ReactOS 0.4.5 released!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hello!

A new ReactOS release was made available this week and is looking good.

img3File.png

The easiest way of trying it out is through VirtualBox, there is an image available for download.

Steps

1. Download http://downloads.sou....5-REL-vbox.zip
  2. Unpack, create a new VM on VirtualBox
  3. Use Windows XP 32bit as configuration

What I really like on ROS is the app store for installing software. Makes it really easy to download Firefox, Java, Notepad++ and the most common apps that we'd normally install (just for Wonko, they even included Opera as a browser).

My biggest problem was getting the network share to work correctly. I was able to access files on the network but not being able to download them to disk.

:cheers:

• Blackcrack likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

The screenshot says 0.4.0 ...  :whistling:

Anyway (just for the record) there is also a pre-made Qemu and VMWare version for those not wanting VirtualBox (for whatever reasons).

(just for Wonko, they even included Opera as a browser).

... and for the other 0.0001 % worldwide users of Opera[1], as I believe they provide a current version of Opera :unsure: while of course the only real Opera remains 12.18.

Seemingly (and luckily) :):

https://www.reactos....php?f=2&t=16247

We don't have a tos for the app manager. It's also technically not an app store or app manager in the conventional sense. It's a download manager, nothing more.

:duff:

Wonko

[1] Completely invented :w00t: data, relative to "real" Opera, i.e. versions with Presto engine.

#3 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

you need skins ?

http://www.blackysga...s/WinXP-Themes/

have fun :)

best regards

Blacky

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

The *other* Wonko prefers Opera over others too, uses it as primary on most of his devices. I never really tried/cared for the older versions that use Presto, I found that a lot of pages aren't rendered correctly, if at all. The newer stuff that uses Google's WebKit is fine, it's still a lot more stable, than say, Chrome, and uses far less RAM, and with the same level of compatibility. You can even use Chrome plugins in Opera (usually).

I doubt ReactOS would boot on my hardware, given that real XP setup booted from genuine sources, generates an ACPI-related BSOD almost immediately. There is no way to disable this in BIOS, and I'm not sure I'd want to even if I could.

If in a VM, can I force ROS to use the highest native resolution of my monitor, which is 3840x2160 (4k)? Or it will look like how 7 looks on my monitor, able to use highest res but having tiny icons, etc? It's not really worth bothering with if that won't work. VMs have a tendency to not always scale/stretch the OS correctly. Full screen would be ideal.

Do they have any near future plans for an x64 version? ROS is still mimicking XP even while there are newer versions of Windows, and x64 at that. I think 32 bit may still be dominant worldwide overall, but x64 is the future.

#5 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

maybe it comes, but it is now not directly planed, but if you whant make one, you can compile it too.

Go to the Reactos forum and speak with they are.. and by the way, it is a reproduction
 / replica fresh designed with the actual possible technics with free and open Source under GPL2

from XP at moment now..(but nobody say it is stops behind the XP equality , but hey, the code exist.)

and on the other hands.. it is all possible because, the Code exist, and it is fully looking in able ..

and you can make also a 64bit one.. if you can do this, but first it is this system

a xp replica because the politice from the Factory Microsoft .. open source, fixing and many

other task's where this factory easy not meets/suffused (fast enough) because they want

easy have his "Factory secrets"

but you can ever helping with :) There your start-up point => http://www.reactos.org

best regards

Blacky

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

I was testing different resolutions and you won't certainly be able to reach the max.

Nevertheless, I found the one provided already good enough to use.

#7 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

@ Nuno: Were you booting in a VM, or native booting? I don't necessarily expect ROS to be able to use my max, it is based on XP after all, but if it stretches/scales nicely then that would be enough.

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

I'm using virtual box and the scaling there works good enough.

I've also installed the virtual box additions without problems and resolution reaches 2560x1600 pixels. A live screenshot in full size from my machine is below.

c66cc345ae8d4a529b593ff754f7485e.png

• Blackcrack likes this

#9 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

you crazy dude, a MegaHD resolution ! hahahahaha...

you make my Day Nuno ! *lol*

the auto-resolution in Reactos with the VBoxdrivers should working pretty well also :)

so, if you move the size from small up to huge ..

have working before also not..

best regards

Blacky

edilin *g*/p.s.: maybe it is the new Reactos also something for your blog ?

#10 Pierre Schweitzer

Pierre Schweitzer

• Advanced user
  • 14 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

My biggest problem was getting the network share to work correctly. I was able to access files on the network but not being able to download them to disk.

:cheers:

Dear Nuno,

As you may guess, I'm the one behind network shares on ReactOS ;-). What are your issues with network shares? Do you still encounter them?

Cheers,

Pierre

PS: a bit of teasing for reboot.pro; I hope next ReactOS release will have support of Linux NFS shares as client (in read-only, though) :-).

• Brito likes this

#11 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hello Pierre!

I can read files OK from the host computer, but unable to drag folders inside ROS as they become empty.

Below is a short clip demonstrating the problem.

giphy.gif

I've simply installed the VBox additions and then tried to access the network folders as one would do with XP. Is this to be expected or drag and drop should be working? Thanks.

PS: a bit of teasing for reboot.pro; I hope next ReactOS release will have support of Linux NFS shares as client (in read-only, though) :-).

Sounds good. :cheers:

#12 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hi Pierre,

whoot, oh cool ! (because i have a nfs server, this fit's something like  "nail on" ..) and what it is with the Samba ?

best regards

Blacky

#13 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

@Nuno: Is your monitor 4k-capable? If not, that might explain why you can't set the res I'm seeking. If I'm going to have a 4k monitor, then I would definitely like to be able to fully utilize in all OSes, if only because it looks so damn good. My Fedora Workstation looks sexy as hell at 4k once I've installed the drivers for my Nvidia GTX 1080. Very crisp, even looks better than Windows 10.

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'm not an expert on resolutions. Anything above 640x480 is already good for me.. :lol:

#15 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

:D :punk: :buehehe:

i have an 42" TV as monitor on my workstation but it's only a HD monitor it makes only 1920x1080,

at next i buy a UHD TV if i so far have an bit money for that :)

then it's a bit more higher resolution possible .

best regards

Blacky

#16 Pierre Schweitzer

Pierre Schweitzer

• Advanced user
  • 14 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

I've simply installed the VBox additions and then tried to access the network folders as one would do with XP. Is this to be expected or drag and drop should be working? Thanks.

That's unexpected. I'll have a look.

I guess, after a refresh on the desktop, they don't show up? Is the share RW or RO?

Hi Pierre,

whoot, oh cool ! (because i have a nfs server, this fit's something like  "nail on" ..) and what it is with the Samba ?

best regards

Blacky

Nothing planed yet. However, some of the parts used by NFS client implementation could be used to implement Samba support.

#17 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

I guess, after a refresh on the desktop, they don't show up? Is the share RW or RO?

After reboot they are still empty. The share is RW. Should it be RO?

I've also checked that existed enough free space on the virtual machine to write the files.

#18 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

thy for info Pierre :)

#19 Pierre Schweitzer

Pierre Schweitzer

• Advanced user
  • 14 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

After reboot they are still empty. The share is RW. Should it be RO?

I've also checked that existed enough free space on the virtual machine to write the files.

That's not cool. I couldn't reproduce it with my NFS setup for now. I'll retry with VBoxSF later and see what happens (and no, RO isn't mandatory, just trying to get all the test variables).

• Brito likes this

#20 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

@Pierre: Since you seem to be a ROS dev, can you say whether it supports 4k resolutions, either in a VM or native booting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users