Photo
- - - - -

Where is the ImDisk user guide for dummies?

imdisk user guide for dummies

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

I want to simply download and install the software.

I want to enter the amount of RAM to allocate.

I want to assign a drive letter.

Then click OKAY.

Then I want to see the RAM Drive in My Computer.

Pretty simple, eh?  But maybe the GUI isn't there yet?

So, I'm a dummy.  What are the step by step instructions to do this.

Here's the idea:

Download the software from here:   _(url)________

Place it on your hard drive here:  _____________

Run it by doing the following:  _____(double click icon?)___________

Enter the amount of RAM to allocate:   __GB

Enter the Drive letter to assign:  __

Click Okay.

Now look in My Computer to see your new RAM drive.

(Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit)

Here is another option:  Click this button to completely deallocate / remove the RAM Drive.

The simpler it is the more people will use it and recommend it to others and hopefully donate to the cause.

Thanks.

Edited by jjohnson, 17 May 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

I would recommend the ImDisk Toolkit.

http://reboot.pro/fi...imdisk-toolkit/

#3 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

I would recommend the ImDisk Toolkit.

http://reboot.pro/fi...imdisk-toolkit/

I downloaded the file and it failed repeatedly to install.

I might add that a few months ago whatever version was downloadable then,

I was able to install it and it did create the RAM Drive.  But not now.

It either fails because it can't create the Temp file or it can't mount.

I am using a Windows XP SP3 32-bit w/ 1GB RAM laptop.

Is this download 32-bit or 64-bit or both;  it detemines your OS and installs approriately?

When I am through I will post the User Guide for Dummies I determine on this site.

Thanks.

#4 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Alright, I see. I would think that what you are probably looking for then, is a "ImDisk troubleshooter guide for dummies". I mean, most users, "dummies" or otherwise, usually just download ImDisk Toolkit and use it, or just download the ImDisk driver and use the Control Panel applet. But, in case this does not work for whatever reason like in your case now, there is not much help written down anywhere. So I really appreciate your idea about posting some guide for resolving this here when you have found out what went wrong and how to fix it.

But I do not think that it would be a good idea to just call it a "User Guide for Dummies", because that sounds like something that all new users would need to go through. That is not true and would just give the impression that everything is a lot more complicated than it usually is. Like I said, this works in most cases out-of-the-box, with no additional steps needed. But it would still be great to show new or experienced users that there is help available in case something fails.

Just spontaneous thoughts I wanted to share. I still think that many users would really appreciate a "for dummies" guide like this, whatever it is called.

:cheers:

#5 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

I downloaded the file and it failed repeatedly to install.
I might add that a few months ago whatever version was downloadable then,
I was able to install it and it did create the RAM Drive.  But not now.

It either fails because it can't create the Temp file or it can't mount.

I am using a Windows XP SP3 32-bit w/ 1GB RAM laptop.

Is this download 32-bit or 64-bit or both;  it detemines your OS and installs approriately?

When I am through I will post the User Guide for Dummies I determine on this site.

Thanks.

What do you mean by "failed repeatedly to install"?

If you get a message about .NET Framework 4, please read it properly. If you don't have .NET Framework 4 and choose Yes or Cancel, the install will not be complete.
But if you only need a ramdisk, you also can uncheck the second component ("DiscUtils library"), and the install should finish properly without this message.

#6 R o x

R o x
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Taiwan

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

hi, to be honoust I can follow JJohnson request for a step by step tutorial (for dummies like me)

for instance i'd love my ramdisk save to the HD what's on it and reload the image at system boot ...

yes, I followed instructions here http://reboot.pro/to...qs-and-how-tos/

but I couldn't get it done ...

thanks ia!

#7 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

hi, to be honoust I can follow JJohnson request for a step by step tutorial (for dummies like me)

for instance i'd love my ramdisk save to the HD what's on it and reload the image at system boot ...

yes, I followed instructions here http://reboot.pro/to...qs-and-how-tos/

but I couldn't get it done ...

thanks ia!

What you are talking about here would indeed be a usage guide "for dummies". That is something that I agree would be very useful. What "JJohnson" is talking about however, sounds more like some kind of guide to troubleshooting problems like the one he has experienced. What I meant here, was that things like that is not something everyone of "dummies" would need to go through.

#8 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

As I mentioned above, I was able to install ImDisk a few months ago and I was able to create a RAM disk.

I did check and I do have Micorsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed.

When I said "repeatedly failed," I meant after failing once then uninstalling, trying to install again and failing, then being unable

to uninstall completely and removing the files manually, etc.

So I figured it best that I restore my hard drive.

Perhaps I acquired a virus, malware, adware, etc. over the past several months that corrupted my system.

This did the trick.  So I have now successfully installed the full ImDisk package.

I created a functioning RAM disk.

