Italy

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Would the AMD bug (if not solved in the meantime) be related? :unsure::
http://reboot.pro/6851/page__st__30

@goros
You can also try the alternative:
http://reboot.pro/9830/

maybe better supports the hardware you have. :dubbio:

In BOTH methods it seems like pagefile.sys and hyberfil.sys are a NO-NO.

The 100 Mb partition is ONLY created if you start the Windows 7 install in a non-pre-partitioned disk.
Cannot say if it causes problems, but it is very likely IMHO.
Use a DOS :w00t:, PE or Linux bootdisk or whatver an partition/format the disk BEFORE installing 7.

:cheers:
Wonko

#77 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'm not sure if my following experience is related or not, but noticing a small amount of space at the beginning of my drive, I decided to shift my current partition over and expand it. Turns out, that was the windows bootloader :\ Just a little word of caution there.

#78 Djoby

Djoby
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi there and CONGRATULATIONS for the effort of putting this great utility up together, I do have a problem though with it... I installed the patch on a internal sata running wind 7 installation, and then I moved the hard drive (phisically) into a usb-sata enclosure, booted up and I got the "reboot or choose proper boot device" message. I made sure that from the bios, the USB HDD is the only device to boot from, and my motherboard is deffinetely capable of usb booting :happy_dance:. Please share with me some of your ideas on the matter :-??

#79 Djoby

Djoby
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:49 AM

I have figured the bloody thing out, problem was that small 100mb partition, copied files from it to my windows partition, and after setting it active averything worked ok, but now, the nagging thing is that it takes a long time at the starting windows logo

To be more precise, the writing appears, "Starting Windows" but the 4 moving lights take a minute or so to appear and the USB HDD restarts itself before the lights appear and Windows actually loads :mellow:

Anyone that had this happen to him, please tell me, I want to know if its hardware related or There are some fiddlings to be made software-wise in order to prevent this from happening again.

Cheers!

#80 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

in my experience after changing the boot partition re-applying the patch is required :mellow:.

#81 Djoby

Djoby
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

the target of the patch was my C partition from the beginning, and the lack of those essential boot files was the problem, I couldn't reapply the patch because it showed that the system is already patched... so it's not a patch related problem ;)

#82 leoinj

leoinj
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:54 AM

Has anyone had issues updating to Win 7 SP1? I have tried a number of times to update and after a bit of investigation I traced pwboot patch as a possible culprit. For safety's sake it would be handy if the patch installer backed up files in such a way that the patch could be uninstalled later.

#83 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

If you update the OS booting the USB drive, you'll need to re-patch the OS per instruction on first post:

I have SP1, patched, booting USB without issue. What specifically is happening with yours?

#84 ejkejej

ejkejej

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

gr8 job with this tool, hope you will keep it alive ;)

But unfortunately I have problem with this to get it working. Yesterday I've installed Win7 x64 w/o sp1, patched and booted from USB - It worked. Later I
was trying to put pagefile on usb drive same time as install updates. First I've destroyed the boot sectors, and windows has restored from restore point. Later I tried to install sp1 (switched usb to sata connection), but there were error (file cannot be found) on stage 4 of install. So today I've formated the HDD installed all updates, and sp1. Then I've run it on clean updated system. PWBoot informed me about success. I've shot down, and 6 more updates has been installed (***** win update!). I've put my hdd in enclousure and tried to boot with no success (BSOD). Right now I've tried to patch system again, but It is said that is already patched. Anyone had similiar situation? Is it possible to revert this changes without format? UnPWBoot :cheers:

redgards

#85 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hi ejkejej,

I don't think you can unPatch it but may I suggest you make a backup of the partition/drive (including updates) prior to patching. This way if anything goes wrong, you're five minutes away from a clean start. The backup image can be created from existing install on host as well.

You can also try set_7_usb_boot

;)

#86 Matt_Williams

Matt_Williams

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Free iSCSI Target software
    http://www.kernsafe.com
  •  
    China

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:26 AM

Is there any preferable program to clone drive that I have installed patched system to a pendrive?

#87 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:34 AM

Is there any preferable program to clone drive that I have installed patched system to a pendrive?

I think you mean "Is there any preferable program to clone installed system to a pendrive?". I use Acronis TrueImage (Echo 9.5-7 or Home2010-11 (not free) but I've also tested with Ghost, Macrium Reflect and quite a few freebies and all worked fine. Basically, if the clone or image restore works, it can be patched OK. there's no special requirement from the clone/image backup/restore software for patching.

:cheers:

#88 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

I was hoping that Dhilip89 would have came back with a finished v3. :(

#89 Matt_Williams

Matt_Williams

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Free iSCSI Target software
    http://www.kernsafe.com
  •  
    China

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

amalux,
Ok, thank you! Earlier when I tried with other software I always got some kind of a blue screen while booting.

#90 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

PWBoot 3.0 has been released! Read first post.

Sorry for the very long delay, because I just do this with my spare time.

PS: I am unable to access the boot-land's FTP, so I upload files to MediaFire.

#91 Aye Htay

Aye Htay

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts
  •  
    Myanmar

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Thanks always for your times and efforts.

K Regards,

ah

#92 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

PWBoot 3.0 has been released!

:clap: Long awaited and looks great!

Thank you!! :cheers:

#93 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:52 AM

Thanks, Dhilip89 for the Project. It has been a long time, no see. Glad you're still around. :cheerleader: :good:
As for the FTP access. Nuno had written on another post that he was working on getting FTP access back soon.
We do have a working Download portal tab now. You should be able to access it. I think.

#94 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

Thanks, Dhilip89 for the Project. It has been a long time, no see. Glad you're still around. :cheerleader: :good:
As for the FTP access. Nuno had written on another post that he was working on getting FTP access back soon.
We do have a working Download portal tab now. You should be able to access it. I think.

Thanks for the info :D
I just had tried the download portal, but so far I think that MediaFire is more suited for my needs.

#95 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Maintenance release: Version 3.0.1 (Refer to first post) ;)

#96 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

Experiment with Windows Thin PC

Result:
Unable to boot from VHD (Stuck at boot screen)
Success with physical drive

Posted Image

Posted Image

#97 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the update. Good looking out.

#98 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

I tried this using Win7 SP1 32-bit Professional Install.wim file onto a USB HDD. I got a few error messages when Windows booted and I have no wallpaper on the Desktop and just Recycle Bin icon. No IE present. Cannot Open Control Panel, Explorer.exe, etc. etc. - seems very broken...

#99 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

I tried this using Win7 SP1 32-bit Professional Install.wim file onto a USB HDD. I got a few error messages when Windows booted and I have no wallpaper on the Desktop and just Recycle Bin icon. No IE present. Cannot Open Control Panel, Explorer.exe, etc. etc. - seems very broken...

What is the content of error messages? could you explain in more details?

I never encounter the kind of problem as you stated above, everything just works as expected:

Posted Image

#100 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hi
After I go through Welcome (OOBE) and it goes to the Desktop, the first message is 'C:\Windows\system32\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. ...'

I should mention that the system I ran your app on is Win 7 64-bit Ultimate. Would this make any difference when installing Win 7 32-bit to a USB HDD?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, windows, boot, full, pwboot, vhd, patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users