#1 DeathAndPain

DeathAndPain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hello everyone,
seeing that the recent versions of Acronis TrueImage are for non-professional home users only, I have acquired the professional counterpart in the form of the new Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Workstation. TrueImage used to include a plugin for BartPE, but I suppose BartPE is no longer a sensible choice because it is based on XP.
Is there a way to include Backup & Recovery 11 on a WinPE CD (based on Windows 7)? What I desire is a bootable Windows 7 from which I can backup and restore the hard disk.

#2 Nemo_G

Nemo_G
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

My actual build #17318 of B&R 11 Server for Windows creates a packed WinPE module for use in a BartPE. Before you can use it you have to run make_plugin.vbs from that package. That procedure fails and doesn't create the necessary *.inf and *.xml files. Acronis isn't able to fix that bug since september '11.
My way to proceed will be to convert this package by the built in converter to a raw *.script as soon as I get a sastisfying answer from acronis how to create a working *.inf.

BTW: I succeeded in creating a working script for Disk Director 11 Adavanced Server for the "Notfall-DVD" (based on WinBuilder 082) of the Germann c't Magazine (2011/17 pp. 118). But as I'm a novice in scripting for WinBuilder I don't want to publish it now; in my efforts to make the raw script working I created too many variables and it only may be working under the mentioned c't project. I didn't yet try it under Win7PE_SE.

If you want to contact me by PM you may do it in your mother language.

Edited by Nemo_G, 27 October 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#3 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

There is a working script from dera (http://reboot.pro/9005/page__st__25 post#33) for Acronis Backup And Recovery 11 but the program itself is broken in PE (at least v.11..17217); curious if your 17318 will work.
  • Michele13 likes this

#4 Nemo_G

Nemo_G
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

There was an issue in build #17311 of B&R 11 Server Windows: My S/N wasn't accepted by the installer.
After I reported that to Acronis' support a new build #17318 was released. This error was fixed now ...
... but make_plugin.vbs (from the packed WinPE) didn't succeed in creating working *.inf and *.xml files for BartPE.
Till now Acronis wasn't able to fix that since september '11. I'm waiting for an answer in order to be able to get *.inf converted to *.script for WinBuilder.

A general hint:
Acronis' products often have a problem to correctly read the contents from registry when there are leading spaces in their keys. You have to compare and correct the values in your AddReg statements.

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

There is a working script from dera (http://reboot.pro/9005/page__st__25 post#33) for Acronis Backup And Recovery 11 but the program itself is broken in PE (at least v.11..17217); curious if your 17318 will work.

The script mentioned is working fine, you don't need the make_plugin.vbs from WinPE package. The problem is that ABR11 17217 (at least WinPE version) doesn't work properly (independent of script afaik). I was curious if your version WinPE files worked in that script.

#6 DeathAndPain

DeathAndPain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

Nemo, I fail to see why you desperately try to create a BartPE plugin for Backup & recovery 11 when in fact one is included in the product? You can access it from the media builder.

My problem is the opposite one: How can I make that BartPE plugin work in WinPE?

#7 Nemo_G

Nemo_G
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

My reasons are
I paid for the product, but it seems taht the Acronis guys didn't test all parts of their product.
If they had called make_plugin.vbs only one time (less than a minute) thy had discovered that there is something wrong.
I don't really want to use WinPE in a BartPE. But when make_plugin.vbs successfully ends there will be a *.inf file will exactly describes what has to be included into a XP-PE or a Se7en-XP.
After there was an issue with Build 17311 (I was not able to install it, as my offical S/N wasn't accepted) they fixed it after my report (Build 17318) but apparently they didn't make the approprtiate changes in make_plugin.vbs. (My call is still running although with low priority.)

Of course, I created the Emergency DVDs (Linux AND WinPE). And they work. But when you test the Windows Version you will see that you can't compare it with a WinBuilder PE.

If you have access to the "Notfall Windows" from German c't Magazine (2010/17 pp 118) you'll find a conversion tool: BartPE modules (*.inf!) -> *.script.
But you will have to manually correct the generated script.
Now you know why I'm "desparatly" looking for a working (!) BartPE module, altough I succeeded in integrating the Linux ISO with B&R11 AND DD11 (Servers) into the start menu of the Grub loader of that project.

BTW: In another call I proposed that Acronis have a look at WinBuilder.

Edited by Nemo_G, 08 November 2011 - 11:10 PM.

#8 DeathAndPain

DeathAndPain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

Unfortunately, what you are saying still does not make any sense to me.

If they had called make_plugin.vbs only one time (less than a minute) thy had discovered that there is something wrong.

