Photo
- - - - -

Is there a true "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" project?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:21 AM

Dear cdob,

Thank you very much for your sympathetic support. It is sincerely appreciated.

Yes, my computer is very old. It is a dinosaur (: But I can't complain about it. It works wonderfully with LiveCD's. I can do almost everything except running some portable applications intended for "Windows XP SP3". But if I use portable applications intended for "Windows XP SP0", they work with no issues (I am talking about using them within a WinPE 1.x environment).

I appreciate your advice about Lubuntu. I have it as LiveCD. However, it is an old version. I think from around 2007 or 2008 or so.

You are mentioning "Acrobat Reader". I have some portable versions of this application, and some of them work with WinPE 1.x.

Cdob, I am more than pleased to know that you are mentioning "ETBoot". I know that this project does not create a "universal LiveCD", and I originally said that I was looking for a universal solution, but I am willing to consider it based on the fact that there is a very easy to follow tutorial, a wonderful tutorial, that is, at:

http://reboot.pro/in...&attach_id=5079 .

In this regard, please let me ask you some questions about it. I know I can pre-configure the image before creating the LiveCD and place applications there, and I have been advised to do so. However, let's say that I run the final LiveCD and everything works as it should, can I use compatible portable applications on external USB flash drives and use them while running "ETBoot" on my computer? Adding or installing applications beforehand is not very useful for me because I am constantly creating or updating portable applications, particularly when it comes to portable browsers.

Please note that I am not disregarding "Universal XP", and it is still a valid approach. I certainly agree that this is the best project when it comes to creating a universal XP LiveCD (via a LiveUSB). But I am sure that you would not disagree with me when I tell you that the "ETBoot" tutorial is almost a work of art in and of itself.

Most cordially,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

P.S.: Yes, I think I can upgrade my computer, but I wish to keep using LiveCD's exclusively. I know at least one other guy who relies exclusively on LiveCD's, and he does not even have an internal hard drive.

#27 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Yes, I need to put into practice all theoretical approaches. But I don't see anything wrong in identifying all possible scenarios before doing so. I respect the fact that eveybody is different, and I could be considered non-practical or slow, but I am being true to myself.

Do not misunderstand me, it is very good :) that you like to have a clear understanding of the theory before the practice, but if this is the case, you should study the theories and "previous art", then, and only once you have a wide enough understanding on the theories, start your own initial experiments to confirm that the one (or the other) theory can be put into practice and ultimately can bring to you the thing you are wishing for.

When, with some more gray hair (or some less hair ;)) you will finally be ready, you will have the full understanding of everything bootable and you will be a master at it. :thumbsup:

But this is not what you asked originally.

You asked for an existing project.

And you were suggested one to try.

(mind you the suggestion may well be "wrong" :ph34r: or "not suitable" :w00t: but there is no way to know until you just §@#çing :ranting2: try putting it into practice and see by yourself what it is/how it works/etc.).

Maybe it's time you choose the one (or the other) pill (OT, but not much):

http://www.msfn.org/...or-xp-from-usb/

:duff:

Wonko

Still OT but JFYI:

1. Using a (USB) floppy disk to flash a BIOS, though it is the most traditional way, is NOT the "best" possible way, for a couple of reasons, the support of the USB bus on a largish number of mother boards may be "shaky" (when it comes to high latency devices such as floppies), and floppies (both the mechanical parts and the media) due to their rapid obsolescence and extremely low price are (have become increasingly)  largely unreliable. To this you add that the floppy drive you are going to use (unless you buy a new one specifically) and the actual floppy media is something (with a few mechanical parts) that you haven't used for the last - say - 5 years (or last time you upgraded a BIOS) and the floppy was likely stored for 10 years or more. Saving the old BIOS is a good thing of course, and in year 2015 a USB stick is just about the right device to save it to and from which to flash the new one.
  2. The CD-DA's vs. vynil is a nice theory :), and surely, if you have adequate audio hardware, including analogic (NOT digital) amplifier and pre-amplifier, adequate soundspeakers, all setup in a specially designed, dedicated room (without furniture, with padded walls, etc.)  and you are a music director (or you are one of the relatively few people in the world with an "absolute pitch" or "musical ear") you can appreciate the difference. You will also be able to distinguish high quality audio cable from coathangers, BTW: http://www.explainxk...41:_Audiophiles

#28 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

But if I use portable applications intended for "Windows XP SP0", they work with no issues (I am talking about using them within a WinPE 1.x environment).

Resolve missing dependencies: often Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

I tried:
Acrobat Reader 11.0.08 local installed.
Copy and paste msvcp100.dll msvcr100.dll to Acrobat Reader folder.
A historic BartPE booted. Acrobat Reader launched from local installed folder.
Acrobat Reader does works at BartPE.

