Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 135 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

@ded

Ok, i see, thanks a lot... :dubbio:

Iv'e tried to change the settings for ded0000 and ded0006 at the bottom of my menu.lst:
# DED-GFX-Menu Config:

# --------------------

title [ded0000] :41:s.menu.max.entries=12 :42:s.menu.start.x=0 :43:s.menu.start.y=150 :54:s.menu.bar.width=400 :46:s.menu.back.color=0x4b708b :06:s.clock.back=0x0 :16:s.date.back=0x0

configfile /menu.lst

#title [ded0006] :08:s.timer.num.color=0xffffff

#configfile /menu.lst
If the lines for the ded0006 settings are commented out (like obove), the settings for ded0000 works, but if i uncomment lines for the ded0006 settings,
the ded0000 settings revert to the defaults, but the new color for ded0006 is set.

Is it not possible to change settings for more then one dedxxxx with technical entry's in menu.lst?

fuwi

#27 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

Is it not possible to change settings for more then one dedxxxx with technical entry's in menu.lst?
fuwi

Try this example 
The archive includes  gfxboot (@DED-LEGO@) and a menu example (@DED@.lst:hi:

Look also here at this tool   :dubbio:

Edited by ded, 21 October 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#28 cohenha

cohenha

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hello I called everything that wrotes on this software but I am not successful Lhhshtmsh in her Bgrub4dos I try to register this in the menu but this do not work what to do?

#29 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

I am not successful Lhhshtmsh in her Bgrub4dos

;) ;) ;)

#30 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Anyone knows?

- How to manually return to GFX menu from Grub4DOS command prompt by a direct command?

- how to stay all the time in GFX menu, even when a boot error occurs, without being sent back to G4D black & white prompt?

#31 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

- How to manually return to GFX menu from Grub4DOS command prompt by a direct command?

gfxmenu (hd0,0)/my_gfxboot_file_name

- how to stay all the time in GFX menu, even when a boot error occurs, without being sent back to G4D black & white prompt?

gfxboot is intended only for the CHOICE of entry of the menu. Then management comes back grub4dos. Probably you will be helped by a command fallback

#32 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

Thanks,

Did you mean "message" path/file under "my_gfxboot_file_name"?

I looked at your DED-LOGO. Very interesting and quite advanced GFX menu maker. Do you happen to know a similar package to add a background picture to BCD Boot Menu (standard Win 7 & XP boot list screen)? Or may be a manual way to add the picture (a wallpaper)?

Edited by sambul61, 30 November 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#33 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

Did you mean "message" path/file under "my_gfxboot_file_name"?

Yes. However the file name "message" should be not obligatory.

I looked at your DED-LOGO. Very interesting and quite advanced GFX menu maker.

Thanks for an estimation  :cheers:

#34 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

I try recently gfxmenu, in blue life menu post 24, I can not run the progressbar and started running the default start menu entry, does it work ? what to do I miss ?

For a start, I try to build my own menu in this style without animation for now and with F2 Language, F4 Keyboards, F9 Reboot F10 shutdown. I choose several resources for this, are there any tools to build it under windows7 ?

I found several tools to modify picture, and thank you very much for that, but for the rest ?
:cheers:

#35 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

I can not run the progressbar and started running the default start menu entry, does it work ? what to do I miss ?

Maybe you'd change the commands' order? default and timeout must be above gfxmenu.
For example:

timeout 9 

default 0 

gfxmenu ()/@DED-LEGO@

I found several tools to modify picture, and thank you very much for that, but for the rest ?

If you use gfxboot @DED-LEGO@, then you can adjust it directly from the menu.lst (look here :cheers: ). Otherwise you should learn to spread out gfxboot and to collect back. For this purpose you will need cpio-archiver (take here). 

Commands:
cpio --help
cpio -it -F MyGfxboot > temp.txt
cpio -i -F MyGfxboot
cpio -o < temp.txt > MyGfxboot

Edited by ded, 01 December 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#36 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

Yes it's the order that was not good in my menu.lst. Thank you very much :cheers:

And to build my own menu from different resources (eg language from linkare for example) Are there any tools to assemble it ?

#37 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Yes it's the order that was not good in my menu.lst. Thank you very much :cheers:

And to build my own menu from different resources (eg language from linkare for example) Are there any tools to assemble it ?

1. cpio -it -F MyGfxboot > temp.txt (list of gfxboot source components)
2. cpio -i -F MyGfxboot (spread out of gfxboot)
3. editing ... look here => Configurable gfxmenu  (Be careful with jpg-files replacement! Use gfxboot background changer)
4. cpio -o < temp.txt > MyGfxboot (assemble componenets to gfxboot)

Edited by ded, 01 December 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#38 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

1. cpio -it -F MyGfxboot > temp.txt (list of gfxboot source components)
2. cpio -i -F MyGfxboot (spread out of gfxboot)
3. editing ... look here => Configurable gfxmenu (Be careful with jpg-files replacement! Use gfxboot background changer)
4. cpio -o < temp.txt > MyGfxboot (assemble componenets to gfxboot)

Thank you very much Ded for all your works :cheers: , I look at this ?

