Guides about TFTPD32 and PXE LAN booting

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi,

Since there are a lot of situations where TFTPD32 can be used to boot from LAN, I tought it would be a good idea to start here a small list of links pointing to quick guides showing how to use PXE and TFTPD32.

Some links might have grown outdated, if you know better pages - please post them on this topic too.. :cheers:

Definition of PXE on Wikipedia

BartPE
Pxe Booting Pe Using Tftpd32
Pxe bartpe server Booting BartPe Using Tftpd32

The Winner Project

WINNER is a different way to set up a RIS Server. Basically, it gives you the possibility to deploy an unattended installation of Windows XP over a LAN

Youtube

PXE Booting

More links will be added with time..

:cheers:

#2 lundholmster

lundholmster
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

Any more good links?

#3 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

I used RCollewijn's:
http://www.collewijn...e/tftpd_ris.php

#4 romsempire

romsempire

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

I think the best link is WUIM when site and utility will be completed.

#5 kloudfreak

kloudfreak
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

I looked at a lot of these guides to set up my TFTP server for the first time, but I didn't find any of them to be 100% complete. Sure there were useful things in each one, but I did not feel any of them to be a sit down, here's all the steps to do it walkthrough. So I made one.

This guide will hopefully show anyone how to take a blank XP box, and end up with a fully functioning TFTPD32 based server. I did extend it a little bit to include how to slipstream a lot of XP drivers into the install, as well as sample files to make it fully unattended. This is the exact method I used to create a server that rolls out completely unattended installs, including drivers, and with use of the $OEM$ folder, automate complete applications and registry tweaks. With enough time, you can customize it to have a one or two keystroke complete isntall, without using ghost.

This is the first guide I've ever written. Any input would be nice.
  • Libertarian likes this

#6 Tim1981

Tim1981
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

Kloudfreak,

Great guide you have written :cheers:

It also works on a W2003 server. I have modified your guide a bit to include the possibility to make the TFTPD32 and BINL servers running as windows services, eliminating the need to start them yourself and also running them silent.

You can also use the TFTP server from Bootix if you already have a DHCP server running on the same system:
http://www.bootix.co...es/admidemo.zip

#7 romsempire

romsempire

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

Kloudfreak,

It also works on a W2003 server. I have modified your guide a bit to include the possibility to make the TFTPD32 and BINL servers running as windows services, eliminating the need to start them yourself and also running them silent.

You can also use the TFTP server from Bootix if you already have a DHCP server running on the same system:

Good tutorials.
I'd like to integrate all driverpacks with tftpd32 unattended install. Is it possible?
Perhaps it's possible use Autoimage to integrate Driverpacks?

#8 Tim1981

Tim1981
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

Good tutorials.
I'd like to integrate all driverpacks with tftpd32 unattended install. Is it possible?
Perhaps it's possible use Autoimage to integrate Driverpacks?

Yes it is possible, look over at http://forum.driverp...c.php?pid=15764 for the current discussion about it.

#9 kloudfreak

kloudfreak
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:39 AM

Kloudfreak,

I know I tried using Srvany to run them as a service, but I ran into issues with it. I dont recall at this time what the exact issues were, but I do know it had something to do with trying to relaunch the service and failing, or it had issues responding to TFTP. I was doing the greatest part of this remotely (RDP), and I believe the issue arose when restarting the server, logging in remotely, then logging in on the machine. I'll have to retest it to figure out the exact issue, but I could not get it to work 100% of the time. At some point it would time out, causing me to have to kill the service and then restart it. I ended up just dropping it into the startup folder and using AutoAdminLogon in the registry.

