24 replies to this topic

#1 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:53 PM

Dear Erwan

thank you for reactivating the old lady.

3 days online now. :thumbup: :thumbup:

You made our day(s).

• Brito likes this

#2 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for taking so long too (not really). This place needs a real, actual hosting provider with high uptime. Not a bunch of newbs that couldnt run a forum if their lives depended on it.

#3 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:25 PM

Dear Anon,
what I like most about your posts are the pictorial formulations.
But an expression of ingratitude should not be the last word in this thread.
You surely have something better in stock.

T.

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:30 PM

@ReTokener: Pictorial formulations?! What the F is meant by that?! That's the most out of left field comment I've seen in awhile.

Yes, I usually have something better in stock. But not when it comes to Erwan, or gross incompetence in general. I speak my mind and say it how I see it.

#5 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:05 PM

Ah, how u c it, not necessarily how it is.

#6 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:19 PM

@Anon

You speak your mind, I speak my mind -
 and thanks to Erwan we can continue doing so. (At least for now.) :cheers:

#7 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:04 PM

@antonino61: I'm not even going to bother trying to carry on a conversation with you. You're very unknowledgeable, and your English is horrific. I guess I shouldn't expect much from an (I'm guessing) native Italian.

Now, a little philosophy, which I'm sure you know nothing of. Like absolutism, relativism, objectivity, and perception. Very little in this world isn't so much about how things absolutely are, but instead about our perception and how it affects everything we say/do. Just ask a police officer that has taken eyewitness accounts of a crime. They will surely tell you that in many cases, some witnesses gave different accounts of an event. Better to rely on camera footage, if available (although the possibility of tampering exists).

There is also something called selective hearing/vision (can't remember the scientific terms). Basically, we see and hear what we want, while filtering everything else out. Or siding with worldviews that align with one's beliefs, while ignoring others.

If I'm guilty of seeing this matter how I perceive it.....then surely so is everyone else here. It's all part of being fallible humans.

On to something else: I do believe that I had once offered to donate to reboot.pro, so that Nuno could switch to a dedicated, reliable host. Ran by pros that manage the site uptime. With admins/mods handling the day to day affairs.

And being an experienced Web content author and hoster, I'd be willing to switch the site to one of my servers, while keeping the domain name the same. I would of course impose strict conditions, namely myself being appointed as an admin and mod. And the banning of certain members, and purging of long inactive accounts. I'm sure Nuno would never go for this, but the offer is there.

#8 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:22 AM

Some say Shakespeare was Italian.  If I am one of those things u tend to filter out, I would suggest that u should filter me in, instead of foretelling a future banning of my person from ur future domain.

Ps.: who told u I was very unknowledgeable, or ignorant (which I see more like it)? it is not like u to use euphemisms in your hotch-potch fragorous pontification.

#9 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:39 AM

And being an experienced Web content author and hoster, I'd be willing to switch the site to one of my servers, while keeping the domain name the same. I would of course impose strict conditions, namely myself being appointed as an admin and mod. And the banning of certain members, and purging of long inactive accounts. I'm sure Nuno would never go for this, but the offer is there.

Indeed you are making a tempting offer.
It shows your generosity as well as Nuno's backbone that he is turning it down.
Would you move into a house where the landlord decides which of your children may sit at the table?

Regards   T.

#10 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:56 AM

@antonino61: You make lots of unfounded assumptions.

1. I don't give a crap what Shakespeare's national origin was. Besides, his identity was never proven. Some believe his name was a pseudonym of someone else.

2. I never stated that Italians are dumb. Only that your English is lacking. And that I don't expect it to be any better, because English isn't your 1st language.

3. I tend to filter out certain members here based upon what they say, which forms my opinion and dislike of them. And I'm not shy in regards to publicly expressing it. Your lack of proper English and things you say make me think you are stupid, even retarded.

4. I never said I would ban you, even if I could. After all, every forum needs a few fundummies around for people to clown. Who would I rail against if I banned you? (I'm sure I'd find someone, I always do).

5. Noone *TOLD* me anything...read above this line of this post. Ignorant and unknowledgeable can be educated to a degree. But you can't make stupid smarter.

6. "hotch-potch fragorous pontification"...LMFAO...this is obviously a pathetic attempt by you to make yourself sound halfway intelligent. Without consulting a dictionary, please state the abhreviated English definitions of those words...and use proper spelling...I dare you...

@ReTokener: Nice try at an analogy. However, since I don't give a crap about bratty kids, and never plan to marry, then I'm typically the only one that sits at my kitchen table. I'm all for landlords' rights over renters' rights. It's their property, after all, you're merely borrowing it. If you want to dictate who sits at your table, buy the property/land it's on and own it outright.

#11 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:48 AM

do u claim I pretend to be intelligent? ain't that, in and of itself, a sign of intelligence?

#12 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:15 AM

@antonino61: Yes, that's pretty much what I'm saying, in a nutshell. And no, it's definitely not a sign of intelligence.

