was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

Very good! :thumbsup:

OT, but not much, I have fiddled the other day with a Linux HD image, and saw that the Linux MBR code is MUCH "smaller" then the usual 2K/XP one we use normally (meaning that there are a few more "blank" lines in it.

This would allow for having a checksum compliant MBR also for "fully" partitioned drives (ones with all four partition table entries filled) or for supporting several different hard disks.

jaclaz

#77 arquerox

arquerox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hello from Spain...

I get error booting xp1cmd from hardisk... Cannot locate \%windir%\inf\biosinfo.inf. I think that problem is from geometry of based usb hardisk... I think in grub image loading.. anyone have the .img file created ? I run the *123.Cmd provided in the forum created file list and the xp1cmd cannot from hard disk and from pendrive... I would apreciate some help.

I using a licensed Windows XP SP1 Profesional from 2002, purchased with my CUBE station.

Pd.- You may send your email for view my compilation....

#78 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

I get error booting xp1cmd from hardisk... Cannot locate \%windir%\inf\biosinfo.inf. I think that problem is from geometry of based usb hardisk... I think in grub image loading..

Well, NO.

That error message can come out only well after ANYTHING related to BIOS, CHS/LBA, Geometry and grub4dos has ALREADY succeeded.

The error comes from the actual loading of the Operating System, can you attach the file resulting from a:
DIR F: /S>C:\dirlist.txt
(supposing the drive you have the XPCLI on is "F:" when mounted in IMDISK or VDK)

Can you detail which method you used?
I simply do not understand what you mean by:

I run the *123.Cmd provided in the forum created file list and the xp1cmd cannot from hard disk and from pendrive...

:thumbsup:

jaclaz

#79 arquerox

arquerox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

Well, NO.

Thank a lot for you reply !!

That error message can come out only well after ANYTHING related to BIOS, CHS/LBA, Geometry and grub4dos has ALREADY succeeded.

I using a FAT16 formatted pendrive... that obtain the drive letter C when the BIOS bootsrap the device...

The error comes from the actual loading of the Operating System, can you attach the file resulting from a:

DIR F: /S>C:\dirlist.txt
(supposing the drive you have the XPCLI on is "F:" when mounted in IMDISK or VDK)

I attached my boot.ini, menu.lst and txtsetup.sif from my pendrive that are in error 18 when I choose the option of performing windows xp setup from my pendrive, using unattendee feature for SATA SUPPORT (drivers located at .SIF file in

[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath = c:\sata

Thanks for the help...

Can you detail which method you used?

Simple run .cmd file provided in the forum inside original licensed copy of WX^P SP1 spanish CD.

:thumbsup: sorry for my bad english pitinglish
:tabletalk:

Attached Files

#80 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

Well, you seem to (like many "newbies" :tabletalk:) want to make too many things together, this is usually the perfect recipe for disaster. :D

You seem to report that you have used the batch inside D123_XP.7z, found here:
http://www.boot-land...topic=3717&st=5

That file is (rather obviously) outdated and meant to be substituted by the more recent (cannot say "better" as I wrote it :thumbsup:) XPcli_Build_Dirs.zip and XPcli_build.zip that also include an "enhanced" Registry, that you can find here:
http://www.boot-land...opic=3717&st=47
(read also a few more posts after the above to find a fix/explanation for having the mouse driver working)

However BOTH batches as well as the more recent .scripts from winbuilder ONLY allow for the recreation of a "basic" WinCLI.

You seem to have later added (manually or using some other batch file) a number of other files, like txtsetup.sif, all the \inf\ directory, a number of \system32\configx\ directories, some files in root, among them a grub4dos menu.lst, a "strange" (in the sense of NOT along the instructions on the thread) boot.ini. :D

Maybe there is an initial "misunderstanding", this thread is NOT dedicated to teaching a way to install XP from a USB device, it is devoted to create a minimal XP running on a device (not necessarily a USB one), and it is still at the moment highly experimental/incomplete, and at the moment intended to be run exclusively on a Virtual Disk inside a (Qemu) Virtual Machine.

