Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP, Win7PE & Portable Apps!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#51 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

is there a thread just for winbuilder, i get a error that says something about winfo and then can not detect windows 7 source....

#52 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

"Tutorials" is the wrong section.

Write in WinBuilder > Support.

We all do not have the famous magic crystal ball. Therefore please:

Explain in more detail, what you want to have as result, and what you did.
When you started a build (blue "Play" button"), include the log.html (in the directory of WinBuilder.exe).

BTW: Welcome in our community!

Peter

#53 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

NVm, i was trying to do it long way, i hadn't really explored this thread yet, looks like i am up and running for now. but thanks lol

#54 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

Okay, well i used all the defaults and used my win7 32 bit DELL disk as teh source, it completed fine, but would not boot in the standard test environment.
here is what i am attempting to accomplish: i want to use this as a network bootable OS for capturing and deploying images from my WDS server with Gimagex, i see this is a standard use for this. there will be other requirements...when i think of them lol. so i took my new files, moved them to my image sever, added the boot wim to my WDS and PXE booted a machine to test. it starts to boot to the wim and then all i get is a black screen. i am out of time tonight to include any log files, but can post them in teh morning if you tell me exactly what i need to post. any ideas are appreciated, i love the potential of this compared to standard PXE boot with gimagex .

#55 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

Your problem may well be the OEM source. You need an unmodified M$ image (retail), copied to hard disk as your source for Winbuilder to work well.

Is this question regarding a project in this tutorial? If not, please post your question here: http://reboot.pro/forum/91/ Start new topic if search yields nothing similar to your issue. There is also a section here: http://reboot.pro/forum/12/ for the PXE questions. Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

:cheers:

#56 Husain-The New Rookie

Husain-The New Rookie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Computer Related Everything
  •  
    India

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

hey has anyone made a pdf guide for this tutorial
if not plz make one with video tutorial
cuz the for beginners its hard to understand

#57 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

yes this is in relation to teh project here. the steps were easy enough after you read through them a few times, maybe some different formatting in how the steps are laid out, but once i found this thread it went well other then not having a good source. i will see if i can get a 32 ISO off our MSDN and try again. i assume i need to transfer all my apps and programs to the project folder right?

#58 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

i assume i need to transfer all my apps and programs to the project folder right?

Please try the project as is at least once to make sure you have the basics down. Once you have a working base, start adding your customizations but keep careful notes to see what works and what might cause conflicts. Try to not change too many things at once or you'll never know what has caused an issue if it occurs. Have fun :)

#59 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

oh yeah, i want to build it once with the defaults and make sure it all works.

#60 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

hey has anyone made a pdf guide for this tutorial
if not plz make one with video tutorial
cuz the for beginners its hard to understand

There is a pdf of the old (more complicated) tutorial linked at the end. The new pdf is in the works (still updating the tutorial).

Start slow, just download and build a project or two (leave everything as it defaults for now) and when you're ready, try some of the more advanced steps. You can always ask questions and I or someone here will walk you through it ;)

#61 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

oh yeah, i want to build it once with the defaults and make sure it all works.

:thumbsup:

#62 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

first build went great, used a windows 7 32 bit ultimate eval image. i am attempting my second build now with some of my required options and drivers, have not tested it from the WDS server yet. is there anywhere with good information on security for this? this is to be used in a domain, will is still pick up on a GP?

#63 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

I'm more familiar with Acronis and RIS, you might get better support here: http://reboot.pro/forum/12/

Glad the build went well ;)

#64 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

okay another question with this build, i see my gimagex is in the utils folder in the build list, but i can;t find it with in the OS once it boots. The booting form WDS works great btw. how do i go about getting that on my desktop or in the start menu? i will do some digigng here, but if you could point me in teh right direction, that would be great.

#65 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

I found GImageX not working in Win7PE_SE; works in LiveXP but gets 'unable to mount image' error from Win7PE_SE. I don't know if anyone has a working script but if you find one, let me know so I can include it ;)

#66 tgparker2010

tgparker2010
  • Patrician
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

Thank you for such a helpful and complete tutorial! I carefully read and Followed your (Amalux's) "Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP, Win7PE & Portable Apps!", Winbuilder successfully generated 3 bootable and running LiveXP ISO files which I was able to run on VirtualBox and VMWare. I am very happy and impressed. My next step will be to load these images onto USB sticks, and make them bootable USB stciks.

However, I do have a major issue with the whole business of SlipStreaming Driver Packs into Winbuilder.

The issue of drivers became problematic when I discovered that I was unable to directly download Driver Packs from within WinBuilder or the DriverPack software, as The DriverPack group have decided to no longer offer or supportthe direct download service as they weren't getting enough donations, and their sponsor pulled out.

