Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hello,

I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

I noticed an annoyance in the MultiPE V2 installer. Starting it on Windows 7 as a user with administrative rights but not with username Administrator gives an error message. So one has to log off and logon again with username Administrator (or use runas). I don't think that there is any reason that the installer must run with that username. I guess that even administrative rights would not be necessary at all. Starting WinBuilder to build the project is a different matter of course. But even starting WinBuilder with UAC never gave a problem for me.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#2 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

I also noticed, that the installer doesn't run correctly when it is located in a directory having a blank in the path name.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#3 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi MichaelZ,

i didn't have same problem on Windows 7 x64 EN and I don't have "Administrator".

Something with weather I think :unsure:

WinBuilder better say script for WinBuilder has problem with spaces in path.

#4 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

i didn't have same problem on Windows 7 x64 EN and I don't have "Administrator".

Something with weather I think :thumbsup:

Hello Filip, hello Everyone,

this seems to be a strange problem. I don't think it has to do with weather. It's getting warmer in Germany today, but problem still exists... :dubbio:

Here is what I get when I start the installer on my Windows 7 x32 (German Ultimate, SP1 RC) as a user being a member in the Administrators group and UAC is enabled:
Posted Image

Turning off UAC completely doesn't solve the problem. The installer creates a directory %temp%\$inst with the five files 2.tmp 4.tmp 5.tmp 7.tmp and 8.tmp in it. The first file has a date/time stamp of today and the other four have a file date between 2004 and 2010. When I close the dialog with the error message the files and the directory are deleted.

Since it has nothing todo with UAC I only can think of McAfee VirusScan or Agnitum Outpost Firewall being the cause of the trouble. Disabling both software also doesn't solve it. I didn't go that far to uninstall both products completely, that would have been too time consuming especially since I have the workaround using the Administrator account. After Windows 7 setup this account is disabled and has no password. I have set a password and enabled it because this account has UAC turned off even when UAC is enabled for other members of the Administrators group. And so I can use that account for installation purposes and have no UAC prompt irritations but still have everydays benefit of UAC.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#5 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi MichaelZ and Filip Hasa :)

I'll try to update the project with the sp1 in one or two weeks. I do not understand the setup of the problem stems from reason. But I decided to update the installation program. Best regards :smiling9:

Attached File  06.01.png   183.12KB   30 downloads

For testing purposes only:

Attached File  setup.7z   1.61MB   40 downloads

#6 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hi Max and MichaelZ,

you have to choose from context menu "Run as Administrator". see picture.

Hope this help

Attached Files

#7 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

you have to choose from context menu "Run as Administrator". see picture.

Hi Filip, that was the very first thing I did... And when turning off UAC completely that's not necessary at all because one has the old XP behaviour.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#8 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

I decided to update the installation program. Best regards :smiling9:
For testing purposes only:
setup.7z

Hi Max_Real,

this installer works also on my system. :)

I would suggest to set a different default installation directory. There are a lot of scripts one could add to that project that don't like blanks in the path.

Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for using an installer? A self extracting zip/rar/7z would be sufficient, wouldn't it?

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#9 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi Max_Real,

this installer works also on my system. :yammer:

Hi MichaelZ ;)

I'm glad to hear it. I'm thank you for your feedback. I will build a new installation procedure in this direction. :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for using an installer? A self extracting zip/rar/7z would be sufficient, wouldn't it?

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

I prefer this method of distribution to be easy and usable. Best regards :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users