Case in point: Trump claims there has been massive voter fraud going on, which has cost him the presidency. Since he says it, it must be true...right? I'm just trying to go by your logic here. But the fact of the matter is that the US's 2020 election has been more secure than the others before it. There have been isolated instances of fraud, but surely not enough to change the electoral outcome. Definitely not in the range of hundreds of thousands/millions of fraudulent votes. It is simply impossible to keep fraud of that scale secret, people like to talk, the truth would come out much sooner rather than later. He lost, plain and simple, he just won't accept the results.

And again, would you please define "fragorous" for us? PLEASE, show us your inner genius. I'd really like to see it.

#13 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:05 AM

How can I define a word that does not exist? I just anglicized it

#14 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:31 AM

@antonino61: My point exactly. You use some bogus word that doesn't even exist in any reputable dictionary, probably in an attempt to look smart. But you only managed to accomplish the exact opposite. I don't see how you've Anglicized "it", you even just admitted that it's not a real word. Your statement only makes sense if you're doing this with an actual word.

#15 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:10 AM

The word was anglicized from fragoroso, an Italian word meaning boisterous. Btw, r u a mind operator?

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:16 AM

The word was anglicized from fragoroso, an Italian word meaning boisterous

Well, you owe me 20 bucks.  :whistling:

Spoiler

:duff:

Wonko

#17 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:22 AM

Hahahaha. Language is a live thing.

#18 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:50 AM

At this point I would like to add more verses to my praise song.
First I would like to sing about Nuno's steadfastness against takeover attempts described by @Anon.
I dedicate the refrain to those who work in the background for the continued existence of a jewel among the IT-boards.
In the final chord you can hear astonishment and admiration about how
reboot.pro has come through all these years with great continuity.

Thank you very much   T.

#19 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:44 PM

it also did so by re-tokening itself!!!

#20 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:53 PM

@wonko and whomever else

As a PhD (in ESP), I am entitled to introduce new words (neologismi), provided there were a real conceptual or notional need (vuoto concettuale) without asking any lexicographer about it. of course, the vendetta one was not really really the case, inasmuch as I mighta resorted to any already-existing English adjective - point taken.

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:36 PM

A PhD in Extra Sensory Perceptions?

https://en.wikipedia...sory_perception

Comeon, besides words, you cannot make up UNI courses.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is not any particular void in English for that concept:

https://context.reve...glese/fragoroso

thunderous or resounding are just fine AFAICT.

:duff:

Wonko

#22 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

here is another one that wants to imitate vendetta - can u read what i have written? exactly what u have finished saying. I had no justification for inventing a term without "conceptual void" - exactly as I was saying. thunderous and resounding are synonyms for boisterous, the former being negative and the latter being positive in connotation, but I deem boisterous to be more like anthony. As regards ESP, it stands not only for what u said, but also for English for Special Purposes. BTW, who told u I could not "make up UNI courses"?  I am afraid u underrate me.

#23 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:59 PM

POPULAR

Wow...

Long day, etc and I thought that I would relax and check it out of there only to see that the top thread had my name in there !

With great curiosity I started to see what it was about to finally stumble upon Anon's posts :)

Anyway, I have learned a long time ago to ignore these.

There are people who will help and old lady to cross the street and there are people who will yell at the old lady for being old : so goes the world.

More important, biggest thanks goes to the seniors out there like Nuno (without whom this forum would not exist), Wonko (our "mentore", our "saggio"), Retokener, Alacran, Wimb, Antonino, Steve6375 - and all the many other great contributors over here I could not enumerate - constantly sharing, supporting, coming with new tools and ideas, etc.

Enjoy a great forum guys and lets see what 2021 brings on to us.

And in the meantime, lets get back to work by throwing out new challenges/findings !

Cheers,

Erwan

• Brito, wimb, Tokener and 1 other like this

#24 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

higher aims ahead!!! For quite a while, my challenge has been shrinking and speeding up the system as much as possible. This challenge actually started quite a few years ago from my conviction that the system is first and foremost the little software it takes for it to boot up. of course, this extreme (radical) idea derived from another conviction: that most of what is called os is not actually needed for everyday purposes. What was strange to me was that if u tried successive version of windows, you would have as many instances of program files, program files (x86), programdata, never mind windows itself and users, all of them as many as the number of versions u would try out. at least, some users subfolders have location options, so I started looking for a command, an instruction that would enable u to extend the feature to any other folder, but to no avail. the only thing that I managed to resort to was junctions, so I started moving folders about according to a personal criterion (what was strictly user-bound ahead of what was system-bound). little by little I found myself with more and  more work folders and windows subfolders off C:\ onto another drive (say D:\), all of them obviously junctioned back to c:\, which only held what was needed for the system to boot up. I found myself having more "control" of what was here and what was there, bumped into reboot.pro and told most of u about it. one of u eventually said to me what I was trying to achieve "manually" was done more neatly and systematically with wimboot, which completely changed my way of looking at an OS. I have learned quite a lot these years. and I am still convinced that some more can be taken out for the system to work the same or better.

• Brito likes this

#25 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:49 AM

@ erwan.l

My friend, this is just to comment the now usual problems, when loading a new post, and when adding an attachment to a new post.are back again.

alacran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users