[project] uxp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#76 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

At the risk to seem unfriendly, which I am not :whistling: , rest assured, I will be direct ;) :
The UXP project is someting to re-install windows in a more friendly, complete, optionally customizable way as compared to "standard" MS default install routine.

The poster's name reminds me a bit on what I suggested in post #65 ;)
@Marieta244:
Maybe you look a bit more careful to my suggestion #2.

When you are working with Jaclaz:
  • Switch off all your own ideas, concerns etc.
  • Do EXACTLY what Jaclaz suggests
  • Report EVERYTHING Jaclaz is asking for
If there is any chance to bring your system alive again, then in this way.

Peter ;)

#77 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

At the risk to seem unfriendly, which I am not :whistling: , rest assured, I will be direct ;) :
The UXP project is someting to re-install windows in a more friendly....

Hi Jaclaz,
At the risk to seem unfriendly, which I am not ;) , rest assured, I will be direct :) :
Please do not worry, even after reading your whole comprehensive post I do not find you unfriendly, just like you said, direct, and that is not bad ;)
The UXP project is someting to re-install windows in a more friendly, complete, optionally customizable way as compared to "standard" MS default install routine.No more, no less. It's not "magic", as it won't create files from thin air, nor create a proper installation source out of an already installed system.
First of all the Short Response is I misunderstood so now I'll go an rebuild the source (following Nuno's) and only then come back to enjoy & "tinker" with the uxp project.

Anyway below are a some comments/questions on your Post:
OK, now I think "I get it", sorry, my bad. Although I though I had read enough tutorials, (I confess not all by any extent :) ) evidently I did not. It is not that I though it was "magic", just did not completely grasp the idea of making a better more comprehensive installation source compared to the original xp, which sounds great. And yes I though somehow I could get a new installation disk either from the program or from an already installed xp system. Sorry
:)

Forget for the moment about UXP, simply answer this question: Have you got a way to install XP normally? Answering YES to the above question implies that you have any of the following requrements: a. a copy of the XP install CD - NO
b. an already made by your OEM \I386 directory comtaining ALL the needed files on your hard disk - NO, and really not at all sure what this is, the recovery disks that came with the computer???
c. you know how to transform the files you have on your installed system into a proper \I386 directory containing ALL needed files, AND the right version of each of them. - Don't know how to transform the files,... and sorry to ask, BUT.... aren't you saying here that by transforming some files you can make an operating cd/dvd from an already installed system,.. contrary to what you say at the begining of your post? :)

...nor create a proper installation source out of an already installed system...

Answering NO to the above question implies that you miss the pre-requisites to run the UXP project, thus you should: 1) try following Nuno advice on how to re-build a proper source; 2) check attentively this thread:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=16381 where some hints and info are given.
Although I still puzzle :) at option ©, I will do as you suggest and follow Nuno's advice on how to rebuild a proper source and will check the linked thread.
3) if what is contained in points 1) and 2) is not clear enough, start a new thread asking for help in "rebuilding an XP source from <whatever you have>"
Thanks, I will first go over (1) and (2) and explore them, and if I need help I'll start a new thread as you suggest, sounds fair.
4) only once and when you will have solved the problem of a proper source, come back to the idea of running the UXP project.

As I like to say, you can try squeezing lemon juice from cucumbers, but taste won't be the same. ;) Rest assured that we will try to help you as much as we can with points 1) to 3), but until we do not get succesfully to point 4), the questions about winbuilder and UXP will be not productive.

Jaclaz, understood, and agree with you, no point messing with uxp & winbuilder until I do (1 to 3). Muito obrigado again for taking the time to answer and give me a more ample picture.
I do appreciate it and I look forward to advance to the point of being able to test the uxp project!

#78 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

The poster's name reminds me a bit on what I suggested in post #65 :whistling:
@Marieta244:
Maybe you look a bit more careful to my suggestion #2.

When you are working with Jaclaz:

• Switch off all your own ideas, concerns etc.
  • Do EXACTLY what Jaclaz suggests
  • Report EVERYTHING Jaclaz is asking for
If there is any chance to bring your system alive again, then in this way.

Peter ;)

Peter,

Thanks for the advice, I just finished answering Jaclaz post, and now I am worried that I made a faux pass, if so sorry Jaclaz, I promise to do as Peter suggests, I know you are consider here "the recovery kid" ;) I will go and read post #65 urgently.
Thanks again to all of you

#79 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

I know you are consider here "the recovery kid" ;) I will go and read post #65 urgently.

OFF-TOPIC:
This remembers me on a fault I made in my very beginning time.

Instead of 'Nuno Brito' I wrote 'Nino Bruto'. I think that you as Spanish speaking person understand.

'Kid' in real translation is a young goat.
In actual slang understanding it is a child.

'Nino' also means a child.

If Jaclaz reads this, I'm sure he will add a lot of Wiki etc. URLs about kids and ninos and goats :whistling:
He always wants to show me that he is better than me. And unfortunatelly in 9? percent he is right. ;)

Don't worry! Such events make our forum 'worth to visit every day' ;)

Peter

#80 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

OK sorry for the Long time o visit intrusion , but I think it's worth it to debate the true purpose of UXP as a Project and what does it do ?
I in my experience with the project learned that the more deep you go the better it feels ( I liked all the code written By Nuno , by reading it tons of time over and over again) .The purpose it serves from my perspective is to allow an easier creation of a Multi - bootable personalized Windows CD/DVD and an easier customization because not everyone likes to gobble with the windows install after format (i.e. install this driver that that driver than the other one than programs , etc.) so i used UXP alot , but for my bad Luck school started right when I thought I could do something significant. I believe that a new Windows XP source is good for the start however as you progress you should consider using Nlited Sources as I personally added some flavor to my sources by adding other addons such as Kel's 24in one pack and other stuff. Another tip from me is that using WPI can be very productive.

With Regards.
Benjamin

Links:
Kel's 24 in One pack
WPI - Windows Post Install Wizard

#81 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hello,

A new topic was created for UXP, you can follow it here: http://reboot.pro/15254/

The old topic is now closed to prevent confusions.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users