5 replies to this topic

#1 gomjh

gomjh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Ok, odd issue here. I'm using the 2008-01-03 build of grub4dos. I am loading grub.exe from autoexec.bat on the usb stick. When I use the usb stick on a Dell desktop or workstation it freezes when grub tries to load (before the menu). If I remove the usb stick the menu will appear. I can then reinsert the stick and choose my WinPE 2.0 menu entry and it will boot. If I use this same 1GB Memorex USB stick on a Dell notebook it does not have this issue. Also, I have a Lexar 1GB Jumpdrive that works fine on the Dell desktops and workstations.

I know this is tied to a combination of this specific USB stick (1GB Memorex) and the Dell desktops and workstations, but does anyone have any ideas on how I can get around this issue?

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

gomjh

About your question, maybe knowing:
1) how you fdisked/formatted the stick
2) which MBR and bootsector are you using (standard DOS, NTLDR+BOOT.INI+DOS bootsector, etc.)
3) which filesystem is the Active partition on it (FAT16 06 or 0E/FAT32 0B or 0C)
4) how you invoke grub.exe from autoexec.bat
5) what config parameters are you passing to it (or what you have in your menu.lst)

would make some of us at least attempting in giving you an answer. :thumbsup:

Check a few threads in this area, and expecially those where tinybit and myself tried (and in some occasions succeeded :D) in resolving problems ktp had to see which tools and which data you need to post.

Also have you got an idea of how many "DELL desktop", "DELL notebook" and "Memorex 1 Gb" models are there around? :D

I still have my "Standard Reply" #32 ready, just in case:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2587
:D

jaclaz

#3 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

Try an older build around 2007-12-05 please. The newer ones have a new feature of 'geometry auto probing' and could in some buggy BIOSes cause failure.

Thanks for your report. And thanks to Jaclaz.

#4 gomjh

gomjh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:33 AM

1) how you fdisked/formatted the stick
2) which MBR and bootsector are you using (standard DOS, NTLDR+BOOT.INI+DOS bootsector, etc.)
3) which filesystem is the Active partition on it (FAT16 06 or 0E/FAT32 0B or 0C)
4) how you invoke grub.exe from autoexec.bat
5) what config parameters are you passing to it (or what you have in your menu.lst)

Also have you got an idea of how many "DELL desktop", "DELL notebook" and "Memorex 1 Gb" models are there around?

Well, I could give you all the details you're asking for, but you won't be able to make any sense of some of them, and I don't have the option of changing numbers 1 or 2.

1) Formatted using himalaya.exe
2) DRMK boot sector (similar to DOS)
3) FAT16
4) GRUB.EXE <-- This is the command-line, no parameters.
5) A splash screen in a .gz file, removed that and it didn't fix the issue. Though it is worth to note that when I remove and reinsert the USB stick it never shows the splash.

And no, unfortunately I cannot give you any more details on what himalaya or DRMK are.

Dell Notebook it works on:
Latitude XT
Latitude D430
Latitude D630
Latitude D830
Latitude M2300
Latitude M4300
Latitude M6300

Dell Desktop/Workstation it doesn't work on:
Optiplex 330
Optiplex 740
Optiplex 745
Optiplex 755
Precision T3400
Precision T5400
Precision T7400

Perhaps now you can see why I generalized.

I can test on more if you'd like, D600, D610, D620, D820, M65, M90, D520, D530, D531, D631, Optiplex GX520, Optiplex GX620, Precision WS390, Precision WS490, Precision WS690, etc... but I can guarantee you it will work on the notebooks and not on the desktops or workstations.

Memorex 1GB Traveldrive USB2.0 Flash Drive

Happy?

I will try the older build tomorrow, thanks tinybit

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

Happy?

Somewhat :thumbsup:, though for reasons NOT connected to the info you gave :D.

Without disclosing anything more about your "misterious" himalaya.exe and DRMK :D, maybe you can try with BOTH:
FAT16 06
FAT16 0E
and see if it makes any difference?

jaclaz

#6 gomjh

gomjh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Try an older build around 2007-12-05 please. The newer ones have a new feature of 'geometry auto probing' and could in some buggy BIOSes cause failure.

Thanks for your report. And thanks to Jaclaz.

grub4dos-0.4.3-2007-12-01.zip fixed it, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users