multiPE with Win8 track

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Since today this combination is fixed as "never" by me.

I downloaded the W8 trial and installed in VirtualBox.

I got the first doubts when during installation I was asked to create a M$ account. I used an old email I have had commercially, and never used since years.

When the final W8 came up, I had the feeling to be in a museum and see some modified Mondrian paintings.

All the buttons about "Music", "Video" and whatelse only hide some background. I'll never use them. I need a system for
  • Read / write text documents
  • Read / write emails
  • Participate in forums like reboot.pro
  • Develop and test programs
I think that performing the win8 tasks will for me only be possible after several Latin weeks of frustration with try and error (Imagine my age, with waiting friend Mr. Alzheimer) - when at all generally possible.

As I know that several users like Billy the Door's latest phantasies, and want to use them, I will publish a multiPE - Win8 sceleton project tomorrow.
BTW: This project is the current published multiPE with the win8 additions. You can use it without issues like the standard latest project.

It contains all the code to switch to win8 build depending on the source, and finally leads to a blue desktop in the final PE, because there is no explorer started.

When somebody is willing to add the code for integrating that win8 pe monster into multiPE, I'll accept and add into multiPE. But I'll only help in solving multiPE issues, not Win8 issues.

The URL will be http://multipe.exec-...ultiPE_win8.zip

Peter

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Well, some other programmers (instead of whining :w00t: :ph34r:) have actually done something useful ;):
http://www.msfn.org/...button-in-win8/
http://www.msfn.org/...is-back-beta-1/

If you have some time and want to read some comments on Windows 8 and particularly on Metro NCI (Nameless Crap Interface) this might interest you:
http://www.msfn.org/...er-impressions/

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

No, I made my decision on "how full win8 comes up".

I do not want to waste any time to make something better.

Win8 is the perfect implementation of Billy the Door's opinion:

I allways know better what the user needs and wants, than the user itself.

Peter

#4 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi Peter,

The link :

http://multipe.exec-...ultiPE_win8.zip

displays the error message : Error 404: NOT FOUND!

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

As I know that several users like Billy the Door's latest phantasies, and want to use them, I will publish a multiPE - Win8 sceleton project tomorrow.

It needs some time, and today night I want to watch the soccer game Germany <> Sweden

EDIT: An "emergency" upload is running. Will be finished in some minutes. But no guarantee. That will be checked tomorrow.

#6 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

You don't have to use a free M$ account unless you want to download metro apps from the windows store. Windows 8 works perfectly fine with a local user.

#7 halikus

halikus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 110 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

PscEX, which one of these do you happen to use?

en_windows_8_9200.16384.120725-1247_x86frev_Enterprise_VL_HRM_CENA_X86FREV_EN-US_DVD
en_windows_8_9200.16384.120725-1247_x64frev_Enterprise_VL_HRM_CENA_X64FREV_EN-US_DVD
en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440_PRO_RETAIL_RTM
en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417_PRO_RETAIL_RTM
9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X64FRE_ENTERPRISE_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_CENA_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5
9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X86FRE_ENTERPRISE_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_CENA_X86FREE_EN-US_DV5
9200.16384.120725-1247_x64frev_Server_Datacenter_VL_HRM_SSS_X64FREV_EN-US_DVD
Windows8-ConsumerPreview-32bit-English
Windows8-ConsumerPreview-64bit-English
Windows8DeveloperPreview-32bit-English
Windows8DeveloperPreview-64bit-English

You mentioned you donwloaded a trial and i tried the Enterprise edition and it didn't get recognized as a valid OS. Then i tried the Pro version and it was recognized, but the resulting PE didn't boot. I noticed 23 files didn't copy also. Do you use Professional or Core? I want to use whatever you use to minimalize my chances of error.

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

For my tests I use the only available German 90 days trial.
I have downloaded, and no more knowledge about the URL.

Sorry

Peter

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

BTW: This project is the current published multiPE with the win8 additions. You can use it without issues like the standard latest project.

Uploaded now to http://multipe.exec-...ultiPE_win8.zip

You can use it also for "normal" multiPE project builds.

Peter

#10 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I got the first doubts when during installation I was asked to create a M$ account. I used an old email I have had commercially, and never used since years.

As mentioned, you can use a local account...BUT, as with many things, they are trying to move more and more things to "the cloud", and the login is used to synch all your settings across the many different devices you will be using in the future.

When the final W8 came up, I had the feeling to be in a museum and see some modified Mondrian paintings.

Yes, once you get past the "Start" page (with all the live tiles) it is a bit "retro" (not Metro :) ) but after a while, you just look past it (or skip it).

All the buttons about "Music", "Video" and whatelse only hide some background. I'll never use them. I need a system for

• Read / write text documents
  • Read / write emails
  • Participate in forums like reboot.pro
  • Develop and test programs
I think that performing the win8 tasks will for me only be possible after several Latin weeks of frustration with try and error (Imagine my age, with waiting friend Mr. Alzheimer) - when at all generally possible.

