wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm not too sure how you create the missing CDDB entries, but from what I've witnessed, it seems to be pretty quick (a few seconds perhaps).
The equivalent process in USBoot is pretty lengthy, and takes several minutes (as much as 10 minutes from the log file in this post)
Are you doing any magic ?

The magic is that I don't have to scan inf files or to generate the CriticalDeviceDatabase entries.
CDDB entries from Windows 7 for Controller Class (IDE and USB) were previously collected and modified for XP.
These CDDB entries arre added in folder makebtregistry_tweaks in files HKLM_systemdst_Add_XP.reg and HKLM_systemdst_USB_XP.reg

:cheers:

#102 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Well that is in fact my Dual core laptop that requires iaStor.sys to see internal harddisk.
- without adding iaStor.sys + CDDB entries then 1st boot is OK, but Reboot is giving BSOD 7B
- adding iaStor.sys + CDDB entries then 1st boot + Reboot is OK

Without adding iaStor.sys + CDDB entries, first boot is ok, then just before shutdown, uninstall the USB hub that the USB disk is connected to. You will get a warning that the computer needs to be restarted in order to take affect. On the reboot, the USB hub is re-installed, slowing it down like it was for the first boot.

#103 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Without adding iaStor.sys + CDDB entries, first boot is ok, then just before shutdown, uninstall the USB hub that the USB disk is connected to. You will get a warning that the computer needs to be restarted in order to take affect. On the reboot, the USB hub is re-installed, slowing it down like it was for the first boot.

Did exactly as you proposed. The Result is on Reboot BSOD 7B

#104 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Did exactly as you proposed. The Result is on Reboot BSOD 7B

Then I give up. :loleverybody:

#105 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

@Doodoo

Can you (or anyone else) test latest USB_XP_Fix.exe as a fix for booting XP from VHD Image file on USB.
I am interested to know if it helps to prevent BSOD 7B without making use of waitbt driver.
I am interested also in results of USB_XP_Fix.ex as a fix for booting XP direct from USB.

Thanks

#106 VV2006

VV2006

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Wimb, I've been using UsbBootWatcher + Drive Guard (without waitbt driver) for a long time. They are enough to prevent BSoD 0x7B errors, I guess.

#107 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Wimb, I've been using UsbBootWatcher + Drive Guard (without waitbt driver) for a long time. They are enough to prevent BSoD 0x7B errors, I guess.

Yes I know that is working, but I am interested if we can prevent BSOD 7B without using DriveGuard driver (advantage = no need to download and to install DriveGuard)
The approach of USB_XP_Fix.exe is working for all my cases to prevent BSOD 7B, but it would be nice to have it confirmed by others.

#108 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

The approach of USB_XP_Fix.exe is working for all my cases to prevent BSOD 7B, but it would be nice to have it confirmed by others.

Have you tried a case where the computer has no storage controller, yet?

#109 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Have you tried a case where the computer has no storage controller, yet?

USB_XP_Fix.exe extracts if missing all IDE + USB Controllers from driver.cab
and adds Service registry and about 380 CriticalDeviceDatabase registry entries for those drivers.
Also iaStor + AMD AHCI driver + Service registry + CriticalDeviceDatabase registry entries for those drivers is added.
All BSOD 7B problems were solved by the above approach for computer having e.g. intelide or iaStor Controller

For other SCSI- and Raid Controllers with "ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
eg. nvstor then I rely on the integrated WINDOWSDriverPacksM folder with all MassStorage drivers via inf files
by using KTD option that also will set DevicePath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

I don't have computers that require such other SCSI- and Raid Controllers
and are interested if the approach of USB_XP_Fix.exe
and Integrated MassStorage DriverPacks is also sufficient for those cases to prevent BSOD 7B

#110 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi Guys,

I've tested WaitBt 0.0.0.8, it was however not suited for my purposed since it does not support Windows XP \ 2003 text-mode setup (I've got 0x7E BSOD),

I ended up using a well-tested code from another project and wrote Wait4UFD, which is also suitable for installing XP \ 2003 directly to USB 2.0 / 3.0 disk drive.

