paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

I made this statement on theoven.org:

I agree livesystem pro is a very promising builder. Just wish it supported the winbuilder scripting language as the ported plugins seem to offer less configurability than the original plugins.

and got banned for 2 months because the post used the wrong terminology. I very carefully used the term plugin because that seems to be the new terminology. Guess the reference to 'winbuilder scripting language' was not liked.

#2 CD-RW

CD-RW

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

@Paraglider

The Motto of Bakers, at least it is on the Gena boot-Logo "Freedom".

Think you have to understand it ironically. Compettion is not tolerated.

Such a behavior is know from Turkey.

Translate with Google.

CD-RW

Edited by CD-RW, 30 January 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#3 Trumk

Trumk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

99% of those guys are friendly and knowledgeable.

1% of them are crazy, guess who...

• steve6375 likes this

#4 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

I stopped actively posting here due to a former mod having it out for me.  This was a normally awesome member.  We just didn't mesh well.

Whether a forum is well run or not getting banned/kicked/censored is pretty much random.   Someone has a bad day.  A hidden rule is broken.  Who knows. 

At least you have a better idea of where to channel your energy.

#5 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Windows Security, Programming, Customizing & Crash Dump Analysis.
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:32 AM

I've had my fair share of similar experiences. Through all of it though I think you'll come to understand that this community in particular isn't actually that bad. In the end everyone here seems to share the same common interests and the other staff here are very reasonable when it comes time to take any action.

There are definitely some people out there that just like the idea of hitting a button or two that other regular users don't have the permission to use, but that kind of mentality exists even outside of the online world. 

Just try to deal with it and don't let it ruin your week. :)

#6 Trumk

Trumk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

Moongoon, you said "stopped posting here", but I guess you mean "there", correct?

I'm afraid it's no longer an issue of "having a bad day", more and more one person is ruining it for an otherwise nice forum (hey, we can say that here, right? No harm in that...)

Must be insecurities on this "one person" side,

... I guess everybody

....... who has ever had the pleasure of dealing with him (her?)

............ recognizes his weird sentences when I type like this

...................... you just need to add some childish smileys here and there

...................................and some quoting of things said by other (Hey, CD-RW, you said something

............................................... about Turkey? Well, I'm going to repeat that about 10 times, etc.

... And finally some weirdly translated saying, like "Life turtle".

Oh well, at least I'm not hung up about it :-)

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

Banning is never good at any place. For me there is nothing more difficult than pressing the ban button on people that I respect from a technical perspective, but which from a moderation perspective need intervention. Can certainly understand why Wonko (the Sane, not the other one) decided not to hold that kind of task any longer some years ago.

Whatever the reason for the ban was, don't worry as there are many other forum sites out there. As technical people that we are, my advice is that you pass from words to action and write code. Write other tools and vent out that energy into new software or something truly productive. :tabletalk:

#8 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

And what, exactly, would you ask us to do here because of your ban at The Oven? It's like complaining to Microsoft that your Google account got banned, nothing they can do. The only thing reboot.pro and The Oven have in common is that both specialize in booting methods, totally different management though. Quit your whining, just don't post there anymore if you feel you were treated unfairly. And if you return again, after your ban expires, and they ban you again, then you have noone to blame but yourself, since you're choosing to go back in spite of your past experiences with them.

#9 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

I recently made the mistake of posting about two bugs I found.

/index.php?topic=2004.0

and was threatened with a ban!

• Trumk likes this

#10 wean_irdeh

wean_irdeh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

And what, exactly, would you ask us to do here because of your ban at The Oven? It's like complaining to Microsoft that your Google account got banned, nothing they can do. The only thing reboot.pro and The Oven have in common is that both specialize in booting methods, totally different management though. Quit your whining, just don't post there anymore if you feel you were treated unfairly. And if you return again, after your ban expires, and they ban you again, then you have noone to blame but yourself, since you're choosing to go back in spite of your past experiences with them.

He is just sharing his experience, like, I don't know what is it called, something which involved some people sitting in a chair and talk about their frustration? (Apologies if my post is offensive)

#11 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

Not asking anyone to do anything. Just be very careful what you post on theoven.org. Don't mention winbuilder or scripts.

#12 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

Sorry for replying to a locked topic - one of the priviliges of minor mod powers!

I felt the need to post my thoughts on this matter. It saddened me to read paraglider's post. The internet and forums can be a great way of sharing ideas and opening discussion - and learning.

Open discussion should be welcomed. I don't recall having ever had contact with paraglider on any forums, however his is a name I'm familiar with from here and elsewhere - dating back to BartPE days over a decade ago. I cannot recall ever seeing any posts from him that would warrant any moderator action - and certainly not a ban! There are people around who have contributed a great deal to the WinPE world over the years - Paraglider is one of them. Thank you sincerely for all of your work and contributions and for making the WinPE world a better place. :worship:

Paraglider's work and many contributions speak for themselves and in my opinion he has earned the right to pass comments wherever he chooses to spend his valuable time. Any forum should feel lucky to have him pass his time with them.

I do not believe that any ban is a reflection on TheOven.org as a whole.

Misty
  • Tokener and Trumk like this

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Not asking anyone to do anything. Just be very careful what you post on theoven.org. Don't mention winbuilder or scripts.

I personally do not feel any reason to post anything there. Therefore I do not have to use some carefullness.

Peter

#14 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

POPULAR

I think its important to make the distinction that the "moderation" that's been happening is not approved by the majority of the frequenters of that forum nor necessarily of galapo the forums owner, rather a moderator that has let themselves be destroyed by bitterness and resentment. Most of the members are fellow brothers/sisters/developers that have been here (reboot) since the early days (think waayyyyy back when we all came here after we exhausted the limits of BartPE) and do not share the same opinions. we go around here and there where the people and the knowledge are and have fun doing what we do code/script/debug/learn. If an environment becomes toxic or limits us we find somewhere else that does not force us into their mold, but we always retain the friendships we have built.