--Side note. Thank you for the feedback as well as the updates to it :cheers::cheers:

#10 Tim1981

Tim1981
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

--Side note. Thank you for the feedback as well as the updates to it :cheers::cheers:

No problem :cheers:

I got it working also with RyanVM's update pack and complete driversupport from driverpacks.net. What I exactly did is described here:

http://forum.driverp...c.php?pid=15764

If anyone else can try that out as well as give some feeback? :cheers:

#11 romsempire

romsempire

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

No problem :cheers:

I got it working also with RyanVM's update pack and complete driversupport from driverpacks.net. What I exactly did is described here:

http://forum.driverp...c.php?pid=15764

If anyone else can try that out as well as give some feeback? :cheers:

So you say to integrate massstorage drivers with Driverpack method 1, the rest with Nlite.
Righ?

#12 burn84

burn84
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

hey kloudfreak,

I am trying to install WinXP(My Desktop running Windows XP) thru network on my laptop(now running Ubuntu7.10gutsy), which CDROM isnt working anymore, NO FDD, and no USB Support(didnt update BIOS..dumb i know).

So i followed your Guide that you posted and I came across this error on step no 12:

Traceback <most recent call last>:
File "c:\BINL\infparser.py", line 294, in <module>
devlist.update(scan_inf((inffile))
File "c:\BINL\infparser.py", line 238, in scan_inf
service = tmp[0]
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

It doesnt create 2 new files in the C:\BINL folder called devlist.cache and nics.txt

So i stopped here just in case.Your help would be much appreciated.

#13 kal2

kal2
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi

PLEASE HELP !!

I have followed the

"Guide_From_Base_Install_for_Fully_Unattended_Windows_Installs_Using_TFTPD32
.doc"

to install windows XP via PXE booting. I can get the client computer to start loading windowsPE part of the installation (the windows XP logo screen with the moving gray progress bar and black background) but nothing happens. It just stays on that screen and the gray bar just keeps moving, there is not data transered over the network.

I have set up the server PC as outlined in the guide (on a windows XP Pro box) and can get the client PC to PXE boot, load the widows setup files (the usual initial blue screen you get when xp is loading basic drivers, etc.)

The 2 PCs are connected via a cross over cable.

The only thing is that when I have the settings in TFTPD32 to "Bind TFTP to address" and "Bind DHCP to Address", as instructed to in the guide, I cannot get the client to PXE boot at all (it just hangs at the boot screen.

However, when I uncheck these settings in TFTPD32 the client will PXE boot, then I can select winXP from the lunix menu, then the "boot disk" part of windows will load (the blue screen loading the drivers etc.), but when it starts windows setup (the windows XP logo screen with the moving gray progress bar and black background) nothing happens, it just hangs !!

Any help will be most welcome and i thank you in advance.

Kal ...

#14 hondaman

hondaman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

I looked at a lot of these guides to set up my TFTP server for the first time, but I didn't find any of them to be 100% complete. Sure there were useful things in each one, but I did not feel any of them to be a sit down, here's all the steps to do it walkthrough. So I made one.

This guide will hopefully show anyone how to take a blank XP box, and end up with a fully functioning TFTPD32 based server. I did extend it a little bit to include how to slipstream a lot of XP drivers into the install, as well as sample files to make it fully unattended. This is the exact method I used to create a server that rolls out completely unattended installs, including drivers, and with use of the $OEM$ folder, automate complete applications and registry tweaks. With enough time, you can customize it to have a one or two keystroke complete isntall, without using ghost.

Thank you very much for this tutorial. I am a rank amateur to this whole remote boot/install thing, and thus relying 100% on your tutorial. Please be gentle with me if some of the things I say sound stupid, as if I should know better, because I dont to be honest :whistling:

#1 The tutorial assumes you have 2 nics on your server? This part kind of confused me. I added another NIC, and setup the IP's according to your guide. Therefore, everything I am doing is now on its own private issolated network, as I dont know how to integrate your ip's into my lan, which is 192.168.0.x

#2 The "bind to" addresses in tftpd are different in your screen shot as compared to what you list in the text of the documentation, 192.168.5.1 vs 192.168.6.1

#3 This part really confused me: "I name my files in ways that I can understand exactly what version of Windows the files are for.
For example: XPP, XPPRO = XP Professional or XPO could stand for Xp Professinal OEM
You can use whatever name you want, the main thing to keep is the size of the name. For example if the name has 5 letters (NTLDR) then the name you need to use needs 5 letters (WXPOA, XPOEM)"

Which files are you renaming?

