Photo
- - - - -

Windows 10 RamDisk with ImDisk Fails

windows 10 ramdisk

Best Answer sgjenks01 , 23 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

So, after reading all of this, I've come to these conclusions:

- I should not use ram disk for a page file (wasted IO).

- Since my machines are not memory bound, I can skip having a page file (unless I have an app that insists on seeing a page file).

- If i do have to have a page file, I would make it fixed and small and put it on my SSD. 

I almost forgot to say thanks to all for your help! Thanks!!!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sgjenks01

sgjenks01
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Window 10 and wanted to implement Ramdisk. I'm using the RamDisk Configuration Tool provided at reboot.pro. Everything "seems" to work until I reboot, at which point I get the message: "System Properties: Windows created a temporary paging file on our computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer..."

When I open the "Virtual Memory" dialog, it show that my Ramdisk drive (R:\ is "system managed", but that "No paging file" is selected. If I simply reboot, I get the same error as above. If I click on "Set", the issue goes away, but then I have no paging file at all. In any event, drive R:\ is always there after a reboot. Windows 10 just doesn't see it?

So, I have two questions: Does anyone know how to make an ImDisk  page file work in Windows 10?

My other question is this: If one has plenty of Ram (I have 32 Gb), does it matter if the page file system is turned off? In other words, can I just let stuff sit in memory?

Thanks

#2 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

So, I have two questions: Does anyone know how to make an ImDisk  page file work in Windows 10?

Generally speaking, creating a page file on a ramdisk is not a good idea, not only because of performance loss (system has to go through the file system and other things before making the swap of memory, and all that before reading the accessed memory), but also because of other issues:
- If the memory allocated by the ramdisk is "virtual" instead of "physical", this can lead to a system crash in some rare cases where the system attempts to swap the page file with the memory used to host it.
- If you use the dynamic memory management, the proxy (RamDyn.exe) dismounts the ramdisk before the very end of the system shutdown, and therefore, if the system attempts to access the swap file after that (which no longer exists), this can theoretically lead to a data loss. But this is very unlikely because RamDyn configures the system to be the last closed process.

But here, it seems that the issue is that the system attempts to create the page file before the ramdisk is created. This is not specific to Windows 10, I remember to have read this issue with some previous system. And I see no workaround to that.

My other question is this: If one has plenty of Ram (I have 32 Gb), does it matter if the page file system is turned off? In other words, can I just let stuff sit in memory?

Personally, I disable the page file since Windows XP and have never got any issue.
Only one very old Windows (prior to XP, not sure which one) had some performance issues if you disabled the page file. So, unless you have a software that checks the existence of a page file (a software should never do that!), you can completely disable it.
And if you really need one, I think the best is to configure it to the minimal size and only on a physical drive.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

See here (not that anything changed since 7 or NT/2K for that matters):

http://www.msfn.org/...-the-page-file/

http://www.msfn.org/...file/?p=1101471

As a side note, if you really-really want to have a full RAM dump upon crash (32 Gb :w00t:) which for 99.99% of any Windows user represents only a nice collection of binary values, you can use a DedicatedDumpFile with recent OS versions:

http://blogs.msdn.co...emory-dump.aspx

:duff:

Wonko

#4 sgjenks01

sgjenks01
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:48 PM   Best Answer

So, after reading all of this, I've come to these conclusions:

- I should not use ram disk for a page file (wasted IO).

- Since my machines are not memory bound, I can skip having a page file (unless I have an app that insists on seeing a page file).

- If i do have to have a page file, I would make it fixed and small and put it on my SSD. 

I almost forgot to say thanks to all for your help! Thanks!!!

Edited by sgjenks01, 23 August 2015 - 08:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 10, ramdisk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users