Mexico

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:15 AM

Posted Image

File Name: BootIce
File Submitter: alacran
File Submitted: 24 Feb 2019
File Updated: 10 Dec 2021
File Category: Tools

The best tool for editing MBR, PBR, BCD and UEFI BCD, sector edit, VHD creator, etc.

Returned to previous version v1.3.3.2 (2015-02-16) since v1.3.4 has a bug and does NOT allow to Add UEFI boot entries. For more info see here.

Made by Pauly

NOTE: Direct link on the program is not working anymore.

In case you are interested or want to comment something about this program visit this thread: http://reboot.pro/in...showtopic=21956

NOTE: BootIce is an old program written before Win10, I have found it does not work fine to create 10 PE entries, (my theory is it laks the GUID code for them), but no problem with any OS, or OS into a VHD or older PE(s), anyway it is very useful to edit 10 PE entries once they exists.

alacran

Click here to download this file
  • Tokener likes this

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:30 AM

I want to also comment that some/long time ago I read a post from the author saying: if you put a newer version of grub4dos into same folder where BootIce is, this new version will be applied, It is highly possible same applies for Grub but haven't tested, if some one can confirm this about Grub, please let us know.

• wimb likes this

#3 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:53 AM

It is sad to me to tell you this fantastic tool is not working to its full capacity on this very last version, sorry I didn't notice it as I allways install my OSs on MBR/legacy partition/format (to use grub4dos to load some Isos from HD, just in case of troubles), I never noticed this issue, but now a very hight reputable member is commenting this version has an issue, (I can't reproduce it myself, but I do not have any doubts of his words, quoted his message sended to me by PM).

Hi alacran,

BootIce v1.3.4 does NOT allow me to Add UEFI boot entries, which I need for booting from Portable USB in UEFI mode with Grub2.

BOOTICE v1.3.3 is working OK for me and can create New UEFI boot entries in my machine.

Just to let you know that version 1.3.4 has an issue.

Regards,

wimb

alacran

• wimb likes this

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

It is sad to me to tell you this fantastic tool is not working to its full capacity on this very last version, sorry I didn't notice it as I allways install my OSs on MBR/legacy partition/format (to use grub4dos to load some Isos from HD, just in case of troubles), I never noticed this issue, but now a very hight reputable member is commenting this version has an issue, (I can't reproduce it myself, but I do not have any doubts of his words, quoted his message sended to me by PM).

alacran

Good, then please you (or the mentioned member) could be so kind as to find and upload a version 1.3.3 that works.

I have (and I am attaching) two versions x86 (I have not the x64 corresponding ones):

BOOTICEx86_v1.33_20140807.rar

BOOTICEx86_v1.332_2015-02-16.rar

:duff:

Wonko

Attached Files

#5 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Hi Wonko,

Here is BOOTICE version 1.33 that allows via UEFI Tab to Add New boot entries to your machine.

In case of Portable SSD then UEFI Grub2 boot option is not auto generated like e.g. Windows Boot Manager.

Attached File  BOOTICE_v1.33.zip   809.55KB   1258 downloads

UEFI_Grub2.png

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Hi Wonko,

Here is BOOTICE version 1.33 that allows via UEFI Tab to Add New boot entries to your machine.

In case of Portable SSD then UEFI Grub2 boot option is not auto generated like e.g. Windows Boot Manager.

attachicon.gifBOOTICE_v1.33.zip

Which is good :) , though it is NOT 1.33 (2014-08-07) but rather v1.332 (2015-02-16), based on comparing the date of the files with the one I posted.

Anyway now even those using 64-bit only can have the same fun with UEFI [1] as those running x86.

Wonko

[1] if anything connected with EFI/UEFI can be considered "fun" as opposed to the more common definition of "worst nightmare you can have (only worse)" ;)

#7 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

Looking on the backup of my collection of portables found (x86 & x64) BootIce v1.3.3.2 Build 2015-02-16 (same version posted by wimb), and it was uploaded to forum download repository, since I have noticed the link on program to http://www.ipauly.comis not working anymore, and this is one of those precious gems we need to preserve for posterity.

The name of this topic was automatically changed when I uploaded BootIce v1.3.3.2 Build 2015-02-16 on Forum Downloads section.

alacran

#8 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:29 AM

This link might be useful:

https://sites.google...otice-downloads

• wimb and alacran like this

#9 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:34 AM

This link might be useful:

https://sites.google...otice-downloads

Thanks for the nice collection  :)

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

So, the new evolution is INSTEAD of ADDING the 1.3.3.2 BESIDES the later (buggy as it might be) 1.3.4 is to REMOVE 1.3.4.  :w00t:

The 1.3.4 is still on the download page:

http://reboot.pro/fi...-bootice-v1332/

BUT obscurely listed as "previous version", not many people looking for 1.3.4 will be able to find it:

http://reboot.pro/in...download&id=935

I am re-attaching it anyway, just in case (files date 2016-06-16).

Wonko

Attached Files

#11 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

Excellent thread...

Definitely bookmarking!

Bootice is definitely one of my top handy portable tools, next to Rufus and a few others.

Clearly (my) (IT) life would be different without these tools.

A must have, clearly.

To quote one of my fav movies (before my twenties...).