I hope someday all your tools, Ripper-Gfx and others will be translated into English.

#39 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thank you very much Ded for all your works :cheers: , I look at this ?

I hope someday all your tools, Ripper-Gfx and others will be translated into English.

:cheers: You are too generous! Only @DED-LEGO@ is my working out.

As to Ripper-GFX and "gfxboot background changer", these utilities are made from command files (*.cmd)  :cheers:

Edited by ded, 01 December 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#40 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

There was a topic started on Multilevel Menus in Grub4DOS. Its closely related to this topic in terms, whether such menus already exist or can be quickly added as an option to GFXmenu based applications like DED-LEGO?

Another related issue is whether one can stay within GIU menu offered by DED-LEGO and similar apps, especially within the structure of Multilevel GFX menu, regardless of any boot errors or switching to CommandLine back and force, and never go back to standard Grub4DOS b&w menu?

Noted, steve6375 offered a solution on how to permanently stay within GFX menu or return to it semi-automatically every time regardless of any collisions:

gfxmenu /message
timeout 1
default 0
configfile /menu.lst

title your first menu title here
xxx
fff

title you next menu entry
dddd
ffff

I tested it, and it does work very well, except "C" shortcut doesn't bring you to CommandLine, while ESC still brings you back to the original GFX menu from CommandLine (I guess it mostly depends on the GFXmenu version compiled). Now the task is to offer similar solution to Multilevel menus to integrate them into GFX such a way, so that one can always go back automatically to the GFX menu level he jumped or was kicked out from for any reason. :frusty:

Anyone wants to test this and offer integration suggestions?

#41 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

I don't have a multilevel menu but the line configfile /menu.lst without the title works well to stay on Gfxmenu.

Following the previous Ded post, timeout and default must be above gfxmenu to run the timeout and display correctly the ProgressBar (if there is one on the menu).

As base for now, I use one of steeve6373 (Opensuse mod), on it, I added more language and help and I removed the reboot function with hide_reboot=1 (I don't have the translation for all languages).
I would just add a circular timer with the number of seconds remaining, I do not know how to build it, it seems a bit complicated.
I have a progressbar on other menu but without the F10 key shutdown and I want to make my first gfxmenu with these 2 functions.
Then I will change the wallpaper as I want (it's Ok for me).

#42 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

Noted, steve6375 offered a solution on how to permanently stay within GFX menu or return to it semi-automatically every time regardless of any collisions:

gfxmenu /message
timeout 1
default 0
configfile /menu.lst

title your first menu title here
xxx
fff

title you next menu entry
dddd
ffff

I tested it, and it does work very well, except "C" shortcut doesn't bring you to CommandLine,

If you press ESC and then Enter then ESC quickly (to stop timeout) you will end up in grub4dos menu - then press C and you should get to command line??? Press ESC again and it will go back to GFXMenu (after 1 second).

#43 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

gfxmenu /message
timeout 1
default 0
configfile /menu.lst

With configfile /menu.lst as default we stay on GfxMenu, but in this case no possibility of having another option run by default after the timeout waiting and a progressbar.

#44 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Another alternative

gfxmenu /message

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

timeout 1

default 0

title 1 Graphical menu &#40;press ESC - Enter - then ESC quickly for grub4dos menu&#41;\nDisplay graphical menu automatically

configfile /menu.lst

#The file esc.txt must exist and contain the ESC character &#40;0x1b or 27 or 033 octal&#41;

title 2 for grub4dos menu press &#91;ESC&#93; key

cat /esc.txt && clear
After 1 second the GFXMenu is loaded.
The first menu item reloads the GFXMenu - so does nothing in the GFXMenu but can allow you to load it from the grub4dos menu
The 2nd item exits back to the grub4dos text menu, but you have to press ESC quickly to stay in it.
The 2nd entry cannot be selected when in the grub4dos text menu as it does not contain an active/boot command.
You can go back to the GFXMenu by selecting the first item from the grub4dos menu.

It is not ideal though, by any means!

---- or you could have a manual menu like this...

gfxmenu /message

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

title Reboot

reboot

title  Switch Off

halt

#other title entries here ....

#The file esc.txt must exist and contain the ESC character &#40;0x1b or 27 or 033 octal&#41;

title Display grub4dos text menu\nText menu &#40;not selectable when in text menu&#41;

cat /esc.txt && cat /esc.txt && clear

title Display Graphical menu\nDisplay graphical menu

configfile /menu.lst
GFXMenu is displayed on boot up, but not if an error occurs.