So I am ready to proceed.

So, even after reading over this entire site, could someone please tell me, for example:

How to run my installed, licensed, and activated Adobe Photoshop from a RAM disk, including

any recommended best practices.

Thanks.

#9 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

I ran CrystalDiskMark on my lame laptop

Here are the ImDisk results: 

C:drive / RAM disc

32.69 / 811.9    26.17 / 456.6

20.44 / 887.1    20.23 / 506.5

0.426 / 256.1    0.845 / 230.7

0.556 / 207.4    0.880 / 187.6

For a any newbie these comparative results should be of interest.

Edited by jjohnson, 21 May 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#10 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Now I ran CrystalDiskMark on my New Desktop

Here are the ImDisk results:

5, 1000MB,  C: 6% (14 / 238GB)

C:drive / RAM disk

522.9 / 6344    505.3 / 8981

463.0 / 6182    485.0 / 8771

27.71 / 807.7    65.15 / 703.5

282.5 / 1474    248.1 / 1201

For a any newbie these comparative results should be of additional interest.

#11 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

I looked over this website and Google and all I found were suggestions for using a RAM disk

amounting to assigning your Pagefile or temp file, etc. to it.

So I used some common sense and here I will explicitly tell any newbie how they can use

their RAM disk:

A simple example is go to your C: (root) drive and go to Windows.  There you will find the

NOTEPAD.EXE.application.  Right mouse button down drag the app to your RAM disk and

copy drop it.  You have just copied the entire NotePad app into the RAM disk.  Double

click the app.  Now you are running NotePad from your RAM disk.  Write your text and save 

to your RAM disk.  When finished you can copy your text file to more permanent storage.

A more substantial example:  On my desktop I created a 56 GB RAM disk.  I copied the entire

SonyMovieStudioPlatinum12 app folder into the RAM disk.  I copied a 2:46 1080p 24fps

MTS source video file into the RAM disk.  I located the Movie Studio .exe file in the RAM folder. 

I ran the app and converted the MTS video file to uncompressed .avi 1080p 24fps saving it

to the RAM disk in 0:41.  (Using my SSD it took 1:01.  The SSD is really fast, too.)

I've posted these .avi conversion times from memory but tomorrow I will post again with another

example and confirm the above stats.

#12 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I created a 56 GB RAM disk.

I copied the entire folder - MovieStudioPlatinum12Suite (1.41 GB) to the RAM disk.
So the entire MovieStudio software is stored and run from the RAM disk.

I copied a 5:00 MTS AVCHD 29.970fps 1080-60i video clip (815MB) to the RAM disk.

It took 1:32 to render this 5:00 MTS clip to uncompressed 1080p 30fps .avi

52.2 GB (56,057,654,784 bytes) and saved to the RAM disk.

So this is how one can use a RAM disk and this is the kind of performance one can achieve.

- Asus P9x79WS, Intel i7 3930k overclocked to 4.5 GHz, 64GB GSkill 2133 RAM,

Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512 GB, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Asus GTX 670 -

What else is ImDisk being used for and what are the steps involved?

#13 R o x

R o x
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Taiwan

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

... all I will say is, add another 840 pro for the RAID0; ask for an updated BIOS with TRIM-ready IRST here:

http://www.overclock...dated-raid-orom

- get Windows 8 (much faster OS than 7 !)

and you're good to go ! :1st:

#14 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

What else is ImDisk being used for and what are the steps involved?

ImDisk are as far as I know used for at least these general things:

• Mounting CD/DVD images (.iso etc) as read-only virtual DVD drives.
  • Mounting floppy images or hard disk volume images as virtual drives for data recovery of various kinds, or for just emulating a floppy drive when such a one is needed.
  • Editing files within floppy images or hard disk volume images by mounting as read/write virtual drives.
  • Work with a memory copy of a floppy or hard disk volume image, to make sure that an original image is not changed.

Particularly CD/DVD image mounting is often done with a subdirectory as mount point, instead of a drive letter.

Then, we have a couple of more advanced usages, probably not considered "for dummies":

• Remote mount a disk volume or disk volume image on another computer on the network, using tcp/ip communication between client and server.
  • Mount disk image files of various formats, for example from virtualization applications, such as vhd, vdi, vmdk etc. Such image files are usually accessed through the DiscUtils library, with a small service application in-between, that translates ImDisk I/O requests to DiscUtils API.
  • And probably many more...

Which ones do you think would be of interest for a "usage guide for dummies"? I would guess that the first four items should be described to make a usage guide useful. It could also be useful to mention at least some of the others, but probably more like referring to examples from blogs or forums, or something like that.

:cheers:

#15 jjohnson

jjohnson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

I really feel constrained with only 64 GB RAM.

I think a minimum of 256 GB of onboard RAM is more useful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imdisk, user guide, for dummies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users