If you want to install XP from a USB device, and possibly multiboot a bunch of OS's and PE's, you should check the appropriate tutorial and threads here:
http://www.msfn.org/...P-USB-f157.html
fully working and tested.

:D

jaclaz

#81 Zetup-EXE

Zetup-EXE

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

Hello and greetings to all:

well i read this thread carefully, and i could get some usefull information for my project like the diskpart reg-keys and the necessary files for it. thx a lot to u guys!!!!

but now i've got another issue with the ipconfig.exe command.

i am working as a systemadmin for a large company. this company got so called "IT-System-Helper" people. it's planned to give them an usb-stick with a tiny xp-version on it. this stick should boot, start network and connect to a share where the prepared xp-setup files are being stored. so the following thing work fine:

- diskpart (necessary if it's a brand new computer)
- format.com
- nic detection

and the point with the nic detection is my problem. oh no, not the detection itself, but i asked myself what is, if the person forgot to plug in the networkcable? so i need a background solution (should not be seen from other persons) to refresh the dhcp address which will be 0.0.0.0 if no cable was pluged in. i thought i can use a background command like ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew until i got a ping! otherwise there should be a message!

the whole thing should work with less user interaction as possible. using autoit (www.hiddensoft.com) to create the shell with one button named "Start XP-Setup" should everything that other people should see. so i am able to send windows commands in the background.

P.S.: ipconfig.exe at the command prompt seems to do nothin, just nothin.

hopefully you guys can help me

thx.

Zetup-EXE

#82 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:26 PM

Well, if I were you, I would choose another project, like NativeEx, PE based instead of "full XP" based.

For XPCLI you have to use (at least at the moment) the minlogon.exe from Windows XP embedded, which would require a number of licenses, one for each stick.

Besides, this project is in it's very early steps, no network support is present at the moment, and also drivers, expecially Mass Storage ones, will cause problems, whilst NativeEx is already a mature project, with lots of feeatures already working and, undoubtedly, better portability among different machines.

I would be glad if you could contribute to XPCLI, helping adding to it new features, but it may resolve in a lot of "wasted" time, you are warned. :cheers:

Another idea could be that of using a different approach, like having the FULL XP install on the USB stick, as in this method:
http://www.msfn.org/...m-USB-f157.html
or using TFTP32 and PXE booting
or using this "intermediate" approach:
http://ping.windowsd...com/winner.html

jaclaz

#83 Zetup-EXE

Zetup-EXE

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

Hello jaclaz,

thx. for your advices, but you have to know, that i started my bartpe, winbuilder 3-2 years ago, i've got a multiboot cd / dvd with xpe, winbuilder (i call that mpe for mini for deploy and create images), diffrent os's, bootable floppydisks and a ram booting usb mpe stick. so i'd like to say i got a good package for my daily adminjob. anyway, please be forbear with me, when i say: i don't wanna start from the beginning.

any other solutions are welcomed also.

cu...

Zetup-EXE

#84 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

@Zetup-EXE

Very good. :cheers:

Are you game for "dirtying your hands" on this project then? :cheers:

Have you some Winbuilder .script experience?

I think we should "shift" from my rudimental batches to .script, starting from the already existing "basic" .script by allanf, as is the project is little more than a "proof of concept", but if there is interest and contributions, it does has great potentialities.

:cheers:

jaclaz

#85 Zetup-EXE

Zetup-EXE

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:24 AM

@jaclaz:

well, i am sorry to inform you i am not a script developer ;)

..but i have no problems to get dirty hands on those projects. a lot of things i reached (or not :whistling: ) where made by editing inf's, ini's, 'sif files by hand. you have to know i like to know what i did, and not the scripts. the reason why i never have started to learn winbuilder scriptlanguage was, i was deep involved in bartpe, not having time for winbuilder. so i build a base for my minipe and the rest i needed was editing files and registry (to get my own shell [programmed with autoit]). take a look:

Posted Image

this build boots from usbstick (ramboot) in less than 20sec. so it's for my colleagues and for me the fastest way to setup a new computer with an image or to create an image.

anyway, after discovering this thread i decided to build the network automated xp setup stick from this build. all i needed was diskpart running, format running. the rest comes from my beloved autoit.

so, if you have an idea, let me know, and i will see whether we can solve it together or not.

best regards..

