• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

There's ggod news for all PE users who happend to be fans of the Avant browser.
Problem until now was that it relied on the trident rendering engine (IE).
But finally ORCA was released! Which is the Avant GUI with the FF rendering engine.
So Hive, it looks like you will have to learn scripting after all! :whistling:

;)

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:18 AM

:whistling: It even supports the original FF extensions.
Will really have to test drive this baby.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:20 AM

Good news indeed.

Here's a web link to help others understand what this is all about: http://orcabrowser.com

:whistling:

#4 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4204 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

There's ggod news for all PE users who happend to be fans of the Avant browser.
Problem until now was that it relied on the trident rendering engine (IE).
But finally ORCA was released! Which is the Avant GUI with the FF rendering engine.
So Hive, it looks like you will have to learn scripting after all! :whistling:

;)

Still prefer Maxthon 2 to Avant Browser. What I can say, is that Avant Browser is going in the right direction since last time I had time to test it. It looks good and has many of the options Max2 has. It would be my second choice as an IE shell.

As for Orca. Its still in beta, but it looks similar to the Avant Browser Shell Ui with the Firefox 3 Engine in its backbone. So I will have to keep an eye on it. So when it becomes a final stable release. To install and use it as an alternative to firefox. Its around or close to 30MB. I hope it is self contained. That would make it a great alternative.
;)

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

Yep it's still beta.
Extensions only work if they get activated through the context menu or run without user interaction, since buttons can't be installed(yet?).
Also some of the more advanced features of the GUI fail, because they still trying to access IE properties.

@Hive
Maxthon is a great browser, but how anyone can like Maxthon2 better is beyond me. Lots of neat features were replaced with real useless ones imo.
But unfortunately things do not look any differnt with Avant. Ever since the new (dis)improved GUI was presented, i only look from time to time if they have yet managed to get it as good as the original one, but no luck so far.

imo:
Maxthon(1) had/has the best features of any browser out of the box
Avant v9xx was only a little behind in features, but was clearly the best looking browser
Opera 8.54 was the smallest, fastest, securest browser around, lacked some (featurewise) to the other two. Biggest problem, it strictly renders w3org certified. :whistling:
FireFox, a pain in the behind, but until someone writes a decent flv downloader for another browser, i can't live without it. ;)

;)

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4204 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

Have to agree about Max1.
I still have it and use it also. But I started using Max2 more, so I can try to catch errors if possible while doing daily tasks. That is how I started with Max1 and one reason it developed into what you see now. It took a while and many updates to get to where Max1 is. They are still developing Max2 so im expecting more Max1 features to come to Max2 future development. Oh! just a note. One of the features im using more and more from Max2, is the Split View, screencapture, Content Control {easy to get to}, Magic form fill (I dont have to remember my logins anymore. Hehe!), and the way it can be customized to get a good feel when browsing.
Max2.jpg

I noticed orca tabs froze a couple of times while browsing. It made my stomach feel a bit weird when using it. So that means it require more tweaking and further development.

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

:whistling: Splitviews was one of those features, i claimed to be useless.
Guess things look different when not working with a multi monitor setup.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users