#1 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:32 AM

There are many ways and tools out there to do this but on this tutorial we are going to focus on doing it using a Microsoft product specially made for this purpose(Windows 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL).

To use this tool you need to have an (ISO image) of the Windows 7 installation files, I will assume in this tutorial that you do not have an ISO image of the Windows 7 installation files, but you do have a Windows 7 Installation DVD.

So we will first need to make an ISO image of that Windows 7 DVD that you have, then we can later start using the Microsoft tool we mentioned above.

If you are working from a Windows XP/Server 2003 you will need the following:
================================================================
1- Administrator privileges.(you are an admin on your pc)
2- 4 GB or better USB 2.0 or better thumb drive.
3- Windows 7 Installation DVD media.
4- Download & Install the free (ISO Recorder v 2) from HERE
5- Download & Install (Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0) from HERE.
6- Download & Install (Microsoft Image Mastering API v2.0) from HERE.
7- Download & Install (Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool) from HERE.
8- Reboot when necessary in steps above before proceeding with this tutorial.

If you are working from a Windows Vista/ 7 /Server2008 you will need:
===========================================================
1- Turn off the UAC (User Account Control) from control panel and reboot.
2- 4 GB or Better USB 2.0 or better thumb drive.
3- Windows 7 Installation DVD media.
4- Download & Install (ISO Recorder v 3.1) from HERE.
5- Download & Install (Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool) from HERE.

Make the Windows 7 ISO Image

=================================================

Earlier you should have installed the ISO Recorder program I told you about, and sure you have noticed that no shortcut on desktop or on the start menu programs is created, nor there is any uninstall option for the program in the add/remove programs in control panel, that’s because the program uninstall is when you try to install it again, there when you see an uninstall option, also no shortcut to use the program because the program is integrated in the shell context menu, means it works with the right click, let’s see how:

A- Right click on any drive or folder in your pc and you will see the option (Create ISO Image file).

Posted Image

B- Right click on the any CD or DVD in the CD/DVD-ROM drive and you will see two options (Create image from CD/DVD)&(Copy CD to CD).

Posted Image

C- If you already have any ISO image and you right click on it you will see the option (Copy image to CD/DVD).

Posted Image

- So now you know how the program works and its options, what we are going to use is the option in step ( B ) above, so go ahead and right click on the Windows 7 DVD you have and choose the option (Create image from CD/DVD).

- The ISO Recorder program will start, and you should provide the path of the Windows 7 DVD Installation Media in the From path (In my case it’s the G drive, yours could be different drive), then provide a name and path for the ISO image that will be created (In my case the name is Windows7.iso, and the destination path is the desktop).then click the next button.

Posted Image

- The program will start copying files from the DVD drive to the desktop, and you will notice that the Windows 7 ISO image onto desktop is being built.

Posted Image

- Press the Finish button when done to close & exit the ISO Recorder. Now the Windows 7 ISO image is ready onto your desktop for the next step.

Posted Image

Windows 7 on USB thumb drive – the making

=============================================

- Earlier I told you to download the (Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool) & Install it on your pc, if you have done so, then it’s time to work with, so go ahead and execute the program from its shortcut on the desktop, the program will start, browse to the Windows 7 ISO image on your desktop that you just made in the steps above, and hit next:

Posted Image

- In step 2 of the program choose the USB device button:

Posted Image

- In Step 3 you should tell the program where is your USB thumb drive, and hit the Begin copying button:

Posted Image

- If your USB device have some files in it and there is no space left you would see this warning message will pop up telling you that there is no enough free space for the files, and you would see a button to start erasing the USB device, go on and click on that button if you are sure you don’t need the files already there in the thumb drive:

Posted Image

- Another confirmation window will pop up informing you that all files in the USB thumb drive will be erased, hit on the Yes button if you are sure:

Posted Image

- The program will start to format the thumb drive:

Posted Image

- Then will start to copy the files from the ISO image on desktop to the thumb drive in step 4:

Posted Image

- When done and you see that the operation is complete close the program :

Posted Image

- Now the USB thumb drive is bootable & ready with all the necessary Windows 7 installation files inside it, and the files should look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

- Now it’s time to test drive this USB thumb drive, go ahead boot your pc with this thumb drive, you should see the following Installation process of Windows 7:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

==============================================================
- Note: that I have previously covered similar subjects with different methods and tools:
1- Windows Vista or 7 on a USB thumb drive HERE.
2- Windows XP on USB thumb drive HERE.
3- Windows XP + Windows Vista or 7 on USB thumb drive HERE.
4- All in 1 Mission Impossible USB thumb drive HERE.
My Other Topics & Tutorials HERE
Stay Safe Online
Check Your PC from Viruses Free HERE
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Files

• Uvais likes this

#2 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering, DIY - home & cars age:38
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