I appreciate your advice about Lubuntu. I have it as LiveCD. However, it is an old version. I think from around 2007 or 2008 or so.

Try a current version.
And try a Knoppix DVD.

No, I don't use ETBoot: my ears can't stand the noise.
A optical drive sounds terrible at continuous seek.

Yes, I think I can upgrade my computer, but I wish to keep using LiveCD's exclusively.

More RAM gives more freedom. Previous mentioned XP RAMDISK gives more flexibility.
Insert 2 x 1GB RAM. Do you have 2 or 4 RAM sockets?
Or purchase a Core2Duo machine with DDR3 RAM.

#29 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

No, I don't use ETBoot: my ears can't stand the noise.
A optical drive sounds terrible at continuous seek.

But you could still have ETboot as a solid state CD-like device (LUN0 of compatible USB sticks) :whistling:

;)

Wonko

#30 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Dear Wonko,

I am really appreciative of your understanding (:

I certainly agree with you that the "real deal" can only be achieved when theory is put into practice. If possible, perhaps you can let me know just one little thing, please. In the case of "ETBoot", do you know if a compatible portable application works (portable application on an external flash drive, that is) once the OS is running? I am not talking about pre-configuring the image with my favorite applications but rather using portable applications afterward (I mean, after boooting the OS).

If I may, please let me comment on some off-topic points.

In the case of my floppy drive, sometimes I use it to boot any of my two optical disc drives via "The All In One Boot Floppy" on floppy disk. This application (or rather this disk) was created by Michael Shierl, and it is at:

http://schierlm.user...e.net/bootdisk/

As my floppy drive is in working condition, is there any real advantage in flashing the BIOS via CD-ROM, for instance?

In the case of music stuff, you know that I prefer CD's over vinyls, but I forgot to tell you that I don't really like to go below CD-level WAV or AIFF. Thus, I am not a big fan of MP3 CD's or WMA CD's or alike. And while I have some DVD-Audio discs and some SACD discs, I never got proper equipment to play them. Please excuse me if you find this weird.

Most respectfully,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

P.S.: Thank you very much for your new link.

P.P.S.: Sorry, I was re-reading your post. I can see now that you are advising using a USB flash drive for flashing purposes.

#31 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Dear cdob,

I sincerely appreciate your experiments.

This is not directly related to the discussion, but as you know, I would like to use portable applications with my (hopefully) new LiveCD, and you told us about some tweaks you did. In my case, I either add DLL's, OCX's, or modify the .ini file. And I use something like "Dependency Walker" at:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/ .

I understand what you mean with noise with optical discs. In my experience, this happens mostly with CDRs. In the case of DVDRs, the noise is greatly reduced. I don't have empirical evidence, but I also suppose that BDRs are not as noisy as CDRs.

Yes, I have Knoppix. However, as my internal sound card is dead (I am sorry for my ugly & messy computer), I have to use external USB sound cards, and not all Linux LiveCD's work directly with them. The ones that work are Ubuntu, Linux Mint, I think PepperOS, and a few others. Oh, I remember! Parsix also works. Unfortunately, Debian does not.

Indeed, I can upgrade my memory. Right now my memory is 512MB by default (2 256MB sticks), butI can use up to 4 1GB sticks (after taking out the 2 256MB sticks). However, I would like to flash the BIOS first. This would allow me to boot external esata drives which is extremely useful for "Windows XP" since this OS cannot be booted via USB natively.

Yes, I have a Core2Duo machine, but it is dead. And, unfortunately, I cannot afford buying a new machine. But if I can achieve my goals with this "Dell Dimension 4600", I would be more than satisfied.

Take good care,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#32 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Re: Trying To Answer My Own Question.

Hi! I just came back from reading and trying to understand all posts and the tutorial for "ETBoot" at:

http://reboot.pro/to...project-etboot/ .

Though I am tired and sleepy, I think it was well worth it (:

I believe, based on the fact that "ETBoot" uses EWF that, once the LiveCD is running, the system is compatible with portable applications. This is the most important feature for me when I said that I wanted a true "Windows XP SP3" LiveCD.

Now that I pretty much understand most issues theoretically, I will proceed with a hands-on approach. I will not bother all good people of this board with more questions of mine, but I thank everybody for the kind support provided.

Keep up the good work!

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

P.S.: Wonko, thanks for your idea of Qemu and "Dual IDE PCI Driver". I would like to test that scenario as well (:

#33 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

But you could still have ETboot as a solid state CD-like device (LUN0 of compatible USB sticks) :whistling:

Preoccupied opinion, not verified: with slow access time still.
Do you know a fast example?

