winpe4.0 usb boot adk

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#151 s1l3nc0r

s1l3nc0r
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

@ericgl: I am very interested in using your approach for building a W8PE version.

Do you think it would be possible to have it load graphics drivers from ATI, intel & NVidia?

i intend to use the PE environment for testing various hardware configs (with BurnInTest Pro from Passmark)

I've been using Win7PE for a while now, but lately I am having troubles getting graaphics drivers to work in Direct3D Video testing, hence the switch to your W8PE version.

#152 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

s1l3nc0r,

It might be possible. I haven't tried it myself.

Why don't you just build a WinPE4.0 and see if any of these graphics drivers work?

I suggest you start with one that doesn't have any graphics driver. Then create 3 copies of boot.wim, one for each driver.

Then, one after the other, Mount each copy of boot.wim, install a driver with DISM, unmount it and see if it works.

#153 jrg53

jrg53
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

I am getting an error when running the following command :

dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"

I get an access denied, although the dism log is much longer.

Any ideas?

#154 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

I am getting an error when running the following command :

dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"

I get an access denied, although the dism log is much longer.

Any ideas?

Are you writing this in one line? These are supposed to be two separate commands:

dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"

And it looks like you're typing the same command twice. The second one is supposed to be the language (MUI) of the package you're adding:

dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-Scripting_en-us.cab"

#155 s1l3nc0r

s1l3nc0r
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

I have that working with a winpe4 environment and a geforce GTX660 videocard.

I want to use BurnInTest to do various hardware tests.

Therefore I need to have directx installed, but I can't find a proper solution for achieving this.

Any ideas?

#156 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Have you tried Win8PE_SE?

It has lots of things incorporated into it, and I think there's also an option for DirectX when building the Win8PE_SE project.

#157 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Therefore I need to have directx installed, but I can't find a proper solution for achieving this.

Any ideas?

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=25269

Section 2. - Install Windows 8 on USB-harddisk

Boot with Windows 8 and use WinNTSetup2_x64.exe and Win8 Setup ISO file (rightclick) 
for Direct Install of Win 8 on USB-harddisk using FAT32 Boot and NTFS System partition

#158 jrg53

jrg53
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Are you writing this in one line? These are supposed to be two separate commands:

dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"

And it looks like you're typing the same command twice. The second one is supposed to be the language (MUI) of the package you're adding:

dism /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE4\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-Scripting_en-us.cab"

This is what I am typing...sorry...not sure why it came out like that - I copied and pasted from your original post all the commands into a batch file and everything is on separate lines:

That is just the first two lines of course, but after each command I get an error 5: access denied... I would post the dism log but it is lengthy.

My ultimate goal is to be able to create a bootable USB drive with LAN drivers that will allow me to deploy sysprep'd images.

#159 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hmm...I've never had any errors like that.

Which OS are you performing this on?
Are you using the internal DISM.exe command or is it from another source?
What version of DISM.exe are you using?

but after each command I get an error 5: access denied... 

Also, Make sure you have complete Administrators permission to C:\Temp and C:\MOUNT.

#160 jrg53

jrg53
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I am using windows 8, with the A & D kit for windows 8. DISM version is 6.2.9200.16384

#161 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

jrg53,

Okay, so it must be some restriction to the folders I mentioned. Please check.

#162 avreader1

avreader1
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

I have followed the instructions in the tutorial, with the exception of the "4GB should be enough".  I used a 2 GB USB stick, since the size of the PE4\Media folder after processing (without any drivers) was 313 MB.  I've tested the stick on two Windows 8 64 computers with legacy BIOS, one Windows 7 64 computer with legacy BIOS, two Windows 7 64 laptops with legacy BIOS and one Windows 8 64 brand new Samsung laptop with the new UEFI firmware and "Secure boot" enabled (and disabled). This laptop is the only one I have with UEFI and I created the USB boot stick particularly for it.

On all the computers and laptops with BIOS firmware, the stick boots fine, including the bottom progress bar and the final load of Q-Dir 64.  However, the UEFI laptop completely ignores the stick and boots into Windows 8 from the hard disc.  It doesn't matter if "Secure boot" is enabled or disabled, it doesn't matter if (when Secure boot is disabled) I use CMS, UEFI or CMS + UEFI.

Did I do anything wrong or this very new machine may have some proprietary implementation of UEFI?  I didn't mention, but I've created the 64 bit version of the WinPE 4 boot USB. Many thanks for the very clear and easy to follow tutorial.

Edited by avreader1, 13 March 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#163 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

With the BIOS set to CMS, the USB drive should be detected by the BIOS as a normal MBR drive and boot.

Are there any other USB or boot settings in the BIOS you can fiddle with? Set the boot order? Hit the BBS key (e.g. F12 or F10) before boot? etc.

What is this 'brand new Samsung laptop' exactly  (make/model) and did you try reading the manual?

#164 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

avreader1,

Perhaps you should try what's suggested here:

http://www.surfaceta...urface-pro.html

It's a guide for Microsoft's Surface Pro, but might work for your laptop as well.

#165 avreader1

avreader1
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thank you guys for your fast answers.  The laptop is a brand new Samsung NP510RSE-A01UB. It just has been purchased two days ago. My daughter gave it to me to set it up so that she can send it in Europe as a gift for a cousin.