#4 This step doesnt make sense to me:

"D:
CD\
CD RIS
CD XPSP2
Expand -r D:\RIS\XPProSP2\STARTROM.N1_
Expand -r D:\RIS\XPProSP2\SETUPLDR.EX _
"

There isnt a directory called XPSP2. Did you mean, "CD XPProSP2"? In the screen shot accompanying this portion of the guide, there is only a directory called "XPSP2", and not one called "XPProSP2" like the guide told me to make.

#5 In this step:

"1.Open XPP.0 with a hex editor and do a find and replace of NTLDR with XPPRO (Should be 3 replacements) then save (Windows 2000 has 4 replacements)
2.Open XPPRO with a hex editor and do a find and replace of ntdetect.com with ntdetect.XPP (Should be 3 replacements) Also do a find and replace of winnt.sif with xppro.sif (Should be 8 replacements) then save"

I didnt have 3 replacements for step 1. I only had 2, and in step 2, I didnt have 8 replacements (and I cant remember how many I actually had, I'll have to repeat it to give you a number)

#6 Some more path problems I dont understand:

"[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions = "/fastdetect"
; Needed for first stage
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\**SERVERNAME**\RemInst\XPSP2"

[data]
floppyless = "1"
msdosinitiated = "1"
; Needed for second stage
OriSrc = "\\**SERVERNAME**\RemInst\XPSP2\i386"
OriTyp = "4"
LocalSourceOnCD = 1
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[UserData]
ComputerName = *
"

I'm trying to translate this (being the amateur I am) but it seems to me its pointing to a directory called "XPSP2", which the guide didnt have us create, and doesnt exist. Am I correct, or missing something entirely.

#7 "1.Copy the contents of C:\BINL\SYS to D:\RIS\XPSP2\i386"

Another path problem?

So after following your guide the best I could, the end result is the target computer (the one I am trying to do a remote boot/install on) gets the XP_Pro option screen, and then says "TFTPD failed" The TFTPD logs says:
"Read request for file <ntldr> mode octet [13/08 21:16:28:796]
File <ntldr> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified [13/08 21:16:28.796]"

And now I'm stuck. I dont know what to do, or how to fix it. It probably should be mentioned that I am using an XP SP3 cd that I slipstreamed with nlite, so its not XP SP2 as the guide assumes. If you could offer a bit of advice, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

#15 jhaggenjos

jhaggenjos
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

There are definitely path inconsistencies in the walkthrough posted. I'm trying to squash them on my machine but I'm not sure it's the entire problem. Mine tried to run setup after selecting XPPro from the menu upon booting, then I'm pretty sure I saw the "Setup is inspecting your configuration" message (although on a black screen not a blue one) for a split second and then my test pc rebooted and now won't finish pxe booting for some reason. Going home, will mess with it tomorrow...

#16 scorpion250

scorpion250
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi there,

I've got the same problem as Kal2.
Ist there any fix for this issue. I tried to Install XP with SP3 slipstreamed by NLite

:poke:

Thanks

#17 orions

orions

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

I think the best link is WUIM when site and utility will be completed.

Hi,

I've just downloaded your guide to PXE installs using TFTPD32. Thanks for posting it. I have been facing problems using TFTPD32v3.29 to image systems. If I try imaging a single system, everything is fine. When I try imaging several systems simultaneously (4 - 16 systems), all systems receive the PXE menu image. Once the menu selection is made, manually or automatically, the first three or four systems receive the boot image, but the rest do not. They seem to hang indefinitely.