There are LOT's and LOT's of simple add-on's that bring back the start menu and allow you to bypass the login "Stuff" and go to the desktop. And for most everything above (other than develop/test programs), you could use a full screen "App" instead of a window...That is what M$ is counting on for the majority of users...NO need to clutter a decktop with multiple windows, when most folks use full screen for web, facebook, email, forums, etc.

But for a lot of us, the desktop is still the way to go, and once you install one of the many free (or low cost) windows start menu replacements, and bypass the start screen, you hardly know the difference between it and Win7 (Other than it is NOTICEABLE FASTER)... That alone has made me put up with it and use it daily for the past few months (belonging to the MSDN gives me access not only to the preview, but the "RTM version - with a legit key).

So, while it may not be perfect (far from it), it is where we are headed, and you can try to stop it :frusty: , all that will happen is eventually, you get a headache...so I would rather :play_ball: ...But I also understand why people still use XP, and the fact that we can all make our own choices for our own reasons is why this is a great place to hang out!

Scott

#11 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

From my newly discovered tablet knowledge today, i expect to see in a decade or two, devices / computers with preinstalled, undeletable, unchangable software.
And updating will mean, buying a new device. Probably every year, since the device will stop working at a preset date. (To protect the user, of course!)

And people will love it, because it makes live so much easier, if one does not have to deal with updates!

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Did a survey today in my company.
The overwheming majority (87% to my calculations) of people (to my shock) do not update their smartphones themselfs. They have a shop, where they bring them and let them update for a fee.

And most astonishingly, they see the update fee as a running cost of having a smart phone, just like the monthly fee for the telephone service.

I'm pretty shocked, i would have never guessed that in my wildest dreams!

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Did a survey today in my company.
The overwheming majority (87% to my calculations) of people (to my shock) do not update their smartphones themselfs. They have a shop, where they bring them and let them update for a fee.

And most astonishingly, they see the update fee as a running cost of having a smart phone, just like the monthly fee for the telephone service.

I'm pretty shocked, i would have never guessed that in my wildest dreams!

Well, as a retaliation :ph34r:, you could shock your mates :w00t: by telling them how they will need also to consider a (not monthly, but say yearly) fee to the TV technician to update their (large screen flat) TV's firmware, what I first saw coming a couple years ago has become common :dubbio::
http://reboot.pro/9915/

Wonko

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I don't think i can shock them with this they seem to be already in the 'correct' mindset for that.

#15 halikus

halikus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 110 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

With Win8 i can get it to boot to a desktop, but it is a useless blue desktop with no icons. The taskbar is grey and has nothing except for a touchscreen icon. Is this normal? There is no way to execute anything.

I get 35 errors in the penet beta 5 script also..

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

There is a new version uploaded. URL in first post.
It is currently identical with the released multiPE version 55.

But here win8 specific changes will be added, without uploading a new multiPE released version.

Peter

#17 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I get 35 errors in the penet beta 5 script also..

There exist some currently unsolved troubles when writing into a win8 hive to SYSTEMControlSet001EnumRootLegacy_???
AFAIK I know right now from Google, this key does not exist any more.

Peter

#18 halikus

halikus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 110 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

There exist some currently unsolved troubles when writing into a win8 hive to SYSTEMControlSet001EnumRootLegacy_???
AFAIK I know right now from Google, this key does not exist any more.

Peter

Those are the exact errors if it helps.

As for the blue desktop, i find hitting f5 to refresh the desktop shows the shortcuts for installed scripts in
x:WindowsSystem32configsystemprofileDesktop

I also found a chinese pre built WinPE4 (i know, its considered warez) that i got to try and reverse engineer some of his tricks. The wim is 336 meg and half english, half chinese. When i try to alter the languages in dism or imagex it says its a corrupted wim. If you would like the contents of any of his ini or cmds, or a list of files he used, i would be happy to provide you with anything that may help you overcome any obstacles.

Posted Image

Edited by halikus, 19 October 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#19 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

When i try to alter the languages in dism or imagex it says its a corrupted wim.

Did you try both the Win8 and the Win7 WAIK tools?

#20 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

The current version of winbuilder included in your download does not save any updated Selected status back to the script file if a script that currently is deselected is selected.

#21 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I either do not understand or cannot reproduce the issue.

Can you explain a bit more?

Peter

#22 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

If you look in the attached picture under 5 - Tweaks, CMD Window Settings script is not selected. In the script file then Selected=False

is correctly set in the script. If I now select the script I would expect Selected=True in the script file. However it never changes.

Winbuilder is version 83.0.0.12, file size = 951,808, date = 9/25/2012

Attached Files

#23 halikus

halikus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 110 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Edit the script file changing selected=false to selected=true.

#24 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Ehm, please check the number of posts or the status of of a poster, before giving such advise.

#25 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

If you look in the attached picture under 5 - Tweaks, CMD Window Settings script is not selected. In the script file then Selected=False

is correctly set in the script. If I now select the script I would expect Selected=True in the script file. However it never changes.

Winbuilder is version 83.0.0.12, file size = 951,808, date = 9/25/2012

I cannot reproduce.

I several times checked / unchecked.
In TextPad I got told on every click, that the script changed, and there was the correct value shown.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users