- - - - -

Do modern SSDs really need over-provisioning?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2021 - 12:01 AM

I know that OP was considered essential with early SSDs, since they used older technology. But the SSDs of today are vastly improved. SSDs are now considered to be more reliable than HDDs, and with much longer lifespans.

If you dont know what OP is, it's basically unallocated free space on an SSD, usually at the end of the disk. SSDs use it for "trash pickup".

Lately I have been reading that modern SSDs dont really need this free space. The argument was that if you keep at least 10% free space within the volumes/partitions, then this should suffice just as well for this purpose, vs specifically reserving unallocated space as OP on the disk, that lives outside any partition.

I've always reserved 10% of my SSDs' overall capacity for OP. But this is unallocated space I cant use for anything else.

So...necessary, or not?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 May 2021 - 10:19 AM

Yes.

(the doubt may be on how much of it is needed).

BUT having 10% (or 15%, or whatever) kept free within a volume partition is a good idea to have filesystem efficiency but it has nothing in common with overprovisioning (which level needs to be properly set via - usually - the manufacturer tool, not just "some unused space at the end of the device").

There is a simple, nice document/white paper by Samsung that explains the effects (advantages and disadvantages) of overprovisioning (and how much is advised and why that much is advised):

https://www.samsung....White-paper.pdf

Of course the actual amounts may not be exact/correct for the specific type/brand/model of SSD.

:duff:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users