So if I understand correctly, this tutorial allows you install Win7 onto a pc from a usb flash drive instead of using the dvd. (Since there are ways to boot & run Windows from the usb drive itself, I found the title & desciption to be a little ambiguous :cheers: )

Windows 7 Installation from USB thumb drive

#3 shiggidy_

shiggidy_

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
    Solomon Islands

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

thnx jamal..top tutorial :D

#4 Hima

Hima

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

very nice tutorial usualy Gamal

i will tried it

thank u

:cheers: :D

#5 agni

agni

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 270 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

Please change the title to Install Windows 7 from USB.
It is not Windows 7 on USB.
There is already a detailed thread about installing Windows 7 from USB at http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=6800

If you want Windows 7 on USB (minimum of 8GB),read the following threads

Boot Windows 7 from USB hard disk by karyonix

Boot and run Windows 7 from USB hard disk by Marietto2009

Boot existing installation of Windows Vista/7 from USB storage with PWBoot

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

You have high hopes! I and others have asked before for other misleading titles...
Multi-boot XP + Vista or 7 from 1 USB thumb drive
Windows XP from a USB thumb drive-How to make
Windows 7 or Vista on USB thumb drive - How to make

#7 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:08 AM

أشكرك يا أخي الكريم وأهلا بك من مصر ( أجدع ناس ) بلدي الأول الذي ولدت ونشأت وترعرت فيه--مرحبا بك في هذا الموقع--نعم أنه موقع متميز لمايضم فيه نخبة كبيرة من أهم المبرمجين والمطورين والتقنيين في البرامجيات والحاسوب والانترنت--شكرا-وأتمنى لك وقتا طيبا ومفيدا

#8 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:30 AM

1-agni,thank you for your suggestion about changing the title of the tutorial, but I find it accurate, and what you are suggesting is the result of the tutorial, any process should be named by it's steps, not by its results or what you are intending to do with the result.But in the end, each person has his own point of view of naming things. :)
2- this tutorial is intended for beginners, as the title sais, and as you know there are many ways to do Windows on USB, and I covered the best of those ways in previous tutorials, you can find them HERE, and HERE, and HERE, and HERE, and I can do more if I find necessary or someone ask for another different method.
3- thank you again for your post, and also thank you for your very usefull website, it's one of my top 30 favorites. :D

#9 fxchby

fxchby

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

very nice jamal thnx :D

#10 Hima

Hima

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

أشكرك يا أخي الكريم وأهلا بك من مصر ( أجدع ناس ) بلدي الأول الذي ولدت ونشأت وترعرت فيه--مرحبا بك في هذا الموقع--نعم أنه موقع متميز لمايضم فيه نخبة كبيرة من أهم المبرمجين والمطورين والتقنيين في البرامجيات والحاسوب والانترنت--شكرا-وأتمنى لك وقتا طيبا ومفيدا

كم انا سعيد بهذا الرد الجميل وليس هذا غريب على المصريين والعرب جميعا ولكن عندى سؤال هل اشتركت فى يوما ما فى منتديات عربية
فسوف يستفيد الكثير من علمك خاصة فى التعامل مع الفلاشات وتحقيق اقصى استفادة منها
مرة اخرى احييك على الرد والمواضيع الجميلة التى تطرحها
بارك الله فيك وزادك علما
وشكرا لك

#11 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:57 AM

أشكرك مرة أخرى--بالنسبة لأشتراكي بالمواقع العربية لم يحصل لاني لااعرف ان كان هناك مواقع عربية جادة ورصينة وليست مليئة بالاعلانات المزعجه وطلبات التسجيل والخ من الازعاجات التي يمكن ان تراها باي موقع عربي للاسف--لكن هذا لايمنع اني احب ان يطلع اخواننا على هذا الموقع وعلى المواضيع التدريبية التي اقدمها ليستفيدوا منها--خاصة ان عدد منها هو من انتاجي الخاص ولم يسبق ان وجد بأي مكان آخر على النت--أضافه كون هذا الموقع--ربما من اهم المواقع الاجنبية التي تضم عددا كبيرا جدا من المبرمجين الذين من الممكن الاستفاده من خبراتهم بشكل كبير--فان كنت لديك اشتراكات في المواقع العربيه فلا مانع ان تقوم انت بالدور التعريفي بهذا الموقع وبالمواضيع التي قدمتها--كي تعم الفائدة اكثر--اشكرك مرة ثانيه واتمنى لك وقتا مفيدا وطيبا

#12 Hima

Hima

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

اسف على التأخير فى الرد شكرا كثيرا لك على ذوقك الرفيع ومواضوعاتك الجميلة استاذى جمال
واتمنى ان تكون فى تمام الصحة والعافية وتحياتى اليك
ابراهيم من مصر

شكرا

#13 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:08 AM

Awesome :1st:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users