I still fail to see what you plan on doing with your plugin.vbs. In your previous post you state that you need it to create a suitable .inf and .xml file for BartPE. Well, my Backup and Recovery 11 media builder comes with a complete BartPE plugin that has these two files, so I see no need to somehow generate them using a plugin.vbs. Chances are this is because I am using the latest release of the media builder, but well, that version was released in September, so if your copy is as legitimate as you claim, downloading it is an easy task and has already been possible for more than a month.

I don't really want to use WinPE in a BartPE. But when make_plugin.vbs successfully ends there will be a *.inf file will exactly describes what has to be included into a XP-PE or a Se7en-XP.

No idea what a "XP-PE" or a "Se7en-XP" is. I want nothing that is anyhow XP-related, just a working Win7PE with an Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 plugin, and all I get is advice how to create a BartPE plugin or what difficulties there are in creating a BartPE plugin, the most ironical detail being that I already have such a plugin...

Of course, I created the Emergency DVDs (Linux AND WinPE). And they work.

As far as I can see there is only one official Backup & Recovery 11 Workstation emergency DVD, and it runs on some sort of Linux. Unfortunately it does not really work for me: If I boot from it and then use it to create an image of my primary HDD to my secondary HDD with subsequent validation, the system reboots during the validation phase. Multiple lock files on the target DVD indicate that the process was still in progress when the unmotivated reboot occured. This is reproducable, and I have already reported it to Acronis support but only got a dumb reply to set my Acronis to yield a more detailed log even though there is no such option on the emergency DVD. By that time the image itself has been created, but I never trust an image that has not passed validation. I well remember TrueImage 11 (when "TrueImage" was not yet the name for the home user branch), and I often had completed images without error message that failed during restore. Only validating them could reveal this in time.

If you have access to the "Notfall Windows" from German c't Magazine (2010/17 pp 118) you'll find a conversion tool: BartPE modules (*.inf!) -> *.script.

I do have that Notfall DVD, but I wonder why I would need such a script, seeing that Win7PE has a built-in script for exactly the same purpose...

Now you know why I'm "desparatly" looking for a working (!) BartPE module

If you are so desperately looking for that, I wonder why you do not simply download the latest version of the Acronis media builder and get it from there...

BTW: In another call I proposed that Acronis have a look at WinBuilder.

Nice. I always liked their approach to deliver a BartPE plugin for their product, but XP is just too outdated to remain a suitable basis for a bootable Windows DVD. Too much hassle with AHCI drivers and no USB 3.0 support. They sure should support the Win7PE project instead.

#9 Nemo_G

Nemo_G
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

@DeathAndPain:
We are discussing of different products! Workstation and Server.
My version is Stand-alone Server for Windows (build 17318). No license server needed.
Correct me if I'm wrong: B&R 11 Workstation only works with the built-in license server.

OT:
Although XP may be outdated:
My BartPE (c't version) works with actual HD controllers and NICs! No problem to integrate them or to implement actual programmversions

Edited by Nemo_G, 09 November 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#10 DeathAndPain

DeathAndPain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

@DeathAndPain:
We are discussing of different products! Workstation and Server.
My version is Stand-alone Server for Windows (build 17318). No license server needed.
Correct me if I'm wrong: B&R 11 Workstation only works with the built-in license server.

Tbh I cannot even tell, seeing that I bought the product for the rescue CD (and BartPE plugin) alone. I have not installed the full product on any PC, and do not plan to, because for my purposes I fail to see the advantage of having a system-slowing software running in the background when I can as well make a really clean backup by booting the system from a CD and backing up from there. (I do agree that things can be different for network situations with many PCs to maintain, which is IMHO the only scenario where buying the expensive server license makes any sense)

Either way, I cannot remember ever having been asked for a license key by the Backup & Recovery bootable DVD. This CD is a read-only medium from which you boot and then backup and restore your stuff without any license hassle (provided it works properly...). And seeing that this whole thread is about such a bootable medium (Win7PE in this case), I do not see how the version (server or workstation) could make any difference here. Unless, of course, if for some reason the server version lacks the feature of creating a proper bootable medium - or if it lacks the BartPE plugin.

However, since Backup & Recovery is so important to you that you forked out several 100 €€€ for the server version, I wonder why you do not just buy a cheap workstation license in addition (<€50 if you search a cheap vendor at gh.de) and get your BartPE plugin.

