bigger screenshot for download topic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

New complain:

The screen shoot transferred to the "automagically" created discussion topic, is very "handicapped". It only contains a small sub-area of the original screen shoot.

Peter

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hi Peter,

I've split your topic from http://reboot.pro/15255/ to a new thread of discussion. We have a forum section dedicated to requests. I am unable to easily change the forum to look as you request and this way it won't be forgotten.

Therefore, in the future it is better to place these requests here and I will be handling them as soon as possible.

Thanks.

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

:cheers:
Peter

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

Ok, I've increased the screenshot size, here is an example: http://reboot.pro/fi...le/35-usb-tool/

It is not perfect as I'd prefer to have the image in full size but at least it already looks a bit better. This also doesn't involve any special change inside the templates, which is nice since I don't have to worry about this matter when the next forum upgrades arrive.

What do you think about the current image size?

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

Something is seriously wrong. Why does the NaughtyPE Logo look so strange?
It is definitly big enough to act as a full blow Logo in the overview page. Yet it gets shrunk down to unrecognizable.

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:47 AM

larger size is better, BUT, I figured out something when posting the EaseUS tools...

Using a smaller, Square ICON like thing is best for the MAIN picture. You can also post additional pictures that show as small thumb nails. ALL the pics will display larger and all of the picture if you click on them,

SO, for me, that was a good compromise to use the existing template AND get a quick visual ID via an ICON like thing (same sort of thing that goes into a script as the "icon", and use a second or third or fourth picture as a screen shot to document anything.

#7 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

Something is seriously wrong. Why does the NaughtyPE Logo look so strange?
It is definitly big enough to act as a full blow Logo in the overview page. Yet it gets shrunk down to unrecognizable.

try saving it again with a slightly larger size. I had this same issue with a small sized PNG...Should have been big enough, but when I blew it up by 4X (simple with windows paint and "resize") worked fine. EDIT later I came back, and it was AFU again...Saved it as a GIF (instead of a jpg/png) and seems to be much better about the black border stuff...

NO need to repost - just EDIT the post, and delet the existing picture, then upload a new one (and add more if needed)

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

The original size was 120px, I had changed it to 240px and currently it is at 180px.

What do you think of the current size?

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

JFYI:
http://reboot.pro/15221/page__st__3

Is there any reason why the download center cannot behave like a "regular" attached image that enlarges upon clicking on it? :dubbio:

Wonko

#10 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

To me, there exists no reason whatsoever for only including a small screenshot. I've already written a topic last night about this matter at the IPB forum.

In the meanwhile, I just increased the thumb size so that it doesn't look too small as well.

#11 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

I believe it DOES expand and go into the image viewer if you click on it. The issue is that it isn't very good at scaling, and clips larger images..see the http://reboot.pro/fi.../20-shutdownpe/ download.

To me, *IF* we know the rules (like 180px or 240px), we can cope with them. Seems we only know some of them :dubbio:

1. If square, and px count less than "X", center and insert black border.

2. if square and size > "X", then scale

3. If it isn't square, and smaller side dimension > X, then scale down smallest dimension to fit, and clip larger dimension (?)

Not sure what happens if not square and smallest side is < "X" - will it scale larger dimension, and insert black border on the shorter dimension sides?

In all cases, if you click on picture, it will open in picture viewer.

Recommend...Default picture be square an at least 180px on a side, and be more of an "ICON"...other screenshots can also be attached...See either of the two easeus tool scripts I posted.

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

The problem is not so much that, if the picture is too small, it get's a border instead of being resized, but that it gets a black one, instead of a transparent one.

Though my biggest problem with the resizing is, that i choose a Logo with a good size to serve as Logo for NaughtyPE in the projects (over)view.
Yet, a black border is added to show the Logo in the NaughtyPE download topic (something of ok, look above), but why in heavens name, is the logo with black border shrunk down to serve as Logo in the project overview, instead of using the logo directly without the added border?

How silly is it, that i now have to scale the logo up, so that the board software can scale it down again! :crazy:

#13 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

The problem is not so much that, if the picture is too small, it get's a border instead of being resized, but that it gets a black one, instead of a transparent one.

Though my biggest problem with the resizing is, that i choose a Logo with a good size to serve as Logo for NaughtyPE in the projects (over)view.
Yet, a black border is added to show the Logo in the NaughtyPE download topic (something of ok, look above), but why in heavens name, is the logo with black border shrunk down to serve as Logo in the project overview, instead of using the logo directly without the added border?

How silly is it, that i now have to scale the logo up, so that the board software can scale it down again! :crazy:

Actually, your logo is less than the number of pixels that the board is looking for when it is building the web page, so it uses a black border. As I said above, *I THINK* the rules are, that the software only will resize the picture smaller...never bigger...(that can make it look pretty ugly ...i.e. I tried this on your logo, and UGHH...so, best to have a larger item, and let it scale it down...

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

sbaeder, i know the logo is smaller than the preview inside the NaughtyPE download topic.
The black borders are not that much of a problem.

Click on download - winbuilder - projects and have a look at the logo, the board software presents for NaughtyPE. That's smaller, than the original size of the logo. So it should be shrunk down. NOT have black borders added and then be shrunk down!

This is the first forum or website, where i have ever seen such a strange implementation.

#15 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

Well, I don't like to argue :) but it is smaller that what Nuno said the BB software is looking for - i.e. I did a "save" of the image after clicking on it. and it is only 84x84 pixels!...So, the space in pixels in the web canvas (for lack of a better term) is larger at 180, so it puts the border around it. Remember that after the canvas is "composed", it then has to get rendered on the screen, and the browser may do it's own enlarge/shrink.

You could try to resample or enlarge it, and maybe the original you have somewhere is larger, but 84 pixels, when even older, smaller screens are 1024x780 isn't that large. To "fix" it, I would just load it into paint, and resize (use pixel, and just set to 180...Here you go - no charge...

Attached File  monthly_08_2011-70b5bad4e8d5d86d446aafb23ae0caae-naughtypelogo.jpg   10.2KB   2 downloads
  • Brito likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users