#45 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

steve6375

I'll try that. Do you see the way to extend your "always stay within GFX" solution to Multilevel menus? If YES, can you post a Multilevel menu example (say, a version of this Multilevel menu example), how do you see it?

As to shifting timeout and default options above gfxmenu /message, will one still stay all the time within GFX menu after that?

#46 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

1. For actions at booting errors it is possible to use a command "fallback"

2. For the analysis of result of performance of a command and branching it is possible to use "||" and "&&"

find --set-root /marker || reboot
or
find --set-root /WinXPmarker && chainloader /ntldr

3. For managements of multilevel menus it is possible to use the file "default". This file is in Grub4Dos distribution zip. The command savedefault keeps its argument (current or specified title number) in this file. You can rename this file or change the path to it. In that case it is necessary to specify exactly what file grub4dos should use instead of default. 

default /boot/@main.def

The specified file cannot be of any kind. Therefore copy standard default under different names. You can use several such files. It is a good idea to use a different default-file for every nested menu.

4. Note: gfxboot @DED-LEGO@ uses Ctrl+End for exit (by default), however you can specify your own hotkeys.  :frusty:

Edited by ded, 04 December 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#47 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thanks!

Fallback command didn't work for me to return to GFX menu even with a single level menus.

Regarding Default command and file you mentioned, can you give a full example of a Multilevel menu where Default command(s) and file(s) are used (similar to this example? Its always easier for most to understand full examples rather than (or to illustrate) concepts.

Do you plan to offer a feature "Create Multilevel Menu" in DED-LEGO with fall-back automation integrated?

#48 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

sambul61. It seems to me that you confuse functions grub4dos and gfxboot. Gfxboot does not execute any command! Gfxboot it is intended for design, it is only a graphic cover for the menu. All commands from menu.lst executes grub4dos. Having met a command gfxmenu grub4dos loads specified gfxboot, sends to it values of timeout, default and a list of titles

For example:
timeout 15
default 1
gfxmenu /BOOT/Splash/MAIN

# Altenative gfxboot works, if you left from MAIN (Esc or Ctrl+End)
timeout 77
default /boot/Alternative.def
gfxmenu /BOOT/ALT

# Altenative MENU works, if you left from MAIN and ALT
configfile /menu_2.lst

title Boot DOS
  savedefault
  makeactive 
  chainloader /io.sys

title PLOP Boot Manager (BIN) Hidden (only once)
  savedefault
  cat --hex --locate=PoLPu@ (md)0x3D0+0x130 || kernel /boot/plop/plpbt.bin 
  cat --hex --locate=PoLPu@ (md)0x3D0+0x130 && pause --wait=5 PloP is detected!
configfile /menu.lst

To gfxboot MAIN will be sended timeout=15 and default=1 "Boot DOS" and "PLOP Boot Manager (BIN) Hidden (only once)" Then grub4dos stops and waits for the work termination of gfxboot. If a choice of menu entry was not, means  you have left gfxboot with Esc. In that case grub4dos continues processing and carries out alternative group of commands "# Altenative gfxboot works, if you left from MAIN (Esc or Ctrl+End)". Thus gfxboot ALT receives titles "Boot DOS" and "PLOP Boot Manager (BIN) Hidden (only once)" and values timeout=77 and default value from file /boot/Alternative.def

Edited by ded, 05 December 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#49 ded

ded

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Pay attention. After each command "gfxmenu" grub4dos stops and looks forward to hearing gfxboot.

Further. Let's return to the above-stated example. If you leave also gfxboot ALT without a choice of entry of the menu, then the following command will be configfile /menu_2.lst. In gfxboot MAIN and ALT identical points of the menu ("Boot DOS" and "PLOP Boot Manager (BIN) Hidden (only once)") were used. In other words to one menu it was possible to apply different design and some options (timeout or default entry). In the third case the alternative menu is caused. And, it becomes without a choice of any entry of the 1-st menu. If the exit hotkey is confidential, then it is necessary to know this secret for menu2.lst calling :worship: Gfxboot @DED-LEGO@ allows to set exit-hotkey independently. 

#50 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

Thanks!

OK, I get this part: menus are to be prepared outside of GFXmenu, just like you normally do with Grub4DOS.

Are you suggesting to use Alternative Menu structure with GFXmenu instead of Multilevel Menus to accomplish the same goal: hide seldom used menu items, making Main menu nice and clean? Is Alternative Menu equivalent to Multilevel Menu? Or, what's the difference btw them? :worship:

If its equivalent, can Alternative Menu approach be used without GFXmenu in plain b&w Grub4DOS menus - pls give an example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users