20 replies to this topic

#1 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hello, first of all excuse me of my english, I'm argentinian.

I have installed Syslinux in my USB drive and I did a menu with various boot options: memtest, Win98 boot disk, XP SP3 live CD and installer of Windows 7 32 bits.

My question is, how can I put various different images of Windows 7 to boot? For example, Windows DaRT, installer of Win 7 32 bits, installer of Win7 64 bits, etc.

Thanks and ask me if you need more information.

#2 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

You can use Syslinux' chain.c32 to boot BootMgr:

LABEL bootmgr

MENU LABEL Windows Boot Manager

COM32 chain.c32

APPEND ntldr=bootmgr

• Josecanalla likes this

#3 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

You can use Syslinux' chain.c32 to boot BootMgr:

LABEL bootmgr

MENU LABEL Windows Boot Manager

COM32 chain.c32

APPEND ntldr=bootmgr

Yes, but how can I boot multiple installers of Windows 7? For example boot Windows 7 32 bits and Windows 7 64 bits.

#4 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Yes, but how can I boot multiple installers of Windows 7? For example boot Windows 7 32 bits and Windows 7 64 bits.

That is outside the scope of Syslinux. You can use BootMgr and a custom BCD to boot as many Windows items as you want.
  • Josecanalla likes this

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

You can chain grub4dos from syslinux - see Tutorial 63 on my site.
Then you can use Tutorial 43 (Vista to Win8) or Tut 63 (XP to Win7) to install as many different Windows install ISOs as you have room for on your USB Flash drive.
  • Josecanalla likes this

#6 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Then you can use Tutorial 43 (Vista to Win8) or Tut 63 (XP to Win7) to install as many different Windows install ISOs as you have room for on your USB Flash drive.

Thanks, I am very busy now but I will try this and then I will comment the results.

#7 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

I follow step by step but when I try to boot Win 7 x64 or x32 installer I've got error 21: Selected disk does not exist.

Windows XP installer works correctly.

How can I do?

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Can you post your menu.lst and which tutorial you have followed. Also what boot device you have, etc.

I would strongly suggest you do not use syslinux, but use grub4dos as the primary bootloader.

#9 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Can you post your menu.lst and which tutorial you have followed. Also what boot device you have, etc.

I would strongly suggest you do not use syslinux, but use grub4dos as the primary bootloader.
You're entitled to this opinion, of course, but I must request that if Josecanalla accepts your suggestion, that you move the discussion to another thread in another forum.

I don't know what the basis of your opinion is, but perhaps it's simply that you've already prepared tutorials for using GRUB4DOS, rather than for using Syslinux.

#10 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sha0

I don't know what the basis of your opinion is, but perhaps it's simply that you've already prepared tutorials for using GRUB4DOS, rather than for using Syslinux.

Jose asked 'how can I install multiple installers of Win7?' and you replied 'That is outside the scope of Syslinux'. 

Well it is not outside the scope of grub4dos (!), which is why I suggested grub4dos as the primary boot loader - from grub4dos he can always chain to syslinux if required.

@Jose - if you need help making a grub4dos multiboot pen, please start a new topic and I (we) will endeavour to help.

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Jose asked 'how can I install multiple installers of Win7?' and you replied 'That is outside the scope of Syslinux'. 

Well it is not outside the scope of grub4dos (!), which is why I suggested grub4dos as the primary boot loader - from grub4dos he can always chain to syslinux if required.

@Jose - if you need help making a grub4dos multiboot pen, please start a new topic and I (we) will endeavour to help.

NO, it is well outside the "main" scope of grub4dos as well, in the sense that what makes the actual "choices" available is the \boot\BCD.

Grub4dos does have more "tricks up it's sleeves" when compared to Syslinux when we are talking of NT based systems, but there is no actual reason why  it should become the "primary" bootloader as it can easily and successfully chainloaded from Syslinux/Isolinux, or if you prefer it works excellently as "secondary" one.

Let's not start a war of the Syslinux vs. grub4dos type, please :), each thingy has it's own features, advantages and what not, it is mostly a matter of tastes.

The OP didn't asked "My question is, how can I put various different images of Windows 7 to boot?" (actually he did ask exactly that ;)) he asked:

I have installed Syslinux in my USB drive and I did a menu with various boot options: memtest, Win98 boot disk, XP SP3 live CD and installer of Windows 7 32 bits.

My question is, how can I put various different images of Windows 7 to boot?

The answer to that (the simpler one) is:

From the Syslinux you already installed you can :

1. load a BOOTMGR with a multichoice \boot\BCD with one entry in it for every NT based system (this might have some limitations)
  2. load a set of BOOTMGR and \boot\BCD files, by using "Boot floppy images" (this might have some limitations)
  3. chainload grub4dos and from it use the above or one of the various available tutorials (this might have some limitations, but several options are available)

The easiest is the last one since these methods that you can find on RMprepUSB site are already detailed and tested, though they are not the "only" way (and not necessarily the "best" way).

Just for the record:

http://reboot.pro/to...ed-to-grub4dos/

:cheers:

Wonko

#12 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Following MSFN forum link will give you an idea of how to edit BCD store to multiboot different wims:

http://www.msfn.org/...der-in-sources/

#13 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Well, I don't have experience in Syslinux or Grub4DOS so that I don't know what is the best option.

I follow the tutorial #63. My USB memory is a Kingston DataTraveler USB 2.0 8 GB (I also have a USB hard drive but the tutorial says what I don't use this).

My Menu.lst is exactly the same of the Tutorial #63.

Thanks to all.

#14 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sorry, I have this error because I boot in QEMU Manager. When I test it in a PC, it works correctly. Thanks! If I need more help I question you...

#15 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Excuse me, but I have new problems.

I have a pendrive of 8GB memory, so that it isn't enough to put the Win7 x32, Win7 x64, XP, Vista, etc installers. I want to put those installers in my Samsung G2 Portable USB hard drive, because it have more space. But RMPrepUSB don't recognize this HDD Portable.

What can I do? Thanks!

Edited by Josecanalla, 17 December 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#16 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

hit ctrl-Z ?

• Josecanalla likes this

#17 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

hit ctrl-Z ?

Thanks!

Edited by Josecanalla, 17 December 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#18 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Note: Tut 63, win 7,8,svr2K8R2 install from ISO does not work if using a USB HDD - the drive must be a 'removable media' drive such as a Flash drive. See the notes in Tut 43 for how to get it working on a USB HDD.

• Josecanalla likes this

#19 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Note: Tut 63, win 7,8,svr2K8R2 install from ISO does not work if using a USB HDD - the drive must be a 'removable media' drive such as a Flash drive. See the notes in Tut 43 for how to get it working on a USB HDD.

I follow the steps of the tutorial 43 (I have a HD Samsung G2 Portable USB) but when I try to boot the Win 7 x32, Win7 x64 or Vista installer, after of click "Install Windows in the GUI", I see the legend "The program installation is initializing" and then the program tells me to charge drivers and I can't continue.

Can you help me? Thanks newly.

Edited by Josecanalla, 17 December 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#20 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

This is now way off topic! Can you start a new topic under rmprepusb?

Describe which of the 4 possible alternatives for HDD boot you used from Tut 43 in a new post.

• Sha0 likes this

#21 Josecanalla

Josecanalla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

This is now way off topic! Can you start a new topic under rmprepusb?

Describe which of the 4 possible alternatives for HDD boot you used from Tut 43 in a new post.

Sorry, I will do this. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bootmgr, syslinux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users