#27 bee4u

bee4u

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Anyway i have found it form BootSDI help that Firadisk ONLY uses in DefineBootsector script : grub4dos grldr as bootsector ..:)
THX for keeping me Waiting....... :confused1:

#28 wildcat71

wildcat71
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

The bad side of this:
When you only have a XP host, and a XP source CD, you cannot use BootSDI or WimBoot directly.
They require copyrighted and undistributable files, you have to find / download by yourself. They cannot be included in the project.

Peter

which files are you talking about? as i think i need to use bootSDI for my needs. Thank you!

edit: mmmmhhh are they files from windows 2003 sp1 r2? so to build using bootsdi i need that cd as source and not xp sp2?

BootSDI - loads a HDD image into RAM, hence it is writable just like a ordinary HDD
WIM - loads a non-writable wim file into RAM and then adds FBWF driver to make it pseudo writable.
Create ISO - runs the PE straight from the CD, which is not writable, but can be made pseudo writable too with FBWF driver
There are some issues with mixing PE from CD and FBWF, but those only affect non english setups.

Everything that gets installed into the PE (drive X: or Ramdisk) while it is running, will not affect the regular OS on the HDD.
All those changes are non-persistant! A PE will revert back to it's original state on every reboot.
So it is necessary to make sure during building of the PE, that one sets up everything, just like the PE should be used 99% of the time.

A PE is a rescue environment and it is most desirable for a rescue environment, that it stays always clean like freshly fallen snow.
For use as a portable OS, wimbs universal HDD images might be a better solution, as they offer persistant storage and therefore require no planing.

:cheers:

Finally i understood! (I hope) Thank you!
I understood that the pe will return in the clean state after reboot but is it possible to "take" drivers from the host machine and store them in a root folder on the usb key from where i run livexp?
So that, with the time, livexp becomes more and more compatible with almost all the hardwares as it loads the "stolen" drivers accordingly to the hardware where we plug the usb-key in?
Something like wimb's universal image (something i can't yet run...a little bit difficult to follow for me)

Thank you guys, finally i am seeing the light!!!

Edited by wildcat71, 27 August 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yes you can store the driver on your USB-Stick either only selected ones or whole driverpacks.

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users