You can automatically set the USB components to boot-start using my IntegrateDrv utility, and can also use it to integrate USB 3.0 drivers, Wait4UFD is also in the package:

http://iknowu.dnsali...ntegrateDrv.htm

Tal Aloni

#111 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hi Guys,

I've tested WaitBt 0.0.0.8, it was however not suited for my purposed since it does not support Windows XP \ 2003 text-mode setup (I've got 0x7E BSOD),

I ended up using a well-tested code from another project and wrote Wait4UFD, which is also suitable for installing XP \ 2003 directly to USB 2.0 / 3.0 disk drive.

You can automatically set the USB components to boot-start using my IntegrateDrv utility, and can also use it to integrate USB 3.0 drivers, Wait4UFD is also in the package:

Tal Aloni

Since it seems like a really nice thingy :), I would suggest you to give it some more "dignity" by starting a new thread dedicated to it :thumbsup:

Wonko

#112 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

More about IntegrateDrv is here http://reboot.pro/to...-17#entry148258

#113 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks, I've created a new thread here.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Tal

#114 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks, I've created a new thread here.
Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Tal

You didn't. :)
One of the good things in life is redundancy:

Spoiler

Wonko

#115 mazak000

mazak000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hello everyone!

I wish to integrate waitbt into an xp iso image or to make an F6 floppy and i was trying to generate the required files.

txtsetup should be no problem, for the inf file i colud read documentations and guess and try, but the cat file i have no idea (is it necessary?).

Have anyone ever made them?

My goal is to make an iso (or an iso + floppy image) to install xp from an usb drive into a vhd located on the same usb drive. At the moment i can do it on an internal drive, then install manually waitbt and then move the vhd on the usb drive, so it's not a big deal, but i like to make things perfect! ^___^

Thank you in advance!

#116 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hello everyone!

I wish to integrate waitbt into an xp iso image or to make an F6 floppy and i was trying to generate the required files.

txtsetup should be no problem, for the inf file i colud read documentations and guess and try, but the cat file i have no idea (is it necessary?).

Have anyone ever made them?

My goal is to make an iso (or an iso + floppy image) to install xp from an usb drive into a vhd located on the same usb drive. At the moment i can do it on an internal drive, then install manually waitbt and then move the vhd on the usb drive, so it's not a big deal, but i like to make things perfect! ^___^

Thank you in advance!

The few posts just above yours are about the fact that Waitbt is not working properly with XP/2003 install and about a new thingy called Wait4UFD which was written to avoid that issue. 

Please re-read starting from here: http://reboot.pro/to...oting/?p=167034

See also:

http://reboot.pro/to...d-boot-from-it/

It would make more sense to try this latter.

Wonko

#117 mazak000

mazak000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thank you for the quick answer! I forgot to mention that i already read about wait4ufd and tryied it but it's not working (bsod 7b), waitbt is working flawlessly!

To be honest i installed wait4ufd after install and made manually the registry changes to enable usb boot (cddb and usb services start 0), but as i understand the regular procedure of integrating in the middle of installation only enables the usb services to start, or is it making any other change?

Thank you!

#118 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thank you for the quick answer! I forgot to mention that i already read about wait4ufd and tryied it but it's not working (bsod 7b), waitbt is working flawlessly!

To be honest i installed wait4ufd after install and made manually the registry changes to enable usb boot (cddb and usb services start 0), but as i understand the regular procedure of integrating in the middle of installation only enables the usb services to start, or is it making any other change?

Thank you!

Well :dubbio:,

seemingly you had to choose between:

1. use something that works for other people (but that didn't work for you in a preliminary, half-@§§ed test, doing something else from what it is supposed to be done)
  2. use something that DOES NOT work for other people (but that worked for you on first try in an another half-@§§ed test, that is different from the usage you have as goal)

You chose #2, which IMHO is not a wise choice.

In the thread I pointed you to, there is a post by wimb, which reports success (using Wait4UFD) with "Direct Install of XP in 3 GB VHD located on Samsung USB 2.0"

http://reboot.pro/to...om-it/?p=167235

Maybe you could start from there, as your declared goal seems very similar to that. :unsure:

The general idea, when something has been already "invented" (and detailed) is to try and reproduce it EXACTLY, and only after introducing any change/modifications.

If you start by doing other things, (even slightly different) almost *anyhting* can prevent you from success (and it will be very, very difficult to understand what causes the issue).

Wonko

#119 mazak000

mazak000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Usually i would agree with you, but it is since few years i am playing with usb boot with several configurations (ide, ahci, notebook, intel, amd, etc.), my experience tells me that there is no magic definitive solution for every system and xp and results can depend on so many factors that my purpose is to "master" several ways so that if i encounter problems on a particular configuration, i can try another solution.

Of course i will continue testing wait4ufd on other configurations and make it work, but i tryied installing w4ufd on a working xp-vhd on a internal drive and the copied it to an usb drive and bsod 7b, the same thing with waitbt works. I understand that the regular procedure allows many people to even install directly onto usb, but for me doesn't even allow to boot meaning that the driver on the tested system cannot "stall" (or at least for not enough time) the boot process in order to wait the usb drive, waitbt succeed in that.

Please understand that i am only try to learn more things about usb booting and this is why i am also trying waitbt that i understand to be a dead project.

I will follow your wise advise, but (for educational purpose) my question about waitbt still remains.

Thank you again for your kindness. :)

#120 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Please understand that i am only try to learn more things about usb booting and this is why i am also trying waitbt that i understand to be a dead project.

Sure :), but you have now "shifted your goal", the original one was:

My goal is to make an iso (or an iso + floppy image) to install xp from an usb drive into a vhd located on the same usb drive.

if that was your goal, you were risking to slip on a chocolate covered banana :w00t::

http://homepage.ntlw...red-banana.html

Now that your goal is to "try to learn more things about usb booting" then it's allright :fine:.

Wonko

P.S.: This:

http://reboot.pro/to...ul-info-on-inf/

http://www.wd-3.com/...ve/InfFiles.htm

may be of use about the .inf file.

#121 mazak000

mazak000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thank you very much! This guide is illuminating!

I see your point, i should have spend more words in the first post to explain more clearly my intentions... ^___^

Of course my final goal remains the same, but i would like to learn other things in the process  ^___^

...time for me to study now... ;)

#122 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

...i am also trying waitbt that i understand to be a dead project.

What do you mean by "dead"? Is there something missing?

Are you sharing the source code, somewhere? It'd be great for knowledge transfer.

#123 mazak000

mazak000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

What do you mean by "dead"? Is there something missing?

absolutely no! I meant that reading this forum, i see that waitbt is discouraged in favour of wait4ufd.

Actually i've done further testing and i cannot do any usb boot on vhd with wait4ufd on any computer, while waitbt is amazing! I also looked at the sources of both projects and i definetly find waitbt more reliable.

Regarding my previous question (how to integrate waitbt into xp iso) i was thinking of manually insert the sys file and the registry modifications directly into the xp setup just like that and not as a driver, but i didn't test it because i decided that the entire process of windows installation causes a lot of troubles when trying to directly install into usb and/or vhd.

So i made a universal xp installation (using vmware) enabled for usb boot (both usb2 and usb3) and vhd boot with the bonus that it is ready to go.

This process using winvblock and waitbt, seems to produce a xp installation that can boot anywhere! and even without internal hd!

So for me waitbt is perfect! And i want to thank you for that because winvblock and waitbt are two "must have"!

Thank you again! ^___^

Edited by mazak000, 18 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#124 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Well, someone (which means in this case Sha0, wimb and tal.aloni) should draw a line somewhere.

I mean we have reports that waitbt is not working and wait4ud is and now reports that wait4ud is not working and waitbt is. :frusty:

@Sha0

tal.aloni did share the source here:

http://iknowu.dnsali....0.1_Source.zip

Wonko

#125 mazak000

mazak000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well, someone (which means in this case Sha0, wimb and tal.aloni) should draw a line somewhere.

I mean we have reports that waitbt is not working and wait4ud is and now reports that wait4ud is not working and waitbt is. :frusty:

@Sha0

tal.aloni did share the source here:

http://iknowu.dnsali....0.1_Source.zip

Wonko

i'm not expert about windows driver developing, but i noticed that Sha0 uses WaitForSingleObject api that in my limited experience that class of waiting apis are more reliable than others, maybe because they are at lower levels...really dunno.

in my tests wait4ufd doesnt wait at all, so maybe the real difference maybe just that single waiting api that on some situations behave differently. On purposely messed installations waitbt waits a lot of time prior to give a 7b, while with wait4ufd 7b comes instantly.

I didn't follow any tutorial or tool from this or other forums, if it helps i can share my procedure and my scripts/tweaks etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users