Or use a virtual CD drive like a iodd 2531/Zalman ZM-VE300, iodd 2541/ZM-VE400 or StarTech S2510BU3ISO/LogiLink UA0214.
The first seems to be more sophisticated. http://www.zalman.co...ySecond_Pic.php
The others for simple boot selection. http://www.startech....ISO~S2510BU3ISO

As my floppy drive is in working condition

Use the real floppy for BIOS update.

I don't really like to go below CD-level WAV or AIFF. Thus, I am not a big fan of MP3 CD's or WMA CD's or alike. And while I have some DVD-Audio discs and some SACD discs, I never got proper equipment to play them. Please excuse me if you find this weird.

I'm weird too, purchased a SACD "The Dark Side of the Moon" years ago. A young recording, only forty years old :)
Hoped to read this one day, great mismatch the years after, never got proper equipment to play them. Never used the SACD part.
Finally CD-DA part extracted to a wav file and playing from a SSD nowayays.
Can you listen any modern recording with dynamic compression? My ears are hurting at compressed dynamic levels.

I can see now that you are advising using a USB flash drive for flashing purposes.

No, it's about converting a USB flash drive to a fake USB CD-ROM drive.
Booting from USB CD-ROM drive may be another approach. No idea if this works at "ETBoot" XP at given machine.
The mentioned Zalman or StarTech devices creates a fake USB CD-ROM drive too.

I have to use external USB sound cards, and not all Linux LiveCD's work directly with them.

It's a Dell: try to disconnect the USB sound card and reconnect the sound card.

I believe, based on the fact that "ETBoot" uses EWF that, once the LiveCD is running, the system is compatible with portable applications. This is the most important feature for me when I said that I wanted a true "Windows XP SP3" LiveCD.

I don't know if portable applications works at "ETBoot" XP, yes should work.
Nontheless I would install several Visual C++ Redistributable Packages first and include them to the CD.
http://support.micro...n-us/kb/2661358

#34 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

@cdob

The idea was about "more silent" not necessarily "quicker" booting time. ;)

And  - following Disco Makberto's OT about BIOS flashing - I did suggest using a USB stick instead of a "real" floppy for flashing a BIOS, this having nothing to do with ETBoot or ETboot on LUN0 of a USB stick.

Wonko

#35 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

"ETBoot" uses EWF

Break, I wonder what about apply EWF to internal hard disk?

Install a new XP to internal hard disk.
Boot "ETBoot" and configure internal hard disk.
Boot from write protected internal hard disk in future, do not boot from CD.
What do you think?

#36 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

Hi, there!

I'm sorry for being late, but I had a hectic week.

In addition to the Zalman or StarTech devices, other similar approaches are:

1) "Isostick" at:

https://www.kickstar...stick?ref=video .

2) "USB CD Emulation Project" at:

http://sourceforge.n...usbcdemulation/ .

Off-topic:

The album "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd released in 1973 seems like yesterday. I have recordings from the 1930's and 1940's, by Glenn Miller, for instance. Still, I prefer the updated medley versions by Jive Bunny & The MasterMixers; however, for purists and hardcore Glenn Miller fans, such releases are aberrations:

All the best,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#37 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

In addition to the Zalman or StarTech devices, other similar approaches are:

1) "Isostick" at:

2) "USB CD Emulation Project" 

Really? :unsure:

Remember to post these "news" in the dedicated thread:

http://reboot.pro/to...all-iso-images/

or in the dedicated to ISOSTICK WHOLE section of the board :whistling:

http://reboot.pro/forum/132-isostick/

Wonko

#38 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

...and I am sure there are others (or many others) that I am not aware of! However, whether that is good or bad, I think that Isostick is one of the projects that has made the most noise, at least when it comes to promotion/advertising. And, yes, I understand it is a commercial application. But please note that I am not advocating for it.

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#39 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

Yep :), I was only highlighting how both are not really-really "news", at least for the members of this board.

As well, though very few people have the guts for it :w00t: :ph34r: (or even if they have the courage miss either the knowledge or the appropriate tools) there is as said the possibility of creating a dual device ( as an example CD+"normal" hard disk like device) with a number of "common" USB sticks, a couple of references, JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-to-a-and-fd0/

http://www.allarghiamoci.it/usbcdrom/

And, before you (re)discover it, there is the UDRW:

http://www.hagisol.c...rwg5/index.html

I guess you'd better use google translate or similar ;).

Maybe easier (but about an older model):

http://hsc-us.com/Em.../udrw/index.htm

Wonko

#40 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:41 AM

Thanks, Wonko!

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto