions. I tried to upgrade it from the free version to the Pro version I have, but it would not run it. Maybe I have to import the file into PE drive before it will run? I'll try that next time.

So, other the fact that I detest Win 10, this will handle anything I think that I will ever need. BTW, is there a way to change "Control Panel" in Win 10 so that it displays as a menu as in Win 7? That's my only beef so far. If you feel like giving me some instructions on adding or removing programs from the USB drive program, I'll be watching for awhile.

Many thanks to all three of you have helped me out. It's been an adventure!  :)

jetjock.

#32 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

The only time I have had problems with input devices was on the Lenovo 100s - this was a particularly frustrating experience that I hope never to have to repeat! Perhaps your own trials and tribulations will lead to a solution that can be used be others.

MistyPE is a very basic build - what you describe is normal. Had you mouse been working, right-clicking on the desktop would have opened the BBLean menu. If the keyboard had been working then the Windows+E key would have started a file manager. Without an input device you are pretty much ******!

If you still have the build then try booting it again and using the Windows+E keyboard shortcut to at least test if the keyboard is working.

I find it strange that your keyboard (and mouse?) was working in a basic WinPE build (the Windows Install Disk) but not in others - this in my experience is very unusual.

I can't think of any other suggestions at the moment.

I tried downloading the Gandalf build to get an idea of how it works, but haven't been able to - my portable Opera is too old and IE is not supported :(

Regards,

Misty

Misty

Do you do Torrents. If so, check this out:

I've tried everything I can do to post a link to the actual torrent here with no luck. Try this:

http://windowsmatter...ion-11-07-2016/

and scroll to middle of page. Click on Magnet download and it should open your default torrent program; Bitcomet in my case. It's free!

jetjock.

Edited by jetjock, 18 February 2017 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users