#51 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2022 - 09:32 AM

Nice App, but is it Portable so that in PE you can run it  from USB ?

Well, last time I used it (not in a PE, on a XP SP2, and yes, I know) I ran it from inside the .installer file opened in 7zip just fine:

https://msfn.org/boa...d-gif-recorder/

EDIT:

I see that gbrao already tested it and it works nicely:

licecap can be made portable. just tested.

when first run it creates a ini file in appdata\roaming.

if you move the ini file to the exe folder, it uses the ini file in the exe folder instead.

:duff:

Wonko

• wimb likes this

#52 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:34 PM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-26 -  for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

- Added TK_RegFix_Extensie_Y.reg to fix for Icon and Double-click  -  on Drive Y use LibreOffice for .doc and .docx , FoxitReader for PDF, VLC player for .mp3
- Added Wordpad
- MEDIUM is equal to LARGE Version so that we can do further development with LARGE Version e.g. Explorer Shell
- Fixed several Links in Program Menu and on Desktop
- Added Disable Telemetry Registry according to and Thanks to alacran
- Added in File_List\Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt the file \Windows\SysWOW64\dxcore.dll is needed for LibreOffice in Win11x64

Y:\VLC\vlc.exe is used for .mp3 and more instead of MPC-BE
Y:\LibreOfficePortable\LibreOfficeWriterPortable.exe is used for .doc and .docx
Y:\System_Info\Foxit_Reader.exe is used for PDF instead of SumatraPDF

• alacran and doberman like this

#53 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:17 AM

Tested Make_WinPE_Trusted-26 making Small and Medium builds, and all additions/changes are working fine.

Attached config.7z file Password = alacran

Updated and added some default links to desktop contained into config, also added Select audio device folder on desktop, containing a pair of links, (and Ico folder with heatphones.ico), to be able to switch to Set Speakers or Set Heatphones as default audio output.

The selected link has to be run before running/adding the sound link to Task Bar, if not it doesn't work, it just runs X:\Windows\System32\nircmd.exe with the respective parameters to switch the default audio device, the user doesn't see anything happening, but this works very fine on Win10, and maybe in Win11 too.

Finally I was able to find the way to solve my audio issue. And I think this could be useful for some other users if having same issue.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#54 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:29 AM

Hi alacran,

Nice to hear that Audio is working for you now.  :)

I didn't know what nircmd.exe was for, but just added that file since it occurs in 10XPE and does not belong to Windows.

Thanks for sharing and I will add your recent config modifications

#55 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:20 PM

In fact I didn't take that solution from 10XPE, googling I found a comment about a command using nircmd.exe to switch the audio device, and I decided to adapt it to this case, when I was going to add nircmd.exe to System32, to test if this works in this case, I noticed it was already there but never saw it before.  I made first a pair of commands, but latter decided to better make 2 shortcuts including required parameters,  and this let me change the icons to make them look better, and it worked flawlessly, but it has to be done every boot just as selecting keyboard layout, or screen resolution, by the way MultiMonitorTool is not really required in MEDIUM version as the screen resolution can be selected manually in the Windows program for that task, and it works perfectly fine.

But if the volume control in shown in Task Bar before selecting the desired audio output, then the trick don't work.

During one of my tests I did something and the volume control closed, and not present in Task bar anymoe, and then I was able to do the change, as it was shown after I ran the volume control again, but so far I'm not able to make disapear that icon from task bar to my willd.

If you how to do it, please share the info.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#56 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:56 PM

JFYI

I want to comment I have being making (intentionally) all my tests in a PC with only 2 GB of Ram, it usually runs Win10x86, but booting from a Win10x64 PE, Mini-10x64.vhd LZX compresed or WImboot installed your Make_WinPE program runs very fine, also from a PE_10x64_US_M.wim the program runs fine, and additionally from any of the mentioned also VHD_WIMBOOT runs fine, and I was able to make a 500 MB PE_10x64_US_M-WB.vhd that consumes less than 500 MB of Ram, just after filedisk booting, even SVBus_INST_Trusted installed fine the SVBus driver in it. So far I have only filedisk booted from the PE_10x64_US_M-WB.vhd, and also made other builds from it.

I noticed when running FirefoxPortable from PE_10x64_US_M.wim, on this 2 GB PC, the Ram comsumption is high, and the remaining free Ram is really low, anyway I was able to come to reboot.pro and make a post, but if filedisk booting from PE_10x64_US_M-WB.vhd and running FirefoxPortable, there is still a good amount of Ram available.