OT:
Although XP may be outdated:
My BartPE (c't version) works with actual HD controllers and NICs! No problem to integrate them or to implement actual programmversions

I know that it is possible to integrate additional drivers into BartPE. I have done so myself often enough. However,
  • I grow tired of downloading drivers for every different machine I come across, dismantle them to locate the relevant files for the BartPE plugin, and then burn a new CD. XP simply has no generic driver for SATA like Win7 does. And even if you use a chip-manufacturer-provided driver, what about TRIM support? I do not want to mess up my SSD's by using a SATA driver that cannot do TRIM. And for many chipsets like the AMD770 there is no chip-specific driver that supports TRIM. However, the generic MSAHCI driver of WIndows 7 does.
  • I had difficulties before with drivers that did not integrate flawlessly. Bart himself recommends not integrating too many drivers, because that can make BartPE unstable. On my current primary machine my BartPE CD recently boots into a bluescreen for whatever reason even when I set the SATA chip to IDE mode. I used to make backups with that CD before, so I know the build is basically ok. I no longer want to keep troubleshooting a piece of ancient software when there are modern alternatives.
  • I know of no way to make XP support current hardware such as USB 3.0.
I simply want a bootable Windows CD that works with all modern hardware, without the hassle of having to fine-tune and reburn the build up front for every new computer. BartPE was awesome, but its time is over, and I see no reason to stick with it when there is such a fine Win7PE project available.

Edited by DeathAndPain, 10 November 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#11 oldjoe

oldjoe
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

DeathAndPain,

open AB&R 11, under "Extras/Acronis Bootable Media Builder" you can choose the type of the bootable medium (title: Wählen Sie den Typ des zu erstellenden Mediums"). Acronis offers the linux based BartPE version and a windows PE version. I could generate both types without problems.

#12 Nemo_G

Nemo_G
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

It's not my problem to create bootable media. Nor the Linux version, nor the Windows Version.
My Linux version even includes both B&R AND DiskDirector 11 (server versions) on ONE CD. Acronis doesn't support this for the windows version. You have to create two separate CDs.
As described above, with basic help by a converter tool included in the "Notfall-Windows" project I succeded in creating a script file for DD11AS.
My goals are to have a B&R11 script, too, and integrating both of them into a Win7PE.
As a workaround by now the Linux version of my bootable media is integrated into the Grub loader of my Win7PE based "Notfall-Windows".

@DeathAndPain:
I understand your arguments an agree with them; but I don't want to discuss why I use the server versions and why I'm a registered user with maintenance contracts.
So it's their duty to develop working products and not bananaware.

#13 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

If I got you right, you said at present there is some incompatibility stuffing A B&R (Wkst?) 11 into Win7PE? I'm a WinBuilder newbie, although I fumbled around quite a bit years ago with BartPE (but finally gave it up nerve-wracked, mainly due to annoying tasks like driver injection etc.).

Back then I made use of Acronis True Image Workstation 8 which was the predecessor of today's B&R Wkst and it worked well for me.
However, I didn't have to figure out the correct BartPE plugin by myself (got it from someone at 911cd.net unless I'm very much mistaken).
I've got no experience in developping WinBuilder scripts and rather little regarding inf files...

I'd like to give Win7PE/multiPE a go, but my main aim is to use backup tools (like Acronis B&R Wkst 11.0.17437).
Any hints how to proceed? :dubbio:

Greetings,
Mikka

Edited by Mikka, 15 May 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#14 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi Mikka and welcome :)

You can start with Win7PE_SE project here http://reboot.pro/4111/ It includes working scripts for some Acronis products (TIW9X, TIH2010, DD10, 11) but not B&R. The problem with B&R (IMO) is that it's a horrible product, in PE or Windows. This is typical of Acronis products where one version is excellent and the next unusable. Most of the recent products fall into the latter category IMO but this could change. Rather than focusing on getting the latest working version, find the one that works best for your needs.

#15 dsolomon

dsolomon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

I took deras AcronisBackupAndRecovery11_v7.script and updated it to AcronisBackupAndRecovery11_v8.script for 11.0.17437.
http://reboot.pro/90..._50#entry144936

So far - it has worked flawlessly.
here is my updated script.
only tested with Acronis B&R Workstation 11.0.17437 (universal restore not yet tested)
https://www.dropbox....covery11_v8.zip

#16 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi amalux!

Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

Having checked Win7PE_SE full and small but without success, I'll continue with W7.041612.exe.
I understand that the whole project is pretty error-prone, so I'll progress step by step—Acronis has yet to wait.
(Ja, I guess you're right about the varying quality of Acronis software.
Just thought of running some tests and see which program suits best.)

@dsolomon:
Thank you very much for your work!
I'll check—well, as soon as I manage to rid the Win7PE_SE compilation errors I get.