@steve6375

When I first started it, I was able to boot from my custom Spotmau 2012 USB stick (I've combined Spotmau 2012 and Acronis HE 2011 a couple of years back), by disabling "Secure boot" and changing to CSM OS.  However, booting with the Spotmau USB showed the drive as unformatted (probably because of the GPT partitions).  In the process of setting it up, I've updated the firmware from Samsung.  After the firmware update, it doesn't want to boot anymore when CSM OS is selected, but displays this message:

"All boot options are tried.

Press F2 key to enter Setup, or any other key for next boot loop iteration."

Pressing F2 brings me back into the firmware setup, pressing any other key brings back the same message.  In the Setup, under Boot I have "Boot Device Priority", "Touch Pad Mouse", "Secure Boot", "OS Mode Selection", "Internal LAN" and "Smart Battery Calibration".  Unfortunately, under "Boot Device Priority" there is only one non-selectable entry (in black not blue) named "Boot Options Priorities".  Under "Secure Boot" I have "Enabled" and "Disabled".  When "Disabled" is selected, the "OS Mode Selections" shows up, with three options, "CSM OS", "UEFI OS" and "CSM and UEFI OS".  On the last two options, the laptop boots into Windows 8 from the hard disk, ignoring anything connected to the two USB 2.0 ports or the single USB 3.0.  There aren't any other boot related options anywhere in the "Advanced" or any of the other menu options.

@ericgl

This Samsung laptop doesn't have a dedicate volume button, like the Surface, except for the combination Fn + F6 or F7.  Pressing F12 at boot time brings me into the Setup not a Boot menu (Setup is also entered by pressing F2).  Any other keys are not active at boot time.

#166 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Try a BIOS - reset to defaults?

BIOS updates for Win8 OEM systems are tricky - I hope it hasn't erased the product key embedded in the BIOS.

Are you sure it was for the correct model?

I presume you mean Samsung NP510R5E - the manual says

If you need to boot to DOS using a USB device, enter the

BIOS Setup, select the Advanced menu and set the Fast
BIOS Mode item to Disabled.

So choose CSM OS and Disable Fast Boot - and try that?

#167 avreader1

avreader1
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

@steve6375

Wow!  It seems I'm guilty of not RTFM!  After changign "Fast BIOS Mode" to Disabled, two options appeared under "Boot Override" in the Exit menu; "Windows Boot Manager (PO: Hitachi HTS54....)" and "UEFI: Generic Flash Disk 8.07".  Also, under  "Boot Device Priority" in the Boot menu I now have the same two entries and I could move the flash disk on the first position.  After saving and exiting, the laptop booted fine from ericgl' WinPE4 64-bit USB!  This time, all the partitions, including the two extra recovery partitions made by Samsung are showing and accessible.

Thank you very much steve6375 and ericgl for your help and for the "bootable WinPE 4.0 USB drive"!  Now, if you guys know of any 64-bit partion manager, disk imaging utility and anti-virus that can work in the 64-bit PE4 environment, I'll be back in business.  Many thanks again!

Off topic!  I've just surfed to your RMPrepUSB.com website, steve6375!  Wow!!  That's a treasure of invaluable information!  Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing it with us!

Edited by avreader1, 13 March 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#168 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Diskpart should be available in WinPE?

For disk imaging, boot to macrium Reflect free or acronis

There are many bootable AV liveCDs available - you don't have to run them under WinPE 64...

#169 avreader1

avreader1
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well, I already have Acronis 2013, which is Windows 8 compatible, Paragon Partition Manager and Disk Manager, also Windows 8 compatible, but I can't boot from their boot disks on these UEFI computers/laptops!  I've splitted the C: partition of this laptop in C and D, because I always set the user profiles on a different partition than Windows.  I've used MiniTool Partion Wizard, but I had to first install it in Windows 8 (and unistall it afte that).  I'd like to have something similar to my custom Spotmau USB, but works with these new UEFI 64 bit Windows 8 computers.

#170 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

why not boot as CSM?

#171 avreader1

avreader1
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I must have gotten slower lately!!  The laptop was on "CSM and UEFI".  It was booting fine from the USB WinPE4, but it ignored the external optical drive with Acronis 2013 boot disk.  The BD-ROM is showing as "UEFI: ATAPI BD 0 ....) in the Boot menu, bat is ignored if on "CSM and UEFI".  However, on the "CSM OS" setting, with "Fast BIOS Mode" disabled, I was able to boot from Acronis 2013 boot disk.  Also, all four NTFS and two FAT32 partitions are visible and available for backup for Acronis.

It seems that after this exchange of messages, I'll be ok with the new UEFI computers!  MANY, MANY thanks for your help steve6375!!

#172 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

UEFI is the work of the devil - only use it for OEM pre-installed Win8! :loleverybody: 

#173 avreader1

avreader1
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

:loleverybody: You're SOO right!  I won't touch it!

#174 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

UEFI is the work of the devil - only use it for OEM pre-installed Win8! :loleverybody: 

No. :ranting2:

It is the work of a demented devil, a real, "good" devil, by definition is smart! ;)

DevilTextversion5A.gif

:cheers:

Wonko

#175 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

avreader1,

Now that you have your WinPE4.0 up & running, let me give you a few tips:
You can pretty much use any other boot.wim (x86 or x64), instead of your "default" one.
Read some of my previous posts about it. A lot of bootable ISO files actually have a boot.wim inside of them.

Also, there are many truly portable apps you can use with WinPE4.0 x64, for imaging and partitioning purposes.

Always nice to know that my guide is concise, accurate...and just works. 
cheers  :cheers:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe4.0, usb, boot, adk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users