I Haven't tested yet a PE_10x64_US_M-LZX.vhd but I'll do it ASAP and comment back.

alacran 

• wimb likes this

#57 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:43 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-27 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

- Reduce WinSxS folder - Remove WinSxS from Winre.wim and rebuild WinSxS from install.wim according to File / Folder List of 10XPE - Add_Install_WinSxS.txt
- Added - Remove Folders / Files Option opens the way to Mini-PE
  Now used to remove Non working Desktop Icons in case of SMALL Version - Remove_Files_SMALL.txt

@alacran - In my case there is no Sound Icon on Taskbar - VLC Player plays mp3 - Switching Speakers to Headphone has no effect - in any case Sound via Speakers
Remember that Info from Audio.Script is not yet used and that might be helpful.
Also Network.Script and NetDrivers.Script have not been used yet. But to my surprise Audio and WiFi Network are working already.

Attached File  Make_WinPE_2022-02-17_083508.jpg   54.25KB   1 downloads

• alacran likes this

#58 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:48 AM

1 - Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-27 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

2 - @alacran - In my case there is no Sound Icon on Taskbar - VLC Player plays mp3 - Switching Speakers to Headphone has no effect - in any case Sound via Speakers

1 - I will test new version ASAP and comment back. It seems Remove WinSxS from Winre.wim and latter rebuild it with only the required files will make a good improvement in reducing the WIM file size, the other option for reducing icons in SMALL version desktop sounds also good, but it's mainly aesthetic and will not impact so much the WIM file size.

2 - Yes, I'm aware of that, this issue is present only on certain MBs, it is something that also happens when running Win10XPE_x64 on 2 PCs, at home, including this, (same MB brand), but not in the others, maybe it's related to the Bios.  In the other 3 PCs the sound output is identified fine in Win10XPE_x64 and it is the only output available. 

Following could be useful for some users:

In our PE_10x64_US to see the volume icon on task bar next to the clock you need to activate it in:

Start menu >> Programs >> System Tools >> WinXShell >> Volume

And following is for Wifi:

Start menu >> Programs >> System Tools >> WinXShell >> Wifi

alacran

• wimb likes this

#59 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:04 AM

New Version working fine.

I'm writing this from a MEDIUM version 1 GB W10x64_US_LZX_2.vhd, after booting and doing all the manual settings, the free space was 361 MB, and the used Ram was about 400 MB.

The WIM file was 569 and now builded with v2.7 it is 545 MB.

alacran
  • wimb likes this

#60 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:58 PM

Compare of 2004 US 10XPE Explorer Version with PE_19041_US WinXPShell has resulted in a List of Files that we need to Add for Explorer Shell support (and more) in Make_WinPE.

Now the only thing needed is the Additional Registry Keys for Explorer Shell support ..... But what Keys are needed (StartIsBack ....) ?

The program needs also to be adjusted to modify the DEFAULT registry hive (will come tomorrow).

Testing with the hives SYSTEM and DEFAULT and SOFTWARE from 10 XPE gives Booting with StartIsBack and Explorer Shell OK, but Desktop screen turns to black instead of blue.

Anyway these experiments suggest that File_List From10XPE_Add_To_LARGE.txt seems to be OK as addition for Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt to get the essential files.

Attached Files

#61 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 18 February 2022 - 06:49 AM

@ wimb

Good news, thaks for keep us informed.

alacran

#62 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 February 2022 - 08:02 AM

Version 28 is not yet ready, need more testing ....

#63 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 18 February 2022 - 08:05 AM

In the main time I was looking for a replacement of Pstart that can work on only x64 environment, and I remembered misty used LaunchBar in MistyPE project and also in ChisPE project, so I decided to adapt it to this project.

The x64 version of the program works very fine in the SMALL PE version and it is capable to lauch all my x64 SFX and almost all of my x64 portables from Portables folder LXZ compressed, both located on drive Y, just making the respective links to them or a link to a folder or add directly a folder containing links into My_Shortcuts_x64 folder.

Attached you will find preconfigured LaunchBar x86 and x64 versions with some samples, just extract the content of attached file into drive Y, and copy the LaunchBar_x64 link located into LaunchBar folder to SMALL PE desktop to test it.

I suggest to use the LaunchBar_x64 link in SMALL PE and optionally use the LaunchBar_x86 link on MEDIUM and LARGE PEs versions, that support very well x86 programs, and this way just including respective x86 or x64 version on the respective Remove_Files_*.txt, we can easily get rid of the non required link.

This way the users can freely add and launch their own portables in an easy way, also this little program looks very fine and its very easy to use.

Attached LaunchBar.7z file Password = alacran

Just be aware the Portables from PortableApps will not work in SMALL PE as they use a x86 launcher that doesn't run in the SMALL PE version, but we can use a work around, as an example we can run FireFox Portable from a link to Y:\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox64\firefox.exe (as the link contained in My_Shortcuts_x64 folder in the download).