All target systems are identical. Any comments will be appreciated -- please email me at jcarri@digipos-solutions.com

Have a great day! Regards,
Joe

#18 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

I've just downloaded your guide to PXE installs using TFTPD32. Thanks for posting it. I have been facing problems using TFTPD32v3.29 to image systems. If I try imaging a single system, everything is fine. When I try imaging several systems simultaneously (4 - 16 systems), all systems receive the PXE menu image. Once the menu selection is made, manually or automatically, the first three or four systems receive the boot image, but the rest do not. They seem to hang indefinitely.

All target systems are identical. Any comments will be appreciated -- please email me at someone@somesite.com

Have a great day! Regards,
Joe

Joe,
I see that you are a smart guy :good:, who was able to find the bugmenot account for boot-land.

But you see, this place is a Community, we like to have members, that exchange publicly infos and opinions/ideas, not people using "anonymous" access requiring help through e-mail.

jaclaz
  • Libertarian likes this

#19 andriusst

andriusst

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Lithuania

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hi everyone. I can see most of people go through the same pain when they try to set up a PXE server for BartPE or unattended Windows installs. There are quite many steps involved so there's a huge margin for an error. Is there no tool or script that could do it all automatically?

#20 Perez12

Perez12
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

I followed kloudfreaks step by step guide and after some problem I made a working RIS.

I made some modifications and corrections in the guide.

I'm new here and I don't know how to attach file more than 1000k.

Perez

P.S.: by jaclaz
File added. ;)
I too have a 2 Mb limit, the thingy barely fits compressed with 7-zip

#21 Perez12

Perez12
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

I just found some errors in the 'corrected' guide:

In the 'Configure TFTPD32' section:

the wrong: Cind TFTP to address: 192.168.6.1
the good: Bind TFTP to address: 192.168.5.1
the wrong: Bind DHCP to Address: 192.168.6.1
the good: Bind DHCP to Address: 192.168.5.1

In the 'Preparing the Install Folder of XP' section:

the wrong: 3.Move the following files from D:\RIS\XPSP3\i386 to D:\RIS\XPSP3
the good: 3.Copy the following files from D:\RIS\XPSP3\i386 to D:\RIS\XPSP3

Perez

#22 bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 230 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

However, when I uncheck these settings in TFTPD32 the client will PXE boot, then I can select winXP from the lunix menu, then the "boot disk" part of windows will load (the blue screen loading the drivers etc.), but when it starts windows setup (the windows XP logo screen with the moving gray progress bar and black background) nothing happens, it just hangs !!

Any help will be most welcome and i thank you in advance.

Kal ...

turn Simple File Sharing on

and share this folder RIS on the network

#23 julie

julie
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

hello,can we boot the .dsk files which size>3g from lan by tftpd32?and do we have such guides?maybe we can use method we haved and what steps i should do?could you give me some help and thanks very much!

#24 julie

julie
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

Since there are a lot of situations where TFTPD32 can be used to boot from LAN, I tought it would be a good idea to start here a small list of links pointing to quick guides showing how to use PXE and TFTPD32.

Some links might have grown outdated, if you know better pages - please post them on this topic too.. :lol:

Definition of PXE on Wikipedia

BartPE
Pxe Booting Pe Using Tftpd32
Pxe bartpe server Booting BartPe Using Tftpd32

The Winner Project

Youtube

PXE Booting
<object width="630" height="475"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/tB29_Swl2eE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="630" height="475"></embed></object>

More links will be added with time..

:lol:

hello,any pxe server can boot dsk files which>3g?

#25 ColMaki

ColMaki
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

the guide is completly outdated. the syslinux package doens't conatin the files mentioned. also the versions of python are much more newer. the rislinux package is 0.4 .

Please rewrite this guide as it seems the only way to install XP over LAN.

another remark: when I change the IP address of the NIC, I lose internet connectivity. is this necessary?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users