Edited by Mikka, 16 May 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#17 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

I'll continue with W7.041612.exe

Yes, please try and let me know results. If problems, please post link to log.html (archive) for further help to get you up and running ;)

@dsolomon
Yes, thank you very much! I'll try your script and add it to the project if no problems :good:

#18 dsolomon

dsolomon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the appreciation, guys!
I'll be testing the universal restore this weekend.
will update post if no problems.

#19 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

[quote name='amalux]If problems' date=' please post link to log.html (archive) for further help to get you up and running ;)[/quote']
I compiled an ISO with the basic components (i.e. a lot of apps I can spare and yet without my personalized tools),
using WinBuilder 082 and VirtualBox 4.1.14.

The only error I get is the following line:

X DirCopy - Failed to copy directory [%BaseDir%\Mount\Win7PE_SE\Source\InstallWimSrc\Windows\winsxs\*_microsoft-windows-riched32*] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win7PE_SE\Windows\winsxs]: The handle is invalid

However, thanks to your beginner's built the compilation succeeds anyhow.

Next, I'll retry Win7PE_SE_20120416 (full)...

#20 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hmmm, not sure what's going on there...

General advice:

Start with a working build, get a project that you can build successfully with default settings. Post any questions or issues regarding that project in the forum or thread that is dedicated to supporting that project because they're all unique in some ways.

Once you have a project you feel comfortable with, which you can build successfully with default settings, then add this new script and see what happens. Post any questions or issues regarding the new script in the forum or thread dedicated to supporting that script (or start a new one).

At least that's the way it should work if the forum were setup properly... well, just do the best you can. You see the problem don't you? Posting about adding a new script and getting errors which are related to the project in general; talking about 2 or 3 different projects (with no log supplied) and throwing in Virtual Box (known to have issues) leaves us wondering where to start.

#21 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Well, I cut your Win7PE SE fork down to 22 scripts (just Build, Shell, Tweaks [=Wallpaper, RamDisk, Display], Finalize, VirtualTest). Before that, I received that type of error twice, now merely one as mentioned above. :logik:

(Don't know if this matters, but I'm compiling Win7PE SE builts using Windows XP SP3.)

Edited by Mikka, 21 May 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#22 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Are you saying the project builds without error but when you add this script you get the error posted? If so, I'll leave it to the author of the script at this point.

If you're getting this error in a project without adding this script (or you're not sure) then please pay attention, you are posting in the wrong forum thread.

This thread is regarding a specific script, not for general build errors which probably have nothing to do with thread title so to avoid further hijacking of the thread, do the following:

If using my tutorial/projects:

For testing, please use this project http://www.mediafire...gabrg8we99m5dfb as is, just select your untouched, official M$ Windows 7 source (copied to folder at root of drive) and run the project (installed to root of drive) and when done post a link to the log.html archive generated in project directory 'logs' folder (it will be named something like Win7PE SE-Win7*.7z). You need to upload this archive to a free host like mediafire and post the link in my tutorial for help. Host OS shouldn't matter.

If using official Win7PE_SE_201... project, please post log in appropriate forum for support.

#23 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the appreciation, guys!
I'll be testing the universal restore this weekend.
will update post if no problems.

On a positive note (and back to subject :rolleyes: )

The script is working well and universal restore tested good also :good:

I still don't like B&R but this version works correctly in PE and the script is great! Thanks again to dera and dsolomon.

:cheers:
  • dsolomon likes this

#24 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

http://www.mediafire...gabrg8we99m5dfb[/url] as is, just select your untouched, official M$ Windows 7 source (copied to folder at root of drive) and run the project (installed to root of drive) and when done post a link to the log.html archive generated in project directory 'logs' folder (it will be named something like Win7PE SE-Win7*.7z). You need to upload this archive to a free host like mediafire and post the link in my tutorial for help. Host OS shouldn't matter.

Well, I did as told, here's the 7zipped log file with the errors.

It had been done with an untouched release (W7.041412.exe) of yours and my local folder %SystemDrive%\W7x86 holding a localized (german) version of Windows 7 Professional SP1 x86.

Thank you very much for your support! :thumbsup:

#25 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi Mikka :)

This still has nothing to do with the topic but at least we've isolated it to one project and you did supply the log ;)

OK, mounting my install.wim, if I search for *_microsoft-windows-riched32* directory, it's there.
Attached File  W7-riched32.png   13.09KB   11 downloads

I'm guessing in yours it's missing(?). I can't say why, is this an SP1 upgrade or maybe a beta release or VLite, RT7lite or?

The recommended solution would be to use a different source. There may be a quick fix or patch but let me ask you, what is the result of this error? It looks like you have an ISO, does it boot? Any problems or errors?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acronis, backup & recovery 11

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users