3 replies to this topic

#1 fzzzt

fzzzt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

Another possible bug in 2.0.9. I'm using Win 8.1. I just created a "vm" type disk via:

imdisk -a -t vm -o rem -s 4096M -m E: -p "/fs:ntfs /v:RAM2 /q /y"

I did my test, then went into the explorer context menu and selected "Eject". The drive disappeared after 5-10 seconds, but so did all my other removable drives, even empty ones! I normally have about 8 of them due to a card reader, plus my normal RAM disk R. Now I only have C and D. I can still get to R if I type it in, but it doesn't show on the list of drives.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

#2 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

I haven't seen this happen but I know Explorer ge's funky when drives are removed.  I often have drive issues when remapping network drives.  There is possibly an easy way to get them back.  Go to Task Manager and terminate Windows Explorer, you may have to relaunch it.  The drives should now be back.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

@fzzzt

Which OS?

When you right click on a drive letter in explorer you should have the option to "Unmount Imdisk Virtual Disk".

"Eject" is a function of the OS that is present normally for any "removable" drive.

If you try to "Unmount Imdisk Virtual Disk" on a non IMdisk drive letter you should have a message "Not a IMDISK Virtual Disk : <drive letter>".

This (and possibly the other "bug" you experienced) is probably related to the "peculiarities" of IMDISK (by design).

You have to understand how the name is completely inaccurate. :w00t: :ph34r:

IMDISK does NOT provide a "disk" (the disk is the "whole thing", i.e. a \\.\PhysicalDriven in Windows) but rather a volume or "drive" (i.e. the *whatever* gets a drive letter in Windows NT).

As an example any IMDISK device is not seen in Disk Manager or in Diskpart, and not even in Mountvol (so it is not really-really even a volume) simply the virtual *whatever* it creates is not a "full disk device" (like as an example Arsenal Image Mounter is) and it is hooked to the running OS at a "higher" level than a "real" disk device.

A number of programs, API calls, etc. may have been targeted to "real" (or "virtual") disk devices, and they will throw a fit when accessing IMDISK virtual drive.

See also:
http://reboot.pro/to...l-ufd/?p=151130

:duff:

Wonko

#4 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

I just made a test to see it. Created 3 removables virtual drive, in the following order: F:, G:, H:. Then I "eject" G:, and I refresh Explorer. G: and H: have disappeared. imdisk -l shows that the devices 0 and 2 exist.
Now, I restart Explorer through the task manager. Explorer shows F: and H:.

As a conclusion, I would say that Windows considers that it's up to the driver to send the proper notifications for the "eject" feature.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imdisk, bug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users