• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

...after all the initial intuitive design as a square:

http://reboot.pro/to...tition/?p=13022

had some merits. :)

Though it seems to me like a (nice, BTW) wobbling wheel with very little practical use (if not the novelty effect):

https://www.indiegog...kateboard-wheel

it is a good example how sometimes reinventing the wheel might not be as otiose as it might seem at first sight.

:duff:

Wonko

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

It's 2015, why use wheels? Get us the hoverboard at cheap prices. :air_fan:

#3 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

At first sight I tought they where trying to sellvthem at

$23,070USD, but I see its a funding campaign.
We just need some made for Bicycles, motorcycles, Cars and such.

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

I'm still waiting on my flying Jetsons car, hoverpack, and teleportation unit to arrive via UPS. 31 years late, damn it. And to think humans think themselves so advanced and intelligent. What a joke.......

#5 betrand

betrand

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 467 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

You guys getting forgetful?

Hive posted in September 2014.

http://reboot.pro/to...el-that-shreds/

At the time I corrected (in the Bicycle topic), saying the wheel isn't square.

I am ready to believe it, and my intention isn't to criticize it (good thinking on their part).

But reading this debunks it a bit:

http://physicsbuzz.p...ting-wheel.html

@AnnonVendetta, Flying cars are being thought of and developed (microlite). Hoverpack I wouldn't mind.

Probably be the norm in 50 years. Teleportation, obviously...!

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

Well surely TheHive seems forgetful  :eek:  , I may well have not seen it at the time, but I should have checked, my bad :blush: .

However  your nice link :thumbsup:, confirms my gut feelings about it being "a wobbling wheel with very little practical use (if not the novelty effect)", but of course I just wanted to talk of square wheels as a example of non-conventional thinking, and on the reasons why one may want (or may not want ) to reinvent the wheel.

Square wheels as an example may be useful on some particular paths ;):

Wonko

#7 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

I remember posting it before. The one Wonko posted is suppose to be a newer model.

From betrand post, it seems they are on bike testing . It doesnt seem stable.

#8 betrand

betrand

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 467 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

but of course I just wanted to talk of square wheels as a example of non-conventional thinking, and on the reasons why one may want (or may not want ) to reinvent the wheel.

Yeah, sure, I got what the meaning of the post was, very interesting topic too!

It got me thinking, and although I had in the past looked at it, the invention of the wheel is a great image of thinking out of the box, though I would rather you had used the allegory of 'sliced bread', as it's quicker to get a clear perspective on.

The invention of the wheel brings into account the History of Civilization and Physics. Physics, in a way, is simple. I say in a way.

The History of civilization, less so, but none the less interesting.

We have to imagine a world (around the Middle-East) pre-3000 years ago BC where people were happy to develop the science of pottery (though pottery was waay older. The Potter wheel is about that time). This would in turn help agriculture, commerce, as with pots they could keep water for the fields, grain, oil, wine. One side effect of pottery was also that water was kept cool. Imagine the effect of having cool water in an area of the planet which is always hot!

Anyway, after some millennia two centuries, *someone* had the idea of using the potter's wheel on its side.

The potter's wheel was made of three parts. A small circular base with a hole in its center, and a bigger wheel (the main bit) with also a hole in it, and a stick in the middle, stuck in the ground to guide the top wheel.

Now whether they decided when storing the potter's wheel after a season (of pottering), and they thought it astute to roll the components together (say they had two potter's wheels, they'd have had 2 sets of similar-sized wheels), or if anyway they had had in mind the idea of rollers (which they already used for lots of things - moving heavy stones for e.g.) might be a point of discussion.

But from then on they started making little models of the thing (2 wheels and an axle). And later they were using chariots.

This just confirms that humanity is good at thinking out of the box.

Or lazy. "Hmm, that's too heavy to carry! -Let's roll it around! -Yeah, that's an idea, let's roll it around!"

Or both.

I mean, when we started living in caves to get protection, that was laziness! "It's cold out there! - Let's go in a cave!".

That's civilization!

[Edited some dates]

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

This just confirms that humanity is good at thinking out of the box.

Or lazy. "Hmm, that's too heavy to carry! -Let's roll it around! -Yeah, that's an idea, let's roll it around!"

But it also confirms how often humanity thinks along the same lines (which is quite the opposite of thinking out of the box :w00t:)  JFYI:

http://www.brainyquo...lesa391596.html

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users