I read the various postings, and I'm sorry nobody has donated to their site and project.

They offer such a great service. In fact I think someone is actually selling a CD based on their work.

Anyway, I had no problem manually downloading the DriverPacks via Bitorrent, my only MAIN concern is exactly which subdirectory to place the DriverPacks in Winbuilder so they get found and picked up by the software and correctly slipstreamed into the correct subdirectory in Winbuilder.

BTW, many of the Winbuilder scripts were/are still written assuming a direct download is still working so now I need to figure out exactly which Winbuilder sub-directory to correctly "nest" the DriverPacks.

I'd love to hear from anyone with Experience with manual downloads and the correct manual placement of the Driver Packs in Winbuilder...

Thanks for such an AWESOME project like Winbuilder, nonetheless. BTW I would like to make a donation to Winbuilder.

More to follow.
Namaste,
TG

#67 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

Well, thank you for the kind words and the positive report!

Anyway, I had no problem manually downloading the DriverPacks via Bitorrent, my only MAIN concern is exactly which subdirectory to place the DriverPacks in Winbuilder so they get found and picked up by the software and correctly slipstreamed into the correct subdirectory in Winbuilder.

If you're referring to the Driver Import PE script, all drivers go into the same directory e.g. 'Drivers' folder at root of any drive (including USB/UFD). Driver Packs (or any other packages) along with unpacked drivers (sub-folders OK) will be scanned and imported from this location* and there is no hard coding of paths ;)

*Note: This directory can also be located inside the PE image (option in script interface). In most cases DISM is a better choice here but there is more flexibility with DIPE, drivers can be added/updated later (even inside the ISO) without rebuilding the project.

BTW, many of the Winbuilder scripts were/are still written assuming a direct download is still working so now I need to figure out exactly which Winbuilder sub-directory to correctly "nest" the DriverPacks.

Which scripts are you referring to? I have made efforts to avoid this but may have missed some; let me know and I'll take care of it.

#68 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I found GImageX not working in Win7PE_SE; works in LiveXP but gets 'unable to mount image' error from Win7PE_SE. I don't know if anyone has a working script but if you find one, let me know so I can include it ;)

i am able to map a drive to my image server and run Gimagex from there, i captured an image friday before i went home and am getting ready to apply it to a new machine, i will let you know how that works. now i just need to figure out how to make Gimagex part of the boot image and how to get my network drives to map automatically. this is a great tool, we are talking about purchasing a full copy of MBAM and installing it into the image along with some other tools.

#69 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

My BGinfo worked on the virtual test, but does not run once in production. any thoughts?? it also does not show up in system tools like i have it set too.

#70 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

i am able to map a drive to my image server and run Gimagex from there... now i just need to figure out how to make Gimagex part of the boot image.

I have a script that should work, once in a while it does but mostly I get error, unable to find image; give me some time, still working on it. I have good success with DISM and can add context menu for mount/unmount; add packages/drivers etc.

#71 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

My BGinfo worked on the virtual test, but does not run once in production. any thoughts?? it also does not show up in system tools like i have it set too.

I use a portable which works well, not as familiar with script; I'll take a look tomorrow...

#72 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

for my drive mapping, i have edited teh PENetwork.ini but i noticed once in teh build it did not pull an information from the ini i edited. i checked the ini with in the OS after it was booted on teh physical machine and it looks nothing like the ini i modified and has none of the information i put in. how i make the changes in teh build translate to the final product? can i put my modded ini somewhere else and then change the path in the script?? i tried commenting out the string in the script for accessing the ini and put my driving mapping commands in there but ti still seems to access the ini file location.

#73 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

so i felt like i had a stroke of genius and decided to mount the wim with gimagex and modify the contents there, should work right?? well i cannot open or move any files from the mounted image, does not appear to be a permissions issue, i am rather baffled. what do you use to mount your images and wims? i think if i did this, i would be able to modify what i need and get my programs and apps in place.

#74 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

for my drive mapping, i have edited teh PENetwork.ini but i noticed once in teh build it did not pull an information from the ini i edited.

There are settings for this in PENetwork script under Network profiles. If you don't select your custom ini (default location is %ScriptDir%PENetwork.ini) then the included ini will overwrite with default settings.

#75 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

so i felt like i had a stroke of genius and decided to mount the wim with gimagex and modify the contents there, should work right?? well i cannot open or move any files from the mounted image, does not appear to be a permissions issue, i am rather baffled. what do you use to mount your images and wims? i think if i did this, i would be able to modify what i need and get my programs and apps in place.

Are you sure you checked R/W? I use DISM but still working on solution for you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users