I would love so see the 8x delphi generation of winbuilder revived and thriving again. the 20x generation was a fine experiment but has repulsed developers due to its non-existent documentation, closed development, inability of users to make plugins, etc. fix the defects in the 8x generation and developers will return and thrive, without the need for messy workarounds, cmd scripts, or well-meaning but incomplete builder clones.

• Brito, pscEx, AceInfinity and 2 others like this

#15 Trumk

Trumk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

Very nice contributions to this thread. Please keep them coming, maybe something good can come from this after all...

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

To be picky (as I am) technically, it wasn't a "ban", it was a two months "suspension".

Though it does sound as totally unjustified and unmotivated, particularly when applied to a most esteemed member and contributor to the scene such as paraglider  :worship:  is (and has been for numberless years :thumbup: ) it is well within the powers of the Admin (or of the Mods) over there to apply this or that (senseless as it may seem) decision.

Still being picky, this:

Banning is never good at any place. For me there is nothing more difficult than pressing the ban button on people that I respect from a technical perspective, but which from a moderation perspective need intervention. Can certainly understand why Wonko (the Sane, not the other one) decided not to hold that kind of task any longer some years ago.

does not represent in any way part of the reason(s) why jaclaz (now Wonko the Sane) stepped down from Admin of reboot.pro.

Just for the record, the issues at the time were much more subtle than what Nuno seems to remember:

http://reboot.pro/to...-all-the-bytes/

:duff:

Wonko

#17 Trumk

Trumk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

The second post in that thread is written in quite normal-looking sentences. Also, that poster says "please forgive me".

That can't be the same person the OP is talking about :-)

Also, nobody can change from (quote) "a young person" to a bitter old fart (and forget how to write in English) in just 7 years...

Finally, what are these "scripts" he's talking about? :ban:

Nope, must be a different person...

Edited by Trumk, 03 February 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#18 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

My ip address is blocked so I cannot even read the forum in guest mode. If the moderator did not like my post he could have just suspended posting.

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

My ip address is blocked so I cannot even read the forum in guest mode. If the moderator did not like my post he could have just suspended posting.

Not only :(, generally speaking IP blocking is NOT something to make use of unless in extreme (and documented) cases, think about IP blocking (say) a corporation or an internet cafe? :w00t: :ph34r:

@Trumk

People change, and not always for the better. :(

Wonko

#20 appyface

appyface
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

Maybe just a longshot... could something like this have happened to you?

I recently made my first post on a board with a LONG list of rules... one known for banning. I had read all the stickies, re-read the rules over and over, posted my question carefully. A few hours later I had an email there was a reply to my question.  I eagerly clicked the link and was presented with a series of errors, not found, no userid.  Not only that, but I couldn't even READ a forum that was normally fully open for reading, you only need a userid to post.

Long story longer, from a friend's internet connection I could figure out my IP had been banned as well as my userid and post removed (because I could not login and searching the forum didn't turn up my question.

I managed to find an email address for the admin, and emailed to ask what I had done so wrong to be treated so harshly.

I had a very nice and apologetic reply from the admin that the forum software automatically removes userids and posts and blocks the IP aggressively based on spam IP blocklists and other spam reporting services, and that my IP was probably in a blocklist (I have a dynamic IP on cable internet, so probably.).  He was sorry that happened but due to the large about of spam posts that hit the forum he had no way to reverse the decision.

A longshot for you, but perhaps possible?  This is pretty harsh, but a manual ban of an IP address is almost unthinkable for a careful post such as yours.  Just wondering.

Kind regards.

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Maybe just a longshot... could something like this have happened to you?

I recently made my first post on a board with a LONG list of rules... 

Yep :), but paraglider was at his 138th post or so, it would be a "queer" coincidence, particularly when there is an explicit reference to something related to the no tolerance policy for "time wasting"...

Wonko

#22 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

@Wonko
According to my wife, all time spent on any Forum is "time wasting" :whistling:

And I am subject to regular and frequent bans/suspensions whenever she feels that I have been spending too much of my time on this forum and/or forum related activities. These bans/suspensions appear to me as unwarranted as Paraglider's.

Misty

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

@Wonko
According to my wife, all time spent on any Forum is "time wasting" :whistling:

And I am subject to regular and frequent bans/suspensions whenever she feels that I have been spending too much of my time on this forum and/or forum related activities. These bans/suspensions appear to me as unwarranted as Paraglider's.

Misty

Naah.

Unlike the Forum Rules (that you didn't read) the Wife's Rules are simple and very widely known and you can't play the "ignorance card":

Please understand how there is this wrong set of rules floating around:

Spoiler

whilst the correct ones are these (I am sure you can appreciate the differences ;)):

Spoiler

Just like an Admin or Mod decision (stupid as it might be) there is NO appeal AND while whining on another Forum - though sometimes frowned upon - is legit, in the case of a Wife's decision you cannot even whine about it (without consequences, I mean).

Wonko

#24 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Yep :), but paraglider was at his 138th post or so, it would be a "queer" coincidence, particularly when there is an explicit reference to something related to the no tolerance policy for "time wasting"...

Wonko

I found that part particularly absurd, because that statement obviously undermines the entire idea of a forum which is to facilitate discussion/conversation. And no discussion is a waste of time if someone can learn from it.

#25 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

Honestly, OP should keep any issues with other forums, out of here. They are unrelated, it's a waste of space and time to bother complaining here about something we have no control over. Go find another place to vent. Honestly, if I were an admin here, I would ban @paraglider.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (or should, anyway).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users