• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

The closest I came was at a computer show, where lots of excited chaps were queueing up to watch a demo with three or four one inch square avi clips, all running simultaneously on a 486 DX33. Stunned, we were. We were considering investing, when someone asked the awkward question, and the truth came out: it was using a ridiculous 16 meg of ram.
I went home empty handed.

#2 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

It was pretty impressive. I used to burn cdroms on a specially trimmed down version of OS/2 in 20 MB of ram. Used to take ages, but then when cdroms were 20$ a pop, and the players were 600$, one used to put a lot of work into layout, before you let the needle cut the disk!

Still, it is still ten years ahead of Windows.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:08 PM

Really impressive..

It's too bad OS/2 was a very rare OS to find where I live, I knew a few who knew a friend or two who had it, but was still away from public acess..

I do remember seeing the first release from IBM (OS/1?) wich has some snazzy graphics and handling of things that was also eye candy..

And this was indeed a long time ago, very similar to these days now that I've come to remember it.. :P

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

before you let the needle cut the disk

Boy, was it an ancient CD-ROM writer! :P

jaclaz

#5 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

I actually had OS/2 installed as the only OS on my poor old 8 MB 486 for a while. Lasted about a month, cause it did not play civ1 all that well. Still, i had a FAT-free month!!!

#6 pmshah

pmshah
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

The closest I came was at a computer show, where lots of excited chaps were queueing up to watch a demo with three or four one inch square avi clips, all running simultaneously on a 486 DX33. Stunned, we were. We were considering investing, when someone asked the awkward question, and the truth came out: it was using a ridiculous 16 meg of ram.
I went home empty handed.

When you say 16 mb as ridiculous do you mean too much or too little? I remember spending a bunle of money to add 80387 co-processor & 16 mb ram so that my daughter could run Autocad while studying her engineering. Today I can get a fairly good pc for that addon cost.

When I installed Warp 3 with vlb graphic card & vlb ide controller on a 66mhz 486, it was practically flying.

So far as the price goes for the price I paid for a 2x cdrom, sound blaster 16 sound card & active cum passive speaker set from creative I can get athlon64 + mobo.

#7 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

For the time it was quite a lot of ram, my 486sx25 came with 4 meg. It never really "flew", even when I put a cyrix 66 in it. Although that did improve the frame rate in Doom when I stumbled into an army of imps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users