By the way, you can find an only x64 portable version of VLC (without a x86 launcher) in this link to a VLC  page.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#64 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 18 February 2022 - 09:51 AM

JFYI

Forgot to coment the SMALL PE version lacks all Registry Keys to directly load and run audio or video files from VLC, but having a link to VLC_x64 portable into our SendTo folder, and selecting lets say an mp3 file >>> right click >>> send to VLC, the mp3 file is played very fine.

EDIT: I re-checked and I was wrrong, sorry memory fails sometimes, Registry Keys for VLC are included in SMALL PE version, but the  approach is valid in some other cases as the following.

Same works for PDF files and FireFox_x64, but it is too heavy just for opening a PDF file, or we can better use same way if having SumatraPDF_x64 portable into our Y drive.

Also forgot to comment if we booted from a SMALL PE and are using any portable (with a x86 launcher) from PortableApps, and we use the trick to use a link to launch the x64 program as mentioned in previous post about FireFox Portable, certain files/folders are created in:

\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\
\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\

This in no way creates any problem as long as we are booting in Ram as all PEs do, or Rambooting from a W10x64_US_LZX_S.vhd or W10x64_US_WB_S.vhd, because this files/folders will be created in Ram and are volatiles, and will disappear as soon as we shutdown the PE or VHD, and will not be present next boot.

But if Filedisk booting from a W10x64_US_LZX_S.vhd or W10x64_US_WB_S.vhd, this files/folders will remain into the VHD and will be growing very much every boot, additionally a lot of *.log and *.etl files are created every boot.

I will make a new set of my Clean* CMD files to be used especifically in this project, as soon as LARGE version is released and I fully identify all this garbage files/folders to delete them just before shutdown, to help us in try to keep the VHDs the cleaner possible after a Filedisk boot.

NOTE: By the way I noticed in SMALL PE version that even if a link is pre-set to run the program as Admin, the program is not launched as Admin, make note of this as certain programs as Wimlib-clc require to be run as Admin to work fine in Win10, will see if I find a work around maybe by means of PowerRun or any other alternative.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#65 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:16 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-28 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

- Added - DEFAULT Registry can be Updated with .reg files having HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_DEFAULT keys (.reg files for Explorer Shell Not provided and not ready yet) 
- Added - Add_Folders_Files\Program Files\StartIsBack and Add_Install_Files_LARGE_Expl.txt for Explorer Shell (not yet supported, but given here for experiments)
- Changed - Remove_Folders and Remove_Files files - Reduce Size and Prevent Telemetry
- Added - LaunchBar.7z according to and Thanks to alacran

• alacran likes this

#66 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:21 AM

Hello world!!!!

I'm writing this from my W10x64_US_LZX_S.vhd using FireFox, it doesn't work fully well, if I want to attach a file, when the window for selecting the file opens, the browser closes inmediatelly, very possible for the lack of some *.dll file in the SMALL PE WIM file used to build the VHD.

@ wimb

I was writing this when I got the message of a new post, I will download and test your new version ASAP and comment back.

alacran

#67 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:57 PM

Hi..Everyone..

I am very excited to use your Make_PE.exe for creating Win 10/11 based WinPE which will have High Contrast Black Theme (hclack.theme) in WinPE environment. Actually I am a visually impaired persion and can't  see anything in White/Lite Theme so need native support of High Contrast Black Theme in WinPE environemnt. 

Is it possible so that Make_WinPE.exe will allow to apply High Contrast Black Theme (hcblack.theme) WinPE environemnt ??

Please help.....

Thanks & Regards....

#68 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 February 2022 - 01:56 PM

Is it possible so that Make_WinPE.exe will allow to apply High Contrast Black Theme (hcblack.theme) WinPE environemnt ??

It will probably be possible, but such questions come to early. First we need to solve problems such as booting with StartIsBack and Explorer Shell ...

#69 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 19 February 2022 - 11:56 AM

Attached LaunchBar.7z file Password = alacran

Just be aware the Portables from PortableApps will not work in SMALL PE as they use a x86 launcher that doesn't run in the SMALL PE version, but we can use a work around, as an example we can run FireFox Portable from a link to Y:\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox64\firefox.exe (as the link contained in My_Shortcuts_x64 folder in the download).

By the way, you can find an only x64 portable version of VLC (without a x86 launcher) in this link to a VLC  page.

SMALL Version with Launchbar and Y:\FirefoxPortable\App\firefox64\firefox.exe and Y:\VLC\vlc.exe 64-bits is working great.

Indeed the FileSelector crashes so we need some more System32 dll files but that can be solved.

I made like you a Link to VLC in SendTo and then context menu served me to Play mp3 file in SMALL Version  :)

The SMALL Version WIM Size 400 MB has more functionality than expected. Music, Pictures and LAN Internet works but WiFi Fails.