Zetup-EXE

Attached Thumbnails

• mpe.jpg

#86 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

missing or un-needed files ?
(eg not in: root\windows\sys32\ after running mk_cli.cmd . but in Dietmar's filelist.txt )

wintrust.dll

wldap32.dll

ws2help.dll

ws2_32.dll

wsock32.dll

:huh:
however build using mk_cli.cmd will boot once , after running bb.cmd & 'shutting down'

rebooting halts with 'config\system is missing-or-corrupt ' :)
----------------------------------
building with d123_xp.cmd (smaller file list)

boots loads desk top then crashes and reboots

halts with error missing 'windows\inf\biosinfo.inf' <-- maby i used the rong 'config\' files :huh:

-------
both made with sp2 files.

#87 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

@rawral,
as said, the tests I made were done in Qemu with XP SP0 (Gold) and SP1, but cdob confirmed that it was working with XP SP2:
http://www.boot-land...opic=3717&st=68

The files in XPcli_Build_Dirs.zip and XPcli_build.zip are all you need for a basic environment.

Re-read this:
http://www.boot-land...opic=3717&st=79

You should NOT "mix" different "releases" or versions.

Post some more info, like size of the image, filesystem used, which VM (or "real" hardware) did you use, etc.

jaclaz

#88 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

Post some more info, like size of the image, filesystem used, which VM (or "real" hardware) did you use, etc.

sorry for the lack of info ,
i had made 2 compleatly seprate disks/tests the first with mk_cli.cmd now working 100%
the second using d123.cmd .

fyi the setup was , VM= vm-server1.0.0 ,using .vmdk= FS:fat32/size:100mb -on(old) external usb disk
fat32+usb im geusing caused the crouption of img (i figured i was doing sumthing rong as nothing simmer was reported) ..

because after a fresh start
build with -mk_cli.cmd \root\ + 100mb ntfs vmdk img
& is working well after many reboots
tho the build size is around 27mb

curently im loking through Running Windows with No Services , How to run a program as a Service , Using the SC.EXE command, Services Registry Files

for enough info to get sc.exe to start imdsksvr (tho im not shure100% this is necacerry to use imdsk ) // or other servace's another intresting servace link Configuring NT-services much more securely - to a gnu batch !! svc2kxp.cmd

however now the build is seems stable
the option to start 1 or more servaces would be nice

and maby load other components(in img) on-demand
in a simmler if not identical to the methods sanbrow uses with moa

i geus my intrests will fall into WinCLINL branch
verry intresting now its booting :huh: #

#89 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

Happy it is working now. :)

It is possible (though not really probable :)) that the FAT32 had something to do with the initial failure.

I always tested with FAT16 and with NTFS.

Apart the fact that it is "peculiar" to format such a small image as FAT32, I cannot see any possible reason, as the build was tested with FAT16 and the fastfat.sys driver is the same for both FAT16 and FAT32 :), maybe really some :huh:.

:huh:

jaclaz

#90 Guest_CJ Wijtmans_*

Guest_CJ Wijtmans_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Just wondering if u were able to get this working with FBWF, because you have to add the fltmgr driver...
It gave my BSOD, if you can get it working with this project can you guide me with reg files..