DIURIQl.png

#12 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

I love BootIce and have been using it to edit BCD files for some time, but I have never managed to figure out what the filled (black) checkbox means. 

The checkboxes can either be empty, filled (black) or ticked.

Anyone know?

Attached Thumbnails

• bootice.JPG

#13 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

@steve

If an option is NOT set in the BCD entry, it appeares "filled" in BootIce.

If the value is "true" it appeares ticked, else it is "empty".

Regards   T.

#14 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:55 PM

@ steve6375

JFYI also in your attached image you have selected (equivalent to FIND) boot.wim file for Ramboot, without selecting any particular disk to start, then that's why selecting Partition is not available.

You may also be more especific and select the disk, and then select the partition will be required too.

I have also noticed not all versions of bootmanager + BCD work just exactly the same way, older versions are more permisive with FIND, and in some cases on some  Win10 versions I had to be more especific and set the exact disk and partition to get desired results.  Unfortunately I didn't make a note of this cases and I can't be more precise.

alacran

#15 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:00 AM

The BCD I showed (not made by BootIce) actually works for both UEFI64 and MBR booting which surprised me.

Changing the Global parameters by ticking one or more boxes stopped it from working for both.

[Edit][Stupid] forget this! I was looking at \boot\BCD and not \EFI\Microsoft\boot\BCD ![/Edit][/Stupid]

Edited by steve6375, 22 August 2019 - 11:10 AM.

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

The BCD I showed (not made by BootIce) actually works for both UEFI64 and MBR booting which surprised me.

Changing the Global parameters by ticking one or more boxes stopped it from working for both.

Isn't winload.efi the loader on efi (as opposed to winload.exe)?

Maybe it is the case of examining that BCD as a Registry hive:

http://www.mistyrebo...gistry_hive.htm

Wonko

#17 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

yeah, it's weird!

Attached Files

• Attached File  BCD.zip   4.71KB   556 downloads

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

Hmmm.

That is likely \boot\BCD.

It is not that you have a second BCD in - say - \efi\microsoft\boot\bcd ? :dubbio:

Wonko

#19 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Doh! Yes, I completely forgot about the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD file!!! - the EFI folder had hidden attribute set so I didn't see it!

:coffee:

#20 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Good. :)

We are now cruising at a level of two to the power of twenty-five thousand to one against and falling, and we will be restoring normality as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway. Thank you. Two to the power of twenty-thousand to one against and falling…

Wonko

#21 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:17 AM

BootIce v1.3.4 does NOT allow me to Add UEFI boot entries, which I need for booting from Portable USB in UEFI mode with Grub2.

BOOTICE v1.3.3 is working OK for me and can create New UEFI boot entries in my machine.

How reproduce issue in BOOTICE 1.3.4

I am testing the BOOTICE 1.3.4 in the VMware Workstation 8 and I can easily add a new UEFI entry to NVRAM. Tested on WinPE 3 and WinPE 10 on MBR partition:

winpe_bootice134_ok.png

#22 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:36 AM

See Post No. 3: http://reboot.pro/to...32/#entry209567

Hi alacran,

Just to let you know that version 1.3.4 has an issue.

Regards,

wimb

This report is about editing UEFI entries on NVRAM on real hardware, and was made for a very well known and trusted member of the forum.

Anyway if v1.3.4 works for you, congratulations.

alacran

#23 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:29 AM

This report is about editing UEFI entries on NVRAM on real hardware

I checked BOOTICE 1.3.4 also on real UEFI hardware ThinkPad X220 and ASUS P8H61-M LE R2

On X220 actually something is wrong. A new NVRAM entry can only be added if we have previously added another entry using other tools, e.g. bcfg in EFI Shell, efibootmgr on Linux or the older version of BOOTICE 1.3.3.2

On ASUS there is no problem with BOOTICE 1.3.4 - tested WinPE 10:

asus_bootice134_ok.png

To sum up - yes, actually the older version of BOOTICE 1.3.3.2 has no problems with NVRAM editing on real and virtual UEFI hardware.

#24 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Thaks for your info confirming v1.3.3.2 has no problems with NVRAM editing on real and virtual UEFI hardware.

I remember when reading on the old Chinese BootIce forum (not on line anymore) using Google Translate, there were several 1.3.4 versions released (all test versions from different dates), I downloaded the last that was available at the time, later I started using another PC and didn't copied it there, then took the v1.3.4 from AIO Boot, (it was easier and faster than find it on my backups), and as I prefer to install on CSM/MBR and never used that feature for edit NVRAM it was working very fine for me, then when wimb reported the issue it was better to let all our members and visitors to know about this problem, and go back to 1.3.3.2 version from 2015-02-16 wich is the last release of this version.

By the way, I think it is time to update your VMware Workstation 8.0, it was released on 2011 09 14 (new version is 15.5.1) and I'm sure yours is using an UEFI firmware that do not include Secure Boot that was incorporated later (2013) to the v2.3.1 specs., I think for that reason you can easily boot a WinPE 3 (based on Win 7) on UEFI on it.

Your friend

alacran

#25 Gerolf

Gerolf

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:37 PM

This Russian site has collected about 60 versions of Bootice, the latest being three builds of version 1.3.4.0. Maybe the third one corrected the bug that Wimb stumbled across?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uefi bcd editor, bcd editor, pbr editor, mbr editor

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users