Attached File  sshot-003.jpg   150.09KB   0 downloads

• antonino61 likes this

#70 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 February 2022 - 02:04 PM

As for the dll's, start by adding the smallest (excluding unnecessary kbd's, of course) and work ur way up until it works, hoping it'll do. Me, I haven't succeeded in sparing 1,000something dll's from windows\system32.

but, all in all, in the light of all these facilities u have ascribed to the smallest version (400mb), should one think of replacing the ordinary minivhds we are working on, what would one exactly miss out on?

#71 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

post deleted

#72 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

post deleted

#73 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 February 2022 - 02:07 PM

sorry about the repetitions, but I really cannot delete them - well now I have succeeded in it.

#74 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 19 February 2022 - 07:48 PM

alacran, on 18 Feb 2022 - 03:51 AM, said:

JFYI

Forgot to coment the SMALL PE version lacks all Registry Keys to directly load and run audio or video files from VLC, but having a link to VLC_x64 portable into our SendTo folder, and selecting lets say an mp3 file >>> right click >>> send to VLC, the mp3 file is played very fine.

EDIT: I re-checked and I was wrrong, sorry memory fails sometimes, Registry Keys for VLC are included in SMALL PE version, but the approach is valid in some other cases as the following.

wimb, on 19 Feb 2022 - 05:56 AM, said:

SMALL Version with Launchbar and Y:\FirefoxPortable\App\firefox64\firefox.exe and Y:\VLC\vlc.exe 64-bits is working great.

Indeed the FileSelector crashes so we need some more System32 dll files but that can be solved.

I made like you a Link to VLC in SendTo and then context menu served me to Play mp3 file in SMALL Version :)

The SMALL Version WIM Size 400 MB has more functionality than expected. Music, Pictures and LAN Internet works but WiFi Fails.

attachicon.gif sshot-003.jpg

I checked carefully a few time after I made the post, tested in a build made from v2.7, and I noticed audio files as *.mp3 files are already linked to VLC, and capable to run just with a double click, so the Registry Keys for VLC were aready into the SMALL version, so edited the post about that, maybe you didn't see the EDIT.

But as said that approach can work also for some other portable programs, as SumatraPDF Portable, but not all, it has to be tested on each program.

But I noticed in all programs when you have to select a file the program closes immediately, as samples it happened to WinNTSetup and/or Wimlib-clc and also it can't be launched as Admin, so these are really big issues, but MEDIUM version doesn't have this issues, MEDIUM only lacks support for TeamViewer Portable, as it has to be run from a PE booted as Admin.

So if we can't make installations and/or backups from WinNTSetup and/or Wimlib-clc in SMALL version as it is now, it becomes almost useless for average users.

Maybe to make installations and/or backups in command line SMALL could be useful for some users, that prefer command line.

But if there is a GUI program to do some task, I always prefer to use it, as it is more flexible, and I only use command line when there is not another alternative.

For me it is sad as it was starting to like me a lot the SMALL version for its reduced size.

alacran

#75 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 19 February 2022 - 09:55 PM

Make_WinPE version 2.8 test report:

I made LARGE, MEDIUM and SMALL builds, all builds were successful and all working as expected, (but still having the knowns issues mentioned in previous post), haven't tested Add_Install_Files_LARGE_Expl.txt yet.

Sugestions:

1 - Add an option to keep the reduced WinRe.wim once WinSXS folder is removed.

Suggested procedure:

Your program could check if a previous reduced WinRe.wim file exist into Win10 or Win11 folders (of course use the names you prefer).

if not exist, it is neccessary to make first the WinRe.wim file into Win10 or Win11 folders:

Extract the WinRe.wim a usual, but don't mount the original WinRe.wim using Dism, delete the WinSXS folder using wimlib (it is faster than doing it with Dism to save the changes in a new WIM file, as there is no need to mount and unmount the WIM to do this), and keep a copy of the resulting reduced WinRe.wim in a separate folder (Win10, Win11), for future use in making a new size build or testing a new Make_WinPE version, and this will improve a lot the time required for making subsequent builds.

Ir or once the reduced WinRe.wim file exist into Win10 or Win11 folders:

Just follow the usual procedure, but starting now from mounting the WIM file, but now mounting the reduced WinRe.wim from (Win10, Win11) folder with DISM, starting from mount the WIM all the rest of the procedure will be even faster than it is now, as we will save all the time required to mount and also to latter remove all the MB related to the WinSXS folder.

2 - Test Win Explorer and Admin account implementation booting from a VHD:

During the test procedure to implement Win Explorer and Admin account, to make easy the detection and analysis of failures in the LARGE build when using the new Add_Install_Files_LARGE_Expl.txt, and future Registry Keys, I think it is better to make the first boo in a LZX or WB VHD and then we will be able to offline attach the VHD and look to the *.log files related to the boot in \Windows\System32 folder that otherwise will be volatile and there will be no way to look at them.

alacran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe, wimlib, winntsetup, wim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users