#91 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

runing services :cheers:

;)

How To Create a User-Defined Service
http://support.micro....com/kb/137890/

Driver installing tool
http://alter.org.ua/...t/win/drv_inst/

Create your own user-defined services Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=197

for others who may have been as uninformed / clueless as myself
hxxp://sysdocs.stu.qmul.ac.uk/sysdocs/backupmaterial/display.cfm_files/addkey.gif
hxxp://sysdocs.stu.qmul.ac.uk/sysdocs/backupmaterial/display.cfm_files/srvmgr.gif

also (Now, although the term "device driver" may seem intimidating to anyone who has never written such software, in reality this term is really a generic label for any software module which acts as a core operating system service.) :cheers:

-my-bad-links-fixed...
note to self use [url=" " NOT [url=' '

#92 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

Something's wrong with those links :cheers:

Working now, thanks for info ;)

#93 Marton

Marton
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

I have troubles making this Windows boot. Once it boots, I get a command prompt that works, and a MessageBox saying that "LSASS.EXE - System error - Could not find object name" and when I press Accept, it reboots. I'm using the correct registry from Dietmar, and I have all the files shown in the Filelist. What could be wrong? Maybe a missing dependency for LSASS.EXE? The files are all there, I double checked them... Any clues?
Basically, I need a bootable XP that would let me run the "Far Manager" console mode app, and maybe some small GUI app...

#94 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

Use the batches and filelist I put together.

They do work:
http://www.boot-land...opic=3717&st=79
http://www.boot-land...opic=3717&st=47

Once you have THAT build working, you can start playing with it removing or adding things.

Which SOURCE files are you using?

Batch/builds has been tested and found working with XP "gold", SP1 and SP2, AFAIK Server 2003 and XP SP3 are untested.

jaclaz

#95 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

...I get a command prompt that works, and a MessageBox saying that "LSASS.EXE - System error - Could not find object name" and when I press Accept, it reboots.

In my experience, this is from having SAM and/or SECURITY Registry hive files from the wrong source.

So as it stands, what's the XPCLI size looking like for the "bare" branch? Just a ball-park figure, since I've not specified sources.

#96 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

In my experience, this is from having SAM and/or SECURITY Registry hive files from the wrong source.

So as it stands, what's the XPCLI size looking like for the "bare" branch? Just a ball-park figure, since I've not specified sources.

The bare-bare remains the one originally stated, below 10 Mb on a compressed NTFS (but it's meaningless metrics, as the NTFS overhead is NOT worth it on a small image IMHO).

I have no traces of a bare-bare build, but it should be below 20 Mb on a non-compressed filesystem. :)

"Reasonable" XCLIBR is between 20 and 30 Mbytes on a non-compressed NTFS (100 Mb image):
http://www.boot-land...?...=3717&st=31

A non-optimized build, with quite a few apps, is shown here:
http://www.boot-land...?...=3717&st=26
around 35 Mb.

Please remember that all the mentioned builds use minlogon, cannot say the overhead that a "standard" Winlogon + dependencies may bring, but an educated guess should be around 3 Mb.

That's why it would be important to find a different - available to all - logon mechanism, maybe "borrowing" something from ReactOS/tinykrnl? :)

:)
Wonko

#97 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

...Please remember that all the mentioned builds use minlogon, cannot say the overhead that a "standard" Winlogon + dependencies may bring, but an educated guess should be around 3 Mb...

What happens when you remove WINLOGON.EXE and replace it with CMD.EXE? What's the BSoD error code (if you get one)?

#98 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

What happens when you remove WINLOGON.EXE and replace it with CMD.EXE? What's the BSoD error code (if you get one)?

Renamed Winlogon.exe to Minlogon.exe.
Made a copy of cmd.exe and renamed it to winlogon.exe.
STOP C000021A {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon Process system process has terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc00000001 &#40;0xc00000000 0xc00000000&#41;

The system has been shut down.

Wonko

#99 Rinrin

Rinrin
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

That's why it would be important to find a different - available to all - logon mechanism, maybe "borrowing" something from ReactOS/tinykrnl? :)

Wonko

Currently we do not have any replacement of minlogon.exe.

In the past I have been tried to compiled winlogon.exe from reactos with success but it failed to boot. just crashed.

attached src ripped from ReactOS if someone want to try it. I hope it will not against forum rules :)

Attached Files

#100 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

I had done my reading homework long time ago,
now I just did my build homework :huh:

http://lancelot.winb...00409162934.png

Thanks a lot to dietmar and jaclaz